Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #21
rpgKing
Banned Member

rpgKing is on a distinguished road
IT may sound bland. But it is actually better than gundum wing to me.
rpgKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #22
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Chara

It better come to theaters in D.C. or I'll... I'll... just download it on my PC. Yea I should pay for it but, ya know...
It also better come out in Northern VA and MA, just because you never know I might be there when it comes out.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #23
rpgKing
Banned Member

rpgKing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

It also better come out in Northern VA and MA, just because you never know I might be there when it comes out.
ya I know sometimes they come out with these movies only in select theaters whats up with that. Well just hope that it comes out there. I hope it comes out where i am to.
rpgKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #24
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

I also read that in the US, they might release the movie in sub and dub forms. What they're saying is that certain theaters might show the sub and some might show the dub. That would be nice, but I kinda doubt it will happen though.
That sucks, because they did a great job on the dub. I'd much rather watch a good dub than a sub.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #25
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Yeah, well some of us don't have the same "connections" as some of you other members, sorry if it sounds like I'm furious at you guys. For me right now all that is available is whatever subs there are here.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #26
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Oh whoops! I accidently wrote Scotland and UK instead of just the UK. *feels incredibly stupid* So sorry.
Woah don't be sorry! I was just having fun, don' t need to apologise over something as little as that
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #27
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

That sucks, because they did a great job on the dub. I'd much rather watch a good dub than a sub.
Well, if it does happen, then you might be lucky enough to get the dubbed version in your theater.

Quote:
Yeah, well some of us don't have the same "connections" as some of you other members, sorry if it sounds like I'm furious at you guys. For me right now all that is available is whatever subs there are here.
I understand what you mean, trunks. I do feel sad that some people are unable to get some really good animes because of their location or lack of money and other things. But, if you say that your place has more subs than dubs, then that's good though. Subs are more authentically Japanese and much more better sounding, IMO. Some dubs completely change the words of what the characters are saying, so the story doesn't make sense because of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by mark0
Woah don't be sorry! I was just having fun, don' t need to apologise over something as little as that
Oh, well, I still felt bad anyway because I didn't want to offend anyone and I thought I did.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #28
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Quote:

I understand what you mean, trunks. I do feel sad that some people are unable to get some really good animes because of their location or lack of money and other things. But, if you say that your place has more subs than dubs, then that's good though.
I meant to say "dubs". Sorry for the confusion.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #29
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Ha, I don't have any kind of "connections." My area isn't really overflowing with anime, I usually have to go a few places to find what I want or just find something I wasn't really looking for and buy it instead...sometimes I get people to order stuff for me. You should try that. Even the COMIC BOOK STORE down the street from me can get anime for me if I want it...go ask around, dude.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #30
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

I have just found out more info on the movie:

AnimeNation sent me a newsletter and said that Sony has opened up the official US Bebop movie website and that the movie is going to be released in select theaters on April 4.
(So, if the US release is April 4, then the UK and Australia dates must be wrong...sorry everyone. )

Here is the theater listings: *Taken from Official Movie Site*

- Austin, TX: Landmark's Dobie Theater
- Berkeley, CA: Landmark's Shattuck Cinemas
- Cambridge, MA: Loews Harvard Square 5
- Chicago, IL: Music Box Theatre
- Dallas, TX: City Cinemas Angelika Dallas
- Irvine, CA: Regal-Edwards University 6
- Los Angeles, CA: Landmark's Nuart Theatre
- Minneapolis, MN: Landmark's Uptown
- New York, NY: City Cinemas Angelika Film Center
Loews E-Walk Theater
- Portland, OR: Regal-Edwards Fox 10 (Note: Film released on April 18 there)
- Royal Oak, MI: Landmark's Main Art Theater
- San Diego, CA: Landmark's Ken Cinema
- San Francisco, CA: Landmark's Opera Plaza #3
- San Jose, CA: Towne Theater
- Seattle, WA: Landmark's Varsity Theater
- St. Louis, MO: Landmark's Tivoli Theater
- Washington, DC: Loews Dupont Circle

That's it. Ahh...so much in CA.

Here is the link to the site:

Cowboy Bebop Official Homepage

Oh and finally....the movie is called "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie".

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #31
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:

- Irvine, CA: Regal-Edwards University 6

Ah, alright ! It can't get any closer than that !

*resserves tickets*

Quote:

Ahh...so much in CA.

Hey, great info, Meryl !
Although I've already seen the movie, I would really like to see the dub... and well, I'd just like to see it in a theatre ^_^;
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:30 AM   #32
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
I actually heard about the movie coming out in theaters about a month or two ago but thought the idea to be too far fetched to be true (What do I know?) But the fact that there are only 17 theaters scheduled to show the movie makes me sick. If you notice 6 are in CA alone and only 3 are coming out in states not along the west or east coasts. I guess I have imesh for a reason

A couple opinions....

I thought the dubs of CB were great except the episodes Vicious was in. I thought Vicious' voice was good but I think Jet's and Spike's voices were bad in those episodes. Just my opinion.

I think the movie will come out in a lot of theaters after a week or two.

I don't think the movie will have a lot of success immediately but will be steady for a couple of weeks (The DVD sales will probably be great)

All you Kazaa lovin fools should wise up and use Imesh instead!

One side note...

Read the first paragraph of the synopsis. Spike's bounty hunters? Was up wit dat?

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #33
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

That just makes me wish I lived somewhere besides Virginia. Why call it "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie"?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #34
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

But the fact that there are only 17 theaters scheduled to show the movie makes me sick. If you notice 6 are in CA alone and only 3 are coming out in states not along the west or east coasts.
Yes, but that's because CA and NY have a larger population and the pop culture there is amazingly huge. More people there are into "Asian stuff" because they have access to it (Little Tokyo, Japan Town, Chinatown, etc.). That's the reason why.

Quote:
I don't think the movie will have a lot of success immediately but will be steady for a couple of weeks (The DVD sales will probably be great)
Maybe true...just depends. If the movie doesn't make great sales, that only goes to show that anime is still very unpopular in the US and all those who wish for anime movies to be in the major theaters will be out of luck. The only anime movie that really made it, was Pokemon....a more of a "kid's genre" so it's "safe" to put it out. Real anime movies will probably never see the light of day here because not many people are into anime.

Quote:

Why call it "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie"?
Not too sure why they changed it, but I believe that many titles are changed if it's from a different country, am I wrong? The reason why the title is changed is probably because it's more appealing to the American audiences. People who are unaware of the style and attitude of the Bebop series might question "Why is it called "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door?". Because, you know, not everyone who goes to see this film are Bebop fans. Some might be just "anime fans" who go to see any anime in the theaters, only because it's anime shown in theaters. Also, maybe the US audiences just like things short and sweet. And probably "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" just stands out more. Who knows?

You Can Help

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #35
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, but that's because CA and NY have a larger population and the pop culture there is amazingly huge. More people there are into "Asian stuff" because they have access to it (Little Tokyo, Japan Town, Chinatown, etc.). That's the reason why.
I wouldn't say it's because they have access to it. Northwest Ohio has a couple of good movie stores. Not to mention the world wide web has made anime a growing trend in the states. I would say it's due to the fact that most people where I live think it's for "geeks". The fact that some people don't accept based on public perception makes me angry. Most guys my age are more interested in sports and parties then things that are not wildly popular. Though there are some cool guys like me who can pay attention to both sports and anime (What can I say, I'm gifted)

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #36
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

I wouldn't say it's because they have access to it. Northwest Ohio has a couple of good movie stores.
But it's not just about buying anime. What I meant about "access" is: CA and NY are huge cities. There is a larger population there. Because they are both huge cities, people there are going to try to get the "coolest" and "latest" trends around. Not only that, but CA and NY have a large majority of Asians there (which is why there are so many Japan Towns, Chinatowns, etc.) and these Asians will introduce many Americans to anime/manga. So, because of this, anime "pop culture" is more wide-spread in these cities than any other. These people will then have access to these Japan Towns/Chinatowns and get, not only anime, but manga and merchandise/goodies too. If more people buy these types of things, people are going to recognize and see. The sales will go up (like in Japanese bookstores, the sales of the number of mangas sold will be high) and thus, people there will be in more of a demand for anime stuff. So, that's why the Bebop movie is shown in a lot of theaters there. I hope I didn't confuse you or anyone else...

Quote:
I would say it's due to the fact that most people where I live think it's for "geeks".
Maybe this is also another reason too. I mean, if a certain town isn't accepting of anime, of course anime movies are less likely to be shown there. That's what I mean by the difference of CA/NY and other towns. CA/NY people are more accepting of anime because they have more "access" to it. Like, in my town, anime is...well...slightly popular here. I mean, the main thing that I hear people talking about is DB/DBZ, Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop....all the ones that are released here along with the graphic novels as well. That's why the Bebop movie isn't shown around in my little town, but in Chicago instead. (There's a nice little Chinatown and a small Japanese town up there and it's very popular).

You Can Help

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #37
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Im in the same case. i dont think the movie will come here in OKC as well. the biggest anime at my school is DBZ and that's pretty much it. and adult swim but it's all DBZ almost. but not too many people care for anime. only myself and my best friend are the only people i know who have an interest in anime. i wish i could see the movie. so im hoping it come's here but probally not
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 02:56 AM   #38
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
The thing is... Not a lot of Asians here in California are into Anime. Most of the Asians that we get anime from are adults, and older people. I've dated a Chinese girl and a Vietnamese girl and neither of them were into anime. I've been friends with numerous Asian people, varying by Nationality and hobbies. It went from Video games to Neighbors to fellow Bike Riders to school friends. Almost none of them were into Anime.

Where did I get anime from? From all my childhood American friends. It's not that much about Asian's bringing it over, at least here in California. I can't vouch for New York but here in California, anime has already become something for everyone.

It goes back to when I was in 8th grade and one of my friends showed me Ninja Scroll. He was all "I rented this movie from Video 2000, and it's a cartoon, but it has boobies!!!" My response being, "What's it about?" "I don't know, but it has cartoon boobies!!!"

When I saw the cover box I became interested. Next thing you know, I'm ordering the DVD's of X-Tv straight from Japan, because I prefer to watch that over Matrix.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #39
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hero

The thing is... Not a lot of Asians here in California are into Anime. Most of the Asians that we get anime from are adults, and older people. I've dated a Chinese girl and a Vietnamese girl and neither of them were into anime.
Well, to be honest, the whole "Asian girl" thing...not many of the Asian girls are into anime because of the whole issue that Asian girls are supposed to be "girly" and "into fashion". But I am surprised that you say that some other Asians you're friends with aren't into it. I mean, there is this one Asian guy from California who actually moved over to my town and he's into anime. He's gone now (back to CA I think) but while he was here, he was informing all the people about all these things. I never associated with him because he was too arrogant to me.
However....I can understand the whole "Asians" not being into the anime thing. Since anime is very common over in their countries (I mean, if you were an Asian person, the last thing you'd want to do is like something that's common in your own country. Asians have a thing like that: since they're trying hard to be "Americans" they're trying to push away their Asian "roots"). So anime is probably "boring" and "uninteresting" to them. But not all are like that, like that guy from CA.

Quote:
Where did I get anime from? From all my childhood American friends. It's not that much about Asian's bringing it over, at least here in California. I can't vouch for New York but here in California, anime has already become something for everyone.
Here's also another point though. You got your anime from your childhood American friends because Americans being exposed to this sort of thing is new. Like I said before, many like to find the hippest and newest things around and anime is one of those things that would be "new" to Americans because they never seen anything like this before.

I guess I should re-phrase all that I'm trying to say. Some Asians can introduce people to anime and Americans can too. Why? Asians can because it's common in their country and they'll have a lot of knowledge on it (if they're interested). Americans can because it's a totally different thing and they'll go all crazy over it because it's exciting and new (if they're into it). There are many different reasons, but because I keep hearing that "People in CA and NY are most into anime because they have stuff". It's probably stereotypical...and I guess I fell for it. I'm sorry to have sounded "all knowledgable" on this topic. I've been exposed to some Asians liking anime (there are a billion Koreans who adore anime in my school) and I've never really met any Asian not into it. That's why I said what I said. I also heard that since people in CA have all that stuff (stores, hobby places, etc.) they would be more into the anime. But I guess that was also stereotypical. I sincerely apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Thanks for telling me all these facts everyone.

You Can Help

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 01:25 AM   #40
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

You didn't really confuse me, meryl. I looked over the list of theaters the movie is playing again and I noticed that it was playing in DC. That mad eme a little happier, but I don't think anyone would take me to DC just to see the movie.