Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:35 AM   #1
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Anime Comes Alive

Quote:
The Matrix spawned The Animatrix, Lizzie McGuire begat her own manga, and Escape From New York will receive an animated sequel next winter via Sanke Plissken Chronicles. In a tantailizing twist, celebrated Japanese anime properties now are being transformed into their very own live-action adaptations. Over the next two years, expect a flurry of animated titles to resurface on the liveing, breathing big screen.
source: REQUEST mag July/August 2003
The 5 Anime shows and movies include Akira, Dragon Ball Z, Kite, Lupin the 3rd, and Ninja Scroll. Seeing that article caught my eye. What do you all think of anime going live action? Do you think any of the above will be good made into a hollywood movie?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:56 AM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Interesting news.

Though I'm not sure exactly, there are some live-action movies/shows/musicals of animes that have been created in Japan and were successful. Ones such as Sailormoon and Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars) and I think, Ghost in the Shell.

With those animes (Akira, Ninja Scroll, DBZ, Kite, and Lupin) turning into live-action will probably either end up good or bad. I personally think that Akira and Kite will do fairly well. The others might be good too, but it depends.

As for my thoughts of anime going into live-action, it doesn't really matter to me. Though I personally just like anime animated, some live-actions are probably good and I would like to check out some.

Being turned into a Hollywood movie is a good idea...anime is becoming more and more accepted in the US (with movies being shown in independent theaters and such). If they pick the right anime to turn into a Hollywood film, it might be a success. Again, I personally think that Kite and Akira would be the most successful movies. Ninja Scroll would be a bit harder to do and the same goes for DBZ and Lupin, IMO.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #3
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
It's nearly impossible for me to think of an anime becomming a live action show any good. A series like ghost in the shell would be very expensive, and might end up like a stupid detective movie, which wouldn't be any different from movies like the crap we see on NBC and CBS.

I also believe that if they tried, they could make a kick ass Akira movie. Lupin the third, shouldn't be too hard, and i don't really know how they would approach something like ninja scroll. But turning animation into live action just never really has the same feeling to it. Especially thinking about who the actors will be, what they look like, and their voices.

Jacki chan was signed up to make an Initial D movie made in China, don't know what happened to that one. And has anyone seen Fist of the North Star? Wasn't all that great. Nore was the DBZ movie, made me want to hurl all over the place.

Earlier, i posted a thread about the live action Eva movie. It's said to be very prommising, and I'd love a live action Eva, but i'm just specticle about if it's going to be any good. Anime with great plots, especially Mecha animes are very had to picture as live action, especially if they're made in japan, or anywhere else.

I feel that the best way they should approach live action anime would be the way they did Final Fantasy, and the final flight of osiris. CG anime could look great. DBZ, with realistic fighing and energy attacks. That has some real potential. Using cg for anime appeals to me mainly because they can keep the characters looking somewhat like they did in the original series.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Some more info

Akira
Quote:
Diretor Stphen Norrington(Blade, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) is rportedly helming Warner Bros. rendition of this grim sci-fi tale, which is being adapted by League screenwriter James Robinson. We're hoping that modern digital effects will do justice to Akira's stunning, futuristic neo-Tokyo landscapes and eye-popping, metatmorphic climax. A possible early-2004 release is pending
Dragon Ball Z
Quote:
One of the hottest anime properties ever, it seems only appropriate that DBZ is preparing to go live. Fox 2000 Pictures supposedly has this flick scheduled for release in the next year, with a rumored budge of $100 million. If all goes well, a full-on franchise could be in the works. Fox will reportedly collaborate on other properties in the library of DBZ's publisher, Shueisha, as part of a licensing deal between the two companies
Kite
Quote:
Through the Distant Horizon company, director Rob Cohen(XXX, The Fast and the Furious) will remake Yasuomi Umetsu's anime shocker, excising two controversial rape scenes. Kite is the unsettling tale of a young woman who, following the murder of her parents, is trained to assassinate people for a vengeful detective-shades of La Femme Nikita, for sure.
Lupin The 3rd
Quote:
Oscar-winning producer Gerald R. Molen(Schindler's List, Minority Report) has acquired the live-action film rights to the famous Monkey Punch manga Lupin the 3rd. This tale of a wily but gentlmanly thief, who is forever pursued by bumbling Interpol Inspector Zenigata, has inspired a long-running anime series, eight animated features, and 13 television series in Japan.
Ninja Scroll
Quote:
Considering the arty matial-arts craze propagated by the smash hit Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the dazzling Ninja Scroll seems only natural for a big-screen translation. Threshold Entertainment anticipates a $60 million, effects-heavy production, with licensing plans to numerous media including television, video games, and music. Threshold already cashed in with Mortal Kombat; can it work the same magic with this title

All this info came for Request mag's July/August 2003 issue. I personally like the sound of a Ninja Scroll videogame.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:03 AM   #5
stormshadow
G.I. Joe Foe

stormshadow is on a distinguished road
Man I don't know about anime transferring into live action because in anime you can draw anything but actual life does have restrictions. If the thought that special effects will fix everything then I can safely say I'm glad to be left out because of one thing that comes to my mind......Yoda in Episode 2.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
I find it hard to see a good DBZ movie. Heck...even the animated ones suck I've never seen Ninja Scroll or Kite so I can't comment on those. And I have only seen a couple episodes of Akira.

I have seen almost every Lupin though. I think since there aren't any special powers or huge mechs in the series it is fair to say it could be done easily. The problem is that most of the episodes are meant to be funny. Only a couple episodes involve real drama. I still think that it can turn out to be a really good movie. I just don't think a lot of people will like it for one reason or another. Though I am looking forward to seeing the actress that plays Fujiko

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:48 PM   #7
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Agreed : I don't see how in hell they could make a good DBZ movie. The anime is horrid, the game sucked, and I can only expect such a movie to follow the same pattern.

If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing Lupin in live action. They're already movies anyway, so perhaps a live action one wouldn't be so terribly bad. Besides, what makes Lupin great is the comedic factor, not it's over-the-top visuals.

Ninja Scroll and Kite are another story, though. Sure, there are some decent fight/action scenes (and I use the term decent loosely), but seriously, though; NS is basically pure sex and Kite well, Kite is categorized as hentai to begin with. Blah. I wouldn't pay (again...) to see things like that.

happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:27 PM   #8
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Don't be knocking Ninja Scroll Sniper. I really like that one.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:30 PM   #9
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

There's nothing wrong with you liking it, Azuma. I just happen to really dislike it for reasons I've mentioned countless times.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #10
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

I know I was only messing with you.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM   #11
Deathwatchz
Chylde of Darkness

Deathwatchz is on a distinguished road
i think that unless they have some major CG in the movies, they are going to bomb. Another thing with DBZ is that how are they going to pull that one thru without making it look like animatrix or the hulk? The chracters in the show do so much damage to the surroundings, they increase in body mass, they are almost always flying, and the fight scenes are blurs. Not to mention the energy blasts... I love the show, but I'm not sure how they can do it live-action....

Deathwatchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #12
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I've watched a real action movie based on DB (the first series) and man, that sucked! It was a Japanese movie, with real actors and terrible special effects. It made me laugh, I admit it, because it was so incredibly ridiculous, but the movie in itself sucked!
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #13
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

I don't have any hopes for the DBZ movie. Yes all the flying and explosions will be tough but the thing I always think about is the hair. To me that's got to be tough, and then when they go SS the characters hair changes even more.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroSniper

Ninja Scroll and Kite are another story, though. Sure, there are some decent fight/action scenes (and I use the term decent loosely), but seriously, though; NS is basically pure sex and Kite well, Kite is categorized as hentai to begin with. Blah. I wouldn't pay (again...) to see things like that.

Kite isn't so bad, but I think that Mezzo Forte (the "sequel") is probably worse. I actually enjoyed Kite and thought the story was pretty good, but hated how it ended. This film would probably do well as a live action...but that's just me.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #15
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
What makes anime anime is that its animated. Sure you could turn it into a live action motion picture but as youve all said it wouldnt be easy, and probably wouldnt be good. Especially not DBZ. DBZ isnt really to be taken seriously so trying to make it a motion picture would just end up being comical. BUT the question is, if they HAD to become live action movies who would play the characters best

Heres what im thinking

Goku : Seann William Scott lol
https://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo...w_yun_fat2.jpg

Just kidding but really who do you think would play your fav anime characters the best in a movie

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Jun 26th, 2003 at 11:37 PM..
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #16
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
I can't think of anybody worthy of playing Kakashi, Sasuke, or Naruto...
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #17
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Hylas

I've watched a real action movie based on DB (the first series) and man, that sucked! It was a Japanese movie, with real actors and terrible special effects. It made me laugh, I admit it, because it was so incredibly ridiculous, but the movie in itself sucked!
Eek! Have you really seen that? I'm sorry for you, it must be a terrible and traumatic experience!
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #18
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Ya know, they're making a live action Evangelion.

"ADV FILMS ANNOUNCES LIVE-ACTION THEATRICAL VERSION OF JAPANESE ANIMATED TITLE “NEON GENESIS EVANGELION;” VISUAL EFFECTS BY “LORD OF THE RINGS” STUDIO WETA WORKSHOP LTD.

CANNES, FRANCE, 19 May 2003—In an announcement sure to make waves in the entertainment industry, ADV Films President and CEO John Ledford today publicly confirmed industry rumors that the firm has acquired the rights to produce, and has already begun development of, a live-action feature-film based on the Japanese animated television series “Neon Genesis Evangelion,” a multi-million dollar worldwide franchise and perhaps the most influential anime title in the history of the art form. The project is a collaboration between ADV Films, Gainax and Weta Workshop, Ltd.

The Participants
ADV Films is the leading producer-distributor of Japanese animation in North America. The Japanese anime and game studio Gainax Network Systems was one of the original production studios responsible for “Neon Genesis Evangelion,” and Weta Workshop, Ltd. is the New Zealand-based special effects studio that created the effects for Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

“The three main players here represent something of a ‘dream-team’ for a project like this one,” said Ledford. “Between the quality and significance of the Gainax title, Weta’s industry-leading skill in the creation of special visual effects, and our expertise in the marketing and promotion of anime and anime-related content, this project is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

https://www.advfilms.com/news/index.asp?id=921

God help me, if they make a Hellsing or/and Berserk one.

By the way, Rei's gonna be pissed. :O

*runs*
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #19
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Evangelion in live action? They need to just leave that series alone. However, I would enjoy a second season based on the alternate personalities in the last episode of the series

A live-action Berserk would just be stupid. Too much blood and stuff for them to make it look good at all.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote