Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #1
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Upcoming Final Fantasy: The full list

Just thought I'd highlight just how many projects Square are putting out with the Final Fantasy name right now:

Final Fantasy 1 [Mobile] (Remake, graphics between NES and PS1 versions)
Final Fantasy 3 [Nintendo DS]
Final Fantasy 5 Advance [Gameboy Advance] (Improved GFX, extras)
Final Fantasy 6 Advance [Gameboy Advance] (Improved GFX, extras)
Final Fantasy 7: Before Crisis [Mobile] (FF7 Prequel with the Turks)
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core [Playstation Portable] (FF7 Prequel with Zack)
Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus [Playstation 2] (FF7 Sequel w/ Vincent. Already released in Japan)
Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode [Mobile] (3D game accompanying PS2 release)
Final Fantasy 11: Treasures of Aht Urhgan [PS2 / PC / 360] (Expansion)
Final Fantasy 12 [Playstation 2] (Already out in Japan)
Final Fantasy 13 [Playstation 3] (The main game)
Final Fantasy Versus 13 [Playstation 3] (Some sort of inversion of the main game)
Final Fantasy Agito 13 [Mobile] (No real details, but related to the other two)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers [Nintendo Wii] (uses motion sensor)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates [Nintendo DS] (WiFi features)

15 titles in all, which is either good or bad. From the sounds of it, many of our forum regulars are on the side of this being a bad thing, of Square selling out. Nontheless, I am confident that Square is releasing so much stuff that there's bound to be at least one title you're hankering after.

From my own personal view? There are 13 titles on that list that I could not care less about. Then there is Final Fantasy 12, and Final Fantasy 3. 12 has been hitting to rave reviews, and has a dev team behind it that fills me with excitement. Final Fantasy 3 is my new god.

Imagine the only old-school FF you have never played: right, that's good huh? Right. Imagine now that, unlike the other gazillion versions of oldschool FF games, Square-Enix are actually trying with this one. No: I don't mean that it has gone from looking like a NES game into looking like a SNES game. I mean that they've gone and made it look like a PS One game. Now, it doesn't stop there! They've gone and made each character unique and given them their own backstory, and the FFIII story was allegedly the very first FF story that was actually fleshed out quite a bit... and then the game has classes and you see them onscreen too! Yay! I want this game and I don't own a DS, and I don't see that as an issue in the least! Yay! The touchscreen will even be used in the menus and stuff

Here are some cool scans from out in the netherworld (sorry ffonline )

https://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9...f3f911a0zz.jpg
https://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9...f3f911b4bo.jpg
https://img506.imageshack.us/img506/7...f3f911c2xt.jpg
https://img506.imageshack.us/img506/8...f3f911d0lq.jpg
https://img421.imageshack.us/img421/3...f3f911e0eg.jpg
https://img421.imageshack.us/img421/1...f3f911f7ei.jpg

Only criticisms I have are pretty small, but they've apparently done away with the onion knight class, and the "blue" character used to be black as opposed to female... and for that matter, why does the girl / guy ratio always have to be 3:1. Grrr!!!!!!!

Oh, and if there was any kind of FF Tactics game in development, I'd moan even less. (Tactics DS please!)

Last edited by kupoartist; May 17th, 2006 at 06:11 PM..
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Final Fantasy XII must be good, I have great expectations about it - even though Matsuno couldn't work on the project as much as he wanted, his games have always been amazing. There are a lot of changes to the classic Final Fantasy formula being introduced in this game (it seems this game wasn't even supposed to be a Final Fantasy game in the first place), so I can't wait to play it myself. As I said in another post, Final Fantasy XII is a sort of alternative Final Fantasy game, like Final Fantasy IX was; it seems like Square Enix likes to risk a bit more before the launch of a new console, also because their "main" team is busy at work on the new platform, which is always a lengthy process. The team working on this game is made of some of the most advanced artists at Square Enix. Same thing I can say about Final Fantasy III: it seems simply awesome!

I am really happy that Nomura has little to do with both projects; both games, so different from other Final Fantasy games in your list, share also the same great character designer, Akihiko Yoshida. Art direction is also fundamental - the art director behind Final Fantasy III is the same of Final Fantasy XI (and it shows also from the beautiful, cute screenshots), while the art director of Final Fantasy XII is the same of Final Fantasy IX!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3
TtTackler
¤Web-Head¤

TtTackler is on a distinguished road
You would think that the development would be spread a bit thin between the 15 projects, limiting the chance of the games reaching their full potential. And 4 titles based upon FF7 alone is a bit overdoing it. Can I finally get my new Chrono game, please?
TtTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Aubrey McFatum

Aubrey McFatum is on a distinguished road
The DS game looks great to me.

Do you believe in God?
The question is does God believe in me?

Aubrey McFatum
Aubrey McFatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
What about the new Chrystal Chronicles games? I haven't played the previous FFCC, but it looked so-so. Are these going to be any better?
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtTackler
You would think that the development would be spread a bit thin between the 15 projects, limiting the chance of the games reaching their full potential. And 4 titles based upon FF7 alone is a bit overdoing it. Can I finally get my new Chrono game, please?
Well, a lot of the remakes probably require very small teams, and I suspect the mobile games do as well. On top of this, Square Enix is a an Extremely big games development company. Their Wikipedia entry suggests that they have 2,706 employees. By contrast, a company like Epic Games, simultaneously making their cutting edge Unreal Engine, Unreal Tournament 2007 and Gears of War has only 60 employees (Others are pretty small too: ID Software have 26, Valve have 70+). I'd say Square has enough people to make that many games, but one wonders if there is an issue of their most talented been stretched over too many projects... also, and perhaps more importantly, there is the issue of whether as an international company they're going to be able to localise all of these games efficiently. Whilst it's pretty certain they won't bother with the mobile games, even the console titles will potentially stretch their resources. If we get all those games, it would not surprise me to see many european localisations skipped over a'la the remakes released on PS-One.

By the way, they are working on perhaps 12 projects more, though the majority are mobile titles:

3D Space Invaders [Mobile]
Brave Shot 2 [Mobile]
Chase HQ 3D [Mobile]
Children of Mana [DS]
Dawn of Mana [PS2]
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime [DS]
Elevator Action 3D [Mobile]
Megatouch: Mobile Arcade [Mobile]
Seiken Densetsu (a.k.a. Sword of Mana / FF Adventure) [Mobile]
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth [PSP]
Valkyrie Profile 2 [PS2]
ポケメ~ト (Some kind of pokemon tie in game/utility of all things) [Mobile]