Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #21
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

ToxicUK is on a distinguished road
No we get CN by cable as well - it just depends on our choices. I get CN by cable at work cos we have cable tv and I have Sky sattellite digi at home.

Toxic - Force The World To Crumble
ToxicUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #22
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

Ahhhh! Asian's don't = disgusting. You just heard some racist bastards speak out, which should be a crime. Too many people are racist in the US. Upset, angry, and jealous. But for every racist there are nice people in the US. Trust me on this, not everybody is stuck up on image and other people's opinions. It's just that some people are.
Heh, yeah I have. Ever since I was a kid, so that's why I'm a little upset against racists and all that. I know there's a lot of those people in other countries too and I know that many people have become a little more open to other cultures, but I still have those racist incidenst in my mind.

Quote:
And Meryl is right about the popularity thing. Game shows used to be damn popular two years ago in the US and now you have to order the Game Show network or stay up late to see one.
Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. This is what I fear about anime. I don't want anime to be just "another craze". This is what saddens me the most but I hope that with fans such as you, Vicious, myself, and many others, anime won't disappear or be "yesterday's news".

Quote:
I don't think that is the case. I think people in America who enjoy Anime just don't want to wait forever to watch something and understand what they are saying with out having to read for 20 straight minutes. I don't think they want their own style they just don't want to wait that long or learn a new language. I think that a lot of fans of Anime in America could come up with great ideas for new Animes.
I'm pretty sure that many fans of anime could come up with great stuff. I even know this one guy who said that he and his friend just might make an anime soon and I'm happy about that! I'm really glad, Preventer, that you stated that maybe American fans don't want their own style (Amerianime? ) but just want to have anime to understand and know. The only reason why I'm so...testy on this fact is because I don't like those anime styles which are anime..but have a little bit of cartoon in them. You guys know what I'm saying? ^^;;; I dunno...kinda looks odd.

Quote:
I think it is damn selfish to say Anime should only be made by Japanese people. That's like saying Basketball can only be played by Blacks because most good players are Black! THAT IS TOTAL BS AND IT IS RACIST! To blame it on their culture and "way of behavior" is so damn wrong! If that is truly how they feel then I give up watching it! But of course I have to believe you because you are Asian. RIGHT. I am part Asian myself and my grandmother is 100% Asian. Yet I don't claim I know part of everything that is Asian because I don't.

But you know what, I am 100% American. So maybe you don't know what I am talking about. It's just my culture and way of behavior that makes me like this.
I sense slight mocking in your post. While you say that it's BS and racist for for people to say "Only blacks could play b-ball", I think that a majority knows that a large percent of players are black. Another thing: someone mentioned earlier that it's almost like if saying white people shouldn't rap...okay...well, if there was an Asian person who decided to come over to the US and rap....do you think that a large majority would listen to it? I know that many probably wouldn't. To begin with, it's just odd to many that an Asian would rap...and I'm pretty sure that many would also say "Man, Asians should just not rap!" It's the same thing....why do you think an Asian rapper hasn't appeared in the US? And I know there are some Cantonese rappers/hiphop/R&B in Hong Kong (Johnny Cheung, for one) and he speaks English pretty well. But, he hasn't made it over here and he's popular in Hong Kong.
What I'm trying to say in that above post is that if things are traditionally a certain way, they should just stay that way. I mean, even though there are some Asian singers who'd like to make it big in the US, they know that it's kinda tough so they just make it big in their own country and whoever likes Asian music can import it.
I'm not saying that I know everything Asian because I'm born in the US and hung around Americans a lot....but I also kept some of my Asian roots....and plus, since I now associate with Asians now, I have met some Japanese people (not become friends, mind you only aqcuaintances) and their behavior is the same as I mentioned already. And if you guys don't believe me on "the Japanese would like to keep anime to Japanese", you can go onto AnimeNation and read the archives of that "Ask John" guy. I always had a feeling about the whole Japanese only thing, but there's a recent question called "Western mangaka" and he states it. And he's clearly an Anime/Manga/Japan guru, so you can take his word for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

Also Meryl I dont think you should apologise if you offended anyone in your posts. You have every right to express yourself in any manner you deem fit . Id hate for you to sensor yourself too much and we not get the full effect of your stance on the issue.
I'm not censoring myself at all....but I just didn't want to offend anyone on here because I know how I would hate to be offended myself.

Once again, I would like to say that I'm not saying that Americans shouldn't make their own anime. If they get the anime style down where it looks exactly like anime (because I seriously do not like those anime/cartoon types....anyone seen the newer "Dirty Pair" manga by that comic book artist? I didn't like it) then I'm all up for it. If anyone wants to go over to Japan and be a mangaka or draw anime, by all means, go for it! But as for me, I just enjoy anime from Japan more that's all and it's only my opinion.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:13 PM   #23
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Interesting views, but there's not much I can say. FOr me all I have is the mainstream right now, if it's not on television or the radio I don't know about it unless someone tells me. I only heard about Dirty Pair this past year and that was because it's shown on showtime, but I haven't watched it recently. I don't like how they just show random episodes.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #24
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

ToxicUK is on a distinguished road
Thats a god issue... If they are gonna show anime and its a series why not show the series in the right order rather than a list of epsodes like

Thats just silly.

Toxic - Force The World To Crumble
ToxicUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #25
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by ToxicUK

Thats a god issue... If they are gonna show anime and its a series why not show the series in the right order rather than a list of epsodes like

Thats just silly.
I know, it is pretty ridiculous. I remember when this one cable network showed Sailormoon for the first time (I believe it was TNT?? ) they skipped many of the regular episodes. So it was basically like:

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, etc.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #26
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
I sense slight mocking in your post. While you say that it's BS and racist for for people to say "Only blacks could play b-ball", I think that a majority knows that a large percent of players are black. Another thing: someone mentioned earlier that it's almost like if saying white people shouldn't rap...okay...well, if there was an Asian person who decided to come over to the US and rap....do you think that a large majority would listen to it? I know that many probably wouldn't. To begin with, it's just odd to many that an Asian would rap...and I'm pretty sure that many would also say "Man, Asians should just not rap!" It's the same thing....why do you think an Asian rapper hasn't appeared in the US? And I know there are some Cantonese rappers/hiphop/R&B in Hong Kong (Johnny Cheung, for one) and he speaks English pretty well. But, he hasn't made it over here and he's popular in Hong Kong.
I was just a little...or very...angered at some of your comments made about Americans..... saying they would steal it and make it terrible but since Americans can't comprehend anything deep they would think it was just fine.... Calling us selfish because we would have it our own way.... etc. And yes there was a bit of mockery....

Yes, a large percent of blacks make up the NBA but there are whites that play it and are good at it. A good Asian example is Yao Ming.

I don't listen to rap music much because most of it just dumb. But if an Asian wanted to rap and could there would be somebody with a deal for him or her. It only seems strange because most rappers are black.

But I still think it is totally wrong for things to have to stay according to tradition. If things were still like that most women would be at home all day cooking dinner and cleaning the house. Or people would still be burned alive for being witches.

Maybe I'm just jealous? I have to sit at my computer and download the animes I want to watch. Then I have to read for 20 straight minutes. It just ticks me off.

And I'm sorry for insulting you... I'm usually not mean...but like I said I was really angry at some of the things you said because I am not like that.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #27
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
well, if there was an Asian person who decided to come over to the US and rap....do you think that a large majority would listen to it? I know that many probably wouldn't
I majorly dissagree with that one. I mean we have a rapper by the name of Jon Paul (Excuse the spelling) whos two singles have rocketed to the top 3 spots of the major Hip Hop Countdown show 106 & Park. And Jon Paul is Afghani !!!!!. If an asian tried to rap...as long as he was good I can promise he would have just as good a chance to do well in the U.S if not a BETTER chance than most americans because.... well people like different styles as long as they are good. Also black people seem to love Jet Li. And DMX seems to be in everyone of his movies now. Asian people could make it in RAP belive me. Maybe not country music though...thats where your racists lie !.

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #28
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
No matter what you guys say, Meryl makes the good points in this debate. She's right about all the racial stuff, even if you thought it sounded racist (which I know she isn't, so you guys shouldn't get all defensive...), it got the point across really well.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:24 AM   #29
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

I was just a little...or very...angered at some of your comments made about Americans..... saying they would steal it and make it terrible but since Americans can't comprehend anything deep they would think it was just fine.... Calling us selfish because we would have it our own way.... etc. And yes there was a bit of mockery....
As I stated before, I meant no offense or insults in my posts. I was only stating what I thought and I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. I never meant to say that Americans can't comprehend anything deep...that's not what I was trying to say. I was only saying that because a lot of cartoons that I have seen are basically: superheros, powers, etc. I mean, just look at the Marvel comics and Spiderman, Superman, Batman, etc. Most of the plots are almost the same. That's what I meant by

Quote:

Anime is something different, something unique....if people make an American anime for the Western audience, it's not really anime. Because it'll just like any typical cartoons because the plot will be something based for Americans and it'll be simple, not complex like Japanese anime (not all, mind you ).
Of course, as I stated as well, not all plots are simple superhero stuff. I read Witchblade by Michael Turner and that was amazing! This makes me believe that Americans can come up with nice stories. And while I believe that, what I meant by "it'll be simple, not complex" is because anime usually start off with manga first, as well with comics. Preventer, you and Vicious are speaking of people just coming up with anime plots and BAM! Making it into an anime right away (this is what you guys are saying, right? I don't want to misunderstand you...please correct me if I'm wrong). And while that is all good, if you guys want to have a really good anime, it's probably better to have it put down on manga/comic first. Why? Because it allows for careful planning and details...and that's what makes a really good anime. If all the details and stuff go into a manga/comic first, it'll be so much easier to create it into an anime because you already have the story laid out. I'm pretty sure that many would love to just start right away and make an anime...but these same people probably won't have much story detail as well. That's what I meant by "not complex"...because people who started off watching anime will be like "Hey...I can come up with just as good a plot as these Japanese animes", but they forget: what about all the details? These are usually covered in manga. So, if these people go off to an animator or company and give them their ideas, it's probably only a basic plot. And while I know that you guys may say "They can cover a lot of the details, character history, etc. in the anime"...that's true, but if these people have a very complex and loong story...then the anime will probably span incredibly long. And sometimes, the longest series aren't the best. I know what I'm saying is probably very confusing to all of you, but I have so much that I want to say that I'm getting dizzy...if you guys want me to clarify, please tell me and I'll try to make my post less confusing. ^^;;;
And the whole "Americans stealing it" and "selfish" thing...I only mentioned that because a lot of things have happened that makes me assume that a large percent of Americans would do that. And while I already know that not every American is like this, I'm mostly talking about the media majority, not just normal people.

Quote:
Yes, a large percent of blacks make up the NBA but there are whites that play it and are good at it. A good Asian example is Yao Ming.
I knew you would mention him and he seems to be the first...and it's only now that America is becoming more acceptable...if this guy were to join a few years ago, he probably wouldn't be as popular.

Quote:
I don't listen to rap music much because most of it just dumb. But if an Asian wanted to rap and could there would be somebody with a deal for him or her. It only seems strange because most rappers are black.
It's not strange...it's just the way it is. Blacks are good at rapping...and if you notice, white people seem to be only good at rapping if they hung around blacks or grew up with them (Eminem is a good example). There aren't that many blacks in Asia...so how would the Asians get the influcence? Sure, if they listen to the CDs of black rappers, they can kinda pick up...but it's just not quite the same, am I right? (I listened to that Johnny Cheung guy and while I think his rapping is good..it's not quite the same as real black rapping). This is the same thing with the anime thing: Japanese are naturally good at drawing anime/creating it...sure, they can let an American or European or whoever to do it...but it won't be quite the same, unless these people have really practiced their life on drawing/creating anime.

Quote:
But I still think it is totally wrong for things to have to stay according to tradition. If things were still like that most women would be at home all day cooking dinner and cleaning the house. Or people would still be burned alive for being witches.
Maybe so, but every culture is different. Maybe America is just more free...but you can't expect other cultures to just give up their traditions or way of life just for you, right? I mean, if you want to talk about tradition, let's talk about Japanese. Even now, I still notice women still serving the men, taking the role of woman. And hey! These Japanese are living in the US, where woman have their rights and power and all that. So why do these women continue to be "woman of the house" and all? Because in Japanese history and tradition, it's been that way. And while Japanese women are now more liberal and free, they still have their roots and it's in their blood. Another good example is the geisha thing. Being a geisha is...well...strictly for Japanese. I've never seen many foreigners being one, with the exception of this one woman, but she was writing a book, so that's alright. But around 2000/2001 there was this article in the paper speaking about these young girls (1 American, and I think 1 Thailand and 1 Vietnamese). These girls went to Japan (I forget why) but they dressed up like geisha and walked around the city and smiling and giggling like it's all fun. Okay, well, maybe they didn't know better, but a lot of Japanese were annoyed. Why? Because they were messing around with tradition. They weren't taking it seriously, no. They were just walking around like they were in their normal t-shirt and jeans. And it's very rude. And it's tradition. And yes...while this is the age where tradition isn't as strong in the US, but in other countries it is. So...those girls can't expect the Japanese not to be upset at them just because tradition isn't as strong in their own country. The same thing with the anime: maybe anime isn't exactly "traditional" but it did originate and begin there. We can't expect them to be like "Oh, what the hell? Anyone!! C'mon over and take over the Japanese manga industry! We don't care!" That's not right. They're happy to export anime out, but to ask that a foreigner go over and take over it...that's just not right.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just jealous? I have to sit at my computer and download the animes I want to watch. Then I have to read for 20 straight minutes. It just ticks me off.
Look, be thankful you can download your animes for free. I can't even download or do anything on my computer. If I can get anime on my computer for free, I wouldn't care how long it takes. As for me, no, I have to buy my stuff and spend dozens just to satisfy my craving for animes. And hey...I'm not complaining.

Quote:
And I'm sorry for insulting you... I'm usually not mean...but like I said I was really angry at some of the things you said because I am not like that.
Believe me, I get angry at certain things too. But I usually like to think things through and speak in a more calm manner than start raging out at someone and mocking them while they were only trying to present facts and opinions.

You Can Help

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #30
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:

I majorly dissagree with that one. I mean we have a rapper by the name of Jon Paul (Excuse the spelling) whos two singles have rocketed to the top 3 spots of the major Hip Hop Countdown show 106 & Park. And Jon Paul is Afghani !!!!!.
Sorry for double posting, I maxed out the character limit in my last post. I sincerely apologize.

Anyway, this rapper Jon Paul...is he currently popular or was he popular a while back? I'm only asking because if he started out earlier, then it's no problem...he probably is a great rapper and people were fine with him. But...if he started out when the whole "9/11 attack" sprung up...I'm pretty sure many people would probably be kinda negative towards him and he might not be as popular.
But if it is the latter half, a good majority are probably more open-minded likes him because his music is good and they don't care about the whole Afghani thing.

Quote:
If an asian tried to rap...as long as he was good I can promise he would have just as good a chance to do well in the U.S if not a BETTER chance than most americans because.... well people like different styles as long as they are good.
Yeah, people do like different styles...but it's all a matter of taste, rather than being good, right? Like, my favorite band is a Japanese band named GLAY. And while I like them a lot because their music is different from US stuff, if I give a CD to someone who likes different styles, they might not like it because it's not their taste. I think GLAY is great and their music is great! But a majority might not think their music is good because the music is either "too different" or "not to their liking" or other reasons. So, if an Asian were to come over and rap and a majority in Asia thinks this guy/girl is great, the people in US (even though this rapper's style is different) might not like it because it's not to their liking. Also, people come into play as well. I mean, sure, as I said before there's nothing wrong with whites, Asians, Indians rapping. But of course, the race might have something to do with it because whites/Asians/Indians or whoever don't traditionally rap. So, these people might not be widely accepted...yet. It'll probably take a while or maybe never. Just depends on racism and peoples' tastes.

Quote:
Also black people seem to love Jet Li. And DMX seems to be in everyone of his movies now. Asian people could make it in RAP belive me. Maybe not country music though...thats where your racists lie !.
Funny thing about that. Blacks love Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun-Fat (prounounced "fah" not "fat"...I dunno why he chose that ) but yet, a lot of blacks still make fun of Asians. They like the whole martial art thing, but if an Asian or whatever were to speak to them or say anything, they would start with the "Man, you stupid or something?" or "Ching-chong, ching-chong...shaddup chink!" In my school, there are a lot of Asians. A lot of blacks talk to them because they think "Ooh! Asians, they must know martial arts!" and when they find out they don't, then the whole mocking game begins. Oh sure, some of them (and whites) don't say anything in front of the Asian's faces...but behind their backs, it's all out. And I'm not lying either; there's this one girl who told me that I'm very fortunate to be quiet and shy because a lot of the outgoing Asians in my school are being made fun of behind their backs. And these Asians are so naive and think "I've got great friends! I'm so accepted!" Right.... -_-;;;

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

No matter what you guys say, Meryl makes the good points in this debate. She's right about all the racial stuff, even if you thought it sounded racist (which I know she isn't, so you guys shouldn't get all defensive...), it got the point across really well.
Thank you Suzuki, I'm relieved that I don't sound racist to some people. Once again:

I'm not trying to be racist, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm not trying to insult American's intelligence, or Americans...I'm just stating my opinions and the facts from what I've seen. Maybe my facts aren't correct and I know perfectly well that people are now more open-minded and more accepting...but the world isn't perfect and slight racism is still hidden deep in people who say they're open-minded and accepting of other cultures.

You Can Help

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #31
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't mind if they made American anime.

In fact, it'd be interesting to see how they do.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #32
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
Anyway, this rapper Jon Paul...is he currently popular or was he popular a while back?
He just released his first CD I believe not too long ago..it was a while after 9/11.

Quote:
Yeah, people do like different styles...but it's all a matter of taste, rather than being good, right?
Weather something is "good" or not is in the eye of the beholder and if that person eyes are Japanese then yes they probably have a different idea of what is good and what isnt. Its called cultural differences and they effect nearly EVERY aspect of life. I mean I consider myself to be very open to music...If I hear something that I think sounds good then I listen to it regardless of whos performing it. But I must say Ive heard that J-pop and J/Rock stuff and I dont think its good at all. So i would say its not good and you would say it is good. Whose right...the answer.. neither of us. Basically you cant say that J-Pop is good yet wouldn't be liked in the U.S because were racist. Thats simply NOT the case. And yes it has alot to do with your taste in music . And that isnt effected by racism its effected by cultural differences. Im not racist against asian people at all.. in fact.. I would love (After this whole SARS thing is cleared up) To go to China/Japan and visit for a while.. the culture thier is very interesting to me. So Im not racist yet I stll dont like J-Pop or even think its good music.

Quote:
They like the whole martial arts thing, but if an Asian or whatever were to speak to them or say anything, they would start with the "Man, you stupid or something?" or "Ching-chong, ching-chong...shaddup chink!"
Ok heres where U can benefit from an AMERICAN point of view on this one. I grew up in a black neighborhood and have gone to schools with a large black population all my life. (Keep in mind we are talking about your average urban African American here). And I can tel you that its not just Asians that are treated like that by black people. If a white kid tried to talk to them (The group of them you spoke of) hed be treated the same way and called whitey or something rather than chink. The only way you can get in with that kind of group is to act like them...essentially you must act black. Anyone could get to be friends with a group of black kids regardless of their nationality as long as they acted black well. (Acting black includes wearing black cloths.. speaking ebonics.. ya know that sort of thing). Theres a Chinese kid that looks VERY Chinese that hangs out with nothing but the urban.. rap obsessed black kidz in our school and is as much one of them as they are themselves. I mean you are right Meryl being Asian will get you trated differently...and theres always those ignorant.. immature people who think you have to be into martial arts but that can easily be put behind you if you if you adopt their style and get in with thier group. I mean sure no Asian is going to get in with a group of Ignorant American kids if he doesent act like them just as a white kid isnt going to get in with a group of black kids blasting country music and wearing tight cloths. Bottom line we ALL feel racism in one way or another it isnt just a "We hate Asians " kinda thing. We hate everyone...trust me. Were equal opportunity haters . . And fi you dont want to change your style its called "Get in where you fit in" its what we all have had to do at one point or another there are plenty of groups that would accept and befriend an Asian person who kept their culture close to them

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #33
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:

He just released his first CD I believe not too long ago..it was a while after 9/11.
If this is the case, then I'm happy. Because I'm glad that there's a large majority of people who aren't still too hung up on "9/11" and actually listened to this guy's music and made him as popular as you say he is.

Quote:
Weather something is "good" or not is in the eye of the beholder and if that person eyes are Japanese then yes they probably have a different idea of what is good and what isnt. Its called cultural differences and they effect nearly EVERY aspect of life. I mean I consider myself to be very open to music...If I hear something that I think sounds good then I listen to it regardless of whos performing it. But I must say Ive heard that J-pop and J/Rock stuff and I dont think its good at all. So i would say its not good and you would say it is good. Whose right...the answer.. neither of us. Basically you cant say that J-Pop is good yet wouldn't be liked in the U.S because were racist. Thats simply NOT the case. And yes it has alot to do with your taste in music . And that isnt effected by racism its effected by cultural differences. Im not racist against asian people at all.. in fact.. I would love (After this whole SARS thing is cleared up) To go to China/Japan and visit for a while.. the culture thier is very interesting to me. So Im not racist yet I stll dont like J-Pop or even think its good music.
Okay, look....we're not talking about you. You're not representing the entire US. Yes, you're not a racist, you're very open-minded, that's good to hear. But, you're living in a country where there's millions of people who are racist (some who are, some who aren't) and it is about the racism thing. Sure, you can say "Hey, I'll listen to anything as long as it's good"...there should be more people like that. But unfortunately, there isn't. So, if an Asian rapper comes along and even though he is good, a large percent will still make fun of him and "Why is this guy doing this to himself? Does he not know he sucks?". And if these same people tell their other friends "Man, don't listen to "insert name here" because he's just some Asian dude who can't rap" then the friends won't listen to him and sooner or later, no one's gonna listen to this guy, with the exception of a few people. And, this will cause this Asian rapper to be not popular or make it big, right? With this as a result, it means Asians shouldn't come over and rap. Only a small group of people might like this guy's rapping, but the majority wouldn't.
So now...why not? Why won't a large majority like him? Why? Because the guy is an Asian. And there's only a small percent of people like you who say "I'll listen to anything that's good". But these people who say "Don't listen to Asian rapping" are close-minded and refuse to give it a try because it's just the thought of an "Asian rapping". I mean, if they have an accent and whatnot, how cool is that to hear? It's just not, okay once again, "traditional" that Asians rap. It's just not normal or commonly seen. Maybe in their own country, it's okay. But going over to the US and trying to rap when there's real rappers who do a better job because they know how to really do it...is not. Yeah, it is a matter of tastes, but it's also race that plays a big part too.

Quote:
Ok heres where U can benefit from an AMERICAN point of view on this one. I grew up in a black neighborhood and have gone to schools with a large black population all my life. (Keep in mind we are talking about your average urban African American here). And I can tel you that its not just Asians that are treated like that by black people. If a white kid tried to talk to them (The group of them you spoke of) hed be treated the same way and called whitey or something rather than chink. The only way you can get in with that kind of group is to act like them...essentially you must act black. Anyone could get to be friends with a group of black kids regardless of their nationality as long as they acted black well. (Acting black includes wearing black cloths.. speaking ebonics.. ya know that sort of thing). Theres a Chinese kid that looks VERY Chinese that hangs out with nothing but the urban.. rap obsessed black kidz in our school and is as much one of them as they are themselves. I mean you are right Meryl being Asian will get you trated differently...and theres always those ignorant.. immature people who think you have to be into martial arts but that can easily be put behind you if you if you adopt their style and get in with thier group. I mean sure no Asian is going to get in with a group of Ignorant American kids if he doesent act like them just as a white kid isnt going to get in with a group of black kids blasting country music and wearing tight cloths. Bottom line we ALL feel racism in one way or another it isnt just a "We hate Asians " kinda thing. We hate everyone...trust me. Were equal opportunity haters . . And fi you dont want to change your style its called "Get in where you fit in" its what we all have had to do at one point or another there are plenty of groups that would accept and befriend an Asian person who kept their culture close to them
What, do you think that I'm stupid? That I also don't know that whites get the sh*t beaten out of them by black people? I do, alright? Don't think that just because I'm Asian, I'm just "100% Asian patriotism". No. Like I've said before, when I was a kid, I hung around with whites, blacks (I went through a phase where I only hung around blacks and guess what? They said "Hey, you're cool.." but I know they were just saying that and I was never really accepted), and some Asians. And I've seen it too...unfortunately, in the town where I'm living in, a large percent of white people are black because they hang around blacks a lot. And they developed the whole black style and way of speaking. While you say that an Asian can hang around blacks as long as they're almost like them...these Asians are just fortunate. Yeah, because in my school, there's this one dude who is trying to be all black...I mean, the dude is literally trying his very best. And while I think he's doing an okay job, a large part of the blacks just ignore him. And he's got everything going on: the gold necklaces, the baggy pants, the whole "Ecko" shirts going on, the flashy Nike shoes, um.....gold hoop earrings in...both ears (which, IMO, does not look right 'cause he's a skinny dude LOL). And you know what? This guy even made fun of me. I'm for real...he's all making fun of me and the way I dress and look and I'm thinking to myself "Okay, he thinks he's 100% black". And yet, he's still not accepted.

This is getting way too off topic here. Anyway, Vicious, like you said:

Quote:
Anyone could get to be friends with a group of black kids regardless of their nationality as long as they acted black well. (Acting black includes wearing black cloths.. speaking ebonics.. ya know that sort of thing).
Relating this statement with the whole anime thing, a Westerner can go off and do anime/manga but like you said, as long as they can draw incredibly well and relate a lot with the Japanese. If not, they can't. Not that they shouldn't, but they just can't...not until they get the whole style down, the culture down, etc. And there hasn't been many Westerners who've done that, right? (Drawing, I mean). And another thing, as I said before, it's not that the Japanese are racists, it's just they like to keep anime as a Japanese thing. It's the whole culture thing...just because America is more free and everything is fine, does not mean that we can expect the Japanese to allow anyone to go over and do whatever they want, anime-related.

You Can Help

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #34
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

(Off topic our not a whole new can of worms has been opened and im not ready to close it) Hmm I can see that your one that likes to put words in peoples mouth . I mean U just basically decided how millions would re act in a county you dont even live in. You seem to think you know americans very well and clearly you do not.

Quote:
Okay, look....we're not talking about you. You're not representing the entire US
I know this you are right. I cant speak for America. But I think I would know a little better than you how the people in my country react to things. Theres always going to be pockets of racism who hate things for no reason in this country. Thats never going to change but clearly it DOES NOT have as much of an effect on media as you seem to think. I KNOW black people very well and you speak as if you know them like the back of your hand. If people hear good music that they like thier (The majority) not going to act as though the person isnt good because he or she is asian and the fact that you think this just goes to show me that your a bit misguided . Hell in many cases being different gets you MORE exposure such as with Eminem. He got more attention for being white than he did for being talented at first. There are people now that say "I hate Eminem, he sucks" and they say this because he is white. It would be the same with an asian rapper if he were as skilled as EM. I mean the racism against Eminem hasnt kept him from being succesful or popular has it ?. Wouldnt be much different for an asian . I fear you are judging a large chunk of the united states based on your observation of a few super ignorant ones you have incountered. Maybe youve been scorned by some ignorant americans but dont judge an entire country based on that..please. Im not going to tell you how the people in your country act...dont tell me how the people in my country act either becasue clearly you dont really know. BOTTOM LINE. Racism isnt widespread enough to have the dramatic effect on a persons career as you think..trust me. And as for anime I think that topic has been discussed thuroughly and im greatful for everyones input especially yours Meryl.

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #35
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:

(Off topic our not a whole new can of worms has been opened and im not ready to close it) Hmm I can see that your one that likes to put words in peoples mouth . I mean U just basically decided how millions would re act in a county you dont even live in. You seem to think you know americans very well and clearly you do not.
Hey, I never said I decided anything. I'm only saying about the people that I've encountered and the weird thing is, the many people I've met are basically the same. Maybe you've met more open-minded people and you know what? I wish I were as lucky as you because I'm so sick and tired of meeting people like the racist ones I've mentioned. That's fine if you think I don't know Americans very well...I was born in the US, I've hung around Americans ever since I was a kid, and to tell you the truth, I don't hang around many Asians because I really don't like how a lot of Asians act (working in a Chinese restaurant is the haven for Asians...and believe me, most of them are annoying). I prefer to hang around Americans and Americans seem to like to hang around me, once they know me a little better. Don't think I'm totally pro-Asian or something, alright? There's many Asian things that I know about that pisses me off a lot, but it's uneccessary to mention them.

Quote:
I know this you are right. I cant speak for America. But I think I would know a little better than you how the people in my country react to things.
This is true...maybe you do know a little better of the US...but again, maybe it's the differences of people that you and I have met. Maybe you met more open-minded people...I know I've met some close-minded ones...and I guess I naturally feel that a large percent of the US are like this because looking at how a lot of Americans react to certain things, just heightens my belief.

Quote:
Theres always going to be pockets of racism who hate things for no reason in this country. Thats never going to change but clearly it DOES NOT have as much of an effect on media as you seem to think. I KNOW black people very well and you speak as if you know them like the back of your hand. If people hear good music that they like thier (The majority) not going to act as though the person isnt good because he or she is asian and the fact that you think this just goes to show me that your a bit misguided . Hell in many cases being different gets you MORE exposure such as with Eminem. He got more attention for being white than he did for being talented at first. There are people now that say "I hate Eminem, he sucks" and they say this because he is white. It would be the same with an asian rapper if he were as skilled as EM. I mean the racism against Eminem hasnt kept him from being succesful or popular has it ?. Wouldnt be much different for an asian .
Like I said, Eminem has an excuse because he grew up around blacks, so he is...black, in a way. Asians just have that other thing..it's just "weird" for an Asian to rap, IMO, especially the ones who really don't know how. And maybe others don't feel that way, but as for me and maybe a few other people, I think we agree that Asians have a little work to do before becoming a seriously great rapper in the US. Since you're criticizing me for not knowing Americans, then I don't want you to argue with me about Asians. And like I said before, there's nothing wrong with an Asian becoming a rapper...I would find it surprising and still a little weird, but I wouldn't be all "critical" of the guy for it.

Quote:
I fear you are judging a large chunk of the united states based on your observation of a few super ignorant ones you have incountered. Maybe youve been scorned by some ignorant americans but dont judge an entire country based on that..please. Im not going to tell you how the people in your country act...dont tell me how the people in my country act either becasue clearly you dont really know. BOTTOM LINE. Racism isnt widespread enough to have the dramatic effect on a persons career as you think..trust me.
Maybe I am. As I stated already, I've met a large percent of annoying, ignorant people (where I grew up, there were no Asians...so I basically grew up with Americans who weren't accepting of Asians). And the people in my country? Yeah okay, I'm American-Taiwanese and I don't need someone telling me about Taiwan, I know plenty. And maybe I was judging the US a little too much, but the only reason why this discussion got to this point was all because of one question: American Anime? Why Not? I tried to answer the question by giving reasons why:

1) The Japanese just have their own cultural and way of doing things. For the millionth time, the Japanese are more than happy to export anime, but to have a foreigner go over and try to do an anime is not something they'd be too pleased with.
2) If someone wants to make an American anime, that's fine. Go ahead, I don't care! It's not even my problem anyway. I just prefer my animes to be from Japan, that's all. If someone can come up with a great story and have an American cartoonist draw anime really well, then I'm more than happy to check it out.

With these as my answers, no one seems to accept them. Instead people are arguing with me about "Why I said this" or "Why I said that" and I'm merely stating facts from what I've read and know, and my own opinions. I never said "Hey, I'm the head of the Anime Industry and here are the reasons why". No, I was only stating from what I know and this turned out to be a war against me. I never meant to insult anyone (as I've stated for the billionth time already) but it's fine if people want to get offended and pissy about it.

Quote:
And as for anime I think that topic has been discussed thuroughly and im greatful for everyones input especially yours Meryl.
I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're for real but either way, I don't care. This topic was to discuss about anime and we're completely veering off. It's not fully discussed yet because I'm pretty sure people still think my reasons are crap and the Japanese are arrogant racists. And I've explained already that they're not but no one seems to understand that all because of two words: tradition and the difference in culture.

I thought this thread was created so that someone can answer the question about why there isn't American anime. Well, I gave my answers and get bashed for it. That's fine, I didn't expect things to turn out pleasant anyway.

But all in all, the topic needs to be seriously revived, otherwise it'll get too out of hand and will turn out to be an even bigger war. And I don't want that.

You Can Help

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #36
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Quote:
With these as my answers, no one seems to accept them. Instead people are arguing with me about "Why I said this" or "Why I said that" and I'm merely stating facts from what I've read and know, and my own opinions
I appreciate your input on the original topic I really do and I was being 100% Sincere. Im not trying to bash you at all...just debating the issue...and well another that was kind of dragged in. And the fact that you thought I might have been being Sarcastic kind of bothers me. I dont think I gave you a real reason to be so sinical. And If I have I apologise.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure people still think my reasons are crap and the Japanese are arrogant racists
There it is again..youve got this idea in your head of what people think and its completely un warrented. I really doubt anyone here thinks that about asians. Personally I havent experienced them enough to form a judgement and I dont think that asians are arrognat at all. I have yet to find a reason to. I mean I dont even understand thier language much less the way they think and act .

Quote:
I thought this thread was created so that someone can answer the question about why there isn't American anime. Well, I gave my answers and get bashed for it. That's fine, I didn't expect things to turn out pleasant anyway.

But all in all, the topic needs to be seriously revived, otherwise it'll get too out of hand and will turn out to be an even bigger war. And I don't want that.
Yes you are correct that was why this thread was created and I got out of it what I wanted and again I thanks you and everyone else for thier input. Perhaps Ive come off wrong. Im not angry at all I just enjoy a good debate especially with someone who has had experiences that I havent such as Living in Taiwan (Sorry if thats not where you live) . I think the original topic of this thread can be closed now I am satisfied with the results. There is not now and never will be a war in this thread...just a spirited debate there IS a difference. So in closing I will say this final statement

I think americans should get into anime for the reasons Ive listed through out this thread. Also..Meryl im sorry that you have been mis treated by so many americans But honestely from my 18 years here in OHIO i can tell you that its not like that everywhere. And once again thanks for the input all

And well I just have to use this : hehehe

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #37
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thank you Suzuki, I'm relieved that I don't sound racist to some people. Once again:
I've been saying the same thing as him but I couldn't get it out right. Is there something I've done wrong?

This Paul guy you're talking about is Sean Paul(not Jon) and he's fairly new. His music is more reggae or something else than rap.

Quote:

[color=black]"Hey, I'll listen to anything as long as it's good"...there should be more people like that.
I'm like that, I think JRock and J-Pop is better than the rock and pop music that's over here. The thing I look into the most for rap is the beat and then after I think a beat is good I go for the words. So as long as the beat is good I wouldn't mind listening to it.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #38
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

The beat is important yes but I could make a good beat tapping on the stearing wheel of my car (If I had one ) . I look more for vocal TALENT which is much harder to come by than a guy who can play with some dials on a machine and make a good beat. Dj's are a dime a dozen..good singers are priceless. And from what ive heard of J-Rock/J-Pop (Havent heard a whole lot though) theyre arent a whole lot of good singers in it. But then again like I said how good something is , is in the eye (Or in this case Ear) of the beholder

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #39
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This topic was to discuss about anime and we're completely veering off. It's not fully discussed yet because I'm pretty sure people still think my reasons are crap and the Japanese are arrogant racists. And I've explained already that they're not but no one seems to understand that all because of two words: tradition and the difference in culture.
Not at all. I don't think the Japanese are racist and I don't think you are. In fact I believe the majority to be quiet and nice people. I think you have very good reasons and I have never known any Asian to be arrogant. I understand the Japanese are steeped in tradition and their culture is different from the one I live in.

Quote:
I am sorry for bashing you but, like i said earlier, I was angry about some of the things you said about americans. Though I wouldn't say you got bashed, I have had much worse arguments. You actually have people that agree with you.

Quote:
This is true...maybe you do know a little better of the US...but again, maybe it's the differences of people that you and I have met. Maybe you met more open-minded people...I know I've met some close-minded ones...and I guess I naturally feel that a large percent of the US are like this because looking at how a lot of Americans react to certain things, just heightens my belief.
I just think you are misinformed on how people are in the US. There are probably millions of people that are racists in America, it wouldn't surprise me. But every country has them, but not every country can speak out as much as Americans. You could say it is tradition here in America. I doubt it will ever go away. There have always been ignorant people living on Earth. But to get the impression that most people are like this, I think is wrong. You have to understand the difference between stereotyping and racism. I think that is what you have encountered. If you have met a racist you wouldn't be allowed to speak or you wouldn't get an answer. Or if you did get an answer it would be much more negative then, "Ching-chong, Hiya!" And I don't think a school is the best place to meet open minded people (weird huh?) because school (High School especially) is more about a popularity then being a good person (sadly).

Quote:
I just used him as an example because he plays for my favorite team and is Asian. The sport was originally played mostly by whites (Due in large part to racism). But to say he would have not been as popular a couple years ago, I feel is wrong. There certainly have been a lot more foreign players coming to the NBA the last couple of years but if he had entered a few years back I think there would still have been a lot of hype because there always is about 7 footers. If you want other examples I can give you some (If you don't follow the game that is)

I just don't see the difference it makes where the anime comes from if it looks the same. I understand you feel the same way (right?) that if it doesn't differ that much that you wouldn't have that much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13
I'm like that, I think JRock and J-Pop is better than the rock and pop music that's over here. The thing I look into the most for rap is the beat and then after I think a beat is good I go for the words. So as long as the beat is good I wouldn't mind listening to it.
Some of the JRock is good. I have a game for the X-Box called Phantom Crash (Really good game) and the soundtrack to the game is nothing but JRock and J-Pop. Most of it I didn't like though. And I can't remember the names of the singers and bands I liked.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote