Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Smile Hellsing Ultimate OVA

Well, I saw the first episode (the only one released) of the new Hellsing OVA some days ago and here are my thoughts on it.

EDIT: I saw this unsubbed, no translation or anything. So, if there are any context/conversation changes in the first episode, I wouldn't know about it...though listening to the Japanese (even with my little knowledge), there doesn't seem to be much differences.

The sad thing about watching the first episode is that if you've seen certain episodes of the TV series, you're going to be a bit bored. That's because the first episode shows a brief glimpse of Integral's childhood, the vampire priest, the meeting of Seras, a brief section of those pesky teenage vampires, and the meeting of Anderson and the whole first fight between Arucard and Anderson. And that's it for now.

The good thing about this first episode, though, is that it takes care of all the unnecessary plots/filler stories out of the way. Since the OVA is going to follow the manga story, I believe the rest of the episodes will start getting into the main plot, which centers around this secret organization and involving the Nazis. If you've read most of the English-translated manga, you know it's pretty good stuff.

The art is drawn to resemble Hirano's style, so character designs will look similar to the manga (not much of a difference between the TV except Seras' uniform is yellow this time, not blue), which I thought was pretty neat to see. The animation is quite nice, more detail, more fluidity/consistency.

One gripe that I have: Seras' goofiness and zany-Hirano-humor, unfortunately, might be more present in the OVA this time. In the TV, the only times you see Seras acting like an semi-idiot was during the next-episode previews. Otherwise, she was serious most of the time, despite being sort of a wimp. In the OVA, you'll see some of those notorious bright patterned backgrounds indicating a comedic scene and Seras acting like a dork. Don't worry though; she gets down to business faster than in the TV and her development is sped up. For Integral fans, she's a bit more considerate and caring this time around (like in the manga), which I like much better. This gives me the impression that she really is a strong, capable woman than the shouting, "I'm-trying-to-be-dominant-to-hide-my-weakness-but-you-can-still-clearly-see-I'm-weak" attitude she had in the TV.

Also, the music isn't as catchy this time. What I loved about the TV was that the music really set the tone/mood for the dark, horror-esque feel of the show. Now, there's more orchestrated pieces...no more clunky piano playing or rock guitar...of course, this is just the first episode, so things might change later.

Finally, for those who are fans of the sub, all the original voice actors/actresses are back, except for Anderson. He's replaced by the guy who originally voiced Richard (Integral's uncle) in the TV. A huge bummer because I loved TV Anderson's crazy, insane cackle and attitude.

Overall, I think this series will be really great if they keep everything consistent and following the manga plot because there will be much character insight and development this time around.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that the series might be a bit more graphic, sexual-wise, than the TV. There was the groping of Seras in the first episode, so this is just a warning to those who are underage or are offended by these things.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Feb 26th, 2006 at 04:58 AM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
thanks for your impression Meryl, do you know when the DVD is coming out in the U.S. ?

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Viper
thanks for your impression Meryl, do you know when the DVD is coming out in the U.S. ?
Sorry, I have no idea about the US release date. But, considering that these episodes are OVA and put onto DVD instead of being broadcasted on TV in Japan, hopefully licensing process would be quicker, translations would be done, which would lead to a faster release in the states.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
How many OVAs are they planning to make?
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM   #5
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiko
How many OVAs are they planning to make?
Oh, sorry for the super late reply, I didn't check this thread till now. Since OVAs tend to fall on the short side, I don't know how many episodes they're planning on making. I'm hoping for at least 2 seasons (26 episodes) though.

A little update: the second Japanese DVD which contains the second episode (yes, only the second episode, which is such a ripoff) will be released in August. At the pace the DVDs are going, hopefully Hirano will be able to get a few more volumes out or complete the series in time.

You Can Help