Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Grand Theft Auto Forum

Closed Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 08:45 AM   #1
Sleazy P Martini

Sleazy P Martini is on a distinguished road
How old should you be for GTA3

I purchased GTA3 recently and the store owner was telling me about all the young kids (7-10) who's parents were buying it for them. I'd like to hear your opinion on how old should someone be to purchase GTA3. It has a mature rating. You can pick up and "use" prostitutes in the game. That's the one aspect of the game that makes me raise an eyebrow. Since it deals with sex, should you be 18 to buy it? What do you think? I'd mainly like to hear from non minors, but all opinions are welcome.
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 11:41 AM   #2
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
There has been sexual themes in many games, but I don't think you have to be 18 in order to play them. It depends on the person themselves. If they are like "Whoa, they're having sex! Oh my God!", then they aren't ready for the game.
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 11:44 AM   #3
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
I don't know what to say really, because you can't really put a number on maturity.

I'm thinking that if you're younger then, say, 10-12 then you probably shouldn't be playing it, but it all still depends on what kind of environment you're in.

Some children are very sheltered and if they played the game it could disturb them immensely, while others would not even think anything terrible of the game.

I grew up with two older brothers and four older step brothers/sister so I've been watching/playing/hearing/doing things past my age for a long time.

Also, whatever the generation coming after (some of) our Generation X, (Generation Y?) are most likely going to be a very un-sheltered group of individuals that have been immensely desensitized to violence and other "mature" subject matter (prostitution, sex, etc.).

I think that rather than limit the availability or usage of games like GTA3 with "questionable subject matter" it is up to the parents to be with their children to explain that this is not reality, and that in real life the main character of the game would be long dead or serving a life sentence in prison.

I just think that when I'm walking through the city seeing fifth graders sparking up a joint on a park bench or beating the **** out each other that playing a video game is going to do any more harm.

I know my thoughts were pretty scattered and some might've been contradictary, that's just what came off the top of my head.
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:10 PM   #4
x157anz

x157anz is on a distinguished road
I think you should be 13
Im 15 and i could not get served for it so i had to get my mum to get it for me
I think it should be rated a 15

Current FFX Position:.
COMPLETED - somebody hand me a tissue :'(
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #5
Sleazy P Martini

Yeah well thats my point. It's rated "M" meaning if you're under 17 you shouldn't be playing it. Obviously the ratings mean nothing as everyone can get it. So it's not ok for a 15 yr old to get a hooker, but its ok to pretend?
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #6
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini
Yeah well thats my point. It's rated "M" meaning if you're under 17 you shouldn't be playing it. Obviously the ratings mean nothing as everyone can get it. So it's not ok for a 15 yr old to get a hooker, but its ok to pretend? :rolleyes:
It All Depends On How PARENTS Are Bring Their Children Up!.! How They Are Being Brought Up!.! A Kid At The AGE Of 15....Wont Be ABLE To Get A HOOKER!.! But Just For The FUN Sake, He'll Do It In The Game And Have A Couple Of Laughs At It!.!........

If The Kid Is Brought Up Well By His/Her Parents.....No Matter What HE/SHE Sees in The VIDEOGAME Movie Or Whereever!.! He/She Will Never Ever Think Of Doing It In Real Life.!.!

It All Depends On Their Parents!.! They Dont Teach Them Well And Bring Them up Nicely And When Their KIDS Get Influenc By TV Or Games, They START Blaming The MEDIA!.!
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #7
Sleazy P Martini

Good points there Makgsnake. It all depend on the parents. Now what kind of parent supports this. Good ones? Its not just the hookers, there are very mature themes throughout the game. "the Yasuka boss' lesbian overtones" I just feel that if I were a parent (and will be one soon) I would be setting a bad example by letting my kid play this type of game too young.
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:53 PM   #8
BowevelJoe
ShakeandBakeMasta!

BowevelJoe is on a distinguished road
yeah some kids have parents that dont care waht they do or anything so it doesnt matter to them, but then theres teh parents that shelter the kids from EVERYTHING, then they go over to a friends house and play the **** out of every violent, crazy, well eerything there parents wouldnt let them play. So mainly it depends on the maturity level of the kid, some can handle it some cant. Maybe there should be a GTA3 test, you have to take it to know if your smart enough to shrug the game off as stuff that you SHOULDNT do lol...but ah well, hopefully i made some sense lol
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:06 PM   #9
MakgSnake

Smile Lets See........

Ure Right Sleazy.......U See......I Mean......I'd Tell U To Not Make Ure Child Play This Game.......Till He/She Reaches 17.

But U See Sleazy......If U Bring Ure Child Up Right..... He Wouldn't Wanna Play That Game Anyway.......I Mean.......I Remember. When I Was Young.....I Use To Listen To Songs, And If In Any Song....I Use To Hear A Female Making Moaning Noises. I Just Use To Turn It Off Right Away. Cause I Knew It That It Wasn't Good For Me And I Shouldn't Be Listening To It!.!

And At The Same Thing I Knew That Voilence Is Bad....!.....And Guns And Shooting People And All That Is A Very Bad Thing!.! I Remember I was In GRADE THREE And I Saw T2 A Rated R Movie!.! But I Knew It was All Wrong If I Do It On The Streets!.!

But BowevelJoe Said It Right Too......!.......If U Stop Them, They'll Do It More With THeir Friends..... And If U Allow Them A Little..They Wont Do It As Much Outside Out (The Nasty Things I MEAN)

I Have To Go Now. I'll Discuss This In Porper Manner Later!.! Cause Its A Good Topic To Discuss!
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:16 PM   #10
Sleazy P Martini

I know what you mean. I guess it's one of those topics that there's no right answer. I love the game, so I'm a hyprocrite in saying you shouldn't play it. right? But them I'm 31 and my minds been warped for some time now. Then I think to when I was 15. I would have loved this game! So I guess it depends on the kid and the parent.
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:30 PM   #11
BowevelJoe
ShakeandBakeMasta!

yeah, i mean its a good game, its fun and innovative and all that good stuff, im 16, and i mean its an awsome game, but i dont get the urge to go and pop someone with a shot gun, or go steal a taxi and run over some hobos lol. Like i said it depends on the maturity of the child, the ability to tell reality from un-reality lol, and well thats about it lol..
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #12
MakgSnake

mog Gotta Do It?

But Still I Think.... A Kid Under 15 Shouldn't Play This Game!.! I Mean......If "ShowGirls" Is 15+ Movie. Then I Think Its Ok To Play GTA3 And Pick Up Some *****s! lol
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #13
BowevelJoe
ShakeandBakeMasta!

ah but that goes back to the maturity of the 15 year old, i agree, 12 and under are definant nono's thats way to little lol, but some kids can handle it at 15 or so and some cant, it depends on the way the kid was brought up is to where he can take it all in or not.
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:25 PM   #14
MakgSnake

Quote:
Originally posted by BowevelJoe
it depends on the way the kid was brought up is to where he can take it all in or not.
Exactly
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:15 PM   #15
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
It's true what Makg said about guidance of parents compared to that of friends.
I would much rather be able to let my kids be fairly liberal in what they do, as long as they tell me about it, than have them lying to me and not knowing what they're up to all the time, and what weird stuff they're hearing from their friends.

My parents are kind of like that. They don't need to worry about me as much, because they know that when I go to parties I'll probably be drinking or smoking ____ occasionally. They feel much safer because they know that I'm responsible enough to be able to discern what is good and bad for me, and the amount I do these things in.
They know that I would not do any harmful drugs, or drink myself into alcohol poisoning, or ever do anything like that at or around school.

It's the same thing with games. My parents have seen pretty much all of the games I own being played and can tell that my personality and actions do not change because of them.

It's kind of straying from the point a bit, sorry . . .
Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:36 PM   #16
Sleazy P Martini

Thumbs up

Kids know whats real and whats not. I just tried to put myself in a parent mindset. You all have excellent points of view. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #17
Indrid Cold
Banned

Indrid Cold is on a distinguished road
I'll say 14 years old...
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #18
Indrid Cold
Banned

Indrid Cold is on a distinguished road
No 15 years old.... not 14. Not sure!
Old Jun 15th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #19
Andi
Banned Member

Andi is on a distinguished road
I think 15
A bit much Violence for the youth's of today!
Old Jun 15th, 2002, 07:57 AM   #20
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
its a good game but if somebody cant handle it dont play it if you can you can. but if i was a parent i would test the game out first for my child and i would let him play it for a couple of weeks and see if the game has changed his attaitude.