Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 11:00 PM   #1
Hadoken

Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Just do it???

I recently read an article about Nike's operations in vietnam, and it was quite disturbing to me. I knew it was bad, but I didnt know it was this bad. Here are some of the highlights.

-The workers are not making a livable wage. They make an average of 20 cents per hour, or $1.60 a day from their factory jobs, but the cost for eating three simple meals is $2.10 a day.

-Workers cannot go to the bathroom more than once per 8-hour shift and they cannot drink water more than twice per shift.

-It is a common occurrence for workers to faint from exhaustion, heat, fumes and poor nutrition during their shifts.

-Verbal abuse and sexual harassment are frequent, and corporal punishment is often used. One day during our two week visit, 56 women workers at a Nike factory were forced to run around the factory’s premise in the hot sun because they weren’t wearing regulation shoes. 12 fainted during the run and were taken to the hospital. This was particularly painful to the Vietnamese because it occurred on International Women’s Day, an important holiday when Vietnam honors women.

-Women workers have complained about frequent sexual harassment from foreign supervisors. Even in broad daylight, in front of other workers, these supervisors try to touch, rub or grab their buttocks or chests. One supervisor told a female factory worker that it is a common custom for men in his country to greet women they like by grabbing their behinds.

-Health care is inadequate. At the Sam Yang Nike factory, with 6000 employees, one doctor works only two hours a day but the factory operates 20 hours a day.

And the worse part is that a nike shoe costs $1.20 to make, and is sold for $100. So "someone" is making a ****load of money, but yet, they still have to take advantage of they're workers.
But vietnam isnt the only country, this happens from many countries all around the world.
Hadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:01 AM   #2
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Hadoken, icould you show us where did you get that article from? Are you sure it's a completely reliable source?

Just by having read that, I can not feel but disgusted and angered. I wish I could express what I'm feeling right now but I could get banned from it

In any case, if that is the truth, there should be something to have been done....... it's just beyond comprehension, it's unacceptable, and I don't understand why the US goverment has done nothing about it.... not only the US, but Vietnam's and any other countries in which the labor cost is so low.

But if you can prove me that such facts are absolutely true, I'll guarantee you that I'll never again in my life buy anything with the symbol of such damnable company.

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM   #3
Lost_myth
Every One Dies Alone

Location: In the depths of existance where the hot magma flows.
Lost_myth is on a distinguished road
mog

NO! I can't listen anymore. That is so horrible. They can't get away with that sh*t. IT's just not right, let's fight them.

What the Hell! I don't like it. Some one should do something about it.

Well, I don't buy their stuff as it is.
Going nowhere Going nowhere
Their tears R filling up their glasses
No Xpression No Xpression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrows

No 2morrow No 2morrow
& I find it kindof funny I find it kindof sad.
These dreams in which i'm dying, R the best I've ever had
Lost_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #4
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I've read other articles in magazines many times about it. The reason why the goverment is not doing anything about it is called profit. It's not the last time you'll read something like that. It's not a novelty nor a surprise ...
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #5
Lost_myth
Every One Dies Alone

Location: In the depths of existance where the hot magma flows.
Lost_myth is on a distinguished road
mog

I know, I've heard stories like this before. I'm not really surprised I just don't like it.
Going nowhere Going nowhere
Their tears R filling up their glasses
No Xpression No Xpression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrows

No 2morrow No 2morrow
& I find it kindof funny I find it kindof sad.
These dreams in which i'm dying, R the best I've ever had
Lost_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:16 AM   #6
Hadoken

I think we've all heard about this kind of thing in the past. But most of us never really knew how bad it was.
Here's the article. Click on summary on the page to read the highlights.
Nike operations in VN
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:34 AM   #7
Soul Angel

Soul Angel is on a distinguished road
I've read articles on this in the past but I never knew that it was actually that bad
I feel sorry for the people who have to work in those conditions

"I'm back! But for how long who knows? But PS2Fantasy will always be on my mind!"
Soul Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:05 PM   #8
Black Heart
Mighty Captain

Black Heart is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the fact people are still living in these conditions is really sad, even if it's not a novelty. But you know what? People read articles like this one, they feel sorry for a couple of minutes and then forget everything. This ain't really helpful. It's not different from the ones who simply ignore the situation IMO.
Reality is even worse than the words you're now reading in the article, but nobody here, me included, will probably be able to understand the real meaning of living such a miserable life.
Black Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:08 AM   #9
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally posted by Hylas
I've read other articles in magazines many times about it. The reason why the goverment is not doing anything about it is called profit. It's not the last time you'll read something like that. It's not a novelty nor a surprise ...
Well, I KNOW and I have heard about even worse things, but the fact it is not new nor a surprise does not mean that people shouldn't do anything about it And as Hadoken said, we've heard about it before but actually did not know how bad it was... I knew that their labor cost was miserable and we are giving them loads of money, but I did not know that people was actually been treated like that.......

And yeah, you're right, money moves everything and that's why this world stinks so much.

I'm not buying from Nike anymore, though. (Like if anyone would give a damn about that )

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:18 AM   #10
Hadoken

I think that is a very good thing for you to do frozen. But there will always be many people still buying blindly from this company, not knowing of its operations. But all you have to do is tell people not to buy from nike, that would probably be the least you could do. And it does help.

And black heart, your right, it isnt helpful to just read and forget. what would be helpful is to actually take action. just say "dont buy nike's". sure, might sound like something stupid to do. telling people what to buy, but if you really want to try and do something about the current situation, then you will tell them.
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:58 AM   #11
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
Until I see a post by CNN or some major news company I am unable to believe a single thing that was posted. I am sorry but everyday i view hate sites about different companies and hear people say things about musicians or actors that just isnt ture. ANTI-ANYTHING sites are usually like the National Enquierer, full of nonsence.

Other company's have been prosictued for simular situations but I think its all just a bunch of garbage since I personally have seen nike shoes made by machines right in America. So please next time post me a site that is not Anit-nike, post me something that is completly straight up like a news web page or a pro nike site that has this info.

Thanks for your time

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:11 AM   #12
Hadoken

CNN
CNN, again

You happy now?
Just because a site is "anti-something" doesnt mean its ALWAYS nonsense.
And yeah, i'm sure PLENTY of people have seen nike plants here in the USA. Its nothing like the ones overseas. If they were, then nike would be in some pretty deep s***. They dont do it the same way here, simply because they cant get away with it. Its just something for people to look at.
Check the tags on nike shoes and see where it is they're made. There are a lot of them made overseas, dont you think?
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:58 AM   #13
Miki
Kawaii Neko Girl

Miki is on a distinguished road
I'm sure I won't buy Nike anymore, but what about other stuff? Are you sure other big companies like Adidas and so on are not doing the same thing? Some of their stuff is made in overseas countries as well. The fact we haven't read articles about other companies doesn't mean they're not doing the same thing! What to do then?
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:15 AM   #14
Hadoken

Buy stuff thats made in the USA? I got no other clue. lol
Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:58 PM   #15
Frozen
Dante May Cry

I also thought about what Miki said..... I guess I'll just keep buying from any other brands without that "reservation", but I guess that if I find out that they do same stuff as Nike did, I'll do the same as with Nike....

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:52 PM   #16
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I read about this 4 years ago. Except the one I read was about children and it was posted in my school during my Freshman year. It was happening in another Southeast Asia country, like the Phillipines or Malaysia I forget. They said that the children around ages 7-10 are forced to make the shoes day and night with no breaks and only 1 meal a day. They don't get paid much almost like Had's article, 20 cents an hour also. It makes me mad to hear things like this, but it doesn't surprise me. I think there were many people who were outraged at this, but nothing was done apparently since Had's article proved it's still going on.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote