Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #21
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Hehe, I'm sure there are many people who share your apprehension Panuru. I'm not saying I'm positive the adaptation will be stellar but I'm hoping it'll be better than what he's been making. We'll just have to see I suppose.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #22
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Im a big fan of The Riches on FX (talk about dark comedy :p), and Eddie Izzard kicks ass for sure! He is doing a stand up tour through Dallas i think, but not sure if id be able to go or not. As for Alice, this could possibly be something that Burton does fairly well. I wasnt a fan of the original Willy Wonka movie of the 70's and Burton apparently pretty much messed whatever desireable elements of that with his Charlies Chocolate Factory. So like most he is hit and miss with whatever he takes on, but occasionally a "No war for old men" may just pop out!
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #23
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Well, I was a fan of the original Willy Wonka movie. I don't know a thing about the original story of the book, so I can't say the first movie was loyal to it or not. The original movie was so much freaky, must have been Gene Wilder mainly - I don't think Depp was good for that role at all - and though it had sympathetic moments towards the characters, it was permeated with inflexibility and satire. And was very scary in some parts, at least if you watch it as a kid. Burton's movie on the other hand was so mild and watered-down... I did not know what to make of it. and the musical moments were a great disappointment

For the next Alice, I hope he's going to keep the satire and parody present in the original. In spirit I mean. I don't mind if the exact jokes are in the movie or not Alice must have its dark elements, but it's also a very funny work. We already have versions of Alice for the family and we also have versions for the grim. We lack something that is both, something more as Carroll intended it.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #24
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
goodman, have you seen Izzard's shows on DVD? If not, I highly suggest you check them out, particularly "Glorious" which I think is the funniest by far.

Panuru: I'd be interested to know which versions of Alice you're talking about or know of. I only know of 3 at the moment: the animated Disney one (of course), this made-for-TV musical that I believe was only shown in the US, and this Czech version called which I haven't seen yet. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read the book ( ) but I plan on doing so.

As for "Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" I also enjoyed the original movie as well. I read the book when I was really young but I've forgotten it now - I've heard others say Burton's version is accurate to the book while the original is not though. Burton's version isn't bad, the music wasn't terrible, and Depp wasn't terrible either; I think Wilder and Depp had their own unique visions of Wonka...but I think Wilder had more charm, darkness, and mystery - you don't know whether you can trust him or not - while when you see Depp...you know he has a backstory that is almost itching to get out...leaving a good chunk of enigma gone.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #25
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I think there are too many versions of Alice already, but none is very good IMO.

I liked the Disney version because I liked most Disney stuff as a kid. That one was nicely bizarre to be a "classic" cartoon. Not as much as Dumbo though - I think I am the only person I know to be completely crazy for the pink elephants part of Dumbo. I think I've watched that part gazillions of times... everybody else hates it, why?!

The Czech version you're talking about must be Svankmajer's Alice? I'm very fond of Jan Svankmajer. His Alice is very peculiar, very creative, but it's not like Carroll intended it, I'm afraid.

You don't have to have the perfect adaptation of a book, or books like in this case, because if you're expecting it you'll be disappointed. I know it. But I think all movies about Alice missed the point, or lack something. They choose one aspect or the other of the books. They never try to keep their complexity.

Burton has a thing for stories like Alice, it's true. All his movies are more or less about the same themes. I was sure either him or Terry Gilliam, or both, were going sooner or later to make their version of Alice. Gilliam sort of made it with Tideland. But though he mixed together pretty well fantasy and humour, he went too far and underlined the disturbing elements and the dark humour. Well, Tideland is a completely different story anyway, but I'm sure Carroll's books were one of its main inspirations. I'm waiting to see if Burton can make a good and balanced work without making it too weak or obliterating the insanity from it.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #26
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman
occasionally a "No war for old men" may just pop out!

ermmm, "No country for old men" is what i meant but you know that right, lol. See its tough getting old :p.........
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #27
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman
ermmm, "No country for old men" is what i meant but you know that right, lol. See its tough getting old :p.........

I just saw that. I enjoyed it immensely.

RED

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote