Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
E3 2009

Even though the forums have, sadly, been rather slow, I'm sure most have caught E3. I decided to post this thread so everyone can share what games they're looking forward to or any other E3-related thoughts.

For me, I taped the first day of E3 via G4 (a very crappy channel that probably covered E3 very crappily but I prefer to see the coverage on TV rather than the net) so I skipped many of the games I didn't find interesting - mainly all the shooters and alien-takeovers like 99% that's on the market now and Rock Band or Rock Band influenced games *cough* Brutal Legend *cough* - and saw only Assassin's Creed 2...

...which kicked-a$$. Oh man, I really hope it turns out as awesome as it looks otherwise I'd be pretty disappointed. The shift towards the Renaissance is a smart move (still within history but more "modern"). I like how, like the first game, they'll incorporate some history in it such as the Medici family though my knowledge of the Renaissance is only so-so. The larger locations/districts (Tuscany, Venice, Florence) is very exciting, and the night environments(!) Playing the areas at night was one thing that was missing from the first game...it was so bizarre how it was daytime, well, all the time. I am a big "night" person so I was pretty excited to see how the game looks at night during an event such as Carnivale; it was really beautiful. I'm giddy!

Other things: the whole thing about Da Vinci being Ezio's friend who provides him with his inventions and all is clever and unique, although I do feel Da Vinci is pretty overexposed. The flying machine that Ezio used in the demo looks very exhilarating but I fear it will use the Sixaxis on the PS3 version. It'd be fine if the darn thing is responsive but otherwise it would make for some very excruciatingly irritating moments.

The idea of variety of missions to do rather than the repetitive investigations is wonderful although I am rather wary. From the sound of things, some missions Ezio performs are protecting people, carrying them, defending them...eh, that seems fine but also can be rather tedious?

Well, whatever it may be, I can't wait for this game. Another one on my list is Uncharted 2 but I only know bits of information here and there so I'll post about that later once I get full details.

Also, the new Castlevania: Lords of Shadow looks pretty good but the whole cinematic feel with hiring actors/actresses as voiceovers bugs me. Generally this bugs me but if they manage to make themselves sound other than, well ,themselves then it's all good. But in CLoS's case, they don't so it's pretty annoying.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Jun 4th, 2009 at 05:11 AM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
The person behind Brutal Legend actually made games like Grim Fandango and Psychonauts, so I would hardly call it a rock band influenced game. More like the kind of game Tim Schafer has wanted to make for a while. But that's just my take.

I caught a little of E3, but not much. I'm just not up for absorbing all that information all at once anymore. My biggest "hell yes" moment of the show was the announcement and trailer of Left 4 Dead 2, the original possibly being my favorite game last year. Other games like Crackdown 2, the Milo simulation (uncanny vally material for sure, but still awesome), Red Dead Redemption, Assassian's Creed 2 , Mass Effect 2 are all games I'm looking foreward to. I need to go back to it now that the information is more "compiled" and see what I miss.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Castlevania. It's being made by Kojima so it has the high chance to be awesome, but I don't think his "style" really fits with Castlevania. As much as I love Kojima's style, the dude is a bit overblown and cinematic for a game series that is more about the top-notch gameplay, not how pretty the cutscenes look. I'm hoping it's not just Metal Gearvania and more.......well Castlevania. That's one of my favorite series, so it's one I want little in the ways of "dicking around" in for lack of a better word. He has his work cut out for him in general, Castlevania has very rarely faired well outside 2-D sidescrolling but he'll give it a shot. He's finally making something new for him, not another Metal Gear title which he has been wanting to pull away from for a while so I'm sure he's excited to put his brand of game making into something else. But even then I would of liked him to make something completely original, a new IP. If anybody has the chops for it, it's Hideo.

Overall Red Dead Redemption and Left 4 Dead 2 are my big "do wants". Western games don't get the dues that they should, and the co-op of Left 4 Dead is some of the most fun I've had in a game in a long, long time. The only other thing on the mark is Prototype, which looks insanely awesome. There's more I want as well but I can barely name them all when I think about it.

I also think you should take a deeper look into Alan Wake Meryl, which is a game I thought long dead. I saw the trailer for it and it looks pretty damn awesome. It seems to be taking a more mature route to story telling and looks really impressive.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55 View Post
The person behind Brutal Legend actually made games like Grim Fandango and Psychonauts, so I would hardly call it a rock band influenced game. More like the kind of game Tim Schafer has wanted to make for a while. But that's just my take.
Yes, I know he created Psychonauts and all but perhaps I worded the whole "Rock Band-influenced" poorly. What I really meant was that it just so happens to be perfect timing to "release" this game in the midst of the whole "rock band/guitar hero" mania going around. Too coincidental and - to me - really annoying to see another "rock" game, only this time, taking the form of an action/adventure that has the fighting style of God of War.

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about the new Castlevania. It's being made by Kojima so it has the high chance to be awesome, but I don't think his "style" really fits with Castlevania. As much as I love Kojima's style, the dude is a bit overblown and cinematic for a game series that is more about the top-notch gameplay, not how pretty the cutscenes look. I'm hoping it's not just Metal Gearvania and more.......well Castlevania. That's one of my favorite series, so it's one I want little in the ways of "dicking around" in for lack of a better word. He has his work cut out for him in general, Castlevania has very rarely faired well outside 2-D sidescrolling but he'll give it a shot. He's finally making something new for him, not another Metal Gear title which he has been wanting to pull away from for a while so I'm sure he's excited to put his brand of game making into something else. But even then I would of liked him to make something completely original, a new IP. If anybody has the chops for it, it's Hideo.
"Metal Gearvania" LOL! But yeah, I agree with you about Kojima's style not suited for the Castlevania world though we may end up being wrong and the game ends up great. I like some of the gameplay - well, I suppose they are gameplay shots, the part where the main character is fighting some of the monsters, like that ogre/goblin thing - and I think the game looks beautiful visually but again, the whole hiring actors/actresses as VOs lends to the cinematic feel and, again, feels so...annoying.

And speaking of Kojima, there was news that Kojima is bringing the MGS series onto the 360...but with Raiden as the main character. I saw this on the crawl during G4's E3 Day 2 coverage so I don't know for sure if this is legit. If it is, I'm sure many 360 fans are not happy. Furthermore, Kojima is planning a MGS5 or something, according to the whole mystery countdown that happened on his site. As much as I love the MGS series, I just want to say "Stop. It. Now." I don't know what his deal is...for so many years, he's been saying it's his last Metal Gear and that's it, blah, blah. But then we get a new MG or MG-related game. And it's starting to bug me. He's starting to bug me. So, Kojima, I love your MGS games but it's time to let it go, man.

Quote:
I also think you should take a deeper look into Alan Wake Meryl, which is a game I thought long dead. I saw the trailer for it and it looks pretty damn awesome. It seems to be taking a more mature route to story telling and looks really impressive.
Somehow the name sounds familiar to me but I'll have to check it out more, thanks Beretta. Oh and aren't you looking forward to Bioshock 2? Let's hope they keep the story and elements like the original; I haven't played it yet (I know, I know) but if I can manage to get over my motion sickness, I'll give it a whirl.

Other games I'm looking forward to is Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain but I just hope it won't be so cinematic that it's like watching a film, heh. I think there are more games but I'll have to sift through it again.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
New Monkey Island!!!!! That was the real highlight.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote