Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Jubei
||escape||reality||

Jubei is on a distinguished road
Question Confused

Ok i downloaded a SNES emulator for the early Final Fantasy's. The roms I got where FF 1 - 6. But when I unzipped them, FF1-3 where for the SNES, FF4 was really FF2, FF5 was for once FF5, and FF6 was FF3. er wtf?

I heard something about the states not getting some FF's, but I'm still lost as to wtf is going on

Could some1 fill me in please.

[color=light blue]courage[/color]=respect respect=[color=light blue]honor[/color]

Last edited by Jubei; Jul 28th, 2003 at 06:01 PM..
Jubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #2
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
FF6 is FF3
and i think FF4 was FF2 in the states because real FF4 never came 2 US 'till they ported it on ps1
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #3
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
you shouldn't really mention Emulation in the forum as such... Just promise me that you're just using the emulator as the only way you're ever going to try out the game before you rush out and buy it. Right? Ok!

I'll try and explain the FF numbering problem... please tell me if you're confused. I'll mention only the relevent releases (many of the FF games have been published as many as 4 times). So you can identify them by Playing, i'll mention something about the beginning of the story. (BTW, the "NES" is actually the "Famicom" in Japan, but NES is shorter ^_^)

> Final Fantasy 1 [NES, WSC, PS1]:
Released as "Final Fantasy" in both Japan and the US on the NES.
- Four Light Warriors, all without names, save the world a bit. First enemy was called Garland, and he threatened to "Knock You Down"

> Final Fantasy 2 [NES, WSC, PS1]:
Released as "Final Fantasy II" in Japan on the NES. There was no US release until FF Origins came out this year.
- The game begins with 4 friends on the run from a group of Knights. They fight you, and you loose very badly. Leonheart goes missing, and the game begins....

> Final Fantasy 3 [NES]
Released as "Final Fantasy III" on NES. Never released in the US or indeed outside of Japan. A Wonderswan Colour (WSC) version was planned, but Square's improved relations with Nintendo stopped Development on it. Whether the FF3 remake emerges for GBA or PS1 remains to be seen.
- Four Young Boys (affectionatly known as "Onion Knights") go on a mission to save the world's crystals. It was the first FF to use a true "Job" system (which can also be found in FF5, FFTactics, FF Tactics Advance and FFX-2).

> Final Fantasy IV [SNES, PS1, WSC]
Released as "Final Fantasy IV" for the SNES (Super Famicom) in Japan. The US version was however called "Final Fantasy II", as The real FF 2 and 3 had not been released (and no plans to release them were forthcoming). When the PS1 version was released (in Final Fantasy Chronicles, alongside Chrono Trigger), they did however correct the numbering problem. Also, the "FFII" the US got wasn't exactly like FFIV - the jobs that the characters have are less in number, and the enemies easier. Squaresoft believed that American gamers would find the original version too hard! (FFII USA is often referred to as "FFIV Easytype").
- Cecil, Dark Knight and Commander of the Redwings questions why King Baron is taking the world's Crystal's by force. The result is that he is demoted and sent to deliver a package to the Summoner Village, assisted by his Dragoon pal Kain...

> Final Fantasy V [SNES, PS1]
Released in Japan as "Final Fantasy V". An American Version was planned (to be titled FF3), but slow development times caused the project to be halted in favour of FF6 as the US's FF3. [work on FF5 wasn't stopped completely: it was to be renamed "FF Extreme" and ported to the PC. It never happened though.]
FFV finally got a US release under the name of "Final Fantasy V" in the PS1 Package "Final Fantasy Anthology" (alongside FFVI)
- Meteors are raining from the sky and the Crystals of the world are shattering, causing the basic elements of the world to cease. These events bring together Bartz (Butz), the adventurer, Galuf, the old (memory kaputed) warrior, Reina, the Princess of Tycoon and Faris the Pirate. They go on a quest to prevent the destruction of the crystals...

> Final Fantasy VI [SNES, PS1]
Released as Final Fantasy VI in Japan on the SNES. On the same system, it was released as "Final Fantasy III" in the US. When re-released for PS1, it was rightfully renamed "Final Fantasy VI" in the US (in FF Anthology)
- By order if the Empire of Gesthal, Two Soldiers and a Mysterious girl, supposedly capable of the ancient and dead art of "Magic" go to investigate reports of the exitsence of a frozen Esper, a remenant from the War of the Magi 1000 years ago, in the Coal Mining town of Narshe...

> Final Fantasy VII [PS1]
this is as far as we go, but its worth noting that when Sony got their hands on the FF games, they decided to name them according to their Japanese numbers. Consequently, when Everyone in the US picked up Final Fantasy VII and played it to death, it dawned on them that somewhere along the way, FFIV - VI were missing (they were wrong of course - FFII, III and V were).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be Specific, you're having so much trouble because of the part the Internet played in the mid ninetees. FF fans who were "in the know" about the numbering system took action, and translated the games themselves. Many people were able to play through FFV before it was even released in the US, and some would argue that the Internet Translations were better than the American ones. Some proved the point by Translated the games that we already had (FF1, FF2, and FF3) all over again. Alledgedly, Relm from FF6 uses the word S***head. and shes 10.

What that means to you then, is that its very hard to find the FFs. The moral of the story is that, with 5 of the 6 Nintendo games now out on the PS1 (US and Europe inclusive), you have zero excuse for not buying them.

Last edited by kupoartist; Jul 29th, 2003 at 01:53 PM..
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #4
Brit

Brit is on a distinguished road
interested to know whether they've upped the graphics tho, since its moved to ps1 i mean?
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
There's one thing you missed, FFIV in FFChronicles was the origional version released in Japan. They might have been right with that one, I was unable to beat the last boss without a code. I don't feel like getting my characters to max right now, that might be the only way I CAN beat it.

As for Brit's question, FF1 and FF2's graphics were upgraded from the origional 8-bits to 16-bits. I think they left the graphics the same for FFIV and CT in FFC the same and I can't say anything about Anthology cause I never played it.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #6
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Whoops... I kind of didn't make the reinstatement of Hardtype clear... though I did say that only the US "ffII" was the Easytype version. Not that important anyway. I mean, my whole post isn't really that important either... I just like blabbing

The SNES games (FFIV-VI) were ported to the PS1 with Zero enhancements. The only even remotely significant changes are that you get some FMVs at the beginning and end of the games (by today's standards, they're not too hot, but not terrible either) and some significant slow down with simple transitions in battles (1 second pauses as it loads a list of a Characters available magic - all down to the use of CDs rather than Cartrdiges.)

FF1 and 2 get the FMVs also, and on the PS1 are boosted to a Graphical level of the later SNES releases. However, they are in fact just ports of the Wonderswan Colour versions of the same games, with a bit of work done on the screen ratios and such. Also, There was a Wonderswan Colour Version of FF4 which featured updated graphics ("field screen" sprites were the same as the high detail battle sprites for instance.)
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote