Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bookmooch

A few days ago I discovered this site. It's about book exchange. Some of you might want to give it a try. It works this way: you have books you want to give away, you sign up and add these book you don't mind keeping anymore to your personal list and gain points for each book you add. Other members do the same. Some member wants a book you have and requests it. For every book you send to other members you gain points. If you send the book abroad, you gain double points. Then people receiving your book leave sort of feedback and for that you gain points too. You can then spend your points to have some other people's book sent to you. You have a wishlist, and when the books in your wishlist become available you can decide to use your points to have them sent to you. You must at least send one book for every five you receive, that's the main rule. It's a bit like bookcrossing.

I'm a book fanatic myself, but sadly most books I own are not in English language and this means I'm not really able to take part in it, since books exchanged and requested are mainly English or American editions
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #2
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Nice idea, always funny how people seem to find new ideas. But I wouldn't do it, cause I'm sort of a gatherer when it comes to books. I have a lot of studybooks so they come in handy throughout the years.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #3
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

I know what you mean, but sometimes it happened to me to not like a book I bought. And really, I have no more space to keep also books I don't like here at home. I have too many I used to sell them as second hand material, but it doesn't pay much. I wouldn't mind giving away those books to get some other I might like more.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopu
sometimes it happened to me to not like a book I bought.
That tends to be the case with me as well...which is why I enjoy going to the library. I used to go a lot when I was a kid but I stopped when I moved to this town because the library around here completely stinks. Even worse, everyone goes in to check out DVDs instead of books, can you guys believe that? A year ago, I had to go for a research paper and there were so many people in the DVD section...when I was in line, the guy in front of me was checking out "Sleepy Hollow," "Die Hard," and a couple of other films I couldn't see. Shows the level of intellect of the people here. Bookstores are even worse because everyone goes in to simply get a cup of coffee and chat with friends. Oh and some "browse" through books but they really don't buy anything. It's all for show really.

The site seems a great way to try out a variety of different books and getting rid of the ones you don't want but I think I just prefer to buy them even if they end up to be bad. But thanks for recommending the site anyway.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Maybe you guys are not as desperate as I am for space... I really really have to get rid of some books I don't like now and then, just to be sure I don't have to to sleep in the bathroom - that in any case is a mess too
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:23 AM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Do you have a lot of books or do you just live in a very small apartment/flat? I would love to buy a whole bunch of books because I love books myself. I only resist because I have no time to read them and/or no money, hehe.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

The house is big. Very big in fact. My room is not big, it is small, but till now I could go and leave books everywhere around the house. But there's a limit to it, too. My parents are not helping. they also have their share of books and other stuff. We're not people to throw away everything like wise people. I don't know where to leave books anymore. I can't walk in my room because there are piles of books on the floor and on every piece of furniture. If I want to sit on the chair I have to leave the books on it on the bed or somewhere else. I know, it's pathetic, but it's the truth!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Soul Angel

Soul Angel is on a distinguished road
That sounds like an interesting site, espescially for those who really like books or maybe trying to find a book maybe, which has gone out of print.
I personally probably won't use it though, I usually like to keep my books which I get.
But still its a great idea for those who want to exchange their books.

"I'm back! But for how long who knows? But PS2Fantasy will always be on my mind!"
Soul Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #9
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopu
The house is big. Very big in fact. My room is not big, it is small, but till now I could go and leave books everywhere around the house. But there's a limit to it, too. My parents are not helping. they also have their share of books and other stuff. We're not people to throw away everything like wise people. I don't know where to leave books anymore. I can't walk in my room because there are piles of books on the floor and on every piece of furniture. If I want to sit on the chair I have to leave the books on it on the bed or somewhere else. I know, it's pathetic, but it's the truth!
Yikes, that's a lot of books indeed! I feel sorry for you that you have to go through so much effort just to get through your room but at the same time, I think it's great that you read and have so many books. I guess the site is a great thing for people like you. Good luck with it!

You Can Help

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #10
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
I can see your point Panuru... It's a shame if you need to get rid of books that if you'd got the space you wouldn't dispatch of. It's difficult to throw away books cuase it feels like your throwing away knowledge, I'm always jeaulous of those people with a big enough house to have a small library room in it...that would be something!

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #11
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

I'm going to receive Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut very soon, and I gave away Murakami's Norwegian Wood, the only book by this writer I really can't digest. I've been looking for Vonnegut's book for a long time, but in Italy seems to be out of print. I'm very happy I'm going to receive the copy in original language
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
I'm so joining this! I think it's a great idea!
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #13
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Other two books are gone and I am going to receive a couple myself very soon. I got rid of Out by Natsuo Kirino and The Prestige by Christopher Priest and I am going to receive a selection of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories and The Afterlife by John Updike. I'm not sure about Sherlock Holmes though. I gave it a try ages ago, but I was young and it bored me. It was also in Italian, so certain things resulted weird probably because of the translation. I hope I will enjoy the original more.