Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #21
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

Meryl, it's going to Toonami, meaning it's going to be butchered. I hear they're takin out all the blood and re-dubbing lots of it.
NO! You have got to be joking! Omg...taking out all the blood? That's...that's...that's impossible! They can't do that! That'll just ruin the series! Oh man, I'm so ticked off. And what's the point of re-dubbing it anyway? The dub that comes on the DVDs were fine...this is really annoying.

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Does that mean you are going to watch it just for laughs? I would, but I never saw much of it. Also, I would like to see what they do with the episodes I have seen.
Well, since I've seen the entire thing, I would watch it for laughs and to see how much they screwed it up, but to tell you the truth, this is pissing me off. Rurouni Kenshin is such a great series and the way Toonami is going to mess it up so much...it's a disgrace. I really feel sorry for those who haven't been able to watch it and now watches these edited versions.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #22
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Don't worry, I was planning on getting the DVD boxed sets as soon as I can.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #23
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, since I've seen the entire thing, I would watch it for laughs and to see how much they screwed it up, but to tell you the truth, this is pissing me off. Rurouni Kenshin is such a great series and the way Toonami is going to mess it up so much...it's a disgrace. I really feel sorry for those who haven't been able to watch it and now watches these edited versions.
I agree wholeheartedly. People think it's good for them to get anime, but in actuality, it's not. It's horrible what they can do to a good series. Look at DBZ. An above average show in it's original Japanese form, a crappy show in it's CN form. Kenshin is a classic, and noted as one of the best anime ever...should not be edited. It's a masterpiece.

Quote:
I've never seen dubbed Rurouni Kenshin either.
Neither have I, but the original voices are so cool I don't see a need to watch the dub.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #24
Hadoken

Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Well, I've been watching some kenshin, and I can obviously see why people say its great. I think it'd just look horrible with the blood edited out on CN. So I just hope they don't air it. Doing so might just make people see the series as "crap", which it isnt. Take what suzuki_fanboy said about DBZ, the same could happen to kenshin. But I hope not.
Btw, I watched the samurai x: kenshin memories dvd's first, and it was just amazing, then I started watching the tv series, which is also great. But I noticed how himura kenshin's personality is different in both of them. Guess it was just added humor parts for the tv series. But how come the voice of the character sounds female? That puzzles me sometimes.
Hadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #25
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hadoken

Btw, I watched the samurai x: kenshin memories dvd's first, and it was just amazing, then I started watching the tv series, which is also great. But I noticed how himura kenshin's personality is different in both of them. Guess it was just added humor parts for the tv series. But how come the voice of the character sounds female? That puzzles me sometimes.
Well, if you've saw the OVAs first and then saw the TV, it's easy to see why the personalities are different.

Spoiler: show
Because Kenshin killed Tomoe (his first wife) and her fiance (the dude who died in the beginning) and his cross-shaped scar came from it, he promised to be a rurouni (a wanderer). He swore he'll never kill again.

The tone of the OVA is extremely dramatic and in the TV it's more light-hearted and "slapstick" mainly because Himura is a wanderer in the TV, while in the OVA, he's an actual samurai. He's...how would you say...."at peace" in the TV. Plus, in the TV, it's the Meiji era where it's a peaceful time. The OVA's setting was near the end of the previous era.

As for the voices, Himura's Japanese voice actor is a woman. Usually, for slightly feminine or feminine guys, they ask women to do the voices because only women voices can create that "soft and gentle" type of voice for those type of guys. Like Yahiko's voice actor is a woman too.

Quote:

Neither have I, but the original voices are so cool I don't see a need to watch the dub.
I agree, but the dub version is really quite good too. Actually, when I first watched Kenshin I watched the dubbed version and liked it for a while. The only reason why I saw the sub was because I couldn't wait for the VHS (yes, this was during the "VHS" period ) so I went online and bought subs. Now, I do prefer the Japanese to the English, the but English really is great. Especially Yahiko's voice...terrific! It's so much alike to the Japanese, IMO.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #26
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

I had seen one DVD and I watched it without the subtitles because I end up reading them rather than watching what's going on above. I thought the voices were really good, especially Saito's.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:06 AM   #27
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

I had seen one DVD and I watched it without the subtitles because I end up reading them rather than watching what's going on above. I thought the voices were really good, especially Saito's.
I actually love Saito's voice in the original Japanese.

Thinking about all these dubbing made me come up with another question: If they do decide to re-dub the voices, how will they do it? Will they call the original English voice actors or what? And, wouldn't it cost a lot of money to change a few parts here and there? I mean, if I were the voice actor, I would demand more money to do a re-dub since I already did it the first time for the DVDs.

You Can Help

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #28
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Are you talkig about for CN? If you are then all they do is take the tapes or DVDs already made and edit them their selves for television. That's why DBZ is going to be finished until sometime this spring or summer.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #29
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Oh, is that how they do it? I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

You Can Help

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 08:05 PM   #30
Fox

Fox is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No, it sucks.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #31
Suzuki_Fanboy

Meryl...the Samurai X: Memories OVA's are the same as the Seisou Hen OVA's...right? Or are they the same as Trust and Betrayal?

Thankfully, I haven't seen the Seisou Hen OVA's...I need to finish the series first.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 02:19 AM   #32
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:

Meryl...the Samurai X: Memories OVA's are the same as the Seisou Hen OVA's...right? Or are they the same as Trust and Betrayal?

Thankfully, I haven't seen the Seisou Hen OVA's...I need to finish the series first.
No, they're not the same. In Japan, the first Kenshin OVAs are called Tsuioku-hen and were released around 1998. In the US, they called it "Trust" and "Betrayal". These were created to show Kenshin's past.

Seisou-hen is the final OVA that comes after the TV...it is the final ending of the Kenshin saga. These OVAs came out in 2002.

It is best not to see Seisou-hen until after you've seen the TV and "Trust" and "Betrayal". I'm not saying it's forbidden, but it's just better not to.

Since Seisou-hen is an OVA, it has the same tone as the first OVAs ("Trust" and "Betrayal") so if you see it, don't expect a happy setting or atmosphere like the TV. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say it's quite depressing.

You Can Help

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:20 PM   #33
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Sounds interesting, thanks for the heaqds up.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM   #34
Suzuki_Fanboy

So which ones are the "Memories" OVA's?
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:11 PM   #35
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Whoops, sorry for not answering your question....uh, fully. The "Memories" OVA are "Trust" and "Betrayal"....since they show Kenshin's past, that's why in Japan it's called "Memories" or Tsuioku-hen.

Seisou-hen is the "Passing of Time" Arc.

You Can Help

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:38 PM   #36
Suzuki_Fanboy

Aye, thank you Meryl.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:30 PM   #37
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
I can't take this bashing of Cartoon Network! Not that it is a godsend or anything but without it a lot of people would not be exposed to anime. And you have to look at the majority of people who watch Cartoon Network. Kids. Oh well, with that out of the way I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the series.

I noticed that CN does cut out a lot of blood and language (though Adult Swim is no where near as butchered as Toonami) But if you watch Reign: The Conqueror on Adult Swim you will notice a lot of blood.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #38
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

I can't take this bashing of Cartoon Network! Not that it is a godsend or anything but without a lot of people would not be exposed to anime. And you have to look at the majority of people who watch Cartoon Network. Kids. Oh well, with that out of the way I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the series.
True, but why bother bringing over anime that are slightly for teenagers and not really for kids? Like, before, when they used to show Sailormoon, Outlaw Star, and a few others (I forget), they censored a lot all because it was "too adult" for the audience, which were kids. But, why bother bringing it over then, and cutting out many things, then showing it? Might as well bring over something like Doraemon. It was only later when they started showing Pokemon, Digimon, and all the other harmless animes.

Quote:
I noticed that CN does cut out a lot of blood and language (though Adult Swim is no where near as butchered as Toonami) But if you watch Reign: The Conqueror on Adult Swim you will notice a lot of blood.
That's because it's on Adult Swim, where it's aimed for older audiences, so a lot of blood isn't an issue. That's why Cowboy Bebop was shown on Adult Swim. The problem with the Rurouni Kenshin series is that it might be shown on Toonami, where even a drop of blood isn't even shown. And, like Spike Spiegel, Kenshin and other characters get into fights and blood will be around. But if they censor it, then all the cuts on the bodies will be completely "bloodless". That's why I am against Kenshin being shown on Toonami. I mean, what about the fight with Shishio (for those of you who watched that far)? Is Kenshin going to be completely cut and bruise-free?

You Can Help

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #39
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
True, but why bother bringing over anime that are slightly for teenagers and not really for kids? Like, before, when they used to show Sailormoon, Outlaw Star, and a few others (I forget), they censored a lot all because it was "too adult" for the audience, which were kids. But, why bother bringing it over then, and cutting out many things, then showing it? Might as well bring over something like Doraemon. It was only later when they started showing Pokemon, Digimon, and all the other harmless animes.
Good point. But I am not saying the kids don't like the blood and cursing. It's the parents I tell you! And who has the money and the power to win in court?

"Eat your peas and don't watch what your father is watching!" "Damn it Mom, I hate peas!" "Did you just say damn? Go to your room right now!"

I think the kids like the action and most parents are ok with that. But when blood starts flying around they get scared that their child will end up in prison for life. But what I was saying is that CN exposes a lot of people to anime and it has gotten a lot of people to go out and buy a lot of animes that will probably never make it to CN.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #40
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

The parents are my biggest concern, if it wasn't for them there would be a lot better stuff on TV. I thought I remember hearing there was going to be an anime channel on cable or satellite?