Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Cool Another joins the fold

So today I went down to Best Buy and bought a PS3. I wasn't planning on getting a PS3 until a while but the price drop gave me incentive. That and once all the 60GB PS3's are gone a new 80GB version with no emotion engine (not being able to play PS2 or PS2 games out of the box) and shot back up to 600$ so I figured now was the best time. I got Virtua Fighter 5, Resistance: Fall of Man and Ninja Gaiden Sigma for it. I plan on getting Lair and Stranglehold when they release this month for the PS3 whenever I have the extra cash.

I'm not sure when I'll set it up I plan too once I get a new entertainment center. So once I do I'll test any PS2 and PS1 games for people who want that info. I remember Berserker and Meryl asking about Ico, I own that so whenever I'll get the chance I'll pop it in and see how it plays.

But in the end as much as I was critical of Sony, and still am of some of the decisions they make. That won't stop me from wanting to play their games, MGS4 and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune being high on my list.

Last edited by Beretta55; Jul 21st, 2007 at 05:36 PM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Congrats Beretta! The price drop is intriguing me too and I'm trying to gather up any money I can to purchase one before the 80gb hits the market. And yes, I am interested on how some PS2 games work on the PS3 so if you or anyone can let me know then that'll be dandy.

Also, does anyone know if the price drop is permanent or for a short time only? Because I don't have any money but I really want to get the PS3 for the $500 price. Any info would be appreciated.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

The price drop is not permanent; how long it will last I can't say. The new 80GB PS3's will be introduced in August. Once all the 60GB back stock everywhere has been sold they will no longer continue them and will just stick to the 80GB model. So there still could be 60GB PS3's all the way into the holiday season it just depends on how fast they are all bought out nationwide. Even with the price drop PS3's aren't exactly flying off the shelves but because of the price drop this has been the best month for them.

My guess is all the 60GB ones will be sold by this holiday season, since I believe Sony still has a lot of just sitting around. But even if you don't get the 60GB in time, Motorstorm will be given as a free game with the new 80GB model, but unless you like racing games the new model isn't all that exciting.

But I think once the 80GB model comes out Sony will lower its 600 dollar price tag too. The consumer market has shown that they do not approve of the high price and that the hundred dollar price drop reacted well with consumers. Because now that the best version of the 360 is out with the 120GB Xbox Elite for 480$ the extra twenty bucks for a new PS3 isn't that big of a hurdle for someone looking for a next-gen system.

But I still think the lack of an emotion engine is bogus for the new 80GB PS3, because not all of us have the ability to go online and download updates for older games. Because of this way of getting older titles I can't play any Xbox games on my 360 because I have no online access, Nintendo seemed to be the only one this generation that actually gave a crap about backwards compatibility.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #4
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
good stuff dude. i've yet to purchase one myself...there was a faint glimmer of hope when the "price drop" was announced, but that quickly went to hell when i found out that it wasn't going to be permanent . the only question now is when Sony will decide to drop the 80 gig to $500 - like you said, it can't stay at the current $600 price forever, but I don't see them dropping it any time soon either. (Side note: yet, in this current situation, Sony somehow thinks that an additional 20 gigs + MotorStorm justifies the extra 100 bones vs. the 60gig model...hmmm)

for one, the 80 gig is definitely not going to drop (in price and perhaps the pack-in as well) anytime before or during this holiday season since the people who would have bought it at its advertised price would obviously feel cheated. so that'd mean sometime next year.

but if you're like me - what with a broken PS2 and thus unable to play any of my games - then you can see how im starvin' to play something right now, lol. id rather save for a ps3 then buy a used ps2, but that doesn't look too good until sometime next year --> that and i simply refuse to spend the $600 + tax on just the console alone.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #5
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
But I still think the lack of an emotion engine is bogus for the new 80GB PS3, because not all of us have the ability to go online and download updates for older games.
Nor the desire. It's exactly this reason why I'm trying to snatch a 60GB ASAP even though they might last through the holiday season; and who knows, it might sell pretty well during the holidays and I don't want to take the risk of missing my chance and being stuck with the 80GB with an *woohoo* included game. Thanks for the info BTW.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #6
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, how goes it? Congrats, also, Beretta, on getting a ps3! I havent played a console game in over a year and a half, but know there are still some good ones out there. Im thinking Sony will be lowering the price of their ps3 considerably over the next year, fact is its just way over priced although blue ray format is a pricey thing to go with. Ps3 will be the console i go with when it comes time to get a new console, but the price will be noticeably cheaper than what its currently at. You have to be an almost ravid gamer at this point to justify the price, and many arent. I think due to that fact, Sony will have dropped the ps3 by at least another $200 or more by this time next year or the end of the year. Up to now there isnt anything out game wise to justify a purchase, so maybe within another year there will be. And as far as the compatibility to playing ps2 games, im happy to just keep my ps2, it wont be worth anything in a trade anyways... Peace!
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman
Hey guys, how goes it?
Hi goodman! Nice to see you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman
Up to now there isnt anything out game wise to justify a purchase, so maybe within another year there will be.
I agree with that, except for maybe GTA4 which I was reading about in PSM magazine...it sounds and looks pretty good which may or may not compel gamers to buy one just to play it. If I can't buy a PS3 anytime soon I'll probably end up buying all the games I want first then wait out, hopefully, for a 60GB.

You Can Help

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #8
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
The new 80 Gig PS3 doesnt have the emotion engine this is true, but it will contain the software that will allow for backward capabaility. Supposedly this is the same software that was released with the Eurpean Launch.

"The current 60 GB model utilizes a hardware and solution for backwards compatibility, namely the Emotion Engine chip. The new 80 GB PS3 will use a software solution for backwards compatibility, similar to that currently found in the PAL model," said Kimberly Otzman, SCEA Corporate Communications Representative.

So I dont think there anything to worry about. Last I heard the compatibility was at about 95% with the software and about 98% with the Emotion Engine. Don't quote me on that.

EDIT: We had a simular post about this where someone said they would never buy a PS3 now that there was no Emotion Engine in Europe, but I can't find it now. There where some links in there I believe that I found for imformation on the software that sony is using. If I can find it again Ill post the link.

The Magic Is Coming!

Last edited by jjmoohead; Jul 29th, 2007 at 12:31 AM..
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #9
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the double post (i cant seem to edit now)

I re-read the first post and you said that you wouldn't be able to play old PS1 and PS2 games out of the box or play older games they eventually make work with the software cause you don't have access to high speed internet. There really isn't anything to worry about with that. You see when the PS3's ship with the 80 Gig Hard drive the latest firmware update will ship with the box, well the latest up to the point of packaging. I would be more then willing to bet huge amounts of money that they will have software in place to play old games before it ships.

That being said, when new games are released the majority of them carry with them the newest update at the time they are packaged. This allows for your machine to be updated. It works much along the same line as say a computer having Direct X updated if its an older version on your computer when you install a new game.

I have had my PS3 since launch and I have no connection to internet available for my Unit. I have the latest updates too because I simply rent or purchase a game from time to time that comes with the latest updates. This updated firmware will contain any of the new software information required to play old games that have been updated to work with the PS3. Again though I must stress that I am more then sure that a high percentage of games will work on the release date of the PS3 80gig machine.

Also and finally, the 60 gig is all that is required. Since sony has no problems with you exchanging the 60 gig hard drive for a bigger hard drive on your own (without voiding warranty) there is really no need to wait for the bigger HD. The manual actually lists companies whose hard drives are recommended.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmoohead
Sorry for the double post (i cant seem to edit now)

I re-read the first post and you said that you wouldn't be able to play old PS1 and PS2 games out of the box or play older games they eventually make work with the software cause you don't have access to high speed internet. There really isn't anything to worry about with that. You see when the PS3's ship with the 80 Gig Hard drive the latest firmware update will ship with the box, well the latest up to the point of packaging. I would be more then willing to bet huge amounts of money that they will have software in place to play old games before it ships.

That being said, when new games are released the majority of them carry with them the newest update at the time they are packaged. This allows for your machine to be updated. It works much along the same line as say a computer having Direct X updated if its an older version on your computer when you install a new game.

I have had my PS3 since launch and I have no connection to internet available for my Unit. I have the latest updates too because I simply rent or purchase a game from time to time that comes with the latest updates. This updated firmware will contain any of the new software information required to play old games that have been updated to work with the PS3. Again though I must stress that I am more then sure that a high percentage of games will work on the release date of the PS3 80gig machine.

Also and finally, the 60 gig is all that is required. Since sony has no problems with you exchanging the 60 gig hard drive for a bigger hard drive on your own (without voiding warranty) there is really no need to wait for the bigger HD. The manual actually lists companies whose hard drives are recommended.
But is there actually any proof, or confirmation from Sony that they'll do that? Just because it’s possible doesn't exactly mean they'll do it. The latest 360's that come out don't have any backwards compatible Xbox title updates added to the system or the console updates either, you still have to go online and download them regardless of how old or new the 360 you bought is. I'm not trying to sound hateful of Sony or belittle your opinion, but there are many obvious things game companies should do but never follow-up on. The only thing I've heard on the issue is that the box for the 80GB PS3 says "limited connectivity with PS2 and PS1 games" which more then likely still implies having to go download more firmware updates.

Renting games to get new updates again may not sound worth it to people, renting a game on average is eight to nine dollars and some might not want to spend that money on a game they don't care about for a firmware update. I have noticed that whatever new 360 game I got it updated itself and some differences to my system. But I never had the majority of the updates that were made available over Xbox Live. If Sony does indeed put the newest firmware updates in all their new games then that is a plus. Since Ninja Gaiden Sigma is one of the newest PS3 games released I'm curious to see if I'll get the latest firmware update.

There is still the issue of the 600$ price tag, bundled with a game that is not worth it unless you absolutely love racing titles. I'm pretty sure they will lower it, but that could take a while to finally happen. But adding a bigger hardrive and not voiding the warranty is a big plus. I don't see where I'll need one since 60GB is big enough for me but it is a nice idea.

But if the newest PS3 does come with the firmware updates then I’ll gladly bow out, but I still haven’t heard any surefire proof on this matter. But even if it does the 60GB price drop is still the better option, Sony might drag the price out on their 80GB for a while and some really good games are just a few months away.

I'll also note that the PS3 seems to be the easiest to get online with. It does have wireless capabilities right out of the box and my internet set-up is wireless. So I should be able to get online with it without the hassle of wires and the like. You have to pay a hundred dollars for an Xbox 360 wireless adapter to have this option.

Last edited by Beretta55; Jul 29th, 2007 at 03:59 PM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #11
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
But is there actually any proof, or confirmation from Sony that they'll do that? Just because it’s possible doesn't exactly mean they'll do it. The latest 360's that come out don't have any backwards compatible Xbox title updates added to the system or the console updates either, you still have to go online and download them regardless of how old or new the 360 you bought is. I'm not trying to sound hateful of Sony or belittle your opinion, but there are many obvious things game companies should do but never follow-up on. The only thing I've heard on the issue is that the box for the 80GB PS3 says "limited connectivity with PS2 and PS1 games" which more then likely still implies having to go download more firmware updates.
Well I have not really searched for much information on the software concept on the North American Release of the product. But if the 100's of European websites stating that over 1700 games are playable via the software package that was used since their launch in March that I am more then confident you have nothing to worry about. Why would they make it work in Europe and say tough luck North America.

Quote:
Renting games to get new updates again may not sound worth it to people, renting a game on average is eight to nine dollars and some might not want to spend that money on a game they don't care about for a firmware update.
I was not saying you should go out and get a game just to get the latest firmware. The firmware is not required to play all the games and you don't need to update your machine unless the game requires it. If the game requires it, it will have the update. I am simply saying that its not required for you to have your PS3 connected to the internet. I have not had mine connected yet. It was simply a suggestion to what you could do if you Had to have the latest update for some reason. I rent games before I buy them, it has saved me hundreds of $ so I tend to get the updates from those with the acception of the games I purchase. Plus if you know a friend that got the latest update from a game, just borrow it and there you go.

Quote:
There is still the issue of the 600$ price tag, bundled with a game that is not worth it unless you absolutely love racing titles. I'm pretty sure they will lower it, but that could take a while to finally happen. But adding a bigger hardrive and not voiding the warranty is a big plus. I don't see where I'll need one since 60GB is big enough for me but it is a nice idea.
The idea of switching to the software system is really in the end to cut costs. I don't think we will see the savings right away but the software concept is much cheaper then the emulation chip manufacturing costs. This was stated prior to the European release of the PS3 that never received the emulation chip. With the loss of so much money on each PS3 system for sony even at a $600 price tag, I don't see an immediate price drop for the software system, but in the end will bring the gamers big savings...at least i hope.

Quote:
But if the newest PS3 does come with the firmware updates then I’ll gladly bow out, but I still haven’t heard any surefire proof on this matter. But even if it does the 60GB price drop is still the better option, Sony might drag the price out on their 80GB for a while and some really good games are just a few months away.
This was a hugely debated topic in Europe prior to the release of the PS3 because they thought they were being screwed over by sony and not going to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games. I am not sure what proof you want to see exactly, but I will keep my eye out for anything specific. I can't say we will know for sure what will work and wont work until the actual North American release, but if the 1700+ working launch titles in Europe doesn't set your mind at ease, I don't know if a quote from Sony's president will either. Please note that there are only 2500 or so titles for the PS2 available and some of those are multi release of different games (greatest hits versions, Anniversary titles, Collectors Editions)

I really don't think there is anything to worry about when it comes to this software idea. I mean its just new technology and its true that people are afraid of new concepts if they are not proven to work right away. However we know this system does work as its been in Europe for about 6 months. Just have to wait and see what sort of changes will take place from the PAL versions to the NTSC.

The Magic Is Coming!

Last edited by jjmoohead; Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:23 AM..