Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Silent Hill: Origins.

I was just curious to see if anybody here has played this game. It came out on the PS2 just a few days ago and I'm about a couple of hours into it and so far I'm really liking it.

It's the first SH game to have me really absorbed in it since SH2 and 1. I wasn't the biggest fan of SH3 (Most of the game felt "blah" to me, I just couldn't get into it completely, still beat it though.) and SH4 wasn't such a hit with me either. That game gets so tedious that it's the only SH I've never completed.

SH: Origins feels like a mix of SH1 and 2. The SH1 influence is obvious but it has a bit of SH2 in there with some enemies and dealing with the lead character Travis Grady's past. The only thing I'm not all that thrilled about is the weapon degradation system, it becomes less of an issue once you get out of the hospital and start finding a lot of weapons but it still seems ridiculous. Also add to the fact that the monsters in this SH game are the most aggressive yet (the straightjacket-like enemies seriously chase you down when wandering the streets, itchin' for a fight.)

You get a lot of fun weapons to use and destroying nurses with a portable TV is sort of hilarious but I would have been fine with 2 or 3 infinite use melee weapons like past games. At least you can use your fists in this game as a respite if you blow all your weapons. Which brings me to another thing, Travis is the heavyweight boxing champion of the world when it comes to laying the smack down with his fists. I never used a single weapon in the hospital save some throwable items and only my fists. It's even easy to slug it out with the bothersome running straightjackets in the street. It just strikes me odd. My inventory has tons of scalpels, meat hooks, 2X4's, wrenches etc. but fists work just as well. As much as I love the fist violence I'm really sort of iffy of the weapon system overall.

This also has the most guns in a SH game ever I believe. I found a 22. Pistol and you eventually get a Service Pistol, Sawed off Shotgun, Assault Rifle, and Magnum. I'm not sure if there is a hunting rifle like past games. But even then you'll want to save the ammo up for bosses or some tougher enemies which again brings you back to melee weapons.

I can't say much of the story so far, I've only gotten into the Sanitarium but I've already ran into all the past characters from SH1 (save Harry and Cheryl of course) at least once. Kaufmann and Dahlia are still as we remember and so is Lisa but I hear she gets a lot more slutty towards Travis and acts all light hearted despite the fact of the things she's involved with. I guess when Harry meets her; all the events are starting to take a toll on her. I'm also really liking Travis a lot so far too, he's voiced really well and he nails the "everyman" aspect more then the other SH characters IMO. The only thing is that he has no real pressing reason for being there after he saves Alessa from the fire and then goes to the hospital to see if she's there, which she isn't. It seems to me after all he saw at this place that he would try to get the hell out of the town, or Travis just perhaps has a huge heart and resolve for helping strangers. Maybe more will be revealed and give more reason for him to be there. Such as his childhood issues which are hinted at in the opening cut scene.

For anyone interested there was nothing extra added to the PS2 port of Origins. The only difference is that the graphics were updated to not look so ugly when coming from the smaller screen and graphical power of the PSP. I never played the PSP version myself but have seen plenty of videos and things are indeed more detailed. Everything from character models, to backgrounds, and various other textures. Loading times are also much better as well. The only thing is that the game has no brightness option like the PSP version and seems to be even darker then the PSP version. Which is bad if you decide to play a lot of the game without the flashlight on (to avoid the overly aggressive enemies.) There's an enemy in the Sanitarium that is almost impossible to take out from melee range and pistol ammo is always limited. So not using the flashlight is a more viable option this go around.) But I've still managed to sneak by tougher enemies without a flashlight and still get around alright.

But overall I'm really enjoying this game so far, it's the first SH I've really enjoyed from step one since SH1 and 2. Beside the weapon breaking system I'm enjoying everything this game has to offer and really does make up for the bad taste SH4 left in my mouth.

Also, the music is awesome. Akira Yamaoka is great as always.

Last edited by Beretta55; Mar 8th, 2008 at 07:57 AM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip, Beretta, i see its very reasonably priced, also. May just check it out in the near future. I just finished Zone of Enders 2 and have several options, but will certainly look into this one. I havent played a SH game in some time now, it would be neat to get into a good one again!
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote