Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #21
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
I think the creators of the series mentioned Lynch as one of their original inspirational sources. Lynch is a great director. He would make a damn creepy version of Silent Hill, but average fans would not be happy, I suppose. Since his style is too "cerebral" and requires more than the "I like the game" attitude that usually draws players to movies based on games.
I know you aren't referring to Silent HIll fans like myself when saying that. It should be pretty obvious how much I enjoy the twisted psychological aspect and deep symbolism entwined into the game. Yes, it would have been great if the movie had retained the same quality in that aspect, but I still enjoyed it for the reasons I have already stated earlier. For those reasons I reccomend the movie. If you, however, feel that the idea of Silent HIll might be ruined for you because the perfect game to movie adaptation has not yet been made, then don't see it. Those of you who can get over that, though, and appreciate it for what it is should go and see it. There is no doubt about it to me that the visual and audio effects to recreate the atmosphere of this game were done extremely well. Is it possible I am more able to tune into what I like about a movie and not let what I don't like about it bother me as much as the average person? Possibly.

Quote:
There are people, like Bogart, who prefer a more stylized, creative, and independent adaptation of videogame movies while there are others, like Red, who prefer the stays-true-to-the-game feel of the film. But is either of them truly better than the other?
I actually didn't say I prefered either. I was just explaining I enjoyed that aspect which I felt was done well in the movie. I probably would have preferred that both of these styles were incorporated into a movie, actually, but I thought it was worth pointing out what was done well that atleast most people won't argue about. The film really is like candy for the senses, especially for a long time Silent Hill fan who has enjoyed getting lost in the game's environments over the years.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."

Last edited by Redpyramidhead; Apr 27th, 2006 at 08:52 PM..
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #22
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

My bad for doubl posting again, but it wouldn't let me edit my post again because it had been too long.

Quote:
So, while some of you have the right to say they liked the movie, some others can say they would sue Sony Pictures for tricking them into watching it.
That was a pretty one-sided and arrogant statement coming from you, Harry. I am surprised. And I really hope you're not referring to me as one of the "run of the mill Silent Hill fan who doesn't care about the deeper inner workings" either. That would be a wrong assumption. If you guys cannot understand why actually I enjoyed this movie just stop trying to figure out why in a manner that would have to assume I am shallow in some way. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with the cinematography used in this film. I will admit I am certainly not as experienced as you, Harry, in the classic horror film and because of that you may have more practical perspective for purposes of an effective horrow movie, but the bottom line is I did enjoy what I felt they did do right in this movie. I think this justifies another attempt at adapting Silent Hill into a move with a sequel or prequel.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #23
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
That was a pretty one-sided and arrogant statement coming from you, Harry. I am surprised. And I really hope you're not referring to me as one of the "run of the mill Silent Hill fan who doesn't care about the deeper inner workings" either. That would be a wrong assumption. If you guys cannot understand why actually I enjoyed this movie just stop trying to figure out why in a manner that would have to assume I am shallow in some way. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with the cinematography used in this film. I will admit I am certainly not as experienced as you, Harry, in the classic horror film and because of that you may have more practical perspective for purposes of an effective horrow movie, but the bottom line is I did enjoy what I felt they did do right in this movie. I think this justifies another attempt at adapting Silent Hill into a move with a sequel or prequel.
I don't see anything arrogant in what I said: different tastes for different folks. As a matter of fact, it's exactly a TWO-sided opinion, and like Bogart or others did, I said why I think what I think. Everybody is expressing his opinions here, and I was also speaking of the quality of the movie as a MOVIE; while I understand this might be out of place in a movie that is supposed to be just a commercial product, you cannot be offended if other fans of the series, that liked Silent Hill games mostly for reasons that in the movie are barely mentioned (like you also admitted), hate this movie. As a matter of fact, if these people hated the movie, is probably because to them, Silent Hill has little to do with what is shown in the movie.

You are being arrogant and self-centered assuming I am attacking you when I am giving my opinion about a movie and a genre of movies. I actually posted here at first as a moderator, because one of the posters, Bogart, was used as a reason for trolling just because he expressed his legitimate opinions. You liked and enjoyed the movie - good, that's why the movie was made. Others hated it and hated what it represents; it's just a matter of tastes.

Refrain from personal attacks, and keep talking about why you liked or disliked it. I think disliking in life is as much important as liking; and in any case, what would be the meaning of a forum if everybody agreed on everything?
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #24
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
I don't see anything arrogant in what I said: different tastes for different folks. As a matter of fact, it's exactly a TWO-sided opinion, and like Bogart or others did, I said why I think what I think. Everybody is expressing his opinions here, and I was also speaking of the quality of the movie as a MOVIE; while I understand this might be out of place in a movie that is supposed to be just a commercial product, you cannot be offended if other fans of the series, that liked Silent Hill games mostly for reasons that in the movie are barely mentioned (like you also admitted), hate this movie. As a matter of fact, if these people hated the movie, is probably because to them, Silent Hill has little to do with what is shown in the movie.

You are being arrogant and self-centered assuming I am attacking you when I am giving my opinion about a movie and a genre of movies. I actually posted here at first as a moderator, because one of the posters, Bogart, was used as a reason for trolling just because he expressed his legitimate opinions. You liked and enjoyed the movie - good, that's why the movie was made. Others hated it and hated what it represents; it's just a matter of tastes.
First of all, I did not say that you were an arrogant person, but that your statement was arrogant because it sounded that way to me. That's why I said I was surprised.

Second of all, it is now apparent that I read what you said wrong. That was my mistake. It just seemed that in the sentence I quoted it was written in a way that was strongly opinionated. If I were to try to put forth that opinion in a subliminal yet effective manner I would have written it the way you did. The big difference, though, is that you and I are not the same person and do not express ourselves the same so I misinterpreted what you said.

Also, I was not assuming that you were attacking me. Attacking is a rather strong word while just having a discussion here. I just wondered if you and others were assuming I enjoyed the movie for reasons I hadn't instead of really reading what I had posted and how I had taken from it in an artistic point of view (even though that view seems to be limited for me as far as films as I am not as schooled in them as some.)

This all isn't that big a deal really. It's just a movie. We all know that the true essence of Silent Hill is alive and well in the first 3 games of the series that we will still enjoy for years to come and never forget. It has already made its mark as a sign of the times to us. Those days that we spent playing/experiencing something that is so underrapreciated as one of the greatest modern works of art. That is what the videogame series is to us. It has been interactive art on a whole new level through storytelling and atmosphere that could be discussed for ages.

OK, this sidetrack here was pretty pointless and I admit it is kind of my fault. Please continue everyone.

BTW, atleast admit that I was pretty damn awesome in my role in the movie I think I deserve an oscar

_RED_ stuff

Last edited by Redpyramidhead; Apr 27th, 2006 at 11:59 PM..
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #25
Aubrey McFatum

Aubrey McFatum is on a distinguished road
I think I'll go, but I'm not expecting anything special. As others said, games to movies adaptations usually don't work. But it's still a way to spend a couple of hours in a fun way.

Do you believe in God?
The question is does God believe in me?

Aubrey McFatum
Aubrey McFatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #26
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

LOL... We all caught serious feelings in this thread.

So Harry, now that you have somewhat and somehow officially survived the translation of your beloved Silent Hill into a movie, in what ways do you plan on going on with your life?

Silent Hill: Origins certainly looks and sounds interesting. Too bad it's going to be on the PSP, which I actually have no intention of buying within the next 2 years or so. (if at all)

Oops... wrong forum

I hope I don't get penalized

_RED_ stuff

Last edited by Redpyramidhead; May 13th, 2006 at 07:01 PM..