Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old May 27th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #1
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
Other Consoles Forum

I'd just like to ask you to reconsider opening up the Other Consoles Forum. The fact is, if people don't like what's being said in the forum, they don't have to go into it. And everything isn't bad... look at the Project Ego thread, all positive. I wanted to talk about Eternal Darkness for GC... but now I have nowhere to post it. In my opinion, Other Consoles was one of the best forums. I know you've been getting a lot of complaints about people being ignorant dicks in there... but like I said, why can't they just ignore it if they don't like it?

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry that this decision affects some members as you, who always acted in a correct and mature way. But if I re-open the forum, I'd have to bad 5 or 6 members (not telling here the names, also because they are mambers I used to consider mature enough to start a peaceful discussion) because of their really stupid and childish way of acting, or they would go on with "This thing sucks" posts and so on. I'm tired of receiving requests to ban people from other members who acted in a bad way as the ones they want to be banned.
Console wars are so pointless, and the worst thing is that they're not understanding the reason we opened that forum was to make "clever" comparisons regarding consoles and games of the various consoles, not to read everyday stuff like "you're an idiot because you buy this console instead of the other one".

The only thing I can suggest, is to post stuff regarding games like GC ones in other forums like Action/Adventure, RPG and so on.
At least in those places there won't be the opportunity to start new consoles wars
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 01:17 PM   #3
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I'm sad to see the demise of the Other Consoles forum - granted there was some really immature posts in there - but some threads contained some really well written, and infomative, posts.

Console wars are inevitible sadly. I really don't care if some prefers X over Y, just as long as they explain and put some care and thought into their posts.

Sadly this wasn't happening.

Personally, I feel this action is somewhat drastic - it's feels like a case of punishing the masses for a slightly immature minority.

I do hope at some point in the near future, the decision to close the Other Consoles forum will be reversed. While I understand the reasons for it's closure, it was also probably my favourite part of the forums and thus it will be missed by myself.

Ah well, thanks for opening it anyway.

- S
Old May 27th, 2002, 01:56 PM   #4
hotshot657

Im very disappointed that the forum had to be closed. So many ppl were behaving immaturely. There were ppl insulting other members, posting pointless things like "xbox sucks," and ppl rebelling against certain members with different opinions then them. Too bad...
Old May 27th, 2002, 02:02 PM   #5
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
yeah hotshot, and you in no way contributed to that.
It would've been cool if the Xbox trollers put up some reviews for their games instead of instigating flamewars.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 02:06 PM   #6
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Please, don't start accusing others in this thread. It won't make the situation better.
Old May 27th, 2002, 02:09 PM   #7
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
https://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/...behindsofa.gif
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 02:10 PM   #8
Esjay
::Viewtiful::

Esjay is on a distinguished road
I see...

I can't say that I'm happy about the fact that a forum had to be closed....but if people were starting console wars and behaving immaturely and making the forum look bad, then perhaps it was for the better
Esjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 02:16 PM   #9
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

But Fortune, Kabuki is right, he's being hypocritical
Come on, closing that forum was very unfair to other members.
I know that you're doing it to prevent more unwanted events, but still.
Some of us actually use that forum for what is it supposed to be used. However, there are some that act childish and do nothing more than flame one another.
Efforts to stop that have been made. For example SSSnake's -Respect Other's Opinion- thread.
Like Merc said, if they don't like what is being said, then they shouldn't go in there. On top of that, however, there should be no need for people to be hostile to one another.
Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion, but that doesn't mean they have the right to bash another member just becuae they disagree.
What I'm trying to say is that it's unfair.
Just because some people didn't know how to act,
others that did ended up having to pay for their mistakes too.
That makes me mad
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #10
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
I know members would like to have the forum back, but that might not happen. It'd be stupid to just ban every member who fought in that forum. It's easier to just close the forum and end it from happening. Threads can still be made to talk about whatever.
Old May 27th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #11
The Skum
The Model ™

The Skum is on a distinguished road
Well

i still see that forum open!
Old May 27th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #12
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
Maybe you guys could just make a forum about games that aren't on ps2? I think that'd be cool... Or maybe just close the other consoles forum for a while and let everyone cool down?

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 04:52 PM   #13
FuNkY mOnK

I for one totally disagree with this; do you realize you just took away what America stands for? And that’s freedom of speech, I don’t care what we talk about, no one has the right to shut down anything without a vote, what good is having a voice if you cant speak, by doing this only shows insecurity and close mindedness. If morons like the kkk, skinheads, and the likes can advocate their believes and we as gamers have less rights, Something is wrong here, or better yet you have nuts like Louis Farrakhan advocating kill whitey while being protected with tax dollars. I admit I’m arrogant but I do respect where respect is due. And when these nuts contribute to a billion dollar industry in the name of good like us gamers I wont feel that an unjust was done. So reconsider I have more juicy stuff from xbox.
Old May 27th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #14
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Funky Monk, it's better for you to shut up, because you're one of the persons who caused the forum to be closed
You're free to talk, not free to offend others. And if it sounds so stupid, you better use your freedom to leave this forum.
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:01 PM   #15
hotshot657

I think the mods are saying that the Other Consoles forum was specifically for talking nicely about other consoles, and not console debating. It is obvious that they dont like the name calling and bashing of members. I think that the Other Consoles forum should be opened up for Console Debating because who actually comes to a PS2 site to learn good things about the Xbox and Gamecube??? There may have been bashing and name calling, but ppl can stand up for themselves. Yeah, and ppl say stupid things, but i ignore them. I would like to be assured of what the best console is, and a forum is needed for that, so that i can talk it out w/ other ppl.
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:06 PM   #16
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
I'd like to comment about what Funky Monk said.

Quote:
no one has the right to shut down anything without a vote
If Fortune had wanted to make it a vote, she would have. She would have asked the staff to vote on it and we would make our votes. Of course, being an administrator, she has the power to do things without permission.

Even if there was a vote, i'm sure that most of the staff would have agreed with Fortune. She made the decision that I feel should have been made a while ago.

I may be overstepping my bounds, but i think a lot of you need to have a little empathy for her. Try looking through her PoV instead of your own and I think you'll see why.
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #17
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
"PFFT!"

Funky.. quiet down, man. If you would have just provided actual information as a standard instead of flames, this wouldn't have happened. Comparing Fortune to the freaking KKK and all that other crap is stupid. *hides behind a couch like Kabuki... then blinks and gets out again*

But Fortune, this is a case of using a broadsword to do the work of a scalpel. I'm assuming that I'm part of the aforementioned 5 or 6 that would have to be banned in order to reopen the forum, but still, it's punishing EVERYONE when it clearly wasn't the fault of a majority, but a vocal minority. The "Console Wars" might be stupid and pointless, but the fact is that they exist, nobody can help that. Especially by just outright censoring them. It's like bars on windows or regular locks on doors, it keeps honest people honest, but the ones who cause the trouble will find another way to do so. Posting the kind of "Xbox bites!" or "PS2 is ancient, why do you still play it?!" threads in General Chat and gaming forums instead of relegating them to a single forum where they could be segregated.

I can very much understand the stress all of the "requests for banning" you recieved must have caused, but the fact is you did not make any sort of public opinion or warning about it.. it was just Sssnake and a couple of others struggling against a solid wall of flaming messages from two (in some cases three) agitators. The request to ban Funky I sent you was met with a polite kind of benign acknowledgement on your part, with no indication even there that you were "annoyed" by the request. Snapping like this and just closing the freaking forum is just a drastic overreaction. Even when this was happening the situation, as I saw it, was "kinda" starting to turn around. The Project Ego thread being a key point here, nothing but glowing reactions about a game from the Xbox, which is what that forum is supposed to be about. Even in Funky's reply he proved somewhat counter-character and just provided a link to some images and more information about the game (which is good), but he also made some comment like "Ooh, Xbox will rool you now! Muaha!" (which is bad, and what people were reacting negatively to).

Open the forum back up, and take the measures necessary, Fortune. Criminey. It wasn't the whole forum who was acting "naughty", so it shouldn't be the whole forum that's closed down. *shrugs* When it opens back up I just won't be posting in it, so there's part of the problem gone right there. Just quit using the broadsword and break out the scalpel.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:11 PM   #18
FuNkY mOnK

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune
Funky Monk, it's better for you to shut up, because you're one of the persons who caused the forum to be closed
You're free to talk, not free to offend others. And if it sounds so stupid, you better use your freedom to leave this forum.
I offend? Who have I offended? Is it my fault that someone gets caught in the crossfire where they shouldn’t be without proper training? These are other consoles forums no matter what you do, the FuNkY mOnK and BlackThornn franchise are too big for you to just ignore or ban. These are the places where the proud put up or shut up and it’s these controversial interest that keep things interesting. Bashing and flaming is not what I do or look for, comparing the differences and defending is my cup of tea.
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #19
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

Quote:
Originally posted by Mourdor

I may be overstepping my bounds, but i think a lot of you need to have a little empathy for her. Try looking through her PoV instead of your own and I think you'll see why.
Good point, empathy for Fortune is due, but also a little empathy from her toward us is. We aren't exactly customers to this site, and not part of the "enlightened" admin, we're just run of the mill forumgoers that were being subjected to a whole lot of crap in Other Consoles. Not all of us are the kind of angelic open-minded "Everyone just make peace" personalities like Fortune and Harry are, we're opinionated. Putting everyone into two general categories of either freaking buhddist (spelling?) forum monk or immature fool is just....... well, it's just something I'm not going to say on this forum. It'd be all asterisks.

The Matrix has you.
Old May 27th, 2002, 05:14 PM   #20
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

Quote:
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

I offend? Who have I offended? Is it my fault that someone gets caught in the crossfire where they shouldn’t be without proper training? These are other consoles forums no matter what you do, the FuNkY mOnK and BlackThornn franchise are too big for you to just ignore or ban. These are the places where the proud put up or shut up and it’s these controversial interest that keep things interesting. Bashing and flaming is not what I do or look for, comparing the differences and defending is my cup of tea.
..I'm a franchise..? Wtf? I already said I'm done with this arguing.

Hmm.. put this into terms you'd get.. You win. Xbox rules, PS2 sucks, whatever. I am SICK of needing to defend my opinions to the likes of you, so just assume your opinion is better and go away.

The Matrix has you.