Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:53 AM   #1
Zone

Zone is on a distinguished road
Resident Evil Dead Aim

Quote:
The long-suffering series known as Resident Evil Survivor has seemingly gone through the creative ringer and back -- and more than a few times. But the prolific and relentless development teams at Capcom Japan continue to hammer away in the attempt to get this series right, and perhaps this time they have. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

Resident Evil Dead Aim returns gamers to the horror-filled landscapes of Umbrella-bred fright, only this time it's with a new character by the name of Bruce MacGavin, AND you get to finally use the gamer-friendly GunCon 2. That's right, Capcom isn't holding back on this one.

Using a unique combination of a third-person perspectives camera for exploration and a first-person shooter angle for shooting, Resident Evil Dead Aim is a faster-paced shooter that takes place on a cruise ship that's been pirated deep at sea, and naturally it's crawling with T-virus infected creatures hungry for your flesh.

The entire game takes place on a cruise ship. Players must use ammunition economically even when they add the grenade launcher, assault rifle, particle rifle, handgun and shotgun to their inventories. They explore the whole of the ship, from the decks to the engine rooms, the cargo sections to the underwater test center as they battle hideously mutated creatures in their battle for live and the hope of escape.

Resident Evil Dead Aim is the fourth in the RE Survivor series (notice how it doesn't have the word Survivor it it?), and this one already looks visually polished, quick-moving, responsive at the controls, and markedly better than any games in the series thus far.

While it would be untrue to say that we can't wait for this one, it's is fair to say that we are curious to play it and give the series another chance. Heck, it's a perfect excuse to dust off that lovely orange light-gun, ain't it? Resident Evil Dead Aim is scheduled to ship in June 2003.
Source: IGN

Here are some pics.
https://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/re...m_011503_9.jpg
https://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/re...m_011503_7.jpg
https://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/re...m_011503_4.jpg
https://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/re..._011503_14.jpg
https://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/re..._011503_13.jpg

Survivor wasn't that bad.

So what do you think? Has Capcom got it down right this time?

I need the rush
There's nowhere you can hide before you die
Why won't you face me?
I can see the fear that's in your eyes
Where will you run?
Where will you hide?
I see the blood drip from your eyes
Who will survive?
Let's get it on and we will fight!
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:24 AM   #2
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
now that u can use the gun, the game might be aight
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #3
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
RE survivor was a terrible letdown, lets just hope this one is not.
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
capcom should stay away from these damn arcade shooter's IMO. but it might be good.
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #5
tha16thletter
Chokyonim

tha16thletter is on a distinguished road
looks a hell of a lot better, I like the implimentation of both 3rd person and 1st person.... doesnt necessarily mean I'll go get it any time soon but they r on the right track for once atleast :-p
[]D
tha16thletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:31 AM   #6
Zone

Quote:
Gun games are typically all very similar, with the most prominent differences being the graphics, and/or a small innovation or two, such as the pedal found in Namco's Time Crisis series. The Resident Evil Survivor game was just another one of these gun games, and it never seemed to capture the spirit and horror of the other Resident Evil games. Well, Capcom must've realized this (it was pretty obvious, wasn't it?) because their latest game, Resident Evil: Dead Aim is a far cry from the previous games in the Survivor series.
The most apparent difference between Dead Aim and other Survivor games is that Dead Aim is not strictly a first-person gun game. In fact, the game plays a lot like the games in the regular Resident Evil series. You'll explore rooms, search for keys, and pick up green herbs -- all from a third-person perspective. Yes, that's right: a third-person perspective.

Controlling your character in the third-person mode is far from a complicated affair. You can use the analog stick or d-pad to move your character forward, and to a degree, left and right. If you press too close to the absolute right or left direction, the stick (or pad) will then rotate the camera in the given direction. Holding back causes your character move backwards, and, by default, holding the L2 (or X) button and moving your character will allow him to strafe and sneak in any direction. The L1 button is used for strictly sneaking. This may sound a little awkward, but the system actually works pretty well.

Now this wouldn't be a Resident Evil game if there wasn't some shooting, and Dead Aim doesn't disappoint. But this is also where Dead Aim goes back to its Survivor roots and becomes a first-person shooter. The way it works is when you come across, say, a zombie you want to kill, you press a button to switch into first-person mode. After killing the zombie, you zoom the camera back out to the third-person perspective and continue exploring the level. Interesting, isn't it?

One of the big complaints about the Resident Evil Survivor was that there was no gun included with the US version of the game. While we don't know if there will be a gun included with Dead Aim, the game does feature support for Namco's excellent GunCon 2 controller. How is it? Well, let's just say that you've never played Resident Evil until you've played it using only one hand.

While we're on the subject of controls, it's worth mentioning that the game controls well with both the standard Dual Shock controller, and the GunCon. Each method is as functional as the other, so it really comes down your personal preference. Do you want to use a light gun or a controller? Actually, you could even play the game with both, using the controller to move your character around and then using the gun to shoot enemies and interact with objects. It looks funny but actually works better than you'd expect.

Unlike other light gun games, in Dead Aim, you also have an inventory screen where you can switch weapons, use items, and look at files. The inventory screen is almost identical to the ones found in other Resident Evil games, though it is simplified a bit; you don't have as many slots for items and/or weapons. And because this is ultimately a shooting game and not an adventure game, any items you pick up will not be put in your inventory screen and will automatically be used when you interact with the appropriate object.

The funny thing about Resident Evil: Dead Aim is that it actually plays a lot better than just about any other Resident Evil game, Survivor series or not. The stiff controls of the regular series are replaced with a much more intuitive and flowing control scheme that does have its faults, but is still infinitely easier to use anyways. Also, the difficult aiming from the adventure Resident Evil games is replaced by the first person shooting mode, which makes shooting enemies much more accurate. Who would've thought that the next game in the Survivor series would play so well, and in some cases, surpassing the original series in terms of playability?

Visually, Resident Evil: Dead Aim is looking pretty sharp. All the characters and environments are rendered in real-time, and overall, things look great, although a bit simple when compared to other Resident Evil games. Also, the framerate stays at an almost constant 60 fps, and the lighting effects are effectively moody.

With Resident Evil: Dead Aim, Capcom has taken a struggling series and done something very few companies ever do: innovate. The meld of the two control systems works well, and may be just what the Survivor series needs to make it standout in an overcrowded game market. But will Dead Aim provide us with the same shocks and scares that previous Resident Evil games have always served up?

Dead Aim might actually be good. I'll probably end up buying it.

I need the rush
Why won't you face me?
Where will you run?
Where will you hide?
Who will survive?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #7
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Zone

Dead Aim might actually be good. I'll probably end up buying it.

Lets just wait and see, its just might be a rent with me.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #8
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
I would be buy it no matter what...... I am a sucker for Resident Evil games......
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #9
synicalgohan91
Dunpeal

synicalgohan91 is on a distinguished road
resident evil

resident evil games should not be a first person shooter. it should stay they way it was.

Evil events from evil causes spring

- Aristophanes -
synicalgohan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:58 PM   #10
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
Re: resident evil

Quote:
Originally posted by synicalgohan91

resident evil games should not be a first person shooter. it should stay they way it was.
yeah, survivor was one of the worst game i ever played
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:10 AM   #11
SplinterJD

SplinterJD is on a distinguished road
I think it looks pretty good, the defing factor will be if it can keep the Resident Evil atmosphere that we all enjoy so much with RE games. If it is more action orientated then I just hope it is like the movie in a way coz i rented that on DVD and enjoyed heaps heaps.
SplinterJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #12
REChick14
Ex-S.T.A.R.S Officer

REChick14 is on a distinguished road
RE Dead Aim

I love the RE series hence the name REChick14. I also hope this game isnt like gun survivor. That game was a pure letdown for me. The gameplay was too short and the graphics were horrible. PLease just please let RE Dead Aim be much better!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #13
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
I know I would buy this game...and I just bought the game two days ago. And I also got the Bundle pack that comes with GunCon2. This is what I think about it....

Graphics: 8.5 (Pretty good, and very good atmosphere in the game, but just could have been better. Well it IS on Playstation2, so that explains it. Its just after playing RE1 and RE0 on GameCube..its feels tad)

GamePlay: 8.5 (Now this number can change if you are playing with a Dual Shock and not with the gun. I guess the reason I am giving it a high gameplay score is because its the first Playstation2 GunCon game I am playing and its really excites me. There are soo many shocking moments in the game, because of the firstperson mode. The bad side, you cannot move in the FirstPersonMode, which makes it hard to kill the zombies, especially if they are running towards you, but at the same times makes the game more thrilling)

Sound: 7 (The zombies voices are scary, but music isn't that great, I mean RE2 music and RE0 music was just amazing, this game doesn't give that much of an impact on that.)

Presentation: 6 (Its not the top notch Resident Evil style. I mean the way RE games usually are. The opening video was boring, and even on some of the cutscenes, you can hardly follow the story, and there aren't that many good cinematics. FMVs are pretty good though.)

Overall: 7.5 (Its a great game for me, but I am HUGE RE fan...and I enjoy playing this game, although at times it gives me 3D sickness, but if you are not into RE games....be a little carefull. Rent it, or borrow it from a friend who has GunCon2, to actually "enjoy" the full potential of the game).
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #14
omni vengeance
The No-Life King

omni vengeance is on a distinguished road
Simple response...Survivor was gay, and Dead Aim looks gay.

Thanks Eli for the sig and av ^_^
omni vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:31 AM   #15
Zone

I'll just copy a post I made in another forum...

Yes, I got this game and I've beaten it. It's a great addition to the RE franchise. I've looked at some reviews and I can easily say that Dead Aim is underrated. I have enough to say about this game that I could write a full-length review, but since I'm lazy I'll just briefly run through the pros and cons.

Pros
- Nice, sharp graphics
- Good controls (A little tough to aim from a distance with the analog stick. Yet to try with a Guncon)
- Good story (of course)
- Nice SFX (especially the zombies)
- HEAD SHOTS! (looks freakin' awesome)
- Surprisingly smart enemy A.I.

Cons
- Way too short (I beat it under two hours, but it was on easy)
- Easy difficulty is a little too easy
- Voice acting isn't bad but isn't great. Plus, it's a bit tough to hear (like there's a bad echo)

Quote:
Originally posted by omni vengeance
...and Dead Aim looks gay.
I could easily say the same about you, but then again I don't really know you, do I?

I need the rush
Why won't you face me?
Where will you run?
Where will you hide?
Who will survive?