Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old May 20th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

Qjij_jijQ is on a distinguished road
The "Bad guy"

I think most of you will agree with me when I say that Final Fantasy games managed to offer us some pretty cool bad guys throughout the years... but I was wondering what you people considered to be the 'ultimate' bad guy.

What would that character have to do and/or say in order for you to truly consider him/her the worst of the worst ? Plus, do you think monsters make better bad guys than humans or do you simply mesure a villain's 'worth' by his actions ?

... what ? ... What ? ... WHAT?!?
Qjij_jijQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #2
Zanku
Zen Attitude

Zanku is on a distinguished road
I like a bad-guy that you can like and hate, like Sephiroth. They gotta have good story behind them too, not just to come from nowhere and kill some people. Part Human Part monster is feasable, and usually rather exciting when you kill the first form and they mutate into some enormous beast, adds life, story and depth to the story

"A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackel!" Grey Fox
Zanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #3
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
the "offical" best bad guy is Kefka. Yes, its more ffonline FF6 fan-peopleness (i'd find the article but ffonline is down at the moment anyway)...

I'm not entirely sure who's my favorite. The two I see to be the best are Kefka and Sephiroth, but they're two entirely different bad guys: Sephiroth is the legendary, presumed dead soldier, who is coming to give the world to his "mother". Kefka is... 2 spanners short of a toolkit.

Think its going to Kefka for me though... the thing about Sephiroth is that I swear he's just a strong-willed soldier who has been manipulated by Jenova. Whereas Kefka appears to be a total nutcase. The kind of nutcase who doesn't give a damn if he destroys the world completely, even if he'll kill himself in the process. Sephiroth just alledgedly wanted more power. Insanity rules!

and not all FF villians are that great. The worst villans for me would be Exdeath (FF5 - The only thing that elevated him above generic "i'm evil; now die!" villian status, was the fact that he is in fact: a tree. and an evil tree don't you know.) and Seymour. (in FF10 which lacks decent bad guys even more than it lacks decent good guys. Seymour was frankly pretty boring, his demise was pretty quick and he looked pretty stupid as well. oh and wait... wasn't he half tree?) And too many FFs have villians that stick around for a while, and then are suddenly being compeled to be evil by some higher force, who then subsequently gets no development: Golbez, Kuja, Edea and Seymour quickly come to mind.

oh and "I Garland, shall knock you down!"
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #4
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Evil tree? LMAO.

Now that you mention Edea, I actually liked Adel and Ultimecia, Adel, cuz she was so freaking ugly and, just freaky, she didn't even look like a chick, and then Ultimecia was quite the oposite.

But these are far from my favorite bad guy: Sephiroth. Even though Jenova was behind him, he was the one you always fought against and the one you were always pursuing, and the one you fought the final battle against. Artist already described him well. I never played FF6 so I have no comment about Kefka.

Kuja, I hated that character deeply, I just hate GAY bad GUYS.

Seymour, I actually like him, I think the design is pretty cool, and he's a cynic motherf... but yeah, he's not that impressive either.

When I played FFX for the first time and saw Auron, I thought he was the bad guy, now, he WOULD BE A BAD ASS BAD GUY, although I prefer him the way he is

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

People, wait...

What I was trying to find out is not who your favorite Final Fantasy villain is, but rather what you think would be the best villain !

I want to know what kind of villain you'd prefer to see...
Let's say you had the opportunity to 'create' a main Final Fantasy bad guy... how would he/she be in order to be what you would consider the 'ultimate' villain !?

... sorry for the confusion.
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:20 PM   #6
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Well, I like them to surprise me.

But anyhow, I'd like an evil guy, or chick, or maybe a guy and a chick that work together, both master swordsmen and wizards, and that kind that really doesn't let you know if they're really good or bad until the end.

Yes, I don't think we have seen that before, it'd be badass to fight a "couple" instead of just fighting the head of an organization or a lone warrior or monster. But something in which you would have to take both of them in the last, final battle.

Old May 21st, 2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
I want a bad guy who's not like the other bad guys.

He/She should be ALWAYS relentless.

Kefka was sort of like that.

He/she should also get what they want to finish their goals then bring the world into chaos.

Makes the final battle seem better in my opinion.

Oh, and they should never have another Kuja and Seymour.

Also, it really depends on what the story is about in the case of monsters or human villians.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:32 PM   #8
Zanku
Zen Attitude

Zanku is on a distinguished road
I like the concept of the bad guy, starting off good, but getting twisted in some way to be evil. Or maybe, you the good guy, could get your badness removed in the story (so your pure good), but your bad side is reborn into a ultra bad form of yourself, and the story would wind up you having to kill your other half that is now evil. I dunno though, a story might be quite hard to form around it, and it kinda rips off DBZ

"A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackel!" Grey Fox
Zanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #9
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
An ideal "bad-guy" would probably be one who would always play with the main character(s) emotions, have a sick sense of humor, have some kind of obsessive motivation for their cause, perform some god-awful and heinous act that would greatly affect the player (something similar to Aerith's death), come from an interesting background, and, above all, look like a complete badass while doing it.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #10
Krazy

Krazy is on a distinguished road
I think we need a FF where the end boss/villain is weapon. I mean look at it, weapon just keeps getting stamped under everyones foot. He's created by the planet to keep it safe yet he's either shutdown by the good guys of all people! or made to be some reject half-boss for the real villain. If any FF character is filled with pent up rage and hatred its definitely Weapon, and thats a great basis for a manic plot to destroy the planet. It's perfect, one-time protector of the planet turns vicious and malignant overlord of the world. If thats not a story then i don't know what is. For a new twist some new and even more powerful evil can arise so weapon must join the good guys once again to rid the world of this horrific and maniacle evil menace. Now thats a thought, weapon as a playable character! What possibilities that breeds.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:22 AM   #11
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Frozen
But anyhow, I'd like an evil guy, or chick, or maybe a guy and a chick that work together, both master swordsmen and wizards, and that kind that really doesn't let you know if they're really good or bad until the end.
The first thing I though of...sadly...was Jessie and James...Team Rocket from Pokemon I don't know if I am open to an idea like that....I rather see 1 bad guy.

I would much rather see a human....those mutations And weapons....I don't know what kind of personality they could have. I want a real evil one that doesn't fail at everything he/she does. At least let him/her have some glory. At least Sephiroth was looking to achieve a goal not only for himself but for his mother and the rest of his kind. Though I guess you can make the case that he was whacked out on...his mom?

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #12
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

What would you rather see...

- The Good guys running after the Bad guy throughout the game ;
- The Bad guy running after the Good guys throughout the game ;
- Have them not know about each other until the end ;
- Other...
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #13
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Qjij_jijQ

What would you rather see...

- The Good guys running after the Bad guy throughout the game ;
- The Bad guy running after the Good guys throughout the game ;
- Have them not know about each other until the end ;
- Other...
toughie. My idea of a decent enemy is somthing that falls under "other", but possibly also under the first in a way. The enemy should be there all along. right under their noses, just so your feelings of hatred and surprise are genuine, and enough for you as the player to have actually wanted to fight with the enemy that one last time.

How to do this then... Either:
#1. The enemy is a member of your party for ages, you trust them, they lead you to place which are traps or result in "evil villany" type things happening, but you're still trusting of that person. Then they betray you trust, and pile the blame on you, making it seem that you're the villian. you'd hopefully want revenge.

#2. Much the same as 1, but The enemy is a part of the main character, or someone in the party (would work well as "the love interest" perhaps). You don't know that the enemy and your party member are one and the same, and neither do they...

#3. In some intangible form, the enemy is always there. perhaps a voice in your head, or a selection of audio-logs and survivors testimonies. You see the misery and destruction this person has caused, and you hate them for it. They taunt you, and tell you there is no hope. Yet you never see them until the very end of the game.

... I guess these have been done elsewhere before (#2 is a little Elena / Millenia from Grandia 2, and #3 is shamelessly lifted from System Shock 1 and 2.), but its not unlike FF to recycle ideas is it?

Edit: also, i'd like to say that I like the idea of a hero that everyone looks up to, that turns out to be a villian. Sephiroth was kind of like this, but you still had that feeling that he was bad from the first mentions of him, leaving very little to the imagination. Perhaps the ultimate bad guy would be a legendary hero, who joins you, manipulates you and then tries to take over the world while doing so.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #14
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

The first thing I though of...sadly...was Jessie and James...Team Rocket from Pokemon I don't know if I am open to an idea like that....I rather see 1 bad guy.
Shit, you just trashed my idea...

No way in hell I'd like somehting like that, but, just imagine, something like Sephiroth and Ultimecia, (of course not those particular characters, just using them as an example), and to see them chasing you on the begining, and then you'll chase them at last. Something like that.

Old May 27th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #15
Krazy

Krazy is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frozen

Well, I like them to surprise me.

Maybe we just need a guy who can shoot stinging foam into your eyes.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #16
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
I prefer the idea of going back and forth until the final battle. Though it is also fun to "follow" the guy around until the final battle. I prefer to know who you are battling....however battling 2 foes is good too. It takes your mind off of one and then bam right back at it.

I don't like the idea of a member of your party going bad. Unless the person goes early...or he is just not likable.

I think in the case of Sephiroth he was just so damn cool looking and bad ass. But then...it got out of hand and you hated his guts.

What would I want to see...

Male: Should be hated by almost everyone. I prefer the bad guy to be mysterious. Not much is known about him other then they are bad. A loner with no friends other then his belief. Though quiet and powerful friends are good. Depends on how evil. A loner has the ability to be much more cruel because they show no affection towards anybody. I don't like bad guys who talk a lot of shit. Though maybe that's good?

Female: Good looking I prefer a sorceress...though I have no problem with one that wields a sword. A female companion that is more caring yet is still loyal to the death. She can be famous or not.

I guess those aren't that original.... but it's just what I like.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #17
Brit

Brit is on a distinguished road
all i wanna say is why should u have to chase the badguy?

i've had enough of the typical lets chase some great wizard/witch or crazy guy who wants to command world domination. good goes looking for evil and crushes it.

i think the ff everybody is waiting on is one where u spend a fair bit of time being chased by a band of evil warriors or bad guys, hunted down by superior numbers and a superior force that u wouldn't stand a chance goin head to head with...

i want impossible odds, and a council of badguys with aspirations of control and power, and one which cannot be touched or even considered going after until YOU as a player are big and bad enough to go up against - maybe a tribe of wizards/witches or council eldars

they got it right with the beginning of ff7 - the whole cloud AVALANCHE and midgar president thing, and then made it into too much of a quest for sephiroth..
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #18
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
As someone said earlier. A good "bad guy" would have to always be relentless. I was thinking... Everytime something good happens, he would show up to destroy the happiness.

And as for the, chasing after, running away bit. I think it would be best that the bad guy is running around causing destruction, killing innocent people for the sake of his cause, if he has one. You're running around trying to stop him. He's not running away, he's just causing destruction, but you're not fast enough to stop him.

The pain of showing up too late and seeing a man of complete darkness taking someone you love, would be enough to drive you to the deepest level of hatred. Knowing that you didn't even make it in enough time to even TRY to stop him.

I think the best last battle wouldn't be a, save the world, beat him for the sake of whoever, battle. I think it would be best if, he does all the damage he wants, and you and your team want to defeat him just for the sake of killing him. You feel as though it is his punishment for the evil acts he has commited.

He should also betray you, cheat you, violate codes of honor. he has to be ungodly powerful. There has to be at least one instant, where he gets to unleash his wrath for the first time. That is a true villain. One driven without just cause, one driven for the sole purpose of destruction.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:02 AM   #19
Vulcan Raven
Spiritual Shaman

Vulcan Raven is on a distinguished road
hey the_artist, that idea with the bad guy in your party and then leads you to some e

hey the_artist, that idea with the bad guy in your party and then leads you to some evil place and then turns into the bad guy,

Remind you of anyone? Hint Hint,

Lord Of The Rings,

Smeagoul', Gollum?

Is that funny coincidence or someone stealing a lord of the rings idea?

sorry the artist you truly are cool, just pulling ya leg!
Vulcan Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #20
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Re: hey the_artist, that idea with the bad guy in your party and then leads you to some e

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim_Reaper
Is that funny coincidence or someone stealing a lord of the rings idea?
heh... I see the similarity, but everyone in the Lord of the Rings party doesn't really trust Gollum, whereas my idea kind of hinges on a prolonged friendship. Its actually more Gaff Gaffgarion (FFTactics) than Gollum. Just Far Far Longer.