Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old May 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
2 FFXIII game for the PS3

Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII

At Square Enix's press conference at E3 in Los Angeles, the company officially announced Final Fantasy XIII for the PlayStation 3. Square Enix then proceeded to show a trailer from the game, in which a female protagonist is seen flying around a city. The game is being created by the same team behind Final Fantasy X. The game runs on the "White Engine" and was originally planned for the PlayStation 2 but was later moved to the PS3.

LINK

** FFXIII Screens **
Quote:
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Square Enix had only just officially announced Final Fantasy XIII at its E3 2006 press conference, but that didn't stop the company from announcing its sequel. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is being created by the team behind Kingdom Hearts 2 and will be an "extreme action game" that serves as the direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII and will appear on the PS3. The trailer for the game was done by the team that put together Advent Children.

LINK

** FFvXIII Screens **

Last edited by Vic Viper; May 8th, 2006 at 05:54 PM..
Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Extra Extra: Dead horse flogged for all it's worth!

No seriously, this quote from Gamespot really saddens me:
Quote:
Some more commentary on SE's commitment to supporting the next gen. Speaks more about the "synergy between products" being a proven formula with Compilation of FFVII. Looks like they're taking the same tack with FFXIII.
Gone are the days of making a single, concentrated self contained Final Fantasy game. Square-Enix now want your money in every way they can possibly obtain it. They won't rest until they have you playing each fraction of the story on PS3, DVD, Mobile and Handheld. After that Enix merger, it's like they lost a part of their soul, and it's sad

Yes i'm aware i'm being ridiculously nostalgic for something that has always been a capitalist venture, but still. I feel something is missing in Square-Enix that was there with Squaresoft.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Come now, this is getting ridiculous. Announcing a game then announcing the sequel that goes with it...in such early stages already? Why not just make a full game...no sequels, no add-ons, no "side stories"...just make one really good game, like they used to. Hearing this makes me just annoyed, not to mention having to hear the sequel is planned to be an "extreme action game." And looking at the screenshots, it's beginning to look mostly all style and no substance.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Gone are the days of making a single, concentrated self contained Final Fantasy game. Square-Enix now want your money in every way they can possibly obtain it. They won't rest until they have you playing each fraction of the story on PS3, DVD, Mobile and Handheld. After that Enix merger, it's like they lost a part of their soul, and it's sad
Agreed to the millionth power. I too thought when the merger happened, the quality of games and how things are done declined, glad I'm not the only one.

I too liked the self contained stories that the FF series went by, but sometimes you just WANT to know what happens if a certain FF game leaves a cliff hanger. Like FF7 but thanks to advent children that should of been enough, but no now we get a shooter game starring Vincent, forgive me if I don't jump for joy.

Still to play devils advocate, sequels if done right even in the FF universe COULD be good, but FFX-2 kind of shot that little theory down. But I do think it's rather rushing things to already announce a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII when that game has just been announced. Definitely sounds like milking to me. Still we don't know how the story will turn out in FF XIII, maybe it leaves a cliffhanger that needs a sequel? You never know until they start releasing more info about it.

But even to me I find it odd that FFXIII has been announced when the 12th final fantasy ISN'T EVEN out yet (least here.) before you know it we could have yearly installments of FF, FF Gaiden, FF Gaiden: Special directors cut, FF Gaiden: Special Directors Cut Super Turbo Championship Edition of powuh +3, FF Gaiden: Special Directors Cut Super Turbo Championship Edition of powuh +3 extra costume edition MAX.

But then again, unless FF12 really sways me into the series again I probably won't play the newer ones. FF has gotten sort of stale to me since around 10, the only thing FF related I have enjoyed recently is Advent Children. Maybe if I play an FF game again I'll get into the series again. But overall I think Sqaurenix is doing too much in terms of FF, they should branch out and make a new RPG and wow everyone like the earlier FF's have done.

Last edited by Beretta55; May 9th, 2006 at 04:22 AM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
But even to me I find it odd that FFXIII has been announced when the 12th final fantasy ISN'T EVEN out yet
To be fair, Final Fantasy X through XII were announced at the same time back in the day... but then, we got the media consequitively, so we didn't know what FF11 looked like until after 10, and didn't know what 12 looked like until after 11.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

Qjij_jijQ is on a distinguished road
I thOUghT tHe TRaiLeR WAs aWEsomE ThoUGh...
Of coURSe iT diDN't fEEl LiKE An RPG gAMe.

... SUPerB grAPhiCs, aS aLWAys.
Qjij_jijQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
I knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Sakaguchi moving away from the Final Fantasy franchise to work on non-PlayStation projects, the Nomura taking creative control of the franchise, and Final Fantasy XII being for the series what the wonderful Final Fantasy IX was: an "alternative" Final Fantasy game, developed by a relatively unusual creative team to let the more "mainstream" team develop a new installment (and demos) for the next-generation console. While I understand Square Enix's need to invest in safe projects, I am really unimpressed by the announcements regarding these new Final Fantasy games; we will obviously cover these games in the new PsFantasy.com, but I would like to focus our efforts in supporting more creative and intriguing RPGs.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Square-Enix is moving in the direction of Electronic Arts really isn't it? No need to really ask why, given the sales figures EA achieves, but a part of me is saddened when you think of the art of games like FFVII and FFVI. Games that are more than games; creative masterpieces that trigger conversation and debate years down the line. Now to hear a company talk about a game more in terms of its market value as a franchise is a little sad, but such is the way of the world.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

... guess you guys will have no choice but to use your own imagination to come up with fun, imaginative, unique and interesting stories, instead of having compagnies like Square Enix feed them to you. It's a shame... really.

... come on now people.
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Nomura is really starting to piss me off! I'm tired of playing a parody of Final Fantasy games! And it's time for him to change his characters' haircuts, for Christ's sake!

Last edited by Hylas; May 14th, 2006 at 05:10 PM..
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #11
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qjij_jijQ
... guess you guys will have no choice but to use your own imagination to come up with fun, imaginative, unique and interesting stories, instead of having compagnies like Square Enix feed them to you. It's a shame... really.

... come on now people.
I'm happy to say that my imagination has fewer fathers who turn into whales whilst their sons turn out to be the dream of a long dead civilisation. It has less black and white villians heroes, and less tired hyperactive CG sequences too. And then there are other companies out there not flogging the same story dressed up in shorts that have legs of uneven size.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #12
Carlito
Puerto Rican Knight

Carlito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qjij_jijQ

... come on now people.
Come on what? The scope of this forum is exactly discussing Final Fantasy videogames. The problem is not with our imagination; as kupoartist said so well, we have plenty of that. That's exactly why, unlike others, we see the difference between a good game developed with creativity and another developed with just $$$ in mind.

Hylas: I also can't stand Nomura anymore. He could be a decent artist, but he cannot replace people like Sakaguchi because he simply doesn't have that kind of creativity. And in the end, he seems to lack artistic taste more often than not! How I'd love to see Amano doing the character design and working as an art supervisor. And, as Harry said, I am not surprised Sakaguchi isn't working anymore on the series like he did in the past.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #13
Zebraman

Zebraman is on a distinguished road
Sakaguchi escaped Square-Enix. So did Uematsu. Not everybody wants to work on the same stuff for all his life. The only thing I hope is his new games won't be a XBox/Microsoft exclusive. That would suck!
Zebraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #14
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

Quote:
I'm happy to say that my imagination has fewer fathers who turn into whales whilst their sons turn out to be the dream of a long dead civilisation. It has less black and white villians heroes, and less tired hyperactive CG sequences too. And then there are other companies out there not flogging the same story dressed up in shorts that have legs of uneven size.
... fewer than 1 then, which means 0?
The Final Fantasy series is changing and although it may not be for the best, the fact still remains that if Square Enix are doing what they're doing, it's because they know they're getting big money out of it... and who's giving them this money? Us. My post was a sarcastic approach to this very fact, meaning that if we're to get what we want, we might as well look elsewhere, because if we hang on to old dreams like these, it's not going to get any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito
Come on what? The scope of this forum is exactly discussing Final Fantasy videogames. The problem is not with our imagination; as kupoartist said so well, we have plenty of that. That's exactly why, unlike others, we see the difference between a good game developed with creativity and another developed with just $$$ in mind.
... my point exactly.
They develop it with money in mind and it's working... guess who's fault that is. My statement was directed toward the impression that all of this gives me. It becomes somewhat like a drug, where even though you know it's bad for you, you still take it... I see a lot of people complaining about the direction the Final Fantasy series is heading, but I'm sure that 95% of the people here are going to buy this stuff anyway.

... it's just a funny observation.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #15
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas
And it's time for him to change his characters' haircuts, for Christ's sake!

As for the multiple FFXIII's..they certainly had success milking FFVII.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #16
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
As for the multiple FFXIII's..they certainly had success milking FFVII.
They have? Sure they will eventually, but most of the FF7 stuff hasn't been released, and it's certainly financial over critical success so far. Advent Children sold well, but it has polarised opinion like nothing i've seen before. Besides, it's exactly this solely financial success that we're unhappy about. They're interested in milking the cash cow, not of giving us brilliant new chapters in the Final Fantasy name.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #17
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They have?.
yes.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote