Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM   #1
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
*EXTREME SPOILER* Do the ends justify the means?

I was thinking about this for a while and then I saw a thread made by another member, which brought this on.

Questions: Are the endings of the Final Fantasy games worth playing 50+ hours for?
Which were the best?
Which were the worst?
Have you noticed a change in the quality of the endings?

I'll post my opinions later and maybe make some comments on the posts ahead of mine. I'm kinda running out of time here.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:31 AM   #2
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, a tricky question... Endings huh? I guess first we have to analyse what an 'ending' is.

v. end·ed, end·ing, ends
v. tr.
To bring to a conclusion.
To form the last or concluding part of: the song that ended the performance.
To destroy: ended our hopes.

v. intr.
To come to a finish; cease.
To arrive at a place, situation, or condition as a result of a course of action. Often used with up: He ended up as an advisor to the president. The painting ended up being sold for a million dollars.
To die.
I take this to imply that an ending is something that brings your actions to a conclusion of some kind. You know why you did something and what you have done.

The style of ending, i.e. whether it be happy or sad does not affect whether an ending is good or not. I wouldn't say the ending to FFX is particuarly happy (I thought it was quite sad to be honest) but I would say it was a good ending. Why? I had a sense of closure, completion - I knew why I had been doing what I did. The fact that there were questions left open does not mean an ending is bad.

For example, at the end of VII we are left wondering if the human race survived - this has no relevance to the story that preceded it - it merely gives us something to think about after the event.

A bad ending is one that doesn't tell you anything. A bad ending is one that makes you wonder what the hell you've just spent the last 50 hours doing.

To be honest, I don't think the ending has that much influence on spending 50+ hours on a FF game - the game itself has more relevance.

I though Final Fantasy VIII had a fine ending - for the whole part I was satisfied with the conclusion. The problem I had with FFVIII was the preceding 50+ hours. Whether it has a great or poor ending does not influence my opinion that it's not a good game.

Conversely I love FFVII - and a bad ending wouldn't change the fact that the 50 hours I spent getting there were fun and enjoyable.

I think an ending is the cherry on an Ice Cream sundae - it has an effect only if the rest is good.

- S
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM   #3
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
True, Spank, and the facts are, that in some cases, the endings havent been as good as the overall games in final fantasy. Unlike some, i actually enjoyed FF9 quite a bit, i thought the storyline and graphics were quite good. Any game that will have me spending countless hrs leveling characters to be able to take down the last few bosses needs to be good in general. I also enjoyed FF7, i spent probably a hundred hrs playing that game, and beat the toughest boss with only Squall(or whatever his name is) the last twenty minutes because the other two kept dying. I took a picture of my score after that fight on the tv because i wanted to remember what an experience it was, indeed... Yes, in the case of the FF games, the game is usually worth playing through. I didnt care for FFX, so unfortunately i have a feeling my FF game days are coming to a close... they need to work on new ideas for other games, i know Square can do it...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:45 PM   #4
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Dactrius is on a distinguished road
I've played every Final Fantasy game, though I've only completed VII, IX and X. Personally I loved the endings to them all, but for me IX had the most style (Zidane on the vines - Whoa!) and X had the best emotion (Yuna and Tidus saying goodbye and then Tidus being reunited with Auron and Jecht).

In retrospect, a three minute ending (however graphical) seems a little inadequate for 50+ hours work, so to me the best experience is the game itself. Sure I want to know how it all finishes, but I get the most enjoyment out of the progression of the storyline. Besides the endings can be a bit of an anticlimax, something I'd rather avoid.

[PS2]: N/A
[XBox]: N/A
[GC]: N/A
[PC]: N/A
Dactrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
VI: Pretty fly for a SNES guy. Ok, i'm yet to see it, but i know most of it. Shadow's implied suicide (if you haven't already killed him!) is one of the more unique aspects of the ending, which clocks in at 20 minutes or so. The final boss battle is supposedly pretty good as well...

VII: by far 7's greatest weakness, is how it leaves things open at the end. So open in fact, that people can claim that "all humanity is destroyed" because of a few swirley green things seen moving towards a single city, (later in ruins) and with absolutely no other evidence to back it up. 7's ending isn't particurally wow, it doesn't sum things up nicely, but i can't say i was disappointed when I saw it: the final boss battles were enough.

VIII: I've always been biased towards 8, because it was my first FF. I liked the characters and story immensley, and thought the ending was emotional, funny and satisfying Well worth it as the only one i've seen on more than one playthrough...

IX: Liked it. 9 was a bit creaky in places, but the ending was probably the most conclusive, and the whole vine chase sequence was all good fun.

X:
Quote:
Whether it has a great or poor ending does not influence my opinion that it's not a good game.
Which pretty much sums it up. By Spank's Definition, FFX is technically a good ending: it has relevent to the rest of the game, and well orchestrated, buliding up to a climax that even I found quite emotional... but really, I just didn't like the story.

Tidus is the product of a dream made real.

I permenantly lost interest after that revelation came out. I don't expect FF games to be particuarlly realistic, but thats just plain stupid. Even in the realms of fantasy, thats is far too far-fetched, and irreverent for my liking. And then they had Yuna give some totally underwhelming primary-school speech to round it off - "everyone has lost someone" or something truely unmemorable. It's bad enough that I had to be forced to listen to her totally uninspired voice-work at all, but to end the game with it? EEWWW....

and the ending couldn't have been that good, or they'd have never made a Charlie's Angels 3.

Last edited by kupoartist; Apr 23rd, 2004 at 05:46 PM..
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #6
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
So far, the worst ending I have seen is FFIV. I was going to level to the max level in IV because I couldn't even beat the final boss at level 79, I ended up using a gameshark. When I saw the ending I was thinking, "I was going to level up to 99 for this?!"

I thought IX and VII had really good endings, two of the best. For the majority of them I thought it was well worth the effort to beat the game. Also, I think there was a huge jump in the quality of the endings between IV and VII, but I haven't played V and VI.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #7
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Smile

by definition i feel the worst ending would have to be FFX. That doesn't mean i didn't like it though.

best ending, was Final Fantasy 8. That was pretty good, even the credits were fun to watch.

Every ending has lived up to my expectations, even though FFX's was bad..I still liked it. I mean what can i say? It's hard for me to hate on a FF ending. they're all good.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Apr 29th, 2004 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: grammar nazi's
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Diablometroid

Diablometroid is on a distinguished road
VIII: I've always been biased towards 8, because it was my first FF. I liked the characters and story immensley, and thought the ending was emotional, funny and satisfying Well worth it as the only one i've seen on more than one playthrough...

Me too, kupo...my friend is trying to get me to play IX, although it just doesn't appeal to me as much
Diablometroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #9
Kaolla Su
Banned Member

Kaolla Su is on a distinguished road
FF8= good and funny
FF7= bad
Kaolla Su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #10
absinthe_fairy

absinthe_fairy is on a distinguished road
I've seen the ending to VII, VIII, IX and X-2.
I liked them all. I feel happy knowing that I've completed the game itself and gotten the chance to see how it finishes. I don't just play them to see the endings, I play them because I love them. My sister thought FFVII's ending was a bit of a let down. I thought it was cool. Kaolla Su is right, FFVIII's ending is funny.
absinthe_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote