Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #1
legion
We stand as one.

legion is on a distinguished road
FFXI Confirmed

From RPGamer:

Quote:
Sony has stepped up to publish Final Fantasy XI for PlayStation 2, and it also announced during its pre-E3 conference that it would be releasing their anticipated 40 gig hard disc drive simultaneously with Final Fantasy XI sometime during the first quarter of 2004. Unfortunately, no details about pricing or availability were disclosed and will be released at a later date. The Japanese price for Final Fantasy XI is 6800 yen, or 51.00 USD; the Network Adapter and Hard Disc Drive were released together, so no price can be estimated. Final Fantasy XI currently has more than 200,000 subscribers in Japan, with numbers still rising steadily.
Wah hoo
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
so finally the US gets a vague release date for FFXI and the adaptor... nothing on the PC version yet though :/
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #3
legion
We stand as one.

Final Fantasy Online has this up:
Quote:
Sony has announced before the start of E3 that it will publish and release Final Fantasy XI in North America not only for the Playstation 2, but for the PC as well. This comes as a shock to gamers, as it was earlier speculated after months of no announcements on the game's status that neither would be released this side of the Pacific.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #4
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Wait, so we'd still have to purchase the 40g Drive as well to play FFXI? Damn it...all I can hope for now is a $40 price tag for the game...don't fail me now Sony.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #5
legion
We stand as one.

Oh, well. It's not like FFXI is the only thing you'd use the HDD for anyway
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #6
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
They've already finished with the beta teting applications for each version, the PS2 and PC ones.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #7
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally posted by legion
Oh, well. It's not like FFXI is the only thing you'd use the HDD for anyway
the HDD and FFXI have been on sale for a year in Japan. There have been very few games that have utilised the HDD in this time, and many of them are already available in the US, minus their HDD features. Ouch.
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #8
legion
We stand as one.

Quote:
Originally posted by the_artist

the HDD and FFXI have been on sale for a year in Japan. There have been very few games that have utilised the HDD in this time, and many of them are already available in the US, minus their HDD features. Ouch.
Yeah, well, it's not just that, but everything that you're supposedly able to do with it (ie: one big memory card, record shows, download multimedia, etc.).

I look forward to it, anyway
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #9
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
Hate to break your guys' hearts, but the PC version is going to come out in November when the original release date was planned. Squaresoft said they don't want to wait for Sony anymore, and even though Sony REALLY wants Squaresoft to release them at the same time, to clean sales, Squaresoft is getting tired of waiting. Every other *&#%ing country has FFXI except us, and the PC users in Japan are WAY ahead of us, it's not really fair that we have to get the PC version and be behind the pack.

The FFXI and hard drive are going to be released at the same time together, but the release date isn't final. It really sucks because I bought the network adapter solely for this game. Auto Modellista online really disappointed me.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #10
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hero
Every other *&#%ing country has FFXI except us, and the PC users in Japan are WAY ahead of us,
umm... FFXI has only been released in Japan. It also matters zilch that the Japanese players are ahead of us: FFXI doesn't allow you to fight them, so the only way they're going to make you feel small is if they start boasting about their high level to you. which could be quite fun, considering that their english is unlikely to be 100% perfect, or is going to be synthesised by the in-game translation service. Not sure that "me = teh lvl 60 mage and you is the lvl 2 with small brain mage" is in the planned "useful vocab" quick translator...

oh and you can catch up with them, given that there is a limit to what level they can be at: they'll be staying at level 60 until square patches the game and ups the cap. Don't be too disappointed about how long its taken... who knows when the hell it'll show up in Europe

---

https://www.ffxionline.com/forums/sho...threadid=11045 - the source for the news. Let all the nasty pictures load before saying "theres nothing there!" or similar . and don't say "you didn't warn me about no PC before PS2 ness" either. I've been saying it for ages... not that any of you listen. Hell, i doubt you're even listening to me blathering right now...

anyways, its only a gap of 3-6 months between the two releases. Its not that long to wait, especially as theres a good chance that you'll have to afford upgrades and stuff to be able to able to play the PC version, even before having to fork out for the actual cost of playing. I'll get the PC version, but I probably won't be able to start playing well into 2004. I mean, Q4 is when HL2 comes out, and I'm not sure i'm going to put that down for a while. Or shut up about right now either.

... and why isn't this thread in the FF Forum? (moan moan moan)
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #11
Hero
Lost Hero

Saying 3-6 months isn't long is a scenario opinion... 5 months is all the time I need to build up my stats and start my team. Also, not everyone will have to upgrade their computer.

I also don't post on this forum enough to know that you've been saying that the PC version is out before the PS2... The way the starter of this thread made it seem: was that the PS2 version was coming out, and the PC was a suprise that it's still coming out. The PC version ended up being more important to Square then the US. PS2 version.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #12
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Saying 3-6 months isn't long is a scenario opinion... 5 months is all the time I need to build up my stats and start my team. Also, not everyone will have to upgrade their computer.
again though, i must say: so? theres no disadvantage in being behind in levels in a game that has no real direct player vs player action. Its like saying that your Parents had a head start because they were born 20 years or so before you.

and where do you get the "PC version is more important than the PS2 version" idea from. Square-Enix are just waiting for Sony to release the HD. that doesn't suggest anything about them favouring the PS2 version at all. Providing that PS2 owners were blessed with somthing called patience, a PC release a few months early will not dent their sales of FFXI at all. If it would, they'd never bother releasing the PS2 version at all.
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #13
Hero
Lost Hero

Square doesn't really care about sales... If they did, they wouldn't have released Final Fantasy X-2, because obviously it would be a partial title. As it is, critics for the most part, bashed it... (well the smart critics)

It's more of a player to player problem. Your friend gets it on PC... You have PC and PS2, but he starts talking foul about how you don't have it, so you end up getting the PC version... It's a foul on Sony's side and it will hurt them in the long run, whether you'd like to acknowledge it or not.
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #14
legion
We stand as one.

Quote:
The way the starter of this thread made it seem: was that the PS2 version was coming out, and the PC was a suprise that it's still coming out. The PC version ended up being more important to Square then the US. PS2 version.
Actually, I had no idea about the PC version. Maybe I don't read the forums enough, I don't know.
However, as I understand it, the PC makes window navigation for FFXI easier. And now I hear about an adaptor that can hook up a PS2 controller to your computer. And I don't have to wire my house to get the cable to my room (as I haven't much seen a way to make it wireless).

I've been waiting a long time for FFXI... but that doesn't mean I want to wait an extra five or six months when it's already available.
Looks like the PC version for me.

Oh, and for the "Why isn't this in the Final Fantasy forum:" Thing was, I had more than one window for the forums open, and I thought I was in the Final Fantasy section. My bad.
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #15
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Square doesn't really care about sales... If they did, they wouldn't have released Final Fantasy X-2, because obviously it would be a partial title. As it is, critics for the most part, bashed it... (well the smart critics)
I see you are aware of just how well every title with "Final Fantasy" sells, aren't you? FFX-2 wasn't treated like a partial title when it was released to the Japanese public. they lapped it up. (as in, about a million units sold in a couple of weeks.)
hell, if a funnel pumping sewage was sprayed in a public swimming-pool in downtown Tokyo, and this funnel just happened to have "final fantasy" scrawled on the side in crude marker pen, everyone and their moogle-suit wearing cousin would be taking a quick dive.

You're probably right then... Square doesn't care about sales. They just care that they've got a vault of money so that they can dive in every now and then.

but if you're really worried about friends saying "nur-nicky-nur-nur, i've got ffxi and you haven't" please, do yourself a favour, and get new friends. or at least do them a favour, and slap them round the face with a wet fish or somthing. as for how it'll effect Sony:

1. Sony definatly don't care. They've ruled the MMORPG arena with their own Everquest for years, and have developed a way to impregnate their female employees with legal currency.
2. The PC version was always set to take a very large chunk of their user base outside of Japan. MMORPGs and PCs are much bigger in the States than Japan. The effect on Sony's pocket was somthing they'd already calculated all along. Patience. Six Months. Babies take longer than that.

and legion, don't take the "why isn't this in the ff forum" thing as a question to you. I was just suprised that the moderators haven't moved it, as they often do when these little mistakes happen.