Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #1
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
damn, good new/ bad news

yay saint seiya is gona b aired on cartoon nertwork

the bad thing is, its gonna b aired on saturdays and it has the worst dubbing every wow my fav anime ruined how nice
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #2
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
I don't see why people say anime has bad english voice overs, why is it that people say that? Anyway, what's this thing about?
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #3
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Unless the american voice actors arent very good actors or thier voices arent the right pitch i dont see why either. Most people who concider themselves hardcore anime fans pride themselves in watching untouched originals in Jappanese. Makes them feel like there REAL fans. I for one would much prefer a dubbed anime in english to a jappenese one with subtitles. I watched Knockin on Heavens door in Jappenese once and i must say I MUCH prefer the english dumbbed version. Spikes voice sounds really wierd in Jappenese. Of course my not speaking the language just might have something to do with that preference . But in this case maybe the acting is just really bad in the english version of saint seiya . Ya never know

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #4
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Yea well Vicious, Cowboy Bebop is one of the only anime's that got a good dub.

And I don't like watching sub's because it makes me feel like a "real fan" or whatever you were talking about, I watch it because the Japanese VA's use much more emotion and they just plain sound better. I mean, geez, Kenshin is a horrible show when you watch the dub, yet it's one of my favorites when you watch the sub's. That's why I like subtitles.. Don't try and speak for me or anyone else next time.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #5
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

I hear ya Vicious, sometimes I can't even finish reading the subtitles before they go away. There's the other problem for me of looking at the subtitles and nothing but the subtitles. As for emotion, I guess I never really think about it. So far the only anime I've seen in japanese is a few episodes in Kenshin, Jinei is also the only character I heard that I thought the japanese voice sounded better. Sometimes I think it's interesting to hear the japanese voices though, especially the women.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13
So far the only anime I've seen in japanese is a few episodes in Kenshin, Jinei is also the only character I heard that I thought the japanese voice sounded better.
WHAT?!?! Kenshin's dub is absolutely horrible. Sano and Kaoru have like...zero emotion in the dub. It sucks really bad. And in the Japanese version, Kenshin uses lots of japanese phrases that don't translate well, so the whole time he goes "blah blah, that I am," or some stupid stuff. He sounds retarded.

But I guess if you like the dub better, good for you. But it's crap compared to the originals and you'll never experience all of Kenshin without watching good translations and subtitles.

As for it scrolling to fast....umm...sub's stay up pretty long. It shouldn't really be a problem to read them, but oh well...
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #7
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

There was actually at least one scene that I was unable to read all of, in fact there were more like 3 at least.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #8
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

I disagree, I thuroughly enjoyed the episodes of Kenshin I watched, I thought the voice acting was good. Kenshin could have sounded a bit more manly, but thats my only complaint

And by the way I wasnt reffering to you Suzuki. I was refering to some people. The fact that you got angered by it makes it seem more like maybe you Do fall into that catagory. But ill take your word for it. Refer to my disclamer at the bottom if you want to over react to things. Maybe you just prefer it in Jappenese. Thats fine, your entitled to your opinion. So is Trunks and myself.

Quote:
But in this case maybe the acting is just really bad in the english version of saint seiya
Did you even bother to read that part. I think that proves that I wasnt reffering directly to you or anyone here in the previous statement. Calm down..please

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Aug 18th, 2003 at 10:10 PM..
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #9
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

And by the way I wasnt reffering to you Suzuki. I was refering to some people. The fact that you got angered by it makes it seem more like maybe you Do fall into that catagory. But ill take your word for it.
I'm sure Suzuki was upset at your statement because of what you said earlier:

Quote:

Most people who concider themselves hardcore anime fans pride themselves in watching untouched originals in Jappanese. Makes them feel like there REAL fans.
Since you said "Most people" instead of "Some people", it made it seem as if you were saying a majority of hardcore anime fans watch subs to make themselves feel proud or something. Sure, there are people like that, but what you said can be pretty offending to those who do consider themselves hardcore fans, but watch subs for the reason that it sounds better than dubs. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding, but I just wanted to point it out.

Anyway, CN seems to be airing older animes...I hope Saint Seiya does well.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #10
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most people who concider themselves hardcore anime fans pride themselves in watching untouched originals in Jappanese. Makes them feel like there REAL fans.
As with some games, I do not consider myself a fan, however I love anime.

For one thing, dubbing animes changes partially, (and sadly, almost completely, some times, mostly in Dragon Ball) the content and context of what is said.

As an example, in "Samurai X" they can horribly change what Kenshin means in what he says, for example:

Shinsen-Gumi soldiers are infront of him. He tells them something like: "Let's not fight, and you will live"

But then the dub changes it to: "Leave, or die"

Even though both sentences lead to the same message in the end, what he originally said was a peaceful warning, meaning that if they left him alone no one would have trouble, in the dub it was changed in order to sound like a threat, instead of a warning: "Get out of my way, or I'll kill you". That, right there, changes the character's personality on a great deal. Instead of sounding like the wandering swordsman Kenshin wants to become in that precise moment of his life, they made him sound no less like the assassin he's trying to leave behind.

And this happens all the time with dubs. It makes me almost cry to see how they have ruined Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, when, for example, Gohan always treats Piccoro with utmost respect, his american-piece-of-shit-voice just refers to him as "Piccolo" instead of "Mr. Piccoro". Gohan is his disciple, he treats him as a master, but his english voive just gives him a casual tone which destroys that disciple-master addressing.

Even though it is needed to make the voice-dialogue a little bit shorter some times, or longer in other ocassions, as for it to fit the animation, they do not need to change the meaning of what is said, but htey do it all the time. Mostly they want it to sound "cool", "western" but they just fuck it up.

And my hopes go well along with meryl-chan's, I hope that Saint Seiya does well, however, my expectations are quite different: It's gonna sound like ass. But I can say nothing 'till I watch it.

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #11
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Hmm..i didnt realize they chopped the shows up so much in the dubs. Thats no good.

Quote:
Most people" instead of "Some people
Hmm...you make a good point. Again my using the wrong words has caused some strife. Tisk Tisk on me I guess. Ill try and think a bit more before I type. I was just pointing out that i really hate it when people are so proud of themselves and see themselves as better fans just because they watch untouched versions. If I could stumoch them maybe Id watch them too. But I feel that dialouge is VERY important in an anime, and when I cant even understand whats being said it completely rapes a very important peice of the experience. That doesent change the fact that some people still need to take it easy, I cant stand it when people get so worked up so easily. If your gonna trip over something someone who is practically a stranger says on a message board how do you react to people face to face ? .

Thats why I cant stand younger girls(not reffering to anyoone here of course), I dont feel like fighting a war everytime I do the slightest thing they dont agree with(Like not wanting to eat at Long John Silvers. Dont get me started on that). Heh, but I guess thats a part of life ill just have to deal with like everybody else

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Aug 20th, 2003 at 10:16 PM..
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:11 AM   #12
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
crap man

www.zodiacknights.com

not only did they ruin the voices and made it look cheesy but they also ruined the "I ran" song :'(
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:40 PM   #13
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Frozen

As an example, in "Samurai X" they can horribly change what Kenshin means in what he says, for example:

Shinsen-Gumi soldiers are infront of him. He tells them something like: "Let's not fight, and you will live"

But then the dub changes it to: "Leave, or die"

Even though both sentences lead to the same message in the end, what he originally said was a peaceful warning, meaning that if they left him alone no one would have trouble, in the dub it was changed in order to sound like a threat, instead of a warning: "Get out of my way, or I'll kill you". That, right there, changes the character's personality on a great deal. Instead of sounding like the wandering swordsman Kenshin wants to become in that precise moment of his life, they made him sound no less like the assassin he's trying to leave behind.

Even though it is needed to make the voice-dialogue a little bit shorter some times, or longer in other ocassions, as for it to fit the animation, they do not need to change the meaning of what is said, but htey do it all the time. Mostly they want it to sound "cool", "western" but they just fuck it up.
Yes, what Frozen-sama said is a good reason why some prefer subs to dubs. The same can be said about other animes as well. Like jokes are changed in the dub to help the viewers understand it more and sometimes, it doesn't even fit in the situation. An anime series the dubbing is really messed up is Ranma 1/2. A lot of times, what the characters say are not true to what the original Japanese intended. This can either make a character seem really annoying or make the whole series unwatchable.

Quote:
I was just pointing out that i really hate it when people are so proud of themselves and see themselves as better fans just because they watch untouched versions.
Well, those type of people are pretty annoying, but you can be rest-assured that those who overly-exaggerate the fact they like subs more than dubs are really not true fans.

And gamer, I understand how you feel when dubbing turns out badly. I can only say sorry.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote