Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:59 AM   #1
Zone

Zone is on a distinguished road
Resident Evil Online Facts

Quote:
Capcom formally announced a slew of gory facts on the subject of its upcoming online Resident Evil game, the most important of which is this: Resident Evil Online finally looks like it's become very scary again.

Officially dubbed Resident Evil Online for the North American market (not Network Resident Evil or Resident Evil Network), the PlayStation 2 exclusive title enables four players to join online (either broad or narrow band), and to play in a truly cooperative fashion. Using an undetermined server-client setup (Capcom is currently in discussions with Sega to possible use its SNAP technology), Capcom's Resident Evil Online puts players in the shoes of one of eight ordinary Raccoon city residents desperately trying to escape the Midwestern town before they too become victims of Umbrella's T-Virus outbreak.

Players are able to choose from eight characters, each with their own personality traits, looks, back stories and professions. They starring cast are Kevin, a police officer; George, a practicing doctor; Yoko, a Japanese woman "shrouded in mystery;" Mark, a Vietnam Vet who's a security officer; Cindy the waitress; David the plumber (an obvious homage to Mario...heh); Jim, the railway worker who's "good at solving puzzles;" and Alyssa, a capable reporter. A slice of American life, right?

The true fright of Resident Evil Online, however, becomes desperately clear when you see the first screenshot of hundreds of Raccoon city citizens transformed in zombies, plodding down the main street toward you. And you're not starring as Leon or Claire or anyone else as part of a STARS team, no sirree. You're an average citizen who must work with three other online strangers to figure your way out of town or at least die trying. The immense set of possibilities all of a sudden launches out in front of the imagination. What can you do? How do you get out?

Capcom is at work on these gameplay issues as we speak, some of which they have put into play, but many more of which they're testing, tweaking and working to perfection. The concrete stuff we know for sure is that players often start out alone, not within a group. In these cases, players must find their way toward the group, without any weapons, maps of knowledge of what to do. In your plight of escape, voices can be heard behind closed doors, encouraging players to find a way in, and hoping that a real, uninfected person is on the other side. In other cases, you might agree to meet with another player at a designated place and time, only to find they have not shown up. Do you search for them, hide, or simply wait? What if they are already zombies, or if they are trapped and need of your help? The endless scenarios play out perfectly in this suggestive online arena.

In your search for a one-way ticket out of town, players wind through the town's subway stations, hospital, restrooms, experiment rooms, forests, huts, tunnels, across bridges in front of huge waterfalls, through vine-covered laboratories, and through many more areas. During your search, zombies aren't the only enemies around. Human players that die lose their turn, and their characters return in zombie form, without the other players' knowledge. Other creatures show up too. Lickers, dogs, scorpions and a host of familiar creatures from past Resident Evil games appear along with entirely new enemies. To fend off these wretched, foul things, players can't just rely on their bare hands and a swift set of feet. In another twist in RE gameplay, they can pick up objects from the ground -- brooms, lead pipes, and random other stuff -- to fend for themselves. If they're lucky they find weapons.

Opponent and civilian AI plays a significant part in this new online experiment. RE NPCs respond in numerous ways to your actions. They can help you in a fight, or likewise, you can save an NPC from being attacked, they can assist you to a new location, too. Or they can transform into zombies in front of you and attack! Sometimes, though, they might see you approach and simply run away in fear, or react according to your own actions. Again, it seems like an endless set of scenarios, all of which are good.

The new outline for survival horror has been unveiled. Capcom's first Resident Evil online game promises to indulge in zombie mayhem but more importantly, to experiment with online gameplay like few if any games have done thus far. And we are waiting like drooling zombies for the first build to play this summer. Look for a litany of upcoming updates on this promising game in the future.

Resident Evil Online is a one- to four-player cooperative online adventure game requiring the Network Adaptor and an online connection. It ships in fall 2003.
Source: IGN

Sounds good so far.

I need the rush
There's nowhere you can hide before you die
Why won't you face me?
I can see the fear that's in your eyes
Where will you run?
Where will you hide?
I see the blood drip from your eyes
Who will survive?
Let's get it on and we will fight!
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #2
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
damn this is goona be good, i read all this in a mag back in december! but this just tops it off, im going to have to get it! hopefully play with some guys/girls on this site, truely will be fun!

can you use a headset for RE online?
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by dan da man

damn this is goona be good, i read all this in a mag back in december! but this just tops it off, im going to have to get it! hopefully play with some guys/girls on this site, truely will be fun!

they say it has been in dicussion but nobody know's.
Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #4
David
Need a Bouncer?

David is on a distinguished road
Oh, I just love the new generation of online games. RE Online, here I come.

0===(====================>

To be forgotten is worse than death...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:23 AM   #5
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
i didn't read the whole thing 'cause im in a hurry, but do i have 2 pay monthly 2 play???
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #6
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by gamer

i didn't read the whole thing 'cause im in a hurry, but do i have 2 pay monthly 2 play???
Hopefully not, seeing how as games like SOCOM are free to play. But then again, the pricing is up to Capcom to decide.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #7
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by dan da man
No, the game does not support headset option. When I first heard that I was disappointed but now that I think of it, its good that HEAD SET isn't included as an option.

The game lets you talk to you mates with "Type" in messages, but there is a certain way you would be able to talk. So like that, you wouldn't know if you are talking to a HUMAN player or an AI. Which makes the game more intresting.

Any person there could become a zombie all of a sudden. And surprise you. Just like mentioned in the Article above.

I just watched the RE Online trailer on GameSpot, and man DID I LOVED THAT TRAILER! I was laughing out of JOY. It seemed sooooo freaking COOOL. I saw, one person trying to climb at a higher level as the other person shooting zombies and telling him to go up and cover him then as he climb later. Its amazing. The trailer ended up with saying "Your Best Friend Could be Your Worst Foe"......... SOUNDS BRILLIANT!

By the way, I read in Official Playstation Mag that RE Online isn't free, you will have to pay some money to play it online. In Japan is estimated at $5 to $8. With in that range. I hope it doesn't happen, cause then MAJORITY of people would run away from this game being soo expensive to play. I hope its free. I dont mind paying, but I want it TO BE FREE.

One more thing I am worried about is, going online and playing against Resident Evil Newbies.............. if that happens....... it'll be boring and more ANNOYING. I'd make sure first if the other 3 are good or not. Like someone from Ps2Fantasy..... that would be so cool!
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #8
Zone

Zone is on a distinguished road
I just downloaded that trailer, and all I can say is, "It looks f*cking awesome!"

Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake
One more thing I am worried about is, going online and playing against Resident Evil Newbies.............. if that happens....... it'll be boring and more ANNOYING. I'd make sure first if the other 3 are good or not. Like someone from Ps2Fantasy..... that would be so cool!
I'm a pretty good RE player.

I need the rush
There's nowhere you can hide before you die
Why won't you face me?
I can see the fear that's in your eyes
Where will you run?
Where will you hide?
I see the blood drip from your eyes
Who will survive?
Let's get it on and we will fight!
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #9
dan da man
Talk to the hand

yes i dont want to play with some noob! who would leave the game half way threw because they sh*t themselves! even though im not a expert at the game, i really enjoy it and luv pumping lead into zombies and all the other creatures, its really fun! and the suspence is great too.

EDIT: just seen the trailer on gamespot, looks superb! read the info on gamespot too, they did say the SOCOM headset might be in talk, but so far the communications are like "help me" just like in socom when u tell your teamates like "fire at will" its going to be a masterpeice!!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #10
DSgamer
here and there

im buying this game as soon as it comes out
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #11
David
Need a Bouncer?

Quote:
Originally Posted By MakgSnake

Yeah, it would be cool to team up with anyone here, it will show who's better. When this game comes out, I'll probally rent it, and see if any of you guys have it, and then well kick some zombie ass!
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #12
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
I know I would buy JUST simply buy this game. I dont rent games, I love buying them. I just bought like 16 games in the last 4 weeks. Damn!!!

Neways.......I bought the Network Adapter, but something was wrong, so I returned it..... I'll buy it when RE Online hits the shelves.........
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #13
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to join in all the fun. But it would be awhile before I could.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #14
tha16thletter
Chokyonim

tha16thletter is on a distinguished road
U and me both trunks, I dont have the setup for it I really dont have the money for it eitha... I would love to get online wit my PS2 but I dont forsee it in the imminent future... :-/
[]D
tha16thletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #15
dan da man
Talk to the hand

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

I'd like to join in all the fun. But it would be awhile before I could.
dont worry it will be a while b4 RE online comes out. so u have plenty of time, no rush.
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #16
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
i just got into resident evil last year only played remake,0 and RE2. it would be cool to play with somebody from ps2fantasy. but i would be so paranoid O_o if somebody gets bit i would run away from you and run post haste!! plus i think that release date if for japan not the U.S.
Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:11 AM   #17
David
Need a Bouncer?

Quote:
Originally Posted By Frostman445

but i would be so paranoid O_o if somebody gets bit i would run away from you and run post haste!!
Yeah, if that happens, I'll just blow there head off, and then again, it would only happen if you die... AH CRAP, I'll be inforced to shot your head off if one of you guys turn into a zombie, but don't worry, I won't kill unless your almost transformed into a zombie. But you will come back I think, I hope...

It makes you wonder if you wanna stick with someone if you are not sure it's a NPC, it just might transform in front of you, and man it would be freaky if your alone, and if everyone is gone and transformed into a zombie.
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:50 PM   #18
Vicious
free your mind

Vicious is on a distinguished road
Awesome
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #19
DSgamer
here and there

man, this game is gonna be one of the best online survival horror games EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe because its the only online survival horror game
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #20
Gaseous_Baboon

Gaseous_Baboon is on a distinguished road
AT first I thought "You can't tell the difference between real people and NPC's? Then what's the point of it being online at all? The whole point is to interact with other people." But after hearing all your thoughts and possible scenarios, it sounds awesome. No knowing is a perfect way to keep us in scared suspense. I may get a network adaptor when it comes out... We'll have to wait and see.
Gaseous_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote