Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM   #1
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
WHY!!!(Favorite anime)

I'm always having arguments with SSSnake about why DBZ isn't the greatest anime of all time, and why I feel that there are others that I think are better. We end up comming to a draw with each of us saying that the anime that we like best is the greatest and that's that.

I'd like everyone to state their absolute favorite anime. Only one. And along with that, I want you to say why you like it so much. What makes it so much beter than all of the others. Plot, Character development, Animation and drawing quality, Story line, fight scenes, drama, comedy, or suprize twists.

Say your favorite and then why. And you may only say one.

This will help me find out why some of you like the animes you like, and maybe learn something cool about an anime that you thought was retarded.

I'll post my favorite later, and the stats and all. And just because of what I say about DBZ, don't be discouraged to post that as your fav, just tell me why, and please, I'd like everyone to also say something that they think could be inproved with the anime. Just to show me that you put actual thought to your answer.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #2
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
I have way too many favourites, but I think right now it would probably be FLCL ( Furi Kuri ) , beating out my old favourite, Cowboy Bebop (at least for the time being).

I really like it for a bunch of reasons.

First, the animation is really unique, stylistic, and clean. It's all done digitally but it doesn't really looks overly digital (if you follow me). The character design is great, and the animation is really fluid and innovative (in the first and last OVA, the transition to manga panels is incredibly well done).

The plot is also really great. It's different from any other anime out right now, for sure. Some people hate it because it's so strange, or hard to follow, but I like it for just that reason. It toys with the whole genre and keeps you engaged with the characters throughout the whole story. Naota is a great character, because he's so realistic. The homeless girl, Mamimi is also excellent, as she is believable and envokes emotion, as she is tragic and quite lonely. Haruko is interesting too. The things she does in the show keep it really intersting. Also the minor characters and how they appear (TV Boy, etc.) are good for the storyline.

The comedy in the show is great, and just absurd enough that it doesn't seem stupid, and the dramatic parts are well done.

Hmm . . . that's all I can say I think.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:53 PM   #3
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
I saw cannibal precious Cowboy bebop and i thought it was pretty boring.DBZ had much better plot and character development.But this im my opinion others may think different

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:07 PM   #4
Reid
.red house.

Well, you have to watch all of Cowboy Bebop to really see the characters develop.

It's really good once you get deeper into it.
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:11 PM   #5
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

I'm not saying its all bad i watched about 4 episodes and there wasnt enough stuff going on.Im the type that thrives for action.Thats why my 2 favorite anime series are gundam wing and dbz because they always have something happening.But yeah cowboy bebop isnt bad,by no means i just don't think its for me

Social Networks
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #6
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
About DBZ: SSSnake, let me say there isn't much to develop in that anime. Recurring aspects, both for plot and characters and also always the same situations....DBZ is the most commercial anime series I've ever watched and also it's aimed to a younger audience than the one of more mature anime series like Cowboy Bebop. DBZ is a serial product made only to please the audience and there isn't much invention in it after the first part of the series.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #7
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Ok just because dbz is on cartoon network doesnt mean its for kids.I dont know what you mean be recurring plots because thats new to me and how much of the series have you watched.To enjoy dbz you should watch from the beginning.Anyways i agree with some things you say and disagree with others.

Social Networks
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #8
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

With younger audience i mean the themes and subjects contained in that anime are not much complex and deep as the ones contained in more mature anime series.
Mainly people who like DBZ are younger than the ones who like other anime, that's also why I'm telling it's for younger audience.
I've watched all DB series (DB, DBZ, DB Gt) so I know what I'm talking about, and I found it very repetitive and boring after some episodes. It lacks of invention IMO. They always repeat the same things and it's frustrating for someone who wants more from an anime series. If it's new for you, it's better for you to watch the whole thing before saying it's more impressive than Cowboy Bebop, which has an amazing story, amazing and realistic characters, excellent atmosphere and moving situations, not forgetting the great soundtrack.
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #9
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Like i said before i saw Cowboy bebop and it was enough for me.I did not like it period.Very boring i thought.As for dbz think what you must.I like you dont have to ,ok.Your not changing my mind.So you made your points,now let other post there viewpoints on the thread.

Social Networks
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #10
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Argh! This is a tough one. I'm having a dilemna whether to say Rurouni Kenshin or Fruits Basket. They're both so good! Well...Rurouni Kenshin would have to be my all time fav. but as for right now...I would have to say Fruits Basket is. The characters are well-developed; the main character, Honda Tohru, is the core of the Sohma family who she's living with. She's not an airhead, but she can be ditzy at times. This anime shows the progression of the characters as they go from being lonely and shut out from the world, to being open and more cheerful because of her. It's really a shoujo, but there are not so many "lovey-dovey" parts, because the main conflict is about lonliness and the Sohma's family with their Jyunnishi problem and the Sohma clan leader, Akito-san. This is a slight light-hearted anime, but there are plently of emotional parts as well. It's not entirely action-based, there are the occasional martial arts fights between Yuki and Kyo, but that slowly dies down because of Tohru. So you won't be seeing guns, killing, nothing like that. I'm not sure how to describe it fully....this anime is something you'll have to watch for yourself in order to judge it. I, personally, love it to death because I enjoy watching these types of anime that doesn't involve action at every corner. Not saying I don't like action, but this is just something different. Well, if you're not a fan of these types, then I suggest you don't watch it, otherwise you'll be coming to me and complaining about how boring it is. I haven't seen it all, only up to episode 19 out of the 26, so I can't tell you how it ends, but so far....it's really, really good.
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #11
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

I'm not forcing anyone, and I think I didn't say you're not free to post your opinions
I saw there was a discussion opened and I wanted to give my opinion.
First of all Cowboy Bebop is not my fave anime. I thought it wasn't good to say Cowboy Bebop is boring after seeing only 4 eps of it. I didn't like some of CB eps as well, but when you watch the whole show you know what this anime is about.

BTW, Evangelion is my fave anime of all times. I really got involved after the first two episodes and I was curious to know why in Japan the audience was so impressed when it first came out. It's a very peculiar anime, and I can't think of a similar one.
It has very complicated aspects in the plot (they used myths and elements of different religions, for example regarding the Angels and the EVAs) and it's also very introspective in some parts. But it has also action and humor.
I love more or less all the main characters, and the way their personalities evolve during the story.
I found in it gloomy atmospheres and I also thought it's somewhat depressing, and I was disturbed when I first saw some episodes, especially when the Unit 01 acts in a certain way, but I was never annoyed. Also, I like very much the style (the mecha design is mind blowing) and Sadamoto's character's design.
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:47 PM   #12
Reid
.red house.

I found the same thing with Dragonball/Z/GT as Rei.

The fights just seem to go on for too long and, while the characters do develop it takes a much longer time.
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:56 PM   #13
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Thats what keeps you coming back to the series though the long drawn out battles and the how the action builds up and then leaves it off all of a sudden.Anyways im in a lose lose situation i got not allys here

Social Networks
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #14
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake
Anyways im in a lose lose situation i got not allys here
If you got no allies here, you have too many allies around the world...otherwise Akira Toriyama wouldn't be so rich and DBZ and DB GT wouldn't be so terribly long
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:03 PM   #15
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Hay i like the lenght of the Dragon ball saga others might not but i do.

Social Networks
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:15 PM   #16
Ruby Moon
The Cynical Clone

Ruby Moon is on a distinguished road
It's hard to choose only one anime among all the ones I love.
I'll probably pick Trigun. Only recently I could watch the whole series, but I fell in love with it
Especially the couple Vash/Wolfwood is the best I've ever seen in anime. I like the way this anime can mix together ironic and funny moments with serious or emotional ones. I like the setting (kinda sci-fi western, isn't it?), very original, and the suspense that keep you stuck to the series till the end. I suggest to those who haven't seen Trigun to find a way to give a look at it. I doubt you will be disappointed

*maybe spoilers*

I also like the way the relationship Vash/Knives is revealed, very slowly. The way Vash is attracted and scared by the presence of Knives is probably one of the best aspects they put in the story, especially because it also involves many other strange characters that are particulary interesting (ex. Legato Bluesummers, who I thought to be the main villain for a long period :p).
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #17
BowevelJoe
ShakeandBakeMasta!

BowevelJoe is on a distinguished road
Ssnake you gotta admit after the first 200 eps it does get a little dry, i mean its the same thing happening over and over, a bigger badder guy pops up, they increase power levels, a couple of people get killed, they defeat him, they bring some dead friends back to life, and then bam, theres another foe trying to destroy earth or collect all of the dragon balls

Cowboy Bebop was a sweet anime, and i liked it alot, but i wouldnt say it was my favorite anime, just a well thought out and had a lot of money put into it.

Eva was a great anime series, really really head trippy, but i liked it, as was Lain, really depressing and a head trip too, but hey if you ever watch a normal anime, heck, your not watching anime

I liked Trigun, it was funny as heck, the characters rocked, and it was just an all around great anime, probably a bit goofy for some people but i liked it, i like a good comedy

Ah My Goddess, a really short series and really girly but it was so dang funny..its another good series to check out, short, but good
Eater of Peenut butta!
BowevelJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:47 PM   #18
007_JamesBond
Angel of Darkness

007_JamesBond is on a distinguished road
I do not think that the first 200 eps were at all boring, well maybe a little but not pointless all the eps lead up to what will happen next in the series and with out that we would not have the rest of the series

victory comes to those who want it the most

i am only mearly surviving
007_JamesBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #19
Evil Parrot
The Cyber Jebus!

Evil Parrot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake
Hay i like the lenght of the Dragon ball saga others might not but i do.
Dont worry mate, I love DBZ too

The length of the sagas is what makes the final battle more amazing. You can call me shallow if you want, but its just like the rocky movies, all the training, getting stronger and facing the big boss at the end. After all, isnt that what you do in RPG's? And a lot of people here seem to love them...
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:23 PM   #20
JC Denton
HERO!

JC Denton is on a distinguished road
yeh, i love dragonball and rpg's. db gives alot of build up to the big fight which is really effective, i like that. dragon ball z is the only anime i like at the moment, but i haven't seen much so i cant say i dont like anything else, but so far i have managed to hate digimon, yu gi oh and pokemon asn tenchi, but i have yet to see things like sailormoon.