Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Things You Hate

And here's the counter to the other thread . . . .

What are elements of anime or manga that you absolutely despise?
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
In animes, a great plot with beautiful visuals ending up to have the most annoying characters. Can't stand that; it makes my blood boil.
In manga (mostly shoujo), I can't stand it when the main character doesn't end up with the person I feel he/she should end up with. Like this one mangaka, Miki Aihara (I believe). In two mangas, she made the main character go for the guy I hate. I know she's trying to go for plot twists, but it's irritatting.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #3
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
I hate it when there's too much love incorporated into it and when a guy has a rose.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

and when a guy has a rose.
LMAO! It's supposed to be a "romantic" type of a thing, but I can see how it can be kinda annoying too. *thinks of Tuxedo Mask*

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #5
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

I also think about James from Pokemon. No offence, but I hate Tuxedo Mask.(I've only seen one episode and didn't care for it)
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #6
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I can't stand it when an anime has a main character that is all ditzy and retarded. It's just sooo terribly annoying ! It kind of just makes the whole anime lose much of its worth.

I also very much dislike when animes are rushed. For example, if and anime throws in ALL of its characters in the first episode, I think it loses progression. On the other hand, if characters are introduced too late and end up being important to the plot, that just annoys me greatly. Ugh.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:40 AM   #7
Seraph Sephiroth

Seraph Sephiroth is on a distinguished road
What's with the hating roses, thing? *slaps forehead* whatever.. anyway..

The only thing I think I'll EVER hate about anime, is when its dubbed into american (no not english! american!) and given bad voice-actors, the plot is changed from what it once was, and suddenly the gay lesbian couple, turn into cousins! gah I hate this country! Whens the next flight to Milasia?

Anyway... I'm getting fed up with anime becoming americanized.. its sickening when you find out what the censors are doing to our beloved shows!

And just for the record, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon is my favorite anime of all time, and always will be! Zoicite is a MAN and is in love with Kunzite (Malachite)!, and Sailor Uranus and Neptune are GAY! They are NOT COUSINS! and Chibi Moon never calls Usagi (serena) "Momma!" .. and that's how I like it! lol!

"Let's take back the planet together..." -Seraphim Sephiroth
Seraphim Sephiroth's Sephiroth Shrine
Seraph Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #8
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph Sephiroth

The only thing I think I'll EVER hate about anime, is when its dubbed into american (no not english! american!) and given bad voice-actors, the plot is changed from what it once was, and suddenly the gay lesbian couple, turn into cousins! gah I hate this country! Whens the next flight to Milasia?

Anyway... I'm getting fed up with anime becoming americanized.. its sickening when you find out what the censors are doing to our beloved shows!

And just for the record, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon is my favorite anime of all time, and always will be! Zoicite is a MAN and is in love with Kunzite (Malachite)!, and Sailor Uranus and Neptune are GAY! They are NOT COUSINS! and Chibi Moon never calls Usagi (serena) "Momma!" .. and that's how I like it! lol!
Now that you point that out I understand what you are talking about, so even the DVDs over here have Uranu and Neptune as cousins or are they still they way they were in the Japanese version. ALso now that you point it out I do despise what the censors are doing.

Quote:
What's with the hating roses, thing? *slaps forehead* whatever.. anyway..
It's not the roses it's the guys with the roses all the time you see them. Something just clicks and I get all mad at the sight of the guys with the roses.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #9
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
Hero's who cant understand the Plot, no matter how obvious it is, until near the end of the story...
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #10
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

I don't think I've seen that in anything. I wouldn't mindthat though.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #11
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by mark0

Hero's who cant understand the Plot, no matter how obvious it is, until near the end of the story...
ROFLMAO! That's so very true! There's this one pretty cheesy anime called Samurai Shodown that I saw a few years back and the hero of the story was a real blockhead. I mean, he just couldn't understand anything going on....all he cared about was defeating his enemies and being "the strongest". He finally got what was happening near the end.

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph_Sephiroth

the plot is changed from what it once was
Yes, I agree with that and also your comment about animes being "Americanized". Ranma 1/2 is also another good example, besides Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon. I read somewhere that the Ranma series has been so completely Americanized, everything is just wrong. The English titles are not translated from the Japanese ones. The plots in certain episodes have been changed and the language as well. All that in order for it to relate to American audiences. That's quite sad.
I also can't stand when certain scenes are cut out from animes and on the DVD, they say "Uncut" when it's really not. A good example of this is the DB and DBZ series. CN has cut out so much stuff from the original episodes and on the so-called "Uncut" DVDs, there are still plenty of scenes which had been taken out. If you're a DB/DBZ fan, it's impossible to watch the pure and real uncut episodes unless you have lived in Japan at the time of its airing on TV. I read that because of the scene cutting, many episodes turned out unfunny and unexciting. Even the acclaimed DB series...as good as many say it is now, it's even better on the real uncut version. To be honest, I don't like this anime but I even feel sad that so much has been taken out.

You Can Help

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #12
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Really? Even the DVDs with the japanese voices and subtitled?
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:12 AM   #13
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Yes...the DVDs with subtitles and the original Japanese voices. Those are the ones that are supposedly "uncut". It's quite sad actually...

You Can Help

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #14
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

I had no idea, it really is sad. But what can ya do about it.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #15
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Hmm, what i hate about anime,? Let me think...

first off, like said before, a quick beginning, without thought to how the story should progress. With the whole idea that the audience should get the entire story line in one or two episodes. This makes for a bad character introductions, and ruins the intensity you get as you slowly learn more and more about what's going to happen in the end.

I hate charatcers who are too predictable, along with story lines. When you know what's going to happen, with the fights, plots, charatcer development, and love and drama intertwines. I don't want it to be too out there, but still have fun twists and suprizes.

Voice overs can really annoy me at times, but usually i like it subbed, but when i'm tired, or at a friends house watching anime, i like the dubbing to be good, so i don't have to bother with all of that reading crap.

One of my biggest pet peeves in anime is inconsistant animation. Like seen in Outlaw Star, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, and Hellsing. It drives me insaine.

The music, it has to be good, especially when the art and story is good. Sometimes the music can just ruin an awesome series, and sometimes help one out a lot.

Unlike what was metioned before, i love drama and strong emotional struggles in anime, usually referring to some sort of love story mixed in with the show. Gives the characters so much more feeling and intensity. And adds so much to the story. Can't go wrong. Like, imagine escaflowne without the love stuff in it? All it would be was a drawn out mecha battle.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #16
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown

Unlike what was metioned before, i love drama and strong emotional struggles in anime, usually referring to some sort of love story mixed in with the show. Gives the characters so much more feeling and intensity. And adds so much to the story. Can't go wrong. Like, imagine escaflowne without the love stuff in it? All it would be was a drawn out mecha battle.
Many people (in the US mostly, no offense) really can't stand all the love stories going on. Especially guys (no offense again). People think it's unnecessary and flat-out annoying. But I agree with you CC. A nice love story can be a great addition to any anime, but it just depends on the plot. Like, HeatGuy-J has none of it whatsoever.

You Can Help

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #17
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Many people (in the US mostly, no offense) really can't stand all the love stories going on. Especially guys (no offense again). People think it's unnecessary and flat-out annoying. But I agree with you CC. A nice love story can be a great addition to any anime, but it just depends on the plot. Like, HeatGuy-J has none of it whatsoever.
Hey!! jk jk yeah your pretty right. all my friend's on anime just like to see people get shot in the like. this is what it's like.

Love stories suxxor!! killing people with sword's and pistol's! roxxor your boxxor's!

But i like a good old love story now and then. tenchi muyo is one of my favirote seris.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 05:45 AM   #18
Saint Kittya

Saint Kittya is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thank you so much Seraph Sephiroth! I too can't stand american dubbing. Never mind that I am American. Arg! The dubbing of petshop of horrors just makes me want to chuck the DVD at the producers! Why beyond me, I actual listened to their horrid commentary! They actually whined about not be able to add the stuff they wanted! Stuff like changing a mourning (the poor guy lost his wife) character into one making jokes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph Sephiroth

I also thank you for this. I knew I wasn't the only fan of the original Sailor Moon!
Saint Kittya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 05:58 AM   #19
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Kittya

The dubbing of petshop of horrors just makes me want to chuck the DVD at the producers!
I actually thought the voices for Petshop of Horrors was pretty good...as for accuracy to the original Japanese...I'm not too sure about that.

Quote:
They actually whined about not be able to add the stuff they wanted! Stuff like changing a mourning (the poor guy lost his wife) character into one making jokes.
That...I did not see. I can't believe that...why-oh-why would they want to do that? How annoying...

You Can Help

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:09 AM   #20
Saint Kittya

Saint Kittya is on a distinguished road
Angry

The voices are good? Good?! How could you say that! As hard as it is to believe with him being a dective and everything, Leon is only 24 years old! To be honest if I watched the thing blind folded I would have pictured Leon to in his late thirties with a heavy gut! His voice is so wrong for him!

Okay, here we go, if you don't have it already buy or rent pet shop of horrors on DVD. Go to the special features menu, they have a director's commentary, and put on delicous.

Spoiler: show
When Iason goes to the mermaid's tank the crew actually start saying (in a sad tone, that's why I say whinning) that there were a little upset. It seems they wanted to add to Iason's converstation with the count. They kept trying to find a way to make him something like "Is she wearing a costume?"

Honestly, the guy's voice doesn't sound nearly as sad or torn up as the japanese one. The english version has him just going like "Eh, so this is the pet huh?"

Although I will give the crew a little credit. They had said originally D was going be turned into a woman like Zoisite of Sailor Moon. Thankfully the crew protested that. I actually believe them because I forget which video I have that has this, but on the trailer to petshop of horrors it's a women't voice who is speaking D's famous line.

Also put on the english language but japanese subtitles. You can so many differences! In certain scenes it's liking watching another movie! Leon doesn't call D things like madam butterfly!

Also the kirin and the two men's conversations are completely different!

Sorry to rant so much, and for being a little harsh. I don't believe this is the worst dub ever but it defintley gets on my nerves. especailly when some of my friends who refuse to watch anime with subtiles or in Japanese want to watch it with me.
Saint Kittya is offline   Reply With Quote