Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #41
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

yea, it's strategic marketing.

the publishing companies have the various regions catagorized, according to what audience will most likely buy what. Unfortunately, the majority of gamers outside of Japan just aren't likely to put the money down on the more extravagant editions of games..and the gamers who would buy these special editions lose to the majority.

Outside of specialty retailers like Gamestop lots of the LE/CE/SE/boxed sets..never make it outta Japan. Mostly due to the fact that Japanese gamers spend the money. That's slowly changing though, from what I've noticed there's been alot more LE/SE/CE games being released here in the United States. Example of this is the Final Fantasy XII Collectors Edition...this is the first type of Square/Enix release to come in a CE packaging. Although, it is limited to specialty retailers like Gamestop much like the MGS: Subsistence LE..it's still a start. These editions are nothing compared to the box sets Japan gets though, on that springs to mind is the Biohazard 4 box set..that was hardcore.

As for the Europeans always getting jyped/ I still disagree..as i mentioned ICO, an exclusive Sony title and one of the best games on ps2 was released in special packagin and printed on a DVD-rom, PAL version is superior to the NTSC version in every regard. Silent Hill 3 was released on PAL format almost half a year in advance. Futhermore Final Fantyasy X international never saw a NTSC release.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Sep 17th, 2006 at 09:26 PM..
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #42
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
yea, it's strategic marketing.

the publishing companies have the various regions catagorized, according to what audience will most likely buy what. Unfortunately, the majority of gamers outside of Japan just aren't likely to put the money down on the more extravagant editions of games..and the gamers who would buy these special editions lose to the majority.

Outside of specialty retailers like Gamestop lots of the LE/CE/SE/boxed sets..never make it outta Japan. Mostly due to the fact that Japanese gamers spend the money. That's slowly changing though, from what I've noticed there's been alot more LE/SE/CE games being released here in the United States. Example of this is the Final Fantasy XII Collectors Edition...this is the first type of Square/Enix release to come in a CE packaging. Although, it is limited to specialty retailers like Gamestop much like the MGS: Subsistence LE..it's still a start. These editions are nothing compared to the box sets Japan gets though, on that springs to mind is the Biohazard 4 box set..that was hardcore.
I agree. It's a good thing that things seem to be changing and special edition stuff are getting brought over...it'll be nice to get a boxset of a game that's fully translated instead of purchasing a LE/SE boxset with the original language game along with purchasing a translated game *cough* MGS3 Boxset *cough*. But in FFXII's case, I can't help but wonder why choose this game as a CE out of all of the past games that were much better (of course, I don't know if FFXII sucks or not, but it just seems odd to do so now).

Quote:
As for the Europeans always getting jyped/ I still disagree..as i mentioned ICO, an exclusive Sony title and one of the best games on ps2 was released in special packagin and printed on a DVD-rom, PAL version is superior to the NTSC version in every regard. Silent Hill 3 was released on PAL format almost half a year in advance. Futhermore Final Fantyasy X international never saw a NTSC release.
Even though I agree with you on ICO and maybe a few other games; like I also believe Shenmue 2 was released in Europe for the Dreamcast? Sure, it's not one of the best games, but it's better having it on the DC rather than the Xbox, which kept messing up. But I don't know what to say really because it does seem Europe is always getting screwed over. Again, not the best example, but look at Katamari Damacy...Europe only received the sequel which is downright sad for such an original and quirky game. Plus, Europe always seems to get delays on most of their games.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #43
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One swallow does not make a summer.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #44
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
That's true Hylas. And we shouldn't forget the crazy prices of games in some countries in Europe. In France, Italy, Spain, you can pay up to 64 Euro for a recently released game; often, this price is decided by local publishers according to the popularity of a game.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #45
Infernal Mass
pariah

I just wanted to say that I can understand the dissapointment of the delays, inflated pricing and occasional censorship(another topic altogether), that PAL gamers have to endure. Being a gamer myself i can understand.

Although, to say that Europe always gets shunned is pretty far from the truth, it may happen alot more often than it does in the United States, but those rare occcurances when PAL region gets the better deal happen on some of the best games.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #46
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Although, to say that Europe always gets shunned is pretty far from the truth, it may happen alot more often than it does in the United States, but those rare occcurances when PAL region gets the better deal happen on some of the best games.
You were talking about ICO. You know what? I couldn't play ICO for a long time, because a new PAL copy (with new I mean not only not used but also not for rent but for sale!) was very hard to find! I could find dozens of NTSC copies from online stores at low prices, but nobody to sell PAL, if you don't count a couple of thieves on ebay who put the game for sale for more than 60 Euro. Even in real stores I couldn't find a copy. I ended renting it, but I was disappointed because it was a game I really wanted to buy! Only a few months ago I could find a copy at the local Blockbuster! Maybe we get the best in some cases, but very weird is that distribution of PAL games sucks even when it seems Europe has privileges.

Last edited by Hylas; Sep 19th, 2006 at 12:54 AM..
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #47
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas
You were talking about ICO.

ICO, is just one example:

Quote:
There are major differences between the releases of the game in different locales. The US version was rushed to release to meet an early shipping deadline and as such misses features present in the EU and Japanese releases, such as expanded dialogue (on a second playthrough the subtitles that were indecipherable runes the first time through are now translated) and the option to have a second player control the princess. Another second playthrough bonus is a secret weapon which resembles a lightsaber from Star Wars. There were also a few changes, tweaks and additions made to the game itself, such as the shadow generation points. Most notably, the Waterfall puzzle is more complex in the Japanese and European versions than the US version. The US and Japanese versions were also released in CD-ROM format, while the European version came on a DVD-ROM.
Quote:
The European game came in a cardboard sleeve, instead of the normal plastic case. The box artwork, designed by Fumito Ueda, is an homage to the surrealist painter Giorgio de Chirico
----------------

Shadow of the Colossus:

Quote:
The PAL version of the game was released in February 2006. Much like the PAL release for Ico, the game came in a cardboard sleeve displaying various pieces of artwork from the game, and contained four art cards.

The game also came with a "making of" documentary, a trailer for Ico and a gallery of concept art, accessible from the game's main menu. Sony Computer Entertainment also re-released Ico in PAL territories at the time of Shadow's release, both to promote the game through Ico's reputation, and to allow players who did not buy Ico during its original limited release to complete their collections.
https://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cture191ah.jpg

---------

2 exceptional games, superior in every regard to the NTSC region releases. Below are 2 more. 1 released in Europe before Japan, and United States. The other a difinitve version, of one of the flagship titles for the Ps2.

---------

Silent Hill 3:

The game was released in Europe on May 23, 2003, in Japan on July 3, 2003..and in North America on August 6, 2003.

---------

Final Fantasy X: International

Quote:
An international version of the game was released in Japan as "Final Fantasy X: International" and in PAL territories under the name "Final Fantasy X." It features content not available in the original NTSC releases, including battles with dark versions of the game's aeons, an airship fight with the superboss Penance, and various added scenes. The Japanese release of Final Fantasy X: International also includes a twelve minute video clip bridging the story of Final Fantasy X with that of its sequel, Final Fantasy X-2.

Additionally, the European release includes a bonus DVD entitled "Beyond Final Fantasy", a disc including interviews with the game's developers, as well as two of the game's English voice actors, James Arnold Taylor (Tidus) and Hedy Burress (Yuna). Also included are various trailers for Final Fantasy X and other Square products, a gallery of concept and promotional art for the game, and a music video of "Suteki Da Ne" performed by Rikki.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Sep 19th, 2006 at 10:47 PM..
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #48
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I doubt you can really enjoy the fact of getting an edition featuring the beauty of a wonderful De Chirico artwork on the cover, if you can't find the game in stores
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #49
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

According to the Wikipedia article they said the PAL territories had a re-release of ICO on February 16. Is it still impossible to find?

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Sep 20th, 2006 at 01:01 AM..
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #50
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
According to the Wikipedia article they said the PAL territories had a re-release of ICO on February 16. Is it still impossible to find?

I think Hylas said she could find it only a few months ago. She's probably talking of the re-release of your post, meryl.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:03 AM   #51
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
I doubt you can really enjoy the fact of getting an edition featuring the beauty of a wonderful De Chirico artwork on the cover, if you can't find the game in stores

Limited Edition > Never Edition

it was a limited edition, but that edition wasn't even offered here. Also NTSC never saw a reprint, that was a PAL only deal.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:31 AM   #52
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

The cardboard sleeve was limited edition, but the same artwork was both on limited and regular edition. I don't know which edition was bought by Hylas. I thought it was the re-release because she said she could buy it only a few months ago, and that is when the re-release meryl was referring to became available. But it sort of true, that Ico wasn't a game that easy to find in stores, online and not online, and before the re-release became available, a copy was around 55-60 euro, not less. Blockbuster, and I remember it quite clearly, used to sell it for 61 euro, and Blockbuster was not the most expensive seller. At least in Italy and France - don't know in the rest of Europe, but that is valid for these countries and the few online stores selling a PAL copy before the new release.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:53 AM   #53
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
I think Hylas said she could find it only a few months ago. She's probably talking of the re-release of your post, meryl.
Oh okay. At least it's good Hylas was able to get a copy now because of the re-release.

Quote:
The cardboard sleeve was limited edition, but the same artwork was both on limited and regular edition.
Yes that's true. The only difference is that the PAL countries got this prettier cover of ICO, limited edition or not, as opposed to the horribly ugly cover that the US got.

You Can Help