Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #21
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
OK now there is somethign i didnt know, that being the part about how Xbox 360, although HD ready, doesn't allow for HD-DVD's to be played directly.

The comment was made about how the majority of the game lineup for the next generation of sony are remakes or next chapters in games although for the most part is correct, is also a main reason that excites me to get one asap. Playing games like the new MSG really has me wanting the system and the game right now. Like mentioned, the games is what makes the system, not the total number of systems sold.

Granted I too would like to see new games in the new generation, but what excites me the most is picking up familiarity and seeing it in its new formal wear. It makes the blood flow and the hairs stand on end.

Harry, and everyone else with more knowledge on this subject too, but I have read about (although didn't dig into it) that a large number of Xbox launch consoles have been failing. Is there any figures out there on the number of returned or exchanged or fixed machines? I only checked out a couple forums where it appeared that about 1 in 4 had to get their systems replaced.

"Many people to this day have functioning launch consoles. Then there's those that've had it replaced once. And those with lock-ups but not-quite-dead-yets. They you have guys like me, who are on thier fourth box."

I got this quote from an xbox website forum HERE

Now it would be interesting to see those numbers and compair it to the number of failing or failed PS3 machines over the same time period. Again, this is not bashing Microsoft, every console will have its hiccups at launch and every system has had its issues over time, but just an interesting tid bit.

Look we all know and understand that the delay sucks. There is not better word for it. But to down play what the system will offer simply cause its a few months later is not fair. Without the 360 release this delay wouldnt nearly be as publizied. The facts are that people want the PS3, and just can't wait for it. Those that want it will get it, those that don't want it, will complain about and those that don't care, will watch Simpsons Season 8 on DVD.

The Magic Is Coming!

Last edited by jjmoohead; Sep 13th, 2006 at 03:51 AM..
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #22
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Just a reminder for the Europeans..

Silent Hill 3, you guys got it first/ ICO you got the best version..on a DVD-rom.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #23
Infernal Mass
pariah

oh almsot forgot,

doesn't matter to me. I'm never going to be an early adopter ever again, I'll wait a year when they start manufacturing quality hardware.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #24
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass

Silent Hill 3, you guys got it first/ ICO you got the best version..on a DVD-rom.
You're kidding...Europe got the DVD-rom version of ICO? Oh man, I wish the US got the DVD version...I can no longer play ICO because my stupid PS2 can't read the blue discs anymore.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #25
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass

Twice in a million game releases is pretty weak
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #26
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Twice in a million game releases is pretty weak
Agreed, and how about US and Japan being the same region-code? Makes importing cool fighting games that much easier. Oh wait we share region codes with Africa, I'll just import from there
Or was that just a rumour?

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #27
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
Agreed, and how about US and Japan being the same region-code? Makes importing cool fighting games that much easier.
True, but I guess it depends on which fighting game you're talking about. I don't know if all Japanese fighting games are that great, but then again, I don't know much about it. I agree that there is an advantage that US and JP share the same coding, but it's not so helpful to import if you don't understand/read Japanese anyway.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #28
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
You're kidding...Europe got the DVD-rom version of ICO? Oh man, I wish the US got the DVD version...I can no longer play ICO because my stupid PS2 can't read the blue discs anymore.
yep, same exact situation here.(launch day ps2 FTL)I went to buy ICO about 2 months back, and didn't even bother checking to see if it was a dvd/cd-rom. Unitl I got in the car and looked at the back of the case.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Sep 14th, 2006 at 06:10 AM..
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #29
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Meryl, Infernal - have you tried re-aligning the laser?

If yiou have some friend good with these things, try https://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ware/ps2.ars/1. It's actually easy enough to do it yourself, but I really won't try it unless you are a bit handy with these things.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #30
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
ummm didnt i read that the nintendo wii was supposed to be a same day world wide release? I mean I might be wrong and maybe thats their plan, but its been reported today that Nintendo doesn't plan releasing the wii in Europe until March of 2007.

Nothing is offical and the offical Europe release date is supposed to be announced today or tomorrow.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #31
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry

If yiou have some friend good with these things, try https://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ware/ps2.ars/1. It's actually easy enough to do it yourself, but I really won't try it unless you are a bit handy with these things.
Yeah, I found this site a while back myself but I'm not really so handy with diassembling/re-assembling so I didn't dare risk it. What's even worse is that I'm on my second PS2 because my first PS2 just died one day (and my warranty was over) and still the same problem arisen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmoohead
ummm didnt i read that the nintendo wii was supposed to be a same day world wide release? I mean I might be wrong and maybe thats their plan, but its been reported today that Nintendo doesn't plan releasing the wii in Europe until March of 2007.
Just saw it myself too and I don't know what to say. First off, it's too much of a coincidence so it could possibly be a hoax (started from the reaction from Europe on PS3's delay). But, it could not be a hoax and if this really is the case then that is really stepping over the line. Nintendo might lose a big chunk of their fanbase and flood over to the 360, dubbing it "the reliable console" if this news is true.

You Can Help

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #32
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
I strongly doubt the fanbase of the Wii could ever move to the Xbox 360. At best, they could move to Sony, but there is too much difference between fans of Nintendo and fans of Microsoft.

First, Nintendo fanbase is built on a series of the most popular video game franchises of all times, which will obviously remain forever a Nintendo exclusive. Then, the Wii is a completely different console, that has really little to do with either the Xbox 360 or the PlayStation 3. Finally, the difference in price between the Wii and a decent Xbox 360 package (because you can do little more than nothing with the Core package, that I think will still cost much more than a Wii) is enormous. Among other things, Nintendo announced yersterday that the Wii will retail in Japan for little more than 170 Euro (!!!), and should cost about $250 in North America. Plus, Wii games will cost "just" 50$ (10$ less than Xbox 360 games), and downloadable games from NES, SNES, and N64, which players will be able to download, will cost between $5 and $10 - not bad, considering you have a chance to play some of the best games ever to grace a gaming console.

The official press conference for Europe is to be held tomorrow - in any case, all things considered, I really think Nintendo, with its focus on gaming, will triumph in this generation.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #33
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry

yea, that walk-thru is pretty good. The ps2 is alot friendlier to fix, than the xbox. I spent about a good hour trying to find the correct setting for the laser. Finally just gave up, didn't want to mess it up any furhter than it is. It still plays dvd-roms perfectly, even the double layered like xenosaga ep.1. (well it did, i gave xenosaga away)

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #34
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Japan is not getting the system until December a short time after the realease in North America on the 19th of November. This seems to be simular to the last major release for nintendo following the same pattern. I could have sworn it was supposed to be a world wide release though. Maybe they learned from the 360's mistakes. Either way, if this is truly the case, it really doesn't make Sony's messup look nearly as bad, if nintendo doesn't do it either.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #35
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
True, but I guess it depends on which fighting game you're talking about. I don't know if all Japanese fighting games are that great, but then again, I don't know much about it. I agree that there is an advantage that US and JP share the same coding, but it's not so helpful to import if you don't understand/read Japanese anyway.
Believe me Meryl, there are tons of great fighting games that never cross the Japanese border including a lot of the better Darkstalker/Samurai Showdown-titles. The games are mostly the same in set-up and controls, so that ain't a problem(otherwise the online fighting-communities are always happy to help). So for fighting-fans it's quite a big deal.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #36
Harry
Administrator

Nintendo just announced their plans for Europe at their press conference - the Wii will launch in Europe on December 8th, priced at 249 Euro in Europe, £179 in United Kingdom. The package will include Wii sports (a collection of simple Sports games), not included in the package in Japan. It was actually a very smart move from Nintendo, because Wii Sports is a great tool to introduce players to a completely new type of game controller. By the way, additional controllers should cost 39 Euro.

Overall, not bad for Europeans - if it wasn't for the usual unfair 1 $ = 1 Euro conversion. Also, first party titles may cost more than expected: from 49 to 59 Euro.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #37
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Well thats not bad, especially after orginal reports. So North America is the 19th, Japan December 2nd and Europe Dec. 8th. Well its not quite a world wide launch as orginal thought but at least Europe is not getting the normal wait period.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #38
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Okay December isn't so bad, it's only a month behind the US. But I agree the conversion is really awful - around $300 for Europe and the UK is pretty nuts when you consider a measly $250 for the US along with games that are priced the same as current ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
Believe me Meryl, there are tons of great fighting games that never cross the Japanese border including a lot of the better Darkstalker/Samurai Showdown-titles. The games are mostly the same in set-up and controls, so that ain't a problem(otherwise the online fighting-communities are always happy to help). So for fighting-fans it's quite a big deal.
I guess I need to check out more Japanese fighting games then. I tend to look for action/adventure or puzzle games from Japan which is why I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this genre.

You Can Help

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #39
Infernal Mass
pariah

One thing i dislike about the Wii is that Nintendo is basically making people pay for Wii Sports. I'd be glad to pay 200 for just the Wiimote(+nunchuku), and the Wii.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #40
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
We're third world! Games and consoles cost more than in the US, we get them later, and they think a couple of bonuses are enough! Not to mention the fact I've always thought it's very unfair to add bonuses later, after the first release. I mean, who are the people who bother to get the game when it comes out? Stupids? They pay more and get no bonuses. Also, why some countries get bonuses for one game while others don't? If games were playable worldwide, without the silly regions limitations, it would be ok, but if a game gets a special release in Europe, a US player won't be able to have it because he's not supposed to buy a PAL game. That's plain stupid. I hate marketing strategic moves like these. They are truly only a way of the companies to confuse and frustrate people
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote