Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » RPG Forum

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Dragon Quest 8 impressions?

where is?

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
Wow, thats a whole lot of questions in your topic.

Anyways, if you can get past the fact that it looks like DBZ, you are in for a great game. The game carries along with the famous DW/DQ series with their great story, music, and even the famous sound effects. And something that a lot of the hardcore RPGamers out there have been waiting for, a long and challenging game. The bosses provide challenge and some of the puzzles actually require some thought. 30 hours in and it doesn't seem like I am close to the end.

This game is so good that I haven't even played the FFXII demo that comes with it. This is definately a stocking stuffer for this upcoming Chirstmas.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Phenom

Phenom is on a distinguished road
"Cast Full Life" (or was that full cure? lol) Forgot what DQ8 uses in terms for bringing folks back to life.

Anyway, last time I had this game, I didn't give it much of a chance because I had just got done beating Final Fantasy 8. And jumped right into Chrono Cross, only to be disappointed. (To be fair, I didn't give CC a fair chance either) As much as I love FF8, it turned out that FF8 wore me out with rpg's in general for quite some time, because I had gotten rid of all of my games that I had at that point. (SMT: Nocturne, Kingdom Hearts 2, Rogue Galaxy.. etc) Another reason that I sort of got rid of it (them.. DQ8 and SMT) was because I couldn't find a decent walkthrough, and I was pretty much lost with what to do, and didn't feel like exploring. (Yea, I know, why did I even bother buying them in the first place, right? lol)

In any case, I've had a huge craving to play Dragon Quest 8 again after playing Chrono Trigger. I've always been a fan of Akira Toriyama's artwork (when it's consistent lol) And I'm glad I picked this game up again because I'm loving every bit of it. I'm about 30 hours in (majority of it is from just letting the game sit there while on the net reading a walkthrough >_>) and I'm just now getting pass Ascantha. My party is between the levels of 16-20. (Also, most of my time has been spent on level grinding.)

I'm diggin the fact that there skills in the game that you have to learn instead of acquiring materia and whatnot. Because, with materia, I was always selfish and giving the best stuff to Cloud. Although, I've never really had a problem with level grinding, it's actually worth levelling your characters up.

As I said, I've always liked Akira's artwork, and I like the cell-shaded look. I also like the characters, outside of Trode. I find him to be annoying, but not as annoying as other characters in other games of the genre. (Sora, Fayt, Tidus)

The voice work is really good. And the music, while it's nothing memorable, it's not bad either. If anything, it's taking a bit for it to grow onto me since I've never really sat down to listen to the type of music in this.

Like majority of the other games, I've not payed much attention to the story lol. While this game brought nothing new to the table, it did however, expand on what was already done, and made it better. This is the best rpg on the ps2 IMO. (I definately didn't care for FFX and Sora killed any good moments that was in the KH series)

By the way, any tips on using the alchemy pot? I've already made an enhanced boomerang, but that's pretty much it. Anything I should try at this point of the game? (In terms of making new weapons and armor that is)
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote