Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Grand Theft Auto Forum

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 03:02 PM   #21
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by XboxKiller
Damn I fell sorry for you spank-a-thon. here you are saying that one of the best ps2 game is like FIFA 2003
come on its much better than that.

<snip>

by the way I never knew that you could take the blurriness off the game I tried it yesterday and damn that was a sharp clean no mess gta game I have ever seen
xbox and gc owners eat your heart out
I think you misunderstand, I didn't mean to compare GTA: VC to FIFA2003 in terms of gameplay or anything. What I was getting at is that the difference between GTA 3 and GTA: VC is similar to that between FIFA versions. It's more of an update rather than a true evolution.

As for taking the Trails off, you're not kidding! As I discovered last night, it makes one hell of a difference to the game's looks! Far better now without all the blur!
Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:56 PM   #22
Infernus

Infernus is on a distinguished road
I like GTA3 better than VC in many ways.

My biggest problem with VC is the color scheme, putting Lazlow on VROCK instead of chat was not the best move and if you'll notice some of the missions are more thought out where others just seem thrown in.

The cars drive better, much, and the bikes are great.

My opinion is (and from knowing programmers) that the company didn't want to wait until the programmers were finished. And since the city is twice as big, why isn't there 200 packages instead of 100??? (see my above statement) And, why a pink arrow (which you can barely freaking see half the time) instead of blue?

GTA3 was simply more robust (in the programming term) than VC. My game has locked up on me, lags, half the time my helicopter is at Hyman, half the time not. He can jump five feet and be fine but if he stubs his toe you lose 5 points of your armor... what is that about??? The commercials and the talk radio isn't half as interesting or funny either. And when you buy Pole Position, why do I have to spend 5 minutes looking at the ugly girl to earn money? It could go a little faster... it was pretty darn boring.

VC is cool, but it isn't as good as I was hoping for either. I still rate it high, but it could have been better. Much better.

Infernus
Infernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:33 PM   #23
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
Comparing the two I think that VC is a better game while GTA III was a better experience. Mostly because GTA III was brand new.

Vice City seems like it was done before because it was. I've never thought of VC as a true sequel, but rather a very high quality expansion pack. I'm happy because I got more of what I got with GTA 3, only better. And it's the subtle improvements that make this game really great. (if magazines pass this up for some ridiculous FPS for game of the year, I'm going to start firebombing).

Despite loving this game, and having experienced none of the bugs that so many people complain about (maybe I'm blessed or somethin') there are some flaws in the game that I can point out..

As mentioned before, Vice City's a little bit TOO navigable, at least through most of the city. Get down around little haiti and havana and your driving experience makes like a hedge maze. I didn't even FIND sunshine autos until after I'd beaten the story missions.. (then again maybe that's just 'cause I suck at finding things. *shrugs*).

The game, despite being longer, also feels a little short. I think Rockstar relied too heavily on the free-form missions.. it makes it feel shorter. More "story" missions, and more properties, would have done a lot to alleviate this, obviously. Then again maybe it's just short because there is no learning curve this time. I think a lot of people forget that you had to learn how to do everything in GTA III, and in Vice City most people already know how to do the stuff.

The cops' AI is goo-... well, better, than it was in GTA III, but they're EVERYWHERE! I haven't been to Miami but I wasn't under the impression that there was a cop on every corner! Argh.. it gets frustrating sometimes. Especially when there are so many "rare" and/or expensive weapons to lose when you get busted/wasted.

The graphics are good, the weather effects are great.. but the blur in this game is worse, if anything. I turned it off after the first day, while I'd always left it on in Liberty. Maybe it's just all the Neon. A little more time to program some anti-aliasing would have been good, but that's a very tiny complaint.

There are more things, but I'm kinda burned out.. I guess I'll edit later or something.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:12 AM   #24
Richg67

Richg67 is on a distinguished road
F.l.a.w.s.

First of all I'd like to mention - as we all know - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the end all beat all best game out there to date. It's got more than we ever expected to get from a top dollar game designer. They (Rockstar) simply deliver the 'goods'. They know what we want ('cause we tell 'em) and they deliver ('cause they listen). There are some flaws in the game...we all know this. Bugs and such don't make game play so bad that we just can't play (like many PC games) so I won't go there as not much can be done about it in a console game....but for FUTURE reference....

I just wanna mention some things I think would enhance the game further.

The ability to heal while hiding/resting (standing still for a period of time without conflict) albeit slowly like one point per hour. Another thing is bleeding. Get shot...lose health slowly depending on how bad until you patch it up...somehow.

The ability to have hookers do you on the spot WITH the risk of being busted by police.

The ability to swim (if ONLY) should be considered.

The ability to steal cars when parked shouldn't be so easy. I know the game is designed for fun but wouldn't it be fun to hotwire or have the gadjets to unlock/unalarm said car? Also, when carjacking perhaps the occasional individual would have the car locked...you break the window...force entry...thereby adding some random risk factors.

The ability to lose the police by simply changing cars would be nice. Sound too easy? Well add the speed limit law and that should balance things out. I mean....I can fix the car and change the paint and they don't recognize me but I change cars totally and they spot me?...is it because I've left the scene while the car's being done that they've forgotten about me? Is it because that's the way it's been since GTA 1 that we need to keep tradition? Consider this...A CERTAIN cop knows your face...THAT cop could spot you on a bike or convertible if you changed cars otherwise a cop uninformed would not (depending on how many stars you have). Now I know cops communicate so they would be looking for your clothes, your car but lastly your description. With that in mind there shouldn't be cops ready to ram you just because of the car you're driving (heck they should ram ALL cars that look like yours if that were the case) so the police need to adopt a sort of awareness that's more realistic. NOW....here's where it get's interesting. Beauty Salon = change of description (if only temporary (Simple mustache, etc....but at a cost). OR the ability to wear a mask so as not to be recognized in the first place (Run from the scene and get to safehouse and lose clothes and the stars that mark you). Cops should be on the look-out after a mission as well. If develepers need the chase to be off after the mission then make cut-scene to model that. In the mission where Tommy shoots up the mall it's like all of a sudden (when he's done) they don't know him...I mean WTF!?!

So now....here you are done with the mission and have a change of clothes and a different car...you're thinking everything's just peachy when (against all odds) a cop spots you by your appearance and the chase is on again.....I think it could work.
Richg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:25 AM   #25
Richg67

Re: Serious flaws with GTA: VC

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
My biggest criticism has to be with the graphics. While I realise there is a lot going on, the draw-distance is pathetic. There has been no visible improvement over GTA3.
That's because there has been no improvment of PS2 graphics engine.
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:29 AM   #26
Richg67

Re: Serious flaws with GTA: VC

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
Similarly, I find the jerkiness and blur effects when turning (be that driving or in first person mode) to be very off-putting. If it can scroll smoothly when moving forwards, why not when turning?
The blur (trails) effect can be turned off.
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:33 AM   #27
Richg67

Quote:
Originally posted by jdkgts
I just didn't like GTA3. It got old too fast for me. Hopefully with VC it won't be this way. I amy rent it first to be sure.
If you didn't like GTA 3 then you won't like this game either PERIOD
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:51 AM   #28
Richg67

Quote:
Originally posted by goodman
Even though the sales of the game no doubt are astounding, i expect Rockstar will be listening closely, and work hard to make their next GTA the best experience it can be. People will wait some next time before buying another one to make sure its a big leap over this one....
AGREED

See....THAT'S the thing...ROCKSTAR wants to make a better game based on what the people want. It is better to say what you want than to cry about what is.

If this 'GTA 4' thing is a reality it would be nice to see a 're-vamped' engine with more realism with Mafia's ablity to sense certain driving violations mixed in with Hitman's ablity to sense a persons face after a period of time.
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #29
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Serious flaws with GTA: VC

Quote:
Originally posted by Richg67
That's because there has been no improvment of PS2 graphics engine.
What are you talking?
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:02 PM   #30
Infernus

Infernus is on a distinguished road
Hey BlackThornn, you said a lot of things I thought about after I posted (and some I did during posting, but I don't want to seem like I am bashing the game because I wouldn't be playing it if I thought it sucked!). The presence of the cops is WAY TOO HIGH and I was very dissapointed that the main storyline isn't longer and maybe a bit more involved.

The concept of spending time just being "the boss" is a good concept, but I can't do anymore now that I have the Estate than I could when I didn't. So what is that about? Blah.

But yes, I will be pretty pissed if it gets passed over!

Speaking of glitches and bugs (I forget who it was brought that up, sorry!) 2 guys tried to steal a car from me today... one got in on my passenger side before I could take off and I lost control of the car! It just started driving around, I couldn't steer and the brakes were non-effective but I could give it more gas and change the radio station. LOL I finally caused him to ram into a wall and it then allowed me to exit. (Yes, I tried triangle while in the car before that, it did not work) That's a serious glitch. I almost lost 10k from my asset properties and some robberies. I would have been seriously mad!
Infernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #31
furry_spatula
Banned Member

furry_spatula is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with that one fella. This game was just slopped together. They completely didnt debug it, I mean.. you sprint, and just start losing armor or health, like 3 points of it, and you jump out of a car or a helicopter going 60mph and it only does 7.. what the hell is up with that?? that pisses me off so much, that I just pick up a health and an armor, all refreshed and fully restored, and I turn around and walk down some steps and lose like 5 points of it, I mean WTF?!?!?!
furry_spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #32
furry_spatula
Banned Member

And another thing, sure VC has a lot more bells and whistles than GTA3, but all in all, I think GTA3 was a MUCH better game. It was put together more solidly, and it was just, a lot more firm, and well thought-out. And I also liked the idea of the character being "me" than actually the character being involved in a story and having a name. It takes away from some of the suspense.

VC is just GTA3, half-assed upgraded, in my opinion
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #33
Richg67

Re: Re: Re: Serious flaws with GTA: VC

Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake

What are you talking?
What I mean is that GTA 3 and GTA VC are both made for the PS2. How COULD the graphics be better?

There ARE however, better things with the graphics that exsist.
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 08:30 PM   #34
furry_spatula
Banned Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Serious flaws with GTA: VC

Quote:
Originally posted by Richg67

What I mean is that GTA 3 and GTA VC are both made for the PS2. How COULD the graphics be better?

There ARE however, better things with the graphics that exsist.
graphics engines dude, what they build the game with, it COULD be better. But its the same thing as GTA 3, they could of used like.. I dont know, the MGS engine or Silent Hill engine for it, but they didnt. I guess there's too much shit going on for it to be that good. But the graphics COULD of been way better. They are improved, somewhat.. but not much. And what makes buildings and cars and so forth get all liney and striped and stuff if you look at them from atop a building thru a sniper rifle. It gets all shitty looking.

PS: I hate unique jumps
Old Nov 17th, 2002, 08:32 PM   #35
Richg67

Well, I think they are doing that with GTA 4
Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:51 PM   #36
twiztidfreak69er
The Freak of da Week

twiztidfreak69er is on a distinguished road
We need to send a letter to R* and tell them to make a new GTA with a MGS type engine or better even lol
twiztidfreak69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:17 AM   #37
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
hmm i dont think they will do that but its a good idea but the graphics for gta 3 and vc were fine just a few bits to improve
dan da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:46 PM   #38
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
i think rockstar where on drugs when they did the lighting effects! you ever drived during dawn/dusk and you get the sum in your eyes! the whole screen goes white! you cannot drive like it its caused me to fail a few missions at time, also the stupid neons along the hotel strip are to much, youu cant see at night for all the pinks and purples that flood the screen, does anyone else feel the lights are too much?

also i think GTA4 should concentrate a bit more on being inside the building, it was good that you could rob shops n get in some buildings like the mansion and such but GTA4 should have no limits, access to every place (if it isnt locked)
and features such as robbing homes and burgularising (sp?) buildings, instead of basing it on the streets.
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:50 PM   #39
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
^
^
yea that would be good, the lighting affects with sun shining u cant see where your going and its like looking at the real sun!
dan da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:29 PM   #40
Richg67

MarkO:
Ever drive a car with glare in your eyes before?
It looks just like that. It's realism.

However, some of the lights are a bit much. I don't think I've ever seen a stop light quite like those in GTA-VC.

They were most likely on drugs during development. When I do drugs the lights look fine but when sober....well....just take some drugs and all will be well.