Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:02 PM   #21
macario
Banned Member

macario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by KraftSLU

Halo and THPS3 are online... sorta. There are programs out, namely gamespy and xbconnect that let you fool your xbox into thinking that other xbox's hooked up to the internet are actually on your LAN. Gaming is free and you can play people all across the world already!

As for who will rule in one year, anyones guess. My guess is that noone will rule. Each system is going to have some killer exclusives and is going to be pushing online play and the boundaries of their systems. Im sure no matter what system you buy, you won't be disappointed with it!
for some reason I agree with you, you wont be dissappointed with any system, every person has a system they were meant to play and they were meant to own. I own a playstation2 because I love the cool games that come out for the ps2,I would name them but it would take really long but am sure every one knows which games am talking about, plus the ps2 has amazing graphics just not the best. How come some people say that xbox and gc has lots of better graphics than ps2 when gran turismo 3 graphics can make an xbox, and gc look weak. now all I am saying is that dont talk crap about the ps2 when it can make realistic graphics just like any other system.
Old May 30th, 2002, 03:42 PM   #22
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

KraftSLU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by macario

...How come some people say that xbox and gc has lots of better graphics than ps2 when gran turismo 3 graphics can make an xbox, and gc look weak...
Just FYI, people are saying the graphics are better due to superior hardware. And there have already been games to prove this. Rogue leader for GC and DOA3 for Xbox are both said to be pushing 15 million polys a second with amazing effects and anti-aliasing. GT3 pushes 8 if I remember right. Im not saying that GT is a beautiful game, it has great textures and looks wonderful, but it doesn't push through near the numbers that box and gc games do.

Also, industry analysts are predicting that the cube and xbox will both end up pushing about 32 mps games when it is said and done, but have capped the ps2 at around 24 mps in real life runs.
Old May 30th, 2002, 06:46 PM   #23
Lord_Of_NoTiNg
CheeseAndBreadGuy

Lord_Of_NoTiNg is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Just FYI, people are saying the graphics are better due to superior hardware. And there have already been games to prove this. Rogue leader for GC and DOA3 for Xbox are both said to be pushing 15 million polys a second with amazing effects and anti-aliasing. GT3 pushes 8 if I remember right. Im not saying that GT is a beautiful game, it has great textures and looks wonderful, but it doesn't push through near the numbers that box and gc games do.

Also, industry analysts are predicting that the cube and xbox will both end up pushing about 32 mps games when it is said and done, but have capped the ps2 at around 24 mps in real life runs.
Of course the ps2 is 2years old it can't do 32mps but its still great hardware
Old May 30th, 2002, 07:06 PM   #24
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Of_NoTiNg

Of course the ps2 is 2years old it can't do 32mps but its still great hardware
Oh, im not arguing that it doesn't have great graphics. GT3:Aspec blew me away, as have many PS games. I was merely commenting on why people say the xbox has better graphics than the ps2.
Old May 30th, 2002, 09:18 PM   #25
Lord_Of_NoTiNg
CheeseAndBreadGuy

Lord_Of_NoTiNg is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Oh, im not arguing that it doesn't have great graphics. GT3:Aspec blew me away, as have many PS games. I was merely commenting on why people say the xbox has better graphics than the ps2.
oh ok
Old May 30th, 2002, 09:21 PM   #26
Esjay
::Viewtiful::

Esjay is on a distinguished road
KraftSLU, the PS2 DOES have an excellent FPS coming out soon, Timesplitters 2, and yes, it is an online game. As for games not being exclusive to the PS2, I think that only MGS2Substance will be the only Metal Gear game on any system besides the PS2, and all future GTA titles are going to be exclusive to the PS2. And Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and other series will be exclusive to the PS2. Online games for the PS2 will also hold their own against it's competition. Resident Evil Online and Timeplitters 2 look to be excellent titles. I still think that the PS2 is the best way to go
Old May 30th, 2002, 11:23 PM   #27
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
i got ps2,gamecube and no xbox i wanted a xbox for so long but i did not have the money to get one cause it was 300$ dollors back then. but now with the price cut i will get one this upcomeing monday im so happy and no im not a fanboy.
Old May 30th, 2002, 11:47 PM   #28
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

Pimp_Daddy507 is on a distinguished road
Im sure u guyz are sayin that i should just listen to MY oppinion, not OTHERS. but lets be realistic, i have to decide on which system to actually get. i cant buy em all, i aint rich, i can barelly afford one. im askin u guys to try to pursuay me into a system and so far im already hooked on ps2. i love the games, and the online play really excites me. dont get me wrong, xbox and gc r cool too, but i aint got proof of that...........yet

thx
Old May 31st, 2002, 12:32 AM   #29
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Alright, Im going to try and give as unbiased a gaming opinion as I can for all this... so here goes:

PS2

Pros:
Wonderful gaming library
Backwards compatibility to all your original PS games
Great 3rd party support
Built in DVD playback

Cons:
2 Controller ports
no Hard Drive (estimated to be 80 dollars for add-on)
no modem (estimated to be 40-50 dollars for add-on)
stats less impressive than gc or xbox

What I think: PS2 is a great choice of console to pick up. The day you buy it there are lots of great games that you can get with it and take home to play. Unfortunately those few games seem to swim in a sea of mediocre to crappy games when compared to other system lineups. Also, with less hardware there is the chance you will get less life out of your ps2, but there is also the chance that it will go on for a long time, just like the SNES did. The PS2 has, and will get more great games. Their online venture is kinda unsure at the moment, you will need a 50 dollar modem to even access the net... and the network they showed set up at e3 lagged so bad the game was unplayable. Severe embarrasment. Also, if you want to play rpgs that require a lot of save info (like the new FF) you will have to also buy an 80 dollar hard drive.

Gamecube:

Pros:

portable, great if you take your game system places
nintendo has a tradition of great gaming with familiar characters
advanced hardware design that beats out xbox hardware in areas

Cons:

Will always be seen as 'kiddy' and won't get as many adult titles as other consoles
People will argue that games are being rehashed to death
no harddrive or internet connection without addon

What I think: Nintendo realize they screwed up with the N64 and are out to redeem themselves with the cube. They had a wonderful E3 show and have people anticipating metroid prime, mario sunshine, starfox and zelda amongst other titles. Nintendo has a long line of gaming tradition and most likely won't let consumers down, whether they are looking for kid games or adult games. If you are looking to play dvd's you might want to avoid this, unless you are willing to shell out the big bucks to get the Panasonic Q.

XBox

Pros:
Advanced hardware, HD and ethernet included
DVD playback, but 30 dollar remote is required
In-game Dolby 5.1 encoding
MS is backing it up....

Cons:
DVD player costs money
ethernet port excludes people without broadband
some complain about standard controller

What I think: Xbox is arguabely the most technically advanced machine out right now, though GC is about equal due to extra texture pipelines and hardware lights. Xbox definately won't be beat in the sound department as it is capable of dolby 5.1 encoding *in game* which no other system can do. So if you are an audiophile, big + there! Xbox is probably the best geared up for online play as the ethernet and hd is included. No modem users is kinda crappy, but that keeps the system from lagging. Lag probably won't be much of a problem anyways as MS is investing 3 Billion dollars into the system. Of course, the XBox's main concern is RPGs... or the lack thereof. Morrowind is coming out soon, but that game is iffy... so XBoxers are left to wait for Project ego (slated 2003) and Star Wars: KOTOR (slated holiday season).

K, now that I've gone through all of that, here is why you should buy each system.

PS2: A definate if you want a large selection of games from action, to RPG, to whatever else you have in mind. Be wary of online play, as you have to buy the accessories, and it looks like each game is going to set up it's own server, which means if they decide to charge money, you will have to pay a charge for every game you want online. also, only 2 control ports means you have to buy an adapter if you want to play with 4 friends, so tack that on to the bill. I do find it rather ridiculous that a ps2 (200 bucks) plus the hard drive (80 bucks) plus the modem (40 bucks) will cost much more than an xbox with the same components (200 bucks)

GC: Buy this if you are a nintendo-junkie. Most of the blockbuster games you will see for this will star mario, link, pokemon, metriod, etc. etc. There will be other quality games out, like Res. Evil, but the focus will always be on the nintendo line up for sure. Also, GC has no DVD playback and has smaller disks so you can't play cds or anything on it.

XBox: Probably the biggest gamble. MS is looking to be in your living room and this is their tool. Most impressive as far as power and innovation are concerned. Ingame dolby is pheomenal, Hard drive was a wonderful idea, so was the ethernet port. Now that people have seen its power, developers are less cautious to jump on board. I think Xbox has the most chances of having a successful online launch also. MS is running all the servers and chargin a flat fee (50 bucks for a the service for a year, a free game and the voice communicator) and is dumping tons of money to ensure lag free game. As mentioned before, if you are huge into RPGs, this might not be your system.. at least not until Ego, KOTOR, Galaxies and some other games come out. Yeah, the box might be the biggest gamble as it is the new kid, but it has the potential for the biggest payoff.

Im not going to tell you what to do, but hopefully that helps a bit. If you make me tell you what to buy then I also want to tell you what clothes to where, what to eat for breakfast and who your friends are just for fun
Old May 31st, 2002, 10:20 AM   #30
Esjay

you seem to put a lot of emphasis on online play. I'm not really into it. And the 2 controller port problem can be fixed with a multi tap, which doesn't cost very much. And people like myself do not care about a game's stats, all that matters in the long run is the games.
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:32 AM   #31
Neo_Soldier28
Si|ent Protector

Neo_Soldier28 is on a distinguished road
Gamecube is a nice system and has some good multiplayer and single player games but overall the ps2 has the developers, the ideas and the capability i like them both but i recommend a ps2.
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:38 AM   #32
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Esjay
you seem to put a lot of emphasis on online play. I'm not really into it. And the 2 controller port problem can be fixed with a multi tap, which doesn't cost very much. And people like myself do not care about a game's stats, all that matters in the long run is the games.
Actually I empasized online play as a reason that you might want to look at an xbox. And I did also state that if you want the largest game selection that you should go ps2.

Quote:
A definate if you want a large selection of games from action, to RPG, to whatever else you have in mind.
As for the multiplayer tap, yeah. It might not cost a whole lot, but it does suck to have to spend extra money on it. That was shortsighted on Sony's part, you have to admit...
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:54 AM   #33
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

u need a multitap for ps2!? i thought their was 4 ports!? that sucks
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:59 AM   #34
Esjay

it only costs like 20$, the amount of controller ports on a system should not be THAT obsessed over. I am in no way saying that the XBox sucks, it's an impressive system and it has the potential to go far in the console gaming world, but PS2 is all of that and a bag of chips. I would recommend (sp) getting a ps2, even though it has a few minor shortcomings, it's strengths heavily outweigh it's weaknesses, making it my personal favorite next generation console
Old May 31st, 2002, 12:05 PM   #35
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

either way, all these next gen consoles have great gfx, better than what i got (ps1)

and which system is the multitap on!? PS2 OR XBOX?

Also, it seems if GC is out of the picture, so, what are the drawbacks of Xbox and Ps2???

(graduation in 3 more days)
Old May 31st, 2002, 12:11 PM   #36
Esjay

Kraft made an unbiased post on the second page which included all 3 of the systems' pros and cons, read that, and then tell us what you're gonna get
and btw, the MultiTap is on the PS2
Old May 31st, 2002, 12:20 PM   #37
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

yes already read it

have to decide whether to get ps2 or xbox now
Old May 31st, 2002, 02:40 PM   #38
macario
Banned Member

macario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Alright, Im going to try and give as unbiased a gaming opinion as I can for all this... so here goes:

PS2

Pros:
Wonderful gaming library
Backwards compatibility to all your original PS games
Great 3rd party support
Built in DVD playback

Cons:
2 Controller ports
no Hard Drive (estimated to be 80 dollars for add-on)
no modem (estimated to be 40-50 dollars for add-on)
stats less impressive than gc or xbox

What I think: PS2 is a great choice of console to pick up. The day you buy it there are lots of great games that you can get with it and take home to play. Unfortunately those few games seem to swim in a sea of mediocre to crappy games when compared to other system lineups. Also, with less hardware there is the chance you will get less life out of your ps2, but there is also the chance that it will go on for a long time, just like the SNES did. The PS2 has, and will get more great games. Their online venture is kinda unsure at the moment, you will need a 50 dollar modem to even access the net... and the network they showed set up at e3 lagged so bad the game was unplayable. Severe embarrasment. Also, if you want to play rpgs that require a lot of save info (like the new FF) you will have to also buy an 80 dollar hard drive.

Gamecube:

Pros:

portable, great if you take your game system places
nintendo has a tradition of great gaming with familiar characters
advanced hardware design that beats out xbox hardware in areas

Cons:

Will always be seen as 'kiddy' and won't get as many adult titles as other consoles
People will argue that games are being rehashed to death
no harddrive or internet connection without addon

What I think: Nintendo realize they screwed up with the N64 and are out to redeem themselves with the cube. They had a wonderful E3 show and have people anticipating metroid prime, mario sunshine, starfox and zelda amongst other titles. Nintendo has a long line of gaming tradition and most likely won't let consumers down, whether they are looking for kid games or adult games. If you are looking to play dvd's you might want to avoid this, unless you are willing to shell out the big bucks to get the Panasonic Q.

XBox

Pros:
Advanced hardware, HD and ethernet included
DVD playback, but 30 dollar remote is required
In-game Dolby 5.1 encoding
MS is backing it up....

Cons:
DVD player costs money
ethernet port excludes people without broadband
some complain about standard controller

What I think: Xbox is arguabely the most technically advanced machine out right now, though GC is about equal due to extra texture pipelines and hardware lights. Xbox definately won't be beat in the sound department as it is capable of dolby 5.1 encoding *in game* which no other system can do. So if you are an audiophile, big + there! Xbox is probably the best geared up for online play as the ethernet and hd is included. No modem users is kinda crappy, but that keeps the system from lagging. Lag probably won't be much of a problem anyways as MS is investing 3 Billion dollars into the system. Of course, the XBox's main concern is RPGs... or the lack thereof. Morrowind is coming out soon, but that game is iffy... so XBoxers are left to wait for Project ego (slated 2003) and Star Wars: KOTOR (slated holiday season).

K, now that I've gone through all of that, here is why you should buy each system.

PS2: A definate if you want a large selection of games from action, to RPG, to whatever else you have in mind. Be wary of online play, as you have to buy the accessories, and it looks like each game is going to set up it's own server, which means if they decide to charge money, you will have to pay a charge for every game you want online. also, only 2 control ports means you have to buy an adapter if you want to play with 4 friends, so tack that on to the bill. I do find it rather ridiculous that a ps2 (200 bucks) plus the hard drive (80 bucks) plus the modem (40 bucks) will cost much more than an xbox with the same components (200 bucks)

GC: Buy this if you are a nintendo-junkie. Most of the blockbuster games you will see for this will star mario, link, pokemon, metriod, etc. etc. There will be other quality games out, like Res. Evil, but the focus will always be on the nintendo line up for sure. Also, GC has no DVD playback and has smaller disks so you can't play cds or anything on it.

XBox: Probably the biggest gamble. MS is looking to be in your living room and this is their tool. Most impressive as far as power and innovation are concerned. Ingame dolby is pheomenal, Hard drive was a wonderful idea, so was the ethernet port. Now that people have seen its power, developers are less cautious to jump on board. I think Xbox has the most chances of having a successful online launch also. MS is running all the servers and chargin a flat fee (50 bucks for a the service for a year, a free game and the voice communicator) and is dumping tons of money to ensure lag free game. As mentioned before, if you are huge into RPGs, this might not be your system.. at least not until Ego, KOTOR, Galaxies and some other games come out. Yeah, the box might be the biggest gamble as it is the new kid, but it has the potential for the biggest payoff.

Im not going to tell you what to do, but hopefully that helps a bit. If you make me tell you what to buy then I also want to tell you what clothes to where, what to eat for breakfast and who your friends are just for fun

you kind of made the ps2 sound bad and expensive. You forgot the great games ps2 is going to have online like ff11, and txr and I heard gran thieft auto is going to be online. now xbox is going to have good games but nothing compared to the ps2 lineup. now even better games are coming out like xenosaga and legaia2. xbox lineup is not that good. sure they have good games like halo but nothing to impressive but if you like power and speed get an xbox.gc has sorryer games than xbox.what I am trying to say (every ps2 freak fan will agree with me) is that whats the use have having so much power but there isnt any good game to show it off on.
Old May 31st, 2002, 04:41 PM   #39
Ice Cold
The Tag Collector

Ice Cold is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up PlayStation 2 is Less Expensive

You sayed you weren't rich. Same here. That's why I bought the PS2!

I don't know about you but I don't really care about online gaming so the modem and hardrive isn't a must. I also don't need four controller ports. The games I like are only one to two player anyways.

You said that you had a PS1? Well now you don't have two worry about buying another controller because PS1 controllers work on PS2!!! You also don't have to worry about trashing your old games either (not that you would). I am assuming you know that PS1 games work on PS2.
That alone will save you a wad of cash.

Xbox is still losing money from production costs, that is why there games and controllers are so expensive.

While PS2 has had time to pay their debts and give out great deals.

So if YOU want to have YOUR money and not Bill Gates, then I would buy a PS2.

That is my persuation. (Waiting for another one of Kraft's 3 page ramblings) lol

Semper Fi!
Old May 31st, 2002, 05:15 PM   #40
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

i dont care bout bill gates or online gaming either, i jus think xbox will be good cause all the money they got

as far as ps2, im gonna get one, i never play 4 players anyway, and xbox games are looking pretty weak. as far as the online gaming for the xbox, ill let my PC do that for me......lol
Closed Thread