Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Closed Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:58 AM   #61
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

KraftSLU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry

This is flaming... and sincerely you really don't seem to understand how the Ps2 works... just read the articles on the system at Arstechnica.com

And first of all, the Xbox CPU is a simple Pentium III at 733 MHz, while the Ps2 has a 128bit RISC processor at 300 MHz... man those are really difficult to compare. You know it's not simply 700 > 300 = Xbox > Ps2 ... oh well...
yeah, but that 128bit RISC processor is severly hampered by the fact that it has less ram, less than half the ram banwidth and the fact that the CPU is only used for game variables and 2D animation... of which there is almost none in today's games. You need to look at the GPU, which is 128 bit on both the box and the PS2. The GPU on the box is 233 while the PS2s is about 146 mhz.

Oh, and even though the CPU is 128 bit on the PS2, it can only push info at the rate of 233 mhz clockspeed, while the XBox pushes 733mhz through its 32 pin connection.

You are right though, what he said was flaming and very fanboyish... but it was also pretty correct to a point. I am suprised sony didn't try to push for a little faster card for the timeframe in which their system came out. As far as the arguement of which system is superior hardware wise, the XBox wins on every level.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:11 AM   #62
Rohamgh

Rohamgh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Lost_myth
it looks really stupid. To me it seems like a gameboy. Ack, a heart attack!

Why exactly does it look like a GameBoy?? It's huge, (+) , it has substance (+) and it looks reaaaaly expensive (+).

Frankly, my PS2 and indeed my DVD player look like toys next to it. Not my TV tho it's bang and olufsen
the usurper, the throne-claimer,
the Lord of the Ring..."
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:04 AM   #63
xman2002

xman2002 is on a distinguished road
Harry;

That is not an opinion nor fanboy lingo about the games that are on both the PS2 and the Xbox. The reason that the Xbox reviews ALWAYS do better is because of the poor frame rate and infererior graphics on the PS2. I'm not refering to the overall score, but the fact that whenever there is a game on both consoles, then the reviewers almost always state that if you have all 3 consoles, then the Xbox version is the one to pick up (regardless of bonus material). This is from people that play BOTH versions not SEPERATE people. For those that need proof of the difference in graphics and frame rates, simply rent a copy of either Max Payne or Artic Thunder ( or even Wreckless....when it comes out) and do a comparison with the Xbox version. Once you do this you will see that this is not an opinion but a FACT.

I knew that this post would agitate a lot of PS2 fans and everyone wants to warrant their decisions, but the post wasn't intended for people that already own a PS2, but for the guy who hadn't made up his mind yet. Whether YOU are ANYONE likes it or not, the PS2 simply is an inferior console in MOST categories. I do realize that it is an older console, but I still think that even when it came out, Sony could have made it SO MUCH MORE. I apologize for coming across as fan-boyish. I don't own only one console nor do I work for Microsoft. I just wish that Sony would have done a few things differently like add a little more memory, a bigger video card and at least a slightly faster processor, & I don't believe that asking for 4 controller ports is asking too much........do you?

The point I am making, is that I felt even when the PS2 came out that it wasn't that much of an upgrade from the Dreamcast (in some ways it was a downgrade). Yes!....This is an OPINION. I never said it was a fact, but I did give my reasons for my opinion. Isn't that what the guy who started this thread asked for (our opinions)?

In regards to the Shemnue 2 being exclusive to the Xbox......., It is exclusive here in America. It was on the Dreamcast in other countries, but since I don't live there, it is exclusive to me.

Also, in regards to your suggestions that I am flaming the PS2. I don't reckon that I know if it really is or isn't. I'm not bashing the console, nor making rude, spiteful or foul statements, so I don't believe that I am flaming. All I know is that I was asked my opinion and I gave my reasons for having mine. You can't tell me I'm not supposed to have one that everyone agrees to (impossible). This is '' OTHER CONSOLES" forum, what did you expect?
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:22 AM   #64
ludaman99
Ludaman

Location: its 10:00 clock do you know where your kids are ?????
ludaman99 is on a distinguished road
but i dont understand if the ps2 is such an inferior console how come it has sold so many titles and is still doing so. Also im not a fanboy I have none of the nextgen consoles. I think the reason the ps2 is still here is because of its games whats the point of having the best graphics but having some crappy games.
Thats what sony was focusing on when creating the ps2 allthough i do agree they could have put in some more add ons
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:38 AM   #65
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by ludaman99
but i dont understand if the ps2 is such an inferior console how come it has sold so many titles and is still doing so. Also im not a fanboy I have none of the nextgen consoles. I think the reason the ps2 is still here is because of its games whats the point of having the best graphics but having some crappy games.
Thats what sony was focusing on when creating the ps2 allthough i do agree they could have put in some more add ons
The PS2 was not an inferior console at the time of it's launch. It's only competition, though, was the Dreamcast which was pretty much doomed from the get-go thanks to the Saturn, Sega-CD and 32x, which were all big failures. It sold like hotcakes early on because the only other option was the iffy dreamcast and along with all those consoles sold, a large number of games were sold.

The reason that there are still games in developement today is the fact that so many people own PS2 so game developers are counting on all those people to continue to buy games. That and it is a good system with some power in it, but it can't come close to the GC and Xbox stats, even on its best day.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #66
ludaman99
Ludaman

Question

do you think the ps2 wil still be here in about 2 to 3 years time I know its a little off topic but im just wondering.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:38 PM   #67
GaseousSnake
Ancient Wisdom

GaseousSnake is on a distinguished road
The ps2 is under alot of presure.Sony will try to release their console as fast as possible so that they can have a head start but M$ wount give them a head start this time.

"Make ma feel it make me feel alive again"
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM   #68
ludaman99
Ludaman

what do u mean release there console first
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #69
GaseousSnake
Ancient Wisdom

GaseousSnake is on a distinguished road
The ps3 will be out b4 any other new console

"Make ma feel it make me feel alive again"
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #70
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Not necessarily. I think MS is realizing how much they suffered because Sony beat them to the punch with a new console, whether or not the box is better. I wouldn't be suprised if MS is dumping extra money into the developement of a new system so they can release close to the same date as the PS3. If this happens, Sony is going to be hurting big time...
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:28 PM   #71
ludaman99
Ludaman

Exclamation

i doubt that they will be hurting it depends on which games come on the ps3 platform and as usual sony always seems to have the best games so i think that M$ will be the one hurting no matter how early they put it on the shelves.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #72
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
i doubt that they will be hurting it depends on which games come on the ps3 platform and as usual sony always seems to have the best games so i think that M$ will be the one hurting no matter how early they put it on the shelves.
]

Sorry, I seem to forget... what must have games were available at PS2 launch? To the contrary, sony has always had one of the weakest lineups with their system launches.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #73
ludaman99
Ludaman

Exclamation

They did not need any must have games for there launch because there was no compettion. Once the Xbox and Gamecube came out

Well u know the rest
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #74
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

but Sony has never had any 'killer apps' games off bat. When the original PSone came out, there was almost nothing worth while (umm... virtua fighter, i think was the top title) and psone owners had to wait for games like final fantasy, tekken, crash, etc. to come out. same thing happened with the PS2. Sony is renowned for not securing the types of games needed for a super launch.

This is going to bite them in the butt if they don't change their ways, MS knows this and Im sure will be releasing a crazy library with their new system, much like they did with the XBox. Now, I love sony as a gaming company, but MS is out for blood... and when Bill Gates wants something, he tends to get it.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:26 PM   #75
Lord_Of_NoTiNg
CheeseAndBreadGuy

Lord_Of_NoTiNg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by KraftSLU
but Sony has never had any 'killer apps' games off bat. When the original PSone came out, there was almost nothing worth while (umm... virtua fighter, i think was the top title) and psone owners had to wait for games like final fantasy, tekken, crash, etc. to come out. same thing happened with the PS2. Sony is renowned for not securing the types of games needed for a super launch.

This is going to bite them in the butt if they don't change their ways, MS knows this and Im sure will be releasing a crazy library with their new system, much like they did with the XBox. Now, I love sony as a gaming company, but MS is out for blood... and when Bill Gates wants something, he tends to get it.
So you think Sony will die because of MS in the next generation of consoles.(Remember Sony has a fan base of 35million)
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #76
ludaman99
Ludaman

well as u can plainly see the Xbox never had a killer launch either neither did the GC
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #77
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
well as u can plainly see the Xbox never had a killer launch either neither did the GC
That is true that no lineup has ever had a real killer launch but MS lineup was pretty good and way better than what sony had.I mean halo was a launch title and one of the xbox's big blockbusters

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:18 PM   #78
ludaman99
Ludaman

that was basically the only blockbuster it had for a while thats the game that was carrying the Xbox besides a few sports games.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #79
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
that was basically the only blockbuster it had for a while thats the game that was carrying the Xbox besides a few sports games.
Umm... Halo, DOA3 and I think PGR all sold over a million copies apiece in under half a year. 3 games selling a million apiece for a new system is unheard of. I think that is proof MS is not fooling around with launch titles.
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:34 PM   #80
xman2002

xman2002 is on a distinguished road
Microsoft's Xbox had easily not only the MOST games of any console launch, but also easily the best quality of games of any console launch in history: Halo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham Racing, Madden 2002, NFL Fever 2002 ( which outsold Madden on the Xbox and is the first and only football game to do better than Madden on ANY SYSTEM in many many years), Munch's Oddysee, Fusion Frenzy, NASCAR Thunder 2002, Shrek, Dark Summit, Cel Damage , NHL Hitz 20-02, NASCAR Heat 2002, TransWorld Surf, Test Drive Off Road Wide Open , Mad Dash Racing, 4x4 Evo 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x , and AirForce Delta Storm. Now not all of these are stellar games by any means but overall they do represent quite an impressive launch library.

I know that people think that since PS2 outsells the Xbox globally that it must be the best console but when you think about it that's not necessarily true. First of all, the Xbox came out during a 3 way console battle against 2 already established console companies. Sony only had to battle the already dying Dreamcast so what else were people to buy? Xbox is the new "X factor" (literally) of the 3 consoles. They had yet to prove themselves as a serious contender in the so called console wars. A lot of people weren't going to just go dish out $300 on a new reletively unknown console. Even when Sony came out with it's original Playstation, they had to gradually over more than 5 years time, win people over. They were by no means an overnight success nor even a one year success. So given some time it does appear as if Microsoft is heading in the right direction but it just takes time.

One of the biggest obstacles that Microsoft appears to have is name brand recognition is actually not necessarily in their favor in many peoples eyes. There are a lot of Microsoft haters out there that simply won't buy anything that Microsoft makes no matter how good it is. This ( to me ) is not only a hinderance but a shame. Sure they have made business mistakes and may come across as greedy. All companies make mistakes, so as long as they make good products, people shouldn't care. I'm not particularly partial ( obviously) to the Sony Playstation 2, but I sure do love my Sony 5.1 surround sound system. The point is that I don't buy something because of who makes it which obviously lots of people do, but for how good the product is. Yes, Microsoft Windows is buggy, but their Hardware sure isn't. They are well known to make GREAT Joysticks, Gamepads, Mice, Keyboards, etc.. and should now be reckognized as pretty decent console makers. Is the Xbox perfect?...Of course not! Is any console?....Nope! But the Xbox sure is one fine first try.

Sony will release the PS3 before we ever see anything new from either Microsoft or Nintendo. Hopefully Microsoft won't give them over an entire year head start like they did with the PS2. It would be a very interesting battle if they both were released as close as the Gamecube and Xbox were ( 3 days apart ). Especially with Microsoft having a little console experience under their belts and hopefully without name recognition hurting them anymore.
Closed Thread