Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #1
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Car Insurance

I just finally got my lisence a few days ago. So now im calling a few insurance places to see how much our rate will go up after adding me as a casual driver of my mothers vehicle. I figured it would shoot up a little. But holy fu*ing shit !. They want us to pay over 1,745.00 dollars over six months. They said monthy it was like 247.00 or something to that effect. I called Progressive and it was about the same (Were using AAA at the moment). It sickens me that these insurance companies are allowed to charge OBSCENE amounts for insurance when its a LAW that we have to have it to drive.

I mean, dont they realize that there are people in the world who arent making all that much money . How do they expect working class americans to get around and make money when they cant afford to pay for car insurance. Its rediculous. My mothers car payment is 365.00 a month. So hell..it wouldnt take long before she payed more for here freakin insurance than for her car after its paid off next year.

And imagine if she had a junky car that she paid a thousand bucks for total. Then the insurance would be far more expensive than the vehicle itself. Its a travisty if you ask me. Insurance companies have a monopoly, and the governemt, instead of helping by mandating price decreses, makes it a law that we HAVE to have this rediculously priced insurance. Just another one of those insane things that happens here in the good ol United States (Kind of like making Maruajana illegal when its not even addictive and legalizing Niccotine which is)

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #2
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

XXAVIERR is on a distinguished road
Another topic on auto insurance(as far as it being a rip off) is that most of us paying all this money every year for the policy, will never even file a claim on it. I know my insurance is by no means cheap and with you being a first time driver, as you stated, it's even worse for you. All this money that is being paid into these companies, mandatory by law, is just in case someone gets into a wreck or someone wrecks into your car. In my opinion, insurance companies should at least offer some kind of rebate at the end of the year if you haven't had any accidents or tickets. Like that will ever happen.

Conformity is a weak minded man's way of thinking.
XXAVIERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Rev0lution
Rev0lution Starter

Rev0lution is on a distinguished road
Re: Car Insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

I just finally got my lisence a few days ago. So now im calling a few insurance places to see how much our rate will go up after adding me as a casual driver of my mothers vehicle. I figured it would shoot up a little. But holy fu*ing shit !. They want us to pay over 1,745.00 dollars over six months. They said monthy it was like 247.00 or something to that effect. I called Progressive and it was about the same (Were using AAA at the moment). It sickens me that these insurance companies are allowed to charge OBSCENE amounts for insurance when its a LAW that we have to have it to drive.

I mean, dont they realize that there are people in the world who arent making all that much money . How do they expect working class americans to get around and make money when they cant afford to pay for car insurance. Its rediculous. My mothers car payment is 365.00 a month. So hell..it wouldnt take long before she payed more for here freakin insurance than for her car after its paid off next year.

And imagine if she had a junky car that she paid a thousand bucks for total. Then the insurance would be far more expensive than the vehicle itself. Its a travisty if you ask me. Insurance companies have a monopoly, and the governemt, instead of helping by mandating price decreses, makes it a law that we HAVE to have this rediculously priced insurance. Just another one of those insane things that happens here in the good ol United States (Kind of like making Maruajana illegal when its not even addictive and legalizing Niccotine which is)
LMFAO well thats the real world welcome and get used to it and it will get better like most of the companies if your car has air bags or you do good in school it lowers the cost of your insurance and the longer you drive without getting a ticket or getting into an a crash your insurance will drop.
Rev0lution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
LMFAO well thats the real world welcome and get used to it and it will get better like most of the companies if your car has air bags or you do good in school it lowers the cost of your insurance and the longer you drive without getting a ticket or getting into an a crash your insurance will drop.
Real world or not. It isnt right that it costs soooo much more for insurance that your never going to see any returns on than it does to purchase the car itself. You can spout all the cliche real world phrases you want, it doesent change the fact that it makes absolutely no sence

But I may have a way out. My father owns and operates his own businus that I work for now and then. Im pretty sure he gets special insurance to put on work vehicles or something like that. So hopefully I can obtain a vehicle and get insured on that. But we will see. The real world sucks

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #5
Rev0lution
Rev0lution Starter

Quote:

Real world or not. It isnt right that it costs soooo much more for insurance that your never going to see any returns on than it does to purchase the car itself. You can spout all the cliche real world phrases you want, it doesent change the fact that it makes absolutely no sence
It makes no sense? It will make plenty of sense if you get into a car accident and instead of you paying thousands of dollars out of your pocket your insurance picks it up or if your in a chain car accident you would be at fault for hitting the car infront of you even though you only hit it because of the vehical behind you. Trust me insurance is always a good thing to have.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #6
Rev0lution
Rev0lution Starter

sorry for double posting but fill us in so i might understand better

what kind of car
color
year
make
etc
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:51 PM   #7
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
It makes every bit of sense that insurance rates are that high for everyone. Especially for people between the age of 18-25. Automobile accidents is one of (if not the) leading causes of death in the US. 85% of all automobile accidents are because of Driver Failure. When you get behind the wheel of a car you are in control of a weapon. So to complain that insurance rates are that high is absurd. You can always car pool or take the bus or walk to wherever you need to go.

And the reason insurance is so high for you is because you didn't take Drivers Ed. That makes rates at least $100 more expensive.

But yeah $290.00 a month sucks when you probably wont need it. Though it does come in handy because you never know what will happen. You can always drive uninsured if you think your good enough

Note: If you want to look up the stats go ahead. I just got done with Drivers Ed so unless the government is wrong I doubt I am.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #8
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
I was also really pissed off when I realized I had to pay such an absurd amount of moeny for insurance. My car currently costs me $580 a month (not including gas, or maintenance) $300 monthly payments, and $280 for insurance.

On top of that, I just got a speeding ticket... going 88 MPH in a 65MPH speed limit.

So now what I'm gonna do is take a DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSE and doing so, in my case, will keep my record clean.

I suggest you do the same thing, Vicious, not because of speeding tickets, but because it will lower your payments on insurance. And as far as I know Defensive Driving courses are not expensive at all, they cost around 30 bucks and only take 8 hours to complete.

It's a relief to know that as soon as I begin my service with the ARMY I'll be only paying around $150 on the damned insurance

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #9
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
what kind of car
Its a grey 2000 Dodge Status SE. 4 door sedan

Quote:
It makes every bit of sense that insurance rates are that high for everyone
Ummmm....no. Maybe to you sence your family has plenty of money and someones giving you a car. I dont have that luxury. And im sorry, but you shouldnt have to pay 10x more for car insurance than you do for the car itself. I know its imoprtant that you have it. Im just saying its WAAAAAAAY too expensive.

Quote:
85% of all automobile accidents are because of Driver Failure. When you get behind the wheel of a car you are in control of a weapon
So paying threw the ass for insurance thats too high is going to prevent that ?

Quote:
It will make plenty of sense if you get into a car accident and instead of you paying thousands of dollars out of your pocket your insurance picks it up or if your in a chain car accident you would be at fault for hitting the car infront of you even though you only hit it because of the vehical behind you
It makes sence to have to have insurance. Im saying it doeesent makes sence for them to charge soo much. The fact is most people never get in a major accident that racks up a bil of over 2,000 dollars, yet. Everyone who pays for insurance will end up paying out far, far more than 2,000 dollars over the years and years they pay it. Which means these insurnec ecompanies are profiting tens of millions every year

Quote:
I suggest you do the same thing, Vicious, not because of speeding tickets, but because it will lower your payments on insurance. And as far as I know Defensive Driving courses are not expensive at all, they cost around 30 bucks and only take 8 hours to complete.
Do you know how much of a decrease it would be ?

Quote:
I just got done with Drivers Ed so unless the government is wrong I doubt I am.
The governement is wrong about alot of things

Quote:
You can always car pool or take the bus or walk to wherever you need to go.
I can carpool ?. Not everyone can carpool. I certainly cant. And the bus doesent go everywhere. And walk ? Are you serious ?. "Sorry I was late boss..it took me 8 hours to walk here because I cant afford my redicoulously priced car insurence". That will go over well

Ill be able to afford it myself when I get working regularly, but still...it aint right. Something should change. But never will. because so many people are content with being ripped off (Sadly)

And finally. I think alot of you arent looking at this through my eyes here. Just as the governement never sees things through the eyes of the less fortunout*(However you spell that) .I have lived with a my mother whos been single sence I was born. Shes got a hearing impairment and can barely hear anything. That alone keeps her form getting many good paying jobs. She gets government assistance, and Dissability. But they barely give enough to live on. She also works cleaning houses here and there. So sure insurence isnt a problem when youve got a good paying job or parents who have plenty of money. But there are millions of americans who arent so lucky. There the ones getting the raw end of the stick with this overpriced car insurence.

Thanks for the input though

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #10
neomarik
Dark Angel Knight

neomarik is on a distinguished road
yeah, now i have to go through all that insurance mumbojumbo.

The time for redemption will come, and all shall be condemed forever into darkness.
neomarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 11:08 PM   #11
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can carpool ?. Not everyone can carpool. I certainly cant. And the bus doesent go everywhere. And walk ? Are you serious ?. "Sorry I was late boss..it took me 8 hours to walk here because I cant afford my redicoulously priced car insurence". That will go over well
Do you not work for your father? Are you telling me you can't live with him and ride to work with him everyday?

Quote:
Ummmm....no. Maybe to you sence your family has plenty of money and someones giving you a car. I dont have that luxury. And im sorry, but you shouldnt have to pay 10x more for car insurance than you do for the car itself. I know its imoprtant that you have it. Im just saying its WAAAAAAAY too expensive.
No that has nothing to do with it. As I stated before, car insurance should cost a lot because of how many car accidents there are every year. And also the fact that it's a weapon that kills more people a year then guns and knives.

Quote:
So paying threw the ass for insurance thats too high is going to prevent that ?
Yes it does. It keeps some idiotic drivers off the road because they can't afford car insurance and don't want to risk driving with out it. And most people don't pay over $150 let alone over $200 for car insurance every month.

Quote:
It makes sence to have to have insurance. Im saying it doeesent makes sence for them to charge soo much. The fact is most people never get in a major accident that racks up a bil of over 2,000 dollars, yet. Everyone who pays for insurance will end up paying out far, far more than 2,000 dollars over the years and years they pay it. Which means these insurnec ecompanies are profiting tens of millions every year
Hmmmm a company making a profit is a bad thing? Insurance companies do make a lot of money but if you want to complain about then complain about the law that makes it required.

Quote:
And finally. I think alot of you arent looking at this through my eyes here. Just as the governement never sees things through the eyes of the less fortunout*(However you spell that) .I have lived with a my mother whos been single sence I was born. Shes got a hearing impairment and can barely hear anything. That alone keeps her form getting many good paying jobs. She gets government assistance, and Dissability. But they barely give enough to live on. She also works cleaning houses here and there. So sure insurence isnt a problem when youve got a good paying job or parents who have plenty of money. But there are millions of americans who arent so lucky. There the ones getting the raw end of the stick with this overpriced car insurence.
Why should any one shed a tear for you? How long have you had job? If you were really bad off you wouldn't own any game system or a computer. If you were really bad off you would have been working to help pay bills. But no that's not the case. Don't get me wrong, you aren't exactly well off, but it's not as bad as you make it seem. Don't complain about the government not seeing things through the eyes of the less fortunate. You do know that most government officials are elected by people that have to pay car insurance?

Plus the car your going to drive is a lot better then my car.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #12
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Yeah, but id rather own a not so great car than have to share a good one

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #13
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Do you know how much of a decrease it would be ?
I think that depends on the insurance company you have, but I believe it is a standard of 15% discount. It does not sound like a lot (compared to the 40% discount I'll get for being in the ARMY) but do the math and you'll see it saves you some money in the long run, considering that you have to pay no more than 30 dollars for the course (tomorrow or the day after I'm gonna go to one class that's gonna charge me only 25 bucks)

Also, I believe you can do this every 6 months for a cummulative effect.

By the way, Preventer, I don't want to sound mean, but you're talking shit.

Raising the insurance premiums doesn't have to do shit wether car accidents happen or not. Insurance companies move in a business very similar to gambling. They bet that you will have an accident, you bet that you will not. So yeah, the higher the risk a person will have a car accident, the higher the rates will be. Why? because they CAN'T lose money out of this business. Have you forgotten about the deductibles they also charge, additional to the monthly rates?

And you know what? People actually take advantage of this shit. They wreck their cars in purpose so that the damn insurance company buys them a brand new one.

Car accidents are caused by many different reasons, and raising or lowering rates DOES NOT SIGNIFICANTLY affect the number of accidents.

Many drunk drivers pay high dollar insurance. They're the ones that fuck things up the most. People fall asleep while night driving. They also pay high bills in their insurance.

What you say, that raising insurance rates decreases accidents, is partly true, since many people take this as a responsibility and drive more safely, however, this far from stops accidents from happening, is just like drunk drivers, they know that they'll get their ass in jail for doing that, but still, I believe the highest percentage of car accidents is due to drunk drivers. NOT because of low rates on insurance.

I simply call it "legal highway robbery".

Last edited by Frozen; Sep 29th, 2003 at 09:35 AM..
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote