Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 02:13 PM   #1
LaiN
Girl in the Wired

LaiN is on a distinguished road
Tekken 4, Tekken Tag Tournament Or Dead Or Alive 2

I want to buy Tekken 4, Tekken Tag or Dead Or Alive 2 for the PS2. But I'd like to know wich one is the best to purchase? I'd like to hear some good en nagative point about the games etc etc.

Thnx

LaiN
LaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 02:59 PM   #2
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I don't like much Dead or Alive. Tekken is surely a better fighting game from many points of view. It's a matter of tastes maybe, but I won't recommend you to get DOA among the three games you mentioned.

Among TTT or T4 I can give you some guidelines, or some suggestions, since they're both good games: in TTT there are more characters to unlock and features to discover, but there's not the story as in the other Tekken games. I mean, it's a sort of collection of all Tekken characters gathered together. In T4 there's a story and the graphics are better, but there are many characters, and this means it requires you less time to unlock all characters and to finish the game. If you don't mind this aspect, go for Tekken 4. If you want a huge collection of characters to play more, get Tekken Tag Tournament.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 04:24 PM   #3
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
If it's between TTT and T4, I'd say get Tekken 4. Less characters and a tiny bit slower dinamic than TTT, BUT, superior graphics, continuation of storyline (in an awsome way, specially for a video game) and well, overall, just cooler IMO. My suggestion would be to rent both and check them out for yourself before buying them.

As for DOA2...

This game is only 30 dollars brand new at EB. If you don't mind seeing a lot of "FEMALE JIGGLING" you will like this game.

I own both T4 and DOA2 for PS2 and I enjoy them almost equally. DOA2's graphics and gameplay are just awsome, the storyline is not so bad (although it ain't close to be as good as T4's) and it's an alternative as a fighting game, is not the same as most of them, you'll know if you play it yourself.

I would say, after all, get Tekken 4, but not without playing the other 2 games before. Although IMO T4 and DOA2 are both superior to TTT.

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:20 PM   #4
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Tekken Tag Tournament

The game is an ecyclopedia of Tekkens 1,2,3. Loads of characters to choose from and lots of extras including Tekken bowling .

I still play this game all the time, it never gets boring for me. As for Tekken 4 however.. it's kinda getting dull now. I can see myself probably never playing Tekken 4 when/if Tekken 5 comes out. Sorta like how when Tekken Tag Tournament was released, i traded Tekken 3 for store credit toward the purchase of Tekken Tag Tournament. I don't see myself ever getting rid of TTT in the same manner.

Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, is an excellent game as well if you're a fighting game fan. It's the first title to include the user profile system which Itagaki created and was updated by Yu Suzuki for Virtua Fighter 4. It basically keeps records and all the costume data(some characters have up to 8 different costumes). To make the game less shallow as most fighting games can be.

The game also allows you to record battles and watch them in slow motion with rewind and fast forward playback capabilities. As for actual gameplay rather than features, the character movement is alot better than all tekken games including 4. You can move more freely throughout the diffrent areas. Some of the fighting areas are huge.. sporting 2/3 diffrent floors.

Overall though Tekken Tournament is my pick of the few mentioned. The game is truly a masterwork designed with both the casual and hardcore fighting game fans in mind.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 08:09 PM   #5
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Are you not considering Virtua Fighter 4?

From what I have seen it's graphically superior to Tekken 4, and far better too.

- S
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 09:08 PM   #6
Sword 4 Hire
Retired...

Sword 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
Yeah I agree with Spank, VF4 would be a better purchase...
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 09:11 PM   #7
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Well, I'll rate some things down.

Tekken Tag

Pros: More characters then your avg classroom can ever have. And all of them extremely mind blowing, with great moves to master.

Cons: Not exactly a true sequal, if you are into the story section, this game doesn't give you any. Its pure arcade, its fast but graphics aren't that that great.

Tekken 4

Pros: Beautiful graphics, more then 250 moves for each character, and there are 20 of them here. Meet the latest hottest characters joining the Tekken Tournament. I....love the gameplay!!! And hey, it has an amazing story mode too.

Cons: The story mode just might end up going through your head, as its always like that for the Tekken series. The game isn't that fast, as it should have been.

Dead Or Alive 2

Pros: Decent smooth graphics, with some of the most amazing stages, which you can actually explore. Has the best counter moves in my opinion, and the most sexiest female characters ever to engrace the video game industry.

Cons: Very few characters. The story mode will not keep you intrested. Ending dialouges are very cheesy, and like I said, decent graphics (Nothing special).

I have Virtua Fighter 4 too as well, havn't really played that game much.....the graphics are great, but not that smooth. But, it is said to be one of the best on the Ps2 console. And hey if price matters to you, "VR4" is in the "Greatest Hits" collection too. So you will end up saving quite some money too, same goes for "Tekken Tag".

Enjoy.
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:14 AM   #8
LaiN
Girl in the Wired

I never really thought about Virtua Fighter 4.

As about DOA2, you have difrent floors? Like you are fighting and you can jump of a floor and continue the fight on the floor below and jump true windows?? I believe I saw a preview, i'm not sure if it's DOA2 or 3...

LaiN
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:31 AM   #9
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by LaiN

As about DOA2, you have difrent floors? Like you are fighting and you can jump of a floor and continue the fight on the floor below and jump true windows?? I believe I saw a preview, i'm not sure if it's DOA2 or 3...

LaiN
Yup, that's in DOA2. It doesn't really impact the fight much, you only lose a little health when you fall. Still, it's a very nice touch...

Almost as nice as the bouncing boobies... Heh heh...

- S
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:55 AM   #10
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Actually those falls just don't get you "a little health", sometimes they do even more damage than a counter attack. but they are indeed amazing to look at.

When talking about Virtua Fighter 4, you must have in mind that this game differs a little bit from all the others. This one can turn out to be real boring if you don't set your mind for hours of training your character, learning all of the moves, and then know how and when to apply them. I'd say it's a deep technical fighter.

This was the first fighter I got for PS2 and I still love it. It's something you should consider, LaiN, but definitely rent them all before you buy them.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #11
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:

LaiN
You can't jump from floor to floor as if to run away from your opponent. however you can get knocked through windows, and off diffrent floors as you mentioned to continue the fight. Dead or Alive 2, was the first game in the series to have these huge multi-level enviorments. DOA3 has them as well.

here's a link with info Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #12
LaiN
Girl in the Wired

I guess renting IS the option, it could save me a lot of cash because the games allready ARE expensive and I want to buy the right game and not a mistake game. I allready have Tekken 3, just finished it today for the first time btw , and because I allready have Tekken I want to try something else. So i''ll rent DOA2 and Virtual Fighter 4. About the last one, I read you can train your own character and learn him/her moves etc. That is wonderfull option thank you all for you advice :-)
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:29 PM   #13
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
I dont know if you read my previous post or not, but VR4 is on greatest hits collection, and so is Tekken Tag.
Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:08 PM   #14
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:

I guess renting IS the option, it could save me a lot of cash because the games allready ARE expensive and I want to buy the right game and not a mistake game. I allready have Tekken 3, just finished it today for the first time btw , and because I allready have Tekken I want to try something else. So i''ll rent DOA2 and Virtual Fighter 4. About the last one, I read you can train your own character and learn him/her moves etc. That is wonderfull option thank you all for you advice :-)
Well, if you liked Tekken 3, I'm sure you'll like even more Tekken Tag and Tekken 4. And yeah, in Virtua Fighter 4 you have two ways of training characters: train "yourself" and to train an AI. Doing this will be most time consuming...

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:34 PM   #15
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
We have very detailed reviews of the three games you mentioned in our review section. Don't read just the score, the reviews contains a lot of details that should help you choose which of the games may fit your needs.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:55 PM   #16
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
VF4 is by far the best fighter ever created, but out of those...

I'm goin with DOA2. TTT might have a chance, but my ps2 won't play ps2 cd-roms Tekken 4 is fun but I still like the depth of DOA2 a bit more.

I don't really like the characters in Tekken series either, something VF4 has over everyone... most kick ass characters in the world.

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:34 PM   #17
Infernal Mass
pariah

VF4, is without a doubt a deep and intense fighting game. So much went into the game, which is pretty much expected when Yu Suzuki decides to work. Everything from the menus to the fighting system is very rich with detail.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:56 PM   #18
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury Shadow

I don't really like the characters in Tekken series either, something VF4 has over everyone... most kick ass characters in the world.
and how funny that such characters don't even have a freaking storyline besides what you read on the instruction booklet :|

If you take the storyline aspect and character background, VF4 sucks royally. But in any other aspects it may as well be superior to any otehr fighting game.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #19
Vicious
free your mind

Vicious is on a distinguished road
From all the reviews i've read, Tekken 4 looks like the best choice
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote