Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #1
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Crummy PS2s

My PS2 finally kicked the bucket tonight so I thought I'd make a note here for everyone to help me say a few last words.

RIP Playstation

2002-2004

The real reason I made this thread is because I'm pretty angry that Sony has made a console that can become useless so quickly. The first signs of trouble were when it became difficult to load some games with blue bottoms, then DVD movies then pretty soon almost all games. I went on the internet and did all the fixes and it worked great for a few months until it stopped loading games a few nights ago. After trying all the repairs again it still doesn't work so I'm throwing in the towel on this one . . . and maybe biting the bullet to buy another one.

Has anyone else had there's make a complete shutdown like that? I feel like a bit of a stooge and rewarding Sony with more money for their faulty hardware but I'm still in the middle of so many good games and not having a PS2 when titles like Snake Eater come out would suck.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Mine did EXACTLY the same thing. So I traded in all my PS2 games and what not to get an X Box. I refuse to pay 200 bucks for an inferior machine thats obviously built to break. Of course youll get some replies by some fan boys who say theres has been perfect sence they got it. But it is an obvious design flaw, ive heard several other reports of this exact same thing happening. Perhaps only certain units carry this flaw, im not sure. But its complete bull shit..thats all I have to say about Sony.

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Jan 18th, 2004 at 11:31 PM..
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #3
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Mine hasnt been working since day one im on my second one. I find the reason why my first one broke (i still argee they are faulty systems they could of been made a hell of alot better) is because i got mine sometime in 2000. it broke around late 2001 and got a new one somewhere around 2002 and so far its been working like a charm. If this one breaks i will go poke somebody who works at sonys eye out
i would still get another one but i wouldnt be happy about it if ps2 didnt have such great games i would of never gotten one.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #4
neomarik
Dark Angel Knight

neomarik is on a distinguished road
fortunately mine hasnt........yet, but i feel for all of you

The time for redemption will come, and all shall be condemed forever into darkness.
neomarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #5
Big Dude
mwahahaha...

Big Dude is on a distinguished road
Re: Crummy PS2s

Quote:
Originally posted by Reid

RIP Playstation

2002-2004

The real reason I made this thread is because I'm pretty angry that Sony has made a console that can become useless so quickly. The first signs of trouble were when it became difficult to load some games with blue bottoms, then DVD movies then pretty soon almost all games. I went on the internet and did all the fixes and it worked great for a few months until it stopped loading games a few nights ago. After trying all the repairs again it still doesn't work so I'm throwing in the towel on this one . . . and maybe biting the bullet to buy another one.

That IS exactly what mine did too... Wall-Mart, at the time it died, would let you trade in your ps2 for a new one, even if you didnt have the reciept. They just took the borken one and told you to go the the elcetronics and they'ed give you a new one.

I would have just said 'scroo sony' but I have over $1000 worth of games for it, and a trade in would get me nothing, so I just went and spent that $200 for a new one...
My ps1 that I've had since they came out is still alive and well, its a shame the ps2s' werent as well built.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #6
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear about your ps2,

i'd get another one though if i were you. in fact i'm considering picking up another ps2 anyway. You may think that's dumb..but i have a launch system. I want one of the new models..then i can retire my old one.

I've only had problems with 3 discs so far..one was contra: shattered soilders the other two were demo discs i recieved from both eidos and sony's incognito studios. All were CD-rom format..my tekken tag tournament still works though, same thing with VF4 (the orginal, not evo)

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Jan 19th, 2004 at 03:02 AM..
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #7
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
They seem to be extremely sensitive for dust especially at the rear fan, so keep them nice and clean and dust your rooms!!

It seems that a lot of the first models have a flaw and wear out rather quick, it's a shame.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:31 AM   #8
Infernal Mass
pariah

the new issue of gamepro has a section in it on how to clean the ps2 yourself. Seems the problem is pretty common..

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #9
tempted

tempted is on a distinguished road
Well maybe PS2 isn't a really good console but i have to say that then i've been really lucky because i bought mine 2 years ago and never had a problem with it...plays all the games and dvds very well...i even tried to play a dvd-rw on it and it worked like if it was an original one..so i can't complaint...but i feel sorry for you though Reid...better luck next time..
tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #10
-PSX-
Answers Not Answered

-PSX- is on a distinguished road
OK heres the deal. People keep moaning about how their PS2s break and they have to buy a new one. Well they just don't take proper care to be frank. (No offence meant).

For a start the PS2 should not be on a carpet, near any walls, near any curtains or for that matter should really be vertical. The reason behind this is the vents can get clogged fast and the tray starts going a bit edgy.

Now then I have had my PS2 for a year now and clean it on a qweekly basis. I don't need to take the lid off and void my warranty. I have never had any problems with it. This is how I do it - and Ive never had more than 2 disc read errors.

1 - Decide a day of the week in which you will have time to perform any cleaning operation on your PS2.

2 - On that day do the following:

3 - First run a laser lens cleaner through the system (once if it hasn't been used much and twice if it has) and then check games, DVDs and CDs work in it.

4 - Suck up dust in the front vent using a hoover suction pipe.

5 - Open the expansion bay and put the pipe in their and move around and it can pick up some from inside through the holes in the side.

6 - Take a cloth and gently put it thorugh the fan vent holes and rub away all the dust.

7 - Give the whole unit a dust form top to bottom.

8 - Check games, DVDs and CDS work in it and if not repeat previous steps.

9 - Your PS2 should be as good as the say you pulled it out of the box.

10 - If you have no warranty left on it you can open it up and suck up the dust form inside but be xareful when doing so.

In this way I have never had any trouble with my PS2 and the only Disc Read Errors it gave me were for a DVD-R and CD-RW and thats not even specified media (it plays many DVD/CD-R s perfectly though). So this is why people keep moaning - dust is terrible and this is mainly whhy peoples PS2s start to give up as so much dust is collected.

Slim PS2 Lost Due To Size, If Any Information On How To Find It Please PM
-PSX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #11
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
^See, umm... yea. That's just too much work. I only put that much care into my car.

But I do dust off my PS2 just becuase for some reason my room accumulates a lot of dust and my PC blows it all around the room. If I go a week without dusting I get cobwebs in the corners.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #12
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
I remember reading that dusting and horizontal placement was important a few weeks after I got my PS2 and I've taken excellent care of it since then, cleaning it when necessary, etc and the problem seems to be now that the laser is just nonfunctional.

And besides, a videogame console should not, in my opinion require weekly maintenance in order to work - and if so there should be pretty significant notification of that on or in the packaging and instructions or even the unit itself.

Blah - anyway, I'm buying the network adaptor bundle with that, the PS2 and ATV Offroad Fury all together for $275 CA from one of my buddies who had that all brand new from a mistaken Christmas gift so it's all working out.

Still a little POed with Sony though - I'm thinking of chunking my old one into little bits and mailing that along with a strongly worded letter to Sony and seeing if I can get any form of apology from them.

Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #13
airbornecow

airbornecow is on a distinguished road
i know what is wrong with ALL of your PS2's. the same thing happened to me, the exact same thing. i inquired with it to SONY, and ther gave me troubleshooting techniques... but when problems persisted, i phoned them up and told them about my problem... and guess what? the offered to WAVE THE COST FOR REPAIR!!!!! so all i had to do was send it to the nearest service center, and they replaced the optical reader. they used a higher-quality one, so i haven't had any problems since the repair... about 4 months ago.

the newer PS2's, though, have the better optical readers, and include progressive scan.

all of the contact information for sony is on their site, varying from country to country. if you talk to a guy on the phone, he will give you instructions on how to mail your console and what to include.

if anyone needs help, just say so.
airbornecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #14
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

In responsre to PSX's post

Yeah...and why dont we construct a self contained bubble that creates a perfect environment for our PS2 to survive in. And then we can clean it every fifteen seconds, hell who needs a job or a life lets obsess over our PS2's. No thanks . I dont remmember having to do all that with the PS1 or the dreamcast. I certainly dont have to do that wiht my X Box, and ive never heard of having to do all that to the Gamecube. So lets not stick up for sony...theyre in the wrong on this one. Besides they say all that in the manuals just to cover thier asses when they produce faulty systems like sony has. They do that with tons of products but nobody is going to go to those extreems. I could make a car and say "Change the oil every day or it may break down" in the owners manual, so I can say "It broke down because you didnt channge the oil every day like you were supposed to. Its just about as rediculous.

Also..about cleaning. PW from these forums found an article online that showed him how to open up the system and clean it out (Just take out the screws under those rubber feet thingys on the bottom). He did so and it fixed the problems but if I remember correctly it was only a temporary fix. I believe he said it wasnt long before it went bad again. I think he's on his third ps2 now (To be fair one of them did break when it was knocked off a table or something)

But the permanent fix is simple. Either buy another system, or keep donating money to sony because they stick you with faulty systems. Its all a matter of how dedicated you are I guess..or is it how big a tool you are...I forget

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #15
airbornecow

airbornecow is on a distinguished road
so sony screwed up. so what? do what i said!
airbornecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #16
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally posted by airbornecow
do what i said!
no.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #17
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
so sony screwed up. so what? do what i said!
I tried that. The total for getting it repaired and shipped was like 150 bucks. Maybe they fixed yours free..but were not all going to be that lucky

Sony releases an inferior product so it can break causing the public to spend thier hard earned mony to replace them and you say so what ?. Maybe your made of money...but im not

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Jan 19th, 2004 at 08:52 PM..
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:18 AM   #18
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003
Sony releases an inferior product so it can break causing the public to spend thier hard earned mony to replace them and you say so what ?.
Not picking on you specifically Vicious, it was just that yours was the last post...

I have had a PS2 since day of release in the UK (24th November 2000) and it has never broken yet. Admittedly some discs do take slightly longer than others to boot up - but besides that there's been no problems.

I've probably cleaned my PS2 once in the past 3 years and it's been vertical since day one.

Whilst I don't doubt that people have had problems with PS2 hardware, I feel its worth pointing out that I have had none...

And to those who suggest having your PS2 vertical will cause problems - I say this: Absolute nonsense! For over 3 years mine has been vertical. Why perpetuate the myth that being vertical causes problems? It's designed to operate in either fashion...

- S
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #19
-PSX-
Answers Not Answered

-PSX- is on a distinguished road
OK, whatever you may say - cleaning it is nercersarry. Its like you open a PC case and its filled with dust (ah thats why its not been working so well (pulling the dust out of the hard drive)) but seriously, I understand that Sony really should have got their act together (hopefully they WILL make PS3 better) but I just had to accept that. My console is spotless every week after I cleaned it and there are no torubles whatsoever - but if people just let dust pile in - its like a virus for your PC. Thats all I got to say. Oh and airbornecow, my friend got the first model of PS2 that was faulty and he found buying a new once was cheaper than sending it to SONY. So really, if you have time look after it in good condition (you dont need it in a bubble, vicious) and you should have no bother.

Slim PS2 Lost Due To Size, If Any Information On How To Find It Please PM
-PSX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:45 AM   #20
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I'm sorry to hear that, Reid.

However, I can sympathize with you, as I've had the exact same problem... *sigh*

A while ago, my ps2 started acting stupid and wouldn't play any CD-Rs... And, omg... that's more than half my inventory! >_<;
Anyway, after calling Sony, they said that all I needed was to take it to the nearest so and so and they would fix it, given my warranty was still valid. And so, I went ahead and went... only to have them tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

. . .

After nearly having a heart attack, I came home and decided to open it myself - and so I did. Like you, I went on many sites in hopes of finding a method that would help me solve my problem. I tried cleaning it with the special disc or whatever, with a vacuum ( ), towels... and eventually opening it up to fix the voltage inside it.

None worked. >_<;

Then, it just so happened that I found an old magazine of GamePro... and in there was a solution that has worked for me to this very day:

Duct tape. Seriously. In the mag. all you had to do was place a strip of clear duct tape by the inner circle of the affected CD. However, after doing that... it didn't work, and so I put four strips of duct tape, so as to make and overlapping square shape of sorts encircling the inner circle... and Voila!

Damned thing has been working since. So, my recommendation to you, and all else: Try the tape before you waste another 200 (or so) bucks on that god forsaken machine.

PS: (I thought I was smart figuring that out... but it seems someone else did so too and put it up online. Guess I wasn't. Try Gamefaqs, guys. ^__^ )
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote