Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Sports And Racing

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Drafter-T is on a distinguished road
Wheel or Dual Shock?

What do use to play racing games? Wheel? What brand?

I'm a wheel guy myself with the Logitech Driving Force Pro. There's not a better PS2 wheel out there. Kinda pricey, but if you love racing games, you'll love the wheel.

There was a time not too long ago that I was real comfortable with that dual shock in my hands (except that my thumb hurt like heck!), but after spending alot of time getting used to the DFP, I can't even hardly drive with that DS anymore. The wheel doesn't automatically make you a better racer, but there are lots of turns that you can make alot easier with the wheel and the pedals make it alot easier to feather the throttle and pump the brake when needed.

Get the wheel!!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #2
FATT47
Ridin Low

FATT47 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafter-T
What do use to play racing games? Wheel? What brand?

I'm a wheel guy myself with the Logitech Driving Force Pro. There's not a better PS2 wheel out there. Kinda pricey, but if you love racing games, you'll love the wheel.

There was a time not too long ago that I was real comfortable with that dual shock in my hands (except that my thumb hurt like heck!), but after spending alot of time getting used to the DFP, I can't even hardly drive with that DS anymore. The wheel doesn't automatically make you a better racer, but there are lots of turns that you can make alot easier with the wheel and the pedals make it alot easier to feather the throttle and pump the brake when needed.

Get the wheel!!
I have the Logitech DFP myself and after about 5 months of usin it I can't imagine goin back to the DS.
For some racin games the DS is ok, NASCAR with its basically left turn scenario is ok with the DS and maybe the ATV type of games is ok, but still that X button for the gas (probably the most used) gets real old after a while if ya race alot.

When I use to race with the DSC my thumb actually felt like it was dead, no feelin in it as long as I continued on a heavy racin schedule.

The DFP wheel gives a racer the feel of a real car goin into and out of turns, the control ya have compared to a DSC is amazin and like Drafter says, the pedals are vert responsive, plus they're alot better then havin numb thumbs
FATT47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATT47
I have the Logitech DFP myself and after about 5 months of usin it I can't imagine goin back to the DS.
For some racin games the DS is ok, NASCAR with its basically left turn scenario is ok with the DS and maybe the ATV type of games is ok, but still that X button for the gas (probably the most used) gets real old after a while if ya race alot.

When I use to race with the DSC my thumb actually felt like it was dead, no feelin in it as long as I continued on a heavy racin schedule.

The DFP wheel gives a racer the feel of a real car goin into and out of turns, the control ya have compared to a DSC is amazin and like Drafter says, the pedals are vert responsive, plus they're alot better then havin numb thumbs
Yeah, it probably does depend on what game you are playing. With some games the wheel seems to work better than others. Like in NT2004 and NASCAR '05, I thought the DFP was way too sensitive on the straights, but it felt really good in the corners.

Then I guess there are arcade games like Burnout 3 where the DS would still be better. Overall though, I give the wheel 2 thumbs up (thumbs that aren't sore, lol).
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #4
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
Yeah, it probably does depend on what game you are playing. With some games the wheel seems to work better than others. Like in NT2004 and NASCAR '05, I thought the DFP was way too sensitive on the straights, but it felt really good in the corners.

Then I guess there are arcade games like Burnout 3 where the DS would still be better. Overall though, I give the wheel 2 thumbs up (thumbs that aren't sore, lol).
I haven't tried the DFP with any other games besides NASCAR 2005 and now ToCA so I can't form any opinons other then with those two games.
I'd like to try it though, I'm sure when GT4 comes out we'll see the true test and hopefully the max benefit from spendin all that coin, I hope.

It might be good we don't have any more racin games then we do, I know I can't afford to have that wheel break so as long as I can make it last and not wear out the better off I am

Hey, I think a racer like WOO would be a cool game if it supported the DFP wheel?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
I haven't tried the DFP with any other games besides NASCAR 2005 and now ToCA so I can't form any opinons other then with those two games.
I'd like to try it though, I'm sure when GT4 comes out we'll see the true test and hopefully the max benefit from spendin all that coin, I hope.

It might be good we don't have any more racin games then we do, I know I can't afford to have that wheel break so as long as I can make it last and not wear out the better off I am

Hey, I think a racer like WOO would be a cool game if it supported the DFP wheel?
Hey, if we haven't broken the wheel at Bathurst in TOCA 2, then we probably won't break it, LMAO! The wheel sure does seem solid, as well it should for that kind of money.

Yeah, GT4 should be the ultimate test of the DFP, but it works so good with TOCA 2, how can it get any better?? I love the calibration options in TOCA 2 also.

I'll tell you this about WOO, I know it doesn't support a wheel, but Saturday Night Speedway does and it's pretty much the sequel to WOO. It's made by Ratbag and is set up basically the same. Anyhoo, the wheel is really super sensitive with SNS. I've got it and have tried it a few times and I just can't get past the sensitivity.

Having said that, it seems like any game that doesn't support 900 deg steering might be too sensitive with the DFP?? Just a theory, but that's been my experience. Of course, it might just be that I've gotten so used to 900 deg in TOCA, that I can't go back to the old way. 900 deg steering is the way to go, IMO.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #6
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
Hey, if we haven't broken the wheel at Bathurst in TOCA 2, then we probably won't break it, LMAO! The wheel sure does seem solid, as well it should for that kind of money.

Yeah, GT4 should be the ultimate test of the DFP, but it works so good with TOCA 2, how can it get any better?? I love the calibration options in TOCA 2 also.

I'll tell you this about WOO, I know it doesn't support a wheel, but Saturday Night Speedway does and it's pretty much the sequel to WOO. It's made by Ratbag and is set up basically the same. Anyhoo, the wheel is really super sensitive with SNS. I've got it and have tried it a few times and I just can't get past the sensitivity.

Having said that, it seems like any game that doesn't support 900 deg steering might be too sensitive with the DFP?? Just a theory, but that's been my experience. Of course, it might just be that I've gotten so used to 900 deg in TOCA, that I can't go back to the old way. 900 deg steering is the way to go, IMO.
LOL, yeah, sometimes playin ToCA I think I'm goin to snap the wheel off or turn so hard it might slip a gear on the shaft or somethin, it is build good that's for sure.

Ya know ya told me about that Saturday Night Speedway sometime back and I looked for it but I couldn't find it.
Do ya think anyone has it?, maybe EB games or ToysRus maybe?
Does it support the 900 degree or just lesser?
Man, I wish I could find that game, it isn't online though is it?

You might be right about the sensitivity with games that don't have the 900 degree thang, it was ok with NASCAR 2005 but on the road courses it wasn't as good.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
LOL, yeah, sometimes playin ToCA I think I'm goin to snap the wheel off or turn so hard it might slip a gear on the shaft or somethin, it is build good that's for sure.

Ya know ya told me about that Saturday Night Speedway sometime back and I looked for it but I couldn't find it.
Do ya think anyone has it?, maybe EB games or ToysRus maybe?
Does it support the 900 degree or just lesser?
Man, I wish I could find that game, it isn't online though is it?

You might be right about the sensitivity with games that don't have the 900 degree thang, it was ok with NASCAR 2005 but on the road courses it wasn't as good.
No, SNS doesn't support 900 deg steering, but I can't imagine you'd really need it on those dirt tracks.

I'm not sure where it might be available. I got it at Gamestop several months ago for $20, but no, it's not online. Truthfully though, I haven't played it too much. Never could get used to the sliding feeling around the turns.

You liked WOO alot more than I did though, so you might like it. I'd be surprised if you like the wheel with it though. Been wrong before...

I bet you could find it on the net somewhere if you can't find it in a store. It's not the most popular game that ever came out, so it may be hard to find in person.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #8
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
No, SNS doesn't support 900 deg steering, but I can't imagine you'd really need it on those dirt tracks.

I'm not sure where it might be available. I got it at Gamestop several months ago for $20, but no, it's not online. Truthfully though, I haven't played it too much. Never could get used to the sliding feeling around the turns.

You liked WOO alot more than I did though, so you might like it. I'd be surprised if you like the wheel with it though. Been wrong before...

I bet you could find it on the net somewhere if you can't find it in a store. It's not the most popular game that ever came out, so it may be hard to find in person.
I'm goin to the big city Mon. or Tues. I think so If I get a chance I'll check out EB games and Gamestop.
For $20 bucks it might be some different game action for a break any way.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
I'm goin to the big city Mon. or Tues. I think so If I get a chance I'll check out EB games and Gamestop.
For $20 bucks it might be some different game action for a break any way.
If you go to Gamestop's website you can find the game and then enter your zip code to see if they have it in stock. Don't know about EB since I don't have one where I'm at. It might save you some time if you can do that.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
If you go to Gamestop's website you can find the game and then enter your zip code to see if they have it in stock. Don't know about EB since I don't have one where I'm at. It might save you some time if you can do that.
Yeah, I may do that and see if it's available.
I wont have a bunch of time to spend in the city so if it works out and I can get it I will.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #11
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
Yeah, I may do that and see if it's available.
I wont have a bunch of time to spend in the city so if it works out and I can get it I will.
Don't go to too much trouble to find it FATT. Heck, for that matter, I can just send you mine to try out. Seriously, let me know in a PM or e-mail. Mine is just collecting dust anyway.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #12
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
Don't go to too much trouble to find it FATT. Heck, for that matter, I can just send you mine to try out. Seriously, let me know in a PM or e-mail. Mine is just collecting dust anyway.
Hey that's cool of ya, if ya don't mind bein without for a while that game is probably the only one at this time we both don't have LOL
I'll send ya a mailin address in an e-mail and I'll shoot the game back to ya after I check it out, great, thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #13
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
Hey that's cool of ya, if ya don't mind bein without for a while that game is probably the only one at this time we both don't have LOL
I'll send ya a mailin address in an e-mail and I'll shoot the game back to ya after I check it out, great, thanks.
Well, since the game is just serving as a dust collector on my shelf right now, I think I can spare it for a while, lol. I wouldn't do that for just anybody, but you and I have been friends long enough that I know I can trust you. Having said that though, I wouldn't send you a game that I like alot though, lol. Don't want you to get the big head or anything
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #14
Drafter-T
Dialed In

We kinda got off track on the topic for this thread, but I sure am curious to hear from other racers as to which type of controllers they use.

Also, I've noticed in the last couple of days on my Logitech DFP that when I play TOCA 2, my calibration seems to be a bit off center. It's like the wheel kinda pulls to the left a little. It doesn't seem to affect my control much, but I definitely have the sensation that I'm pulling from the left alot.

It's almost like a spring busted inside my wheel maybe?? I've tried re-calibrating it inside TOCA 2 with no luck. Maybe I need to try the calibration in GT3? I may try that next.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #15
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
We kinda got off track on the topic for this thread, but I sure am curious to hear from other racers as to which type of controllers they use.

Also, I've noticed in the last couple of days on my Logitech DFP that when I play TOCA 2, my calibration seems to be a bit off center. It's like the wheel kinda pulls to the left a little. It doesn't seem to affect my control much, but I definitely have the sensation that I'm pulling from the left alot.

It's almost like a spring busted inside my wheel maybe?? I've tried re-calibrating it inside TOCA 2 with no luck. Maybe I need to try the calibration in GT3? I may try that next.
I think we tend to get off track because we need some more views and opinions in here, what's with all the lurkers readin pushin the view count goin up and not postin some opinions, Come On Racers get in here and post!

Bummer about your wheel, try unplugin the adaptor and and replugin it, I hope your PS isn't startin to do what mine did, remember my wheel started actin up?
Have ya sent in your PS yet for the one time free fix?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #16
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
I think we tend to get off track because we need some more views and opinions in here, what's with all the lurkers readin pushin the view count goin up and not postin some opinions, Come On Racers get in here and post!

Bummer about your wheel, try unplugin the adaptor and and replugin it, I hope your PS isn't startin to do what mine did, remember my wheel started actin up?
Have ya sent in your PS yet for the one time free fix?
I'm not having any trouble with Disc Read Error, which is I think what you were having. But all this started the other night when I put in GT3 and ran a couple of races there. Then I ran a race in NT2004 and come back to TOCA and it's pulling just slightly to the left. You can even look at the wheel and see that it's just off center, maybe a 1/2 inch or so.

It doesn't affect my control any, except that I can feel it pulling a little, or I get that sensation anyway since it's off center a bit.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #17
FATT47
Ridin Low

Quote:
I'm not having any trouble with Disc Read Error, which is I think what you were having. But all this started the other night when I put in GT3 and ran a couple of races there. Then I ran a race in NT2004 and come back to TOCA and it's pulling just slightly to the left. You can even look at the wheel and see that it's just off center, maybe a 1/2 inch or so.

It doesn't affect my control any, except that I can feel it pulling a little, or I get that sensation anyway since it's off center a bit.
Well Sony told me the disc read error isn't always what happens when the lazer reader is startin to go bad, they said sometimes it just doesn't pick up some features of the game.
The disk read error is mostly attributed to the blue back discs.

Try this, when ya get into a single player ToCA race, before ya get the flag to go, pause your game and turn your wheel to the left and then turn it to the right, like more then just 90degrees each way and let it center itself each time, then see how it feels once the race starts.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #18
Drafter-T
Dialed In

Quote:
Well Sony told me the disc read error isn't always what happens when the lazer reader is startin to go bad, they said sometimes it just doesn't pick up some features of the game.
The disk read error is mostly attributed to the blue back discs.

Try this, when ya get into a single player ToCA race, before ya get the flag to go, pause your game and turn your wheel to the left and then turn it to the right, like more then just 90degrees each way and let it center itself each time, then see how it feels once the race starts.
Yeah, I tried that. Even tried going into the calibrations settings and changing it up. It's weird because it looks centered until I start the first race, then right before the green flag it kinda kicks left.

I think I'm going to go back into GT3, since that's where it started, and do the wheel calibration there, then go back to TOCA and see what happens. I may be way off base, but it's worth a shot.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #19
Drafter-T
Dialed In

I'm scratching my head about this now. I went into GT3, went straight to the wheel calibration, came out and ran a race, everything was fine. I thought it was fixed.

Went back into TOCA, got into a race and right before the green flag the wheel kicked to the left like it has been doing. Went into the TOCA calibration and turned the wheel all the way, each way. Let it come back to center on it's own and it appeared to come back to the right spot.

Went back into another race and again it kicked to the left right before the race started. Now, it's only moving about 1/2 inch, maybe even just 1/4 inch left when it does it. Not much, but it's just enough that it kinda feels weird when I steer. But it didn't start doing that until just a couple of days ago.

It's got to be a calibration issue with TOCA, right? But I come out of the calibration with everything looking just right. I'm lost on this one. I may try some of my other racing games just to see what they do.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #20
Drafter-T
Dialed In

I contacted Codemasters about this and here is what they told me:

In the controller options, turn the wheel full lock right and then full lock
left. This should solve the problem.

However if it doesn't, centre your wheel and then reset your Playstation
making sure that your wheel remains centred.

I've tried turning full lock in the calibration with no luck. When I get home tonight I'll try centering it and resetting the PS2. I'm pretty sure I've done that already, but not necessarily intentionally, so I'll give it another shot tonight.

Last edited by Drafter-T; Jan 18th, 2005 at 09:17 AM..
Drafter-T is offline   Reply With Quote