Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Talking Animal Crossing: Wild World

Whoa, too much cuteness. Well, kinda pointless to be asking this question seeing how the "Animal Crossing" series isn't too popular on these forums, but is anyone planning on buying the game? I am. *girly mode on*

I don't have a DS yet but I planning on getting one for X-mas...my sister as well. We plan on just visiting each other's towns to which I have a question about it:

I heard all sorts of stuff about Wi-Fi but is this necessary if 2 DSs are in close range to one another?

Also, the Wi-Fi thing...can someone actually explain the requirements of it? Not that I'm planning on going online ever but just in case I do...

Thanks in advance if you can help me out.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Hey hey, how could I not love Animal Crossing! I think this is going to be one of the best handheld games in a long time, I always thought Animal Crossing was meant to be played on a handheld console with internet connectivity. Anyhow, Panuru is a true fan of the game, she is also been waiting for the game to be released on the DS for a long, long time!

From what I read in the press releases, this version of Animal Crossing supports direct connections with nearby Nintendo DS consoles (up to 4) and connection to the Internet through the DS' wi-fi adapter. In fact, just like the PSP, the Nintendo DS is ready to be connected to a PC or to any wi-fi access point thanks to its built-in adapter. This means that you can let players from any part of the world enter in your village, if you want to, whenever you are close to a wi-fi access point. These can be found a bit everywhere in big cities, airports, internet points, but you can also simply plug a wi-fi adapter into your home PC and connect the DS to the internet through your PC!

Nintendo has just released a proprietary wi-fi USB adapter, but you can buy any other wi-fi USB adapter (you just need to plug one of these into one of your PC's USB ports) or wi-fi card (a bit more tricky to install in your PC), and it will work just as good. We use some Sitecom USB adapters in our office (they should cost around $20) and they work great with the PSP. Then, you must activate Internet Connection Sharing in your PC and the DS will automatically connect to the Internet through your PC. It is simple, really. We will have a guide about it in the new PSP website we are going to launch soon, which should apply also to the Nintendo DS. However, if you need more help, just ask!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Hey hey, how could I not love Animal Crossing! I think this is going to be one of the best handheld games in a long time, I always thought Animal Crossing was meant to be played on a handheld console with internet connectivity. Anyhow, Panuru is a true fan of the game, she is also been waiting for the game to be released on the DS for a long, long time!
Yeah, "Animal Crossing" is a fantastic game, but it's just too "kiddish" and "uncool" to some, which is a real shame since this is one of the better games out there (not too hectic like "The Sims"). My sister and I've been waiting for a sequel ever since we played the first game for about, like, a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
From what I read in the press releases, this version of Animal Crossing supports direct connections with nearby Nintendo DS consoles (up to 4) and connection to the Internet through the DS' wi-fi adapter. In fact, just like the PSP, the Nintendo DS is ready to be connected to a PC or to any wi-fi access point thanks to its built-in adapter. This means you can let players from any part of the world enter in your village, if you want to, whenever you are close to a wi-fi access point. These can be found a bit everywhere in big cities, airports, internet points, but you can also simply plug a wi-fi adapter into your home PC and connect the DS to the internet through your PC!

Nintendo has just released a proprietary wi-fi USB adapter, but you can buy any other wi-fi USB adapter (you just need to plug one of these into one of your PC's USB ports) or wi-fi card (a bit more tricky to install in your PC), and it will work just as good. We use some Sitecom USB adapters in our office (they should cost around $20) and they work great with the PSP. Then, you must activate Internet Connection Sharing in your PC and the DS will automatically connect to the Internet through your PC. It is simple, really. We will have a guide about it in the new PSP website we are going to launch soon, which should apply also to the Nintendo DS. However, if you need more help, just ask!
Oh wow, it is simple. Thanks for your help Harry, this was very informative...this might even push me to go online, who knows? I'm just really happy the DS supports direct connection with others in close range...my sister and I always wanted to go into each other's towns in "AC" but we couldn't stand it when one of our favorite villagers moves away, so we avoided traveling all years now, lol.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Haha, Panuru was also quite mad when some villager moved away. I also love all the secrets hidden in the game, and the surprises you get at certain moments of the year. Animal Crossing is such a beautiful, smart, cute game!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #5
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Ooh! I want this game. I absolutely loved AC on the Gamecube. Loved it, loved it, loved it. It's too bad I can't play it anymore, since I don't have my GC . . . or the game anymore for that matter.

But as meryl said, I don't think this game was popular at all. I didn't know of a single person besides myself that had this game around here, so I doubt anyone will have the one for the DS. I think this is a real shame because this game is really great--it's entirely different that most games out there . . . it's actually innovative which is much more than what can be said for the majority of the games out on the market.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get this game for X-mas. I would really love to visit towns, but as I said, no one around my are [at least no one I know of] has this game.

Hmm . . . maybe I'll go online and visit Panuru's and Harry's town to steal some fruit.

Last edited by happy_doughnut; Dec 8th, 2005 at 01:57 PM..
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #6
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
il be geting this soon so you can visit my town menaface
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
Ooh! I want this game. I absolutely loved AC on the Gamecube. Loved it, loved it, loved it. It's too bad I can't play it anymore, since I don't have my GC . . . or the game anymore for that matter.
Oh! I had no idea you liked the game so much since when I got the game for you, you didn't say anything, so I thought I made a bad choice...like it was too cute for you or something, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut
But as meryl said, I don't think this game was popular at all.
Ha! Tell that to those Nintendo-fanboys/girlsl over at the Animal Crossing Community forums...they'll scratch your eyes right out. Someone had posted out the EGM scores for the DS game and all of them were ready to murder the magazine staff for giving it such "brutal" scores, like a 7.0, 7.5, and 9.0. Oh yeah, those scores are just downright horrible.

Anyway, my sister got her DS and she got the game on Tuesday and has been playing it ever since...I don't have my DS yet (a piece of the backing broke when it got shipped from Japan ) so I've been watching her play and it's looking rather good. There are a few changes, some major, some not, but overall, I think it's going to be a good one to play over the winter holidays...of course, I can't help but feel the game is more like an expansion pack rather than a whole sequel, but that's just me. I'll give more impressions when I actually get my DS (should be tommorow, but it's snowing like crazy over here, so uh...I think it may be delayed. )

You Can Help

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #8
Harry
Administrator

Apparently, getting online with the Nintendo DS is a bit more difficult than I had thought if you do not have the official Nintendo USB thing or a wireless router. Unlike the PSP, the Nintendo DS does not support "Ad Hoc" connections right now, as previously announced.

Anyhow, it is still possible - you need to download a "software access point", a software that turns your pc equpped with a simple wi-fi card into a wi-fi hotspot. What's important is that your wi-fi PCI card or USB adapter can support software access points. Too bad it is not that easy to find a decent software access point for free.

There are many generic wi-fi adapters, like some models from ASUS or Shuttle (very, very cheap), that have software access point configuration utilities included into the package.

Rest assured the Nintendo DS community will find a way to connect the Nintendo DS to a generic USB adapter more easily in the next future.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #9
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Well I haven't had to go Wi-Fi at all since I don't know anyone else who has this game, but even if I did, I don't have the money to buy the USB adapter from Nintendo. Oh well. But, it's a great game so far, though I'm a bit disappointed at the holidays now. I just went through "Flea Market Day" and it's fun, but other holidays like "Yay Day" is so pointless, IMO.

You Can Help

Old May 12th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #10
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Sorry to bump this thread up but I just have a couple of questions for members who own Animal Crossing WW.

Has anyone here experienced any Spotlight Items, Double-Points, or Sales? I've had the game ever since December and my sister had it ever since November and neither of us received any of these special events. I'm just curious to know if it's a glitch with the game card or if it's the DS itself.

You Can Help

Old May 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #11
Sparky`

Sparky` is on a distinguished road
I've been playing this game for about the same amount of time and haven't had any of these special events happen either. I'm not sure what triggers these events but I don't think it has to do with hardware.

I'm sorry I couldn't help with anything more specific..
Sparky` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky`
I've been playing this game for about the same amount of time and haven't had any of these special events happen either. I'm not sure what triggers these events but I don't think it has to do with hardware.

I'm sorry I couldn't help with anything more specific..
Don't worry, your post was helpful enough. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my bad luck. I'm glad I'm not the only one, though I'm sorry you haven't gotten any either.

You Can Help

Old May 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #13
Sparky`

Sparky` is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
Don't worry, your post was helpful enough. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my bad luck. I'm glad I'm not the only one, though I'm sorry you haven't gotten any either.
I just noticed that there are a lot more events than in the previous installment. I just turned the game on to find out it was La-Di-Day. Too bad it was a bit of a useless event...

By the way, do you play over Wi-Fi? Everyone else online doesn't seem to bother with this game anymore and I have no one around here that has a copy.
Sparky` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky`
I just noticed that there are a lot more events than in the previous installment. I just turned the game on to find out it was La-Di-Day. Too bad it was a bit of a useless event...

By the way, do you play over Wi-Fi? Everyone else online doesn't seem to bother with this game anymore and I have no one around here that has a copy.
That's true, technically there are more events in the game but half of them are repetitive and are spread in intervals throughout the months. The only useful events I can truly think of right now are the Flea Markets and the Acorn Festival which is sometime in September or October.

As for the Wi-Fi thing I don't play online, sorry. I haven't gotten the chance to set it all up nor buy the USB adapter in stores. But perhaps if you post your town and friend code in the sticky thread here someone may visit your town.

You Can Help