Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Hardware Forums » PlayStation Support

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:15 AM   #21
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

Pimp_Daddy507 is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm.......interesting

Metal Gear Solid 2 pushed out a staggering 19 mil. polygons per sec at at a smooth frame rate of 60. Although not pushed to its limits, thats a great example of what you'll see if the ps2 was pushed to its full power.

As for Xbox, u aint wanna see what dat'll look like at full power.......trust me!

more power, more work, developers wanna release games as quick as possible to make more income, thats life
Pimp_Daddy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:58 AM   #22
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

KraftSLU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Pimp_Daddy507
Hmmmm.......interesting

Metal Gear Solid 2 pushed out a staggering 19 mil. polygons per sec at at a smooth frame rate of 60. Although not pushed to its limits, thats a great example of what you'll see if the ps2 was pushed to its full power.

As for Xbox, u aint wanna see what dat'll look like at full power.......trust me!

more power, more work, developers wanna release games as quick as possible to make more income, thats life
19 million?! Where did you get this number from? I've been searching the net and the only estimate I found was that it barely pushed 10 million in certain parts of the game. In fact, the most prevolent news I found about MGS2 is the fact that the developer thought the ps2 didn't have enough power for what it was dealing with.

Quote:
Even Hideo Kojima, the demi-god behind PS2's flagship title Metal Gear Solid 2, has optimistically expressed issues with the hardware: "When PlayStation 2 was first announced, Sony said you could get Hollywood movie graphics quality, and that is true. But if we tried to create Metal Gear Solid 2 trying to maintain that quality of graphics throughout the game ... we cannot do it. If you take a game like Tekken Tag (a fighting game from Namco) where you have only two models and rendered backgrounds, you can probably do it. But with Metal Gear Solid and its 3-D environment, you just cannot do it."
https://cube.ign.com/articles/083/083775p1.html
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:00 PM   #23
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

ehhh, i lied

but not about the framrate!!!!

anyway, ps2 is the worst in gfx wise, thats the truth....so if ur goin for gfx, xbox all the way
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #24
ludaman99
Ludaman

Location: its 10:00 clock do you know where your kids are ?????
ludaman99 is on a distinguished road
actually that is not really true it depends on the game and i know that the ps2 graphics are not bad. look at a game like gt3 compared to some other Xbox or Gc games that one game can make a lot of them look like crap.
ludaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:22 PM   #25
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by ludaman99
actually that is not really true it depends on the game and i know that the ps2 graphics are bad. look at a game like gt3 compared to some other Xbox or Gc games that one game can make a lot of them look like crap.
yeah, gt3 car models are amazing, but thats mainly because they let the background go to crap... a lot of the background looks quite... cardboard cutoutish, especially when compared to new age games like rallisport challenge on the box, which has beautiful car models and an amazing landscape.
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #26
Ice Cold
The Tag Collector

Ice Cold is on a distinguished road
Hey Now

Don't be disin GT3. That is a great game and should never be talked of inappropriately. J/k

The only thing I saw wrong with GT3 was the fact that it's too freakin long!!!

A 100 lap race? I mean come on, this isn't nascar (Which I dispise and revoke it's claim to be a sport).

Semper Fi!
Ice Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:08 PM   #27
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by KraftSLU
LoL! Why do people keep saying that the xbox is more pc like? From what I see, you can add hardware upgrades to the PS2, the PS2 has a mouse and keyboard you can use, and the PS2 lets you connect via a modem, all of which are more like a PC than the Xbox ever will be.
Krafts, nothing to laugh here. People are not speaking of peripherals, but of architecture of the system. It's not what you see, but what is inside.

Everybody knows that the Xbox has an architecture like the one of a PC; Bill Gates was proud of this solution because PC developers would have had no problems developing for this system.

The Ps2, on the other hand, is based on a completely different concept; there is an EXCELLENT article on the unique Ps2 architecture at Arstechnica.com. Great stuff.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:11 PM   #28
Pimp_Daddy507
Banned

uhhhhh, ya, what that harry guy said........listen to him
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:26 PM   #29
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry

Krafts, nothing to laugh here. People are not speaking of peripherals, but of architecture of the system. It's not what you see, but what is inside.

Everybody knows that the Xbox has an architecture like the one of a PC; Bill Gates was proud of this solution because PC developers would have had no problems developing for this system.

The Ps2, on the other hand, is based on a completely different concept; there is an EXCELLENT article on the unique Ps2 architecture at Arstechnica.com. Great stuff.
Half true and half not. While, yes, the xbox uses computer parts, it does not make it any more of a computer than the ps2 is. Is a Macintosh more of a computer than the PC? No, its just a different Kind. All systems have a CPU (like a computer), A GPU (like a computer), a system bus that connects the cpu, gpu and ram (like a computer), a data input medium, usually dvd (like a computer) and various other parts. It just so happens that the PS2 is a lot more like the Macintosh computer in the way it's graphics engine is set up than the XBox (ouch... the ps2 is like a mac... sorry for saying that). But it is no less a pc than the xbox.

Regardless, none of these systems will ever be considered computers for the main reason of them being "consoles" that sit in your living room and primarily use controllers. Whys this? For the same reason you won't see me hooking up a controller to my PC and trying to call it a 'console'.
Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:13 PM   #30
Ice Cold
The Tag Collector

Ice Cold is on a distinguished road
*Snooze *Snooze *Snooze Wha....huh? (I awake, while wiping the drool from my mouth I try to remember were I am)

Listen Up Kraft. It is obvious that there is a difference between PS2, GC and Xbox. Sony and Nintendo actually spent some time making their systems have a unique look. GC is compact. PS2 looks awsome while verticle. Xbox on the other hand is a somewhat big Box (probably the largest gaming console). Simple as that. No one here is arguing over system specs. Let me put it in plan English.

Architecture- "The science, art, or profession of designing and constructing buildings bridges, ect.

The people at Microsoft do lack in architectural skills.

Quote:
It just so happens that the PS2 is a lot more like the Macintosh computer in the way it's graphics engine is set up than the XBox
You obviosly consider a PC better than a Mac. (I do to.) Macintosh has been doing great lately not because of their CPU but because people like the way they look. (iMac, iPod, G4 desktop)

Semper Fi!
Ice Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:39 AM   #31
ludaman99
Ludaman

nope

Quote:
LoL! Why do people keep saying that the xbox is more pc like? From what I see, you can add hardware upgrades to the PS2, the PS2 has a mouse and keyboard you can use, and the PS2 lets you connect via a modem, all of which are more like a PC than the Xbox ever will be.
Like u said The ps2 is more like a pc only if u add Hardware to it. With the Xbox it comes already made to go on the internet burn cds and other pc like things.What i meant was the Xbox was more like a pc coming straight out of the Box. Then the Ps2
Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:18 AM   #32
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

I really have no idea what anyone is talking about anymore. So lets just wrap a couple of things up.

1. The xbox is not a pc, whether or not it can rip tracks from CDs (not burn, it also can't access the internet for that). The PS2 and GC are also not PCs for the same reason the XBox isn't.

2. Umm... I didn't say anything about the styling of the system, that one caught me by suprise. I made the reference to the mac because both the Mac and the PS2 have very unique GPU setups. The Mac's architechture is great for video editing and graphics processing... though for a lot of things it sucks. Same for the PS2, it does some things great (particale effects amaze me)... but other things, poly counts, it doesn't do nearly as well as the other systems... were we even talking about this earlier? I really don't know anymore...
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:17 PM   #33
ludaman99
Ludaman

i know that the Xbox is not a pc almost everyone does its called an Xbox not pcbox.
I dont know where the styling of the system came in either must have the wrong thread.
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #34
Jimothy

Jimothy is on a distinguished road
bond does not seem to have a very good AI.

anyway, i don't know if any of you have played gta3, but my ps2 has trouble rendering it during the game sometimes. i think the full potential is not too far away.
Jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:04 PM   #35
ludaman99
Ludaman

i doubt that the only reason that happens is because that world is so big

And welcome to the forums !
Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:33 AM   #36
caliko

caliko is on a distinguished road
Playstation 2 is a pure gaming console with lots of quality games and very good periferials.It is older than xbox and gc and it have not the power the other two have!
But the power is not allways maters but the games.
A console is succesfull if it has a lots of quality games!!
caliko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:24 PM   #37
ludaman99
Ludaman

i agree but its not a pure gaming console it can be used for other things as well. I think the GC is a pure gaming console.
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:56 AM   #38
Sid554
The Silent Killer

Sid554 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ludaman99
i know that the Xbox is not a pc almost everyone does its called an Xbox not pcbox.

I used to think of the xbox as PC-like......before I actually played it. I think this is probably the deal for most people who say this-they've never played it or haven't played it much. The truth is all consoles are PC-like(component-wise), just to varying degrees of sophistication.
Sid554 is offline   Reply With Quote