Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #1
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up FFX-2 Famitsu Review (Including others)

Source: RPGamer

Quote:
First off, the Famitsu reviews of the game break down as follows:

Hige: 9/10

It's worth buying
The battles are too complex
As a sequel, the story could have been better.

Kissy: 8/10
It's built around an assumed knowledge of FFX.
Issues regarding how long you can pause the game during battles.
All the dressing up seems to be condescending towards the audience.
The movies are worth a look

Cisco: 8/10
It doesn't feel quite up to the FF standard; they should have put more effort into it.
The individual stories are fortunately enjoyable.

Haneda: 9/10
A piercing story
They have the gall to attach the FF name to game where the victory theme isn't the same as the rest of the series.
Busted a hip looking at the "explosive" opening movie. [ed: OK, Haneda.]

The FFX summons make their appearance, and power has been poured into the dress up scenes, so there is much time devoted to the changes, and many digressions.

Overall, these scores total 34/40, which merits Famitsu's Gold Award. It is worth noting that this does not necessarily indicate a game is stellar; for instance, Vagrant Story, a game whose reputation did not necessarily meet up with the standard suggested by the score subsequent to its release, received 40/40 from the magazine. The next set of scores come from Zabure, another Japanese publication.

10/10:
The gloominess of previous Final Fantasies is swept away by the opening movie.
Unlinear, much along the lines of the Saga series.
A lighthearted story is balanced with an unaffected and sincere game system.

9/10:
The expressions and movements seem to have stiffened up a little.
It's not necessary to have played FFX
The opening is required viewing!

8/10:
A completely different game from FFX
Since you can do many things from the very beginning, unless you take your time dropping by places along your way, you probably won't recognize how good the game really is.
Finally, writers at Dorimaga had this to say about the game, along with the following five ratings out of ten:

9/10, 8/10, 9/10, 10/10, 9/10

The new system has been well integrated into the game.
The extremely tactical battles are fascinating.
At first, the game appears to be quite difficult, but as you grow accustomed to the system, you're able to put the tactics that you come up with into use more efficiently.

The cheerful ambience of the story is a complete change from FFX.
The tutorials are very helpful.
Even if you haven't played FFX, there are explanations everywhere, so you don't need to worry.
There's no need for saving up.
There are explanations for each character upon their introduction, which we agree is a good idea.
Even though there are only three players in the party, without opportunity for changing like in FFX, the Dress-Up system creates the sensation of playing with a much larger cast of characters.

It's well balanced; just enough detail without being overly picky.
We like how no infantile characters appear for the sake of trying to suit everybody's tastes, like in many RPGs.

There isn't any compatibility with the Broadband unit, but the loading times can be drastically cut down by using hard drive,creating a pleasant stress-less gaming experience.

Gamers in Japan will be able to give their own opinions on FFX-2 firsthand starting Thursday, when the game will be released there. Though a North American release is expected, one has yet to be confirmed.
Not too shabby...
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
The game sounds like it has great graphics and a great opening movie with a good battle system and story.

Quote:
There isn't any compatibility with the Broadband unit, but the loading times can be drastically cut down by using hard drive,creating a pleasant stress-less gaming experience.
That's impressive.

The game hasn't made me excited. FFX didn't make me excited. I thought FFX was too small (Maybe because you just punched in the coordinates at your ship and you were taken there unlike previous FFs) The story didn't appeal to me (It made some sense to me) And I didn't like any of the characters except Auron. The fact that your party is made up of mostly women, for a change, makes me a little interested. I wanna know if there is a status effect called PMS. It would work like berserk has in previous RPGs.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM   #3
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
I don't really want to play it. I'm a hard core Final Fantasy fan, but I think this game is treading into a no-fly zone. I think deep inside, Square knows how wrong "Final Fantasy" was as a title for Final Fantasy X. They know it was too weird a game to be labeled that, and they realized that following Spirits Within, they're throwing the title around too much, so in turn they decided that making a sequel might make up for Final Fantasy X's mistakes.

What's the point of having a mystical, fantasy quest to save the world, if the ending still leaves you depressed? Every Final Fantasy has had a happy ending, and every Final Fantasy should have a happy ending.

After hearing Cloud's life story, I thought there was no way he could end his journey with happiness, but he did. After Aeris died how could you imagine things being good for him? But they were.

With Final Fantasy X, it was more that things weren't so bad throughout the game, and gradually got better. Then out of nowhere at the end,
Spoiler: show
Tidus is dead, so is Auron, and Yuna is alone
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:08 AM   #4
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Hero

I don't really want to play it. I'm a hard core Final Fantasy fan, but I think this game is treading into a no-fly zone. I think deep inside, Square knows how wrong "Final Fantasy" was as a title for Final Fantasy X. They know it was too weird a game to be labeled that, and they realized that following Spirits Within, they're throwing the title around too much, so in turn they decided that making a sequel might make up for Final Fantasy X's mistakes.
I feel sorry for Squaresoft - it seems they're damned if they do and damned if they don't... 'Fans' moan that the FF's are becoming too 'samey' - yet they kick up a fuss when they try something different (see Fantasy VIII, Final & Fantasy X, Final).

For what my opinion is worth, I happened to think FFX is one of the best, up there with VII & VI in my view.

Final Fantasy games share common themes and ideals - and that's why X is an FF game, whereas Chrono Cross isn't...
Quote:
What's the point of having a mystical, fantasy quest to save the world, if the ending still leaves you depressed? Every Final Fantasy has had a happy ending, and every Final Fantasy should have a happy ending.
Does every film have a happy ending? No. Then why should every FF? I thought it made a nice change to have an FF end on a more sombre note - besides, I wouldn't exactly say the ending to VII was overly cheery, nor the ending to VI... If you want clarification as to why I feel this way then ask and I will, cos otherwise I can't be bothered using the spoiler tags...

Personally I'm looking forward to FFX-2. Besides VII, it's the only FF I've ever played where I really wanted to know what happens afterwards...

- S
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #5
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
I'd play FFX-2 just to see how the situation between the characters works out, especiall woth the whole Tidus and Yuna thing.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #6
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
am i the only one who thinks that the Famitsu reviewers' remarks don't reflect the relatively high score they've given to the game? For instance:
"Hige: 9/10

It's worth buying
The battles are too complex
As a sequel, the story could have been better."

too me, 9 out of possible 10 means that a game is standing at the door of perfection and waving a flag saying "let me in!". Yet, the most positive comment given is that "its worth playing". "Worth Playing" doesn't mean anything (and yes I appreciate that that is only a translation - yet the other comments are pretty negative)... The first FFX was "worth playing", but that didn't stop me leaving it about 9/10ths of the way through because I simply didn't care. It doesn't help my opinion that the characters I did like, are seemingly not much more than NPCs in this one...

Worth Playing then... I can wait, but I still get it for sure...
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #7
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

And from the good ol' Magic Box...

Quote:
Japanese retailers reported that Square's masterpiece RPG Final Fantasy X-2 has sold 1.2 million units in the first day of release
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #8
Hero
Lost Hero

LOL.

We don't play games to escape from our lives, just so the games can have sad endings too. Well at least I don't.

If me and a girl are having problems, I'll play Star Ocean 2 or Thousand Arms, so I can feel up about women.

I play Final Fantasy X and hope to see Tidus finally get Yuna in his arms on a more respectable note... But no, it doesn't work that way.

I wanted Cloud to overcome his inner-conflict with Sephiroth and his doubts of himself, and alas, at the end of that game he did.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #9
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
https://www.tokyopia.com/reviews.asp?reviewsid=53 weren't quite so kind... there are a few spoilers, but i'm sure some of you don't really mind.

basically what it says are: the whole "3 partee girls!" thing smells of cheese, the game is full of recycled stuff that was in the last game (many of the locations are the same - without spoilers), the "dressing up" (job like FF5 / T) is restricted and even requires you to constantly swap in battle (ick!), the platform elements are terribly implemeted and that Uematsu's FFX soundtrack really doesn't look so bad now. Oh and they did find it enjoyable. Just not worth the hype. (and lets face it, anything with FF on the box is a cash in, regardless of whether it is good)

sadly, it sounds a lot worse than i was anticipating. i will play it to actually have my own opinions of course... but that is a long time away
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #10
Hero
Lost Hero

Thanks artist! That's the best FFX2 review I've seen thus-far!!! My day just got better!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #11
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
good scores

DigiMortal
- I'll be getting it.

https://ryochan.free.fr/video/fight/ffx2_valufore.mpg
https://ryochan.free.fr/video/fight/f...amut_fight.mpg
https://ryochan.free.fr/video/summons...bo_special.mpg

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:36 AM   #12
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

Quote:
Okay, now back to cosmetics. This is an RPG about three teenage girls. They act like three teenage girls. Yuna is the popular track star. Rikku is the jailbait freshman. Paine is the goth. Paine has no back story as of yet but she probably sculpts or cuts herself or something.
lol I found that quite amusing...yet somewhat sad if you really think about it.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #13
Kimahri

Kimahri is on a distinguished road
I mean if you don't buy the game, you are not a true ff fan, even though the game might suck to you, you want to have the complete collection don't you. And I also heard *not really a spoiler, but I just am going to make it*

Spoiler: show
There is a huge twist, and this is not given to anybody that posts about ffx-2. Its suprising and makes worth buying. You will not find this info in any cheat site, or whatever you go to.
Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote