Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yay or Nay?
Yay 6 27.27%
Nay 15 68.18%
Eh? @__@ 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #1
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry Help me, I say! Erm - I mean, Poll!

What do you all think about the Death Penalty?

There are many issues regarding this controversial topic. Issues such as clemency, cost, deterrence, juveniles, innocence, victims, ect. have all been the reasons for heated debates. Many times these "ethical" issues are more heavily focused on, than are the actual facts, such as crimes punishable by the death penalty, executions, sentencing and even the history of the death penalty itself.

All in all, whether your conclusion is prescriptive or descriptive, tell about it.

Do you support this maximum penalty? Do you think it is "fair/right"? Are you against it? Also... please tell us why you chose to believe what you believe.

happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Capital punishment is completely wrong. The major problems that I see with the Death Penalty are based around the sheer hypocrisy of taking a life in exchange for a life, the margins of error that can and do occur during trial and the fact that imprisonment is a lot more nasty anyway.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3
missingno

missingno is on a distinguished road
Well~ even though i am an angry, violent person, i'll have to say that im against the death penalty~

people that kill other people dont deserve to die ...they deserve to rot in prison to think about what they have done for as long as they live...
and they should send them all to an island where they cant escape.
missingno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #4
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
I voted yay ... but only under certain circumstances... not for all crimes and stuff... but yeah... i will do more on this later... cause i am late for getting to work.. gotta go....

*hops in car*

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
I'm strongly against it. Law shouldn't use power to "eliminate" human beings that committed crimes against others. Problems can't be solved by eliminating them like that. Justice should be administrated in a different way. You cannot erase a crime with another crime. Death penalty is a crime against humanity, the worst among all, because it's inflicted pretending it the only means to safety and to protecting man from himself.
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

Hyuuga Neji is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiko
I'm strongly against it. Law shouldn't use power to "eliminate" human beings that committed crimes against others. Problems can't be solved by eliminating them like that. Justice should be administrated in a different way. You cannot erase a crime with another crime. Death penalty is a crime against humanity, the worst among all, because it's inflicted pretending it the only means to safety and to protecting man from himself.
I agree with the death penalty only under certain circumstances, but i ask this to everyone, what else are options for a serial murderer that was caught in the act? the prisons are over flowing the cost to maintain them is sky rocketing i mean im open to suggestions because taking life isnt right, but how do you handle it then? Any ideas?

Last Game I Beat: Fable
---------------------------------------------------
What I Really Meant To Say Is I'm Sorry For The Way I Am, Never Meant To Be So Cold
Hyuuga Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #7
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Improve education and create more jobs for citizens. The result is that there is less reason for crime to be commited and thus more prison space.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #8
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

I agree with you, but how do you finance this big move increase taxes, that wont fly and in the USA it has to go threw several layers to even get passed, and the president can veto it, and creating better jobs will increase inflation, and the sad part is that people will never be satisfied and will always want more money faster.

What I Really Meant To Say Is I'm Sorry For The Way I Am, Never Meant To Be So Cold
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #9
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
The cost it takes to sign all the papers to execute one prisoner, it could feed twenty other prisoners for one year. With all the other things that they could be spending that money on in this country, why waste it killing another person?
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #10
Mannofiron

Mannofiron is on a distinguished road
Fix the system, don't kill it

I'll be the first to admit that there are clear difficulties with the death penalty in practice. I'm for it, but obviously the system has it's problems as well. However, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't use it; people have been wrongfully imprisioned, yet we don't go letting everyone out of their cells because of this, do we?

First off, we should make the system more precise: let's use advanced forensics whenever possible. Get the proof and get it checked through the system. The law must be thorough in the evidence.

Second, we should make the system less prone to human error: let's establish courts that hear death penalty cases specifically and have people qualified to hear them. If the defendant is without representation, let's get him or her a good lawyer, so the system is not stacked against the suspect. Let's have judges able to recognize the place of the death penalty who are not afraid to enforce it or not allow it based on circumstances.

Lastly, we should make the system more efficient and quick. I believe that the death penalty can be a deterrant but is not a large one now...why? Because it takes years before these people are executed and they live a better life than some on the street in their cells. Death penalty cases should proceed quickly with model efficiency. Appeals should be dealt with immediately in order to speed up this process. We should be able to see people who receive the ultimate punishment get it in a reasonable amount of time (say, less than 2 years, maybe 1.5 or 1). This was the message is clear to other criminals and the taxpayers save money.

I don't think it's hypocritical to take one life for another. As a person, I'd say it is not my role to avenge life for life. If someone killed my brother, it would not be my duty (though I might do this anyway) to avenge his death and make the murderer pay. But the state has an interest in executing criminals: for one, that person will never kill again, and two, the harsh penalty will deter others if justice is swift. I'm a firm believer in turning the other cheek in personal affairs, but an eye for an eye in law and affairs of justice.

Thoughts, criticism? I know some of these ideas seem far-fetched, and the system can be improved in other ways, no doubt...anything?

Doom
Mannofiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #11
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

I like the way you put that Manno

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #12
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
Im against it, I agree with Faile and Missingno..A life sentence is a much nastier punishment as they have time to think about what they've done, I feel that death is the easy way out for them.
About prisons being full I think we would do well to look into what types of crimes we imprison people for...there are certain people who have been imprisoned that would do better out of prison and given the chance to start afresh with proper help and advice outside.
Not all offenders benefit from a prison sentence. For instance Drug users who are in there for minor crimes would probably be better put in a proper rehab centre as alot of the time it is only the drugs that are the problem.

Piggle
x x x x

Piggle_humsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 07:29 AM   #13
Billyum7
GTA GuRu

Billyum7 is an unknown quantity at this point
there should be no death penalty!

I am the Grand Theft Auto GuRu

My FORUMS
Billyum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:17 AM   #14
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggle_humsy
Im against it, I agree with Faile and Missingno..A life sentence is a much nastier punishment as they have time to think about what they've done, I feel that death is the easy way out for them.
About prisons being full I think we would do well to look into what types of crimes we imprison people for...there are certain people who have been imprisoned that would do better out of prison and given the chance to start afresh with proper help and advice outside.
Not all offenders benefit from a prison sentence. For instance Drug users who are in there for minor crimes would probably be better put in a proper rehab centre as alot of the time it is only the drugs that are the problem.
On the part of drug rehab centres, ummmm they do that 9/10ths the people that go to prison on drugs its a multiple offense or it has a side offense of not just using but selling on the side. They don't go around locking just anyone up in a prison, atleast not in the U.S. Usually you have to do something major such are armed robbery, murder, rape, kidnapping inorder to get you a seat in prison.

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM   #15
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
NAY! There are too many difficulties surrounding being able to have a fair trial for anybody let alone somebody accused of an especially heinous act. Just look at how many people were put to death in Texas under Bush's governing... he would have fought tooth and nail for just about anybody to be denied appeals in cases with even the most disorganized of trials. It is because of things such as this that the death penalty cannot work in the U.S. On top of this, I find it morally wrong to begin with. Who are we to judge that somebody's life should end? We are no more justified in doing so than a person who commited an act of murder ourside capital punishment. There is no fair a mount of guilt we can determine with our human minds whether somebody deserves such a penalty or not. That was not our right to begin with in taking a persons life through regular murder nor is it our right as a society when determining the guilt of somebody to send them to death quote unquote officially. It is a crime against humanity in the same way murder is itself.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM   #16
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpyramidhead
NAY! There are too many difficulties surrounding being able to have a fair trial for anybody let alone somebody accused of an especially heinous act. Just look at how many people were put to death in Texas under Bush's governing... he would have fought tooth and nail for just about anybody to be denied appeals in cases with even the most disorganized of trials. It is because of things such as this that the death penalty cannot work in the U.S. On top of this, I find it morally wrong to begin with. Who are we to judge that somebody's life should end? We are no more justified in doing so than a person who commited an act of murder ourside capital punishment. There is no fair a mount of guilt we can determine with our human minds whether somebody deserves such a penalty or not. That was not our right to begin with in taking a persons life through regular murder nor is it our right as a society when determining the guilt of somebody to send them to death quote unquote officially. It is a crime against humanity in the same way murder is itself.

_RED_ stuff
Everyone agree's that its morally wrong but what if just listen to me here this situation that could happen your family was walking threw the park and you were with them as you stopped and was resting your family kept walking and as you look ahead your family is brutally murdered and you see the guys face you turn him in and he is captured you would feel hate or malice towards him and to say you wouldnt would be lying because you havent been put under those situations and people opinions change as certain things happen but as i said again im open to suggests that would be obtainable.

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:40 AM   #17
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuuga Neji
On the part of drug rehab centres, ummmm they do that 9/10ths the people that go to prison on drugs its a multiple offense or it has a side offense of not just using but selling on the side. They don't go around locking just anyone up in a prison, atleast not in the U.S. Usually you have to do something major such are armed robbery, murder, rape, kidnapping inorder to get you a seat in prison.
I wasn't talking about people being put in prison for drugs, I said people who use drugs who are put in for minor crimes (such as robbery ect) as they may have been high at the time and were they not on drugs may not have commited the crime in the first place.
Also about people having to do something major to get a place in prison... well what about parents who are given prison sentences for their child being truant from school? That's in the U.S aswell as here. That is an absolute joke, from being truant myself there is nothing my dad could have done to make me go to school if I didn't want to, He used to drop me off at the doors and watch me go in and the second he left I was out of there, Yes sometimes the parents may be responsible but most of the time they wouldn't be able to do a thing to stop it and putting the parents in jail or giving them a fine wouldn't make any difference alot of the time!
Also there are loads of occasions where people have been sentenced to time in prison over minor crimes. I've watched enough John Walsh and Sally's shows to know that!

Piggle
x x x x

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM   #18
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggle_humsy

I wasn't talking about people being put in prison for drugs, I said people who use drugs who are put in for minor crimes (such as robbery ect) as they may have been high at the time and were they not on drugs may not have commited the crime in the first place.
Also about people having to do something major to get a place in prison... well what about parents who are given prison sentences for their child being truant from school? That's in the U.S aswell as here. That is an absolute joke, from being truant myself there is nothing my dad could have done to make me go to school if I didn't want to, He used to drop me off at the doors and watch me go in and the second he left I was out of there, Yes sometimes the parents may be responsible but most of the time they wouldn't be able to do a thing to stop it and putting the parents in jail or giving them a fine wouldn't make any difference alot of the time!
Also there are loads of occasions where people have been sentenced to time in prison over minor crimes. I've watched enough John Walsh and Sally's shows to know that!

Piggle
x x x x
LoL well your looking at the surface of it, if a child is truant and the parent doesnt do anything it then gets sent to social services they do not directly go to jail atleast here in the US they don't. And again it all depends on the severity of the crime while the were high and most things has to be a multiple offense but armed robbery isnt anything to fool around with to begin with if someone is high meaning unstable at the time doing armed robbery where people are at risk of being hurt or killed something needs to be done to make them think about it and not just get a slap on the wrist.

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM   #19
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuuga Neji
LoL well your looking at the surface of it, if a child is truant and the parent doesnt do anything it then gets sent to social services they do not directly go to jail atleast here in the US they don't. And again it all depends on the severity of the crime while the were high and most things has to be a multiple offense but armed robbery isnt anything to fool around with to begin with if someone is high meaning unstable at the time doing armed robbery where people are at risk of being hurt or killed something needs to be done to make them think about it and not just get a slap on the wrist.
Just to clear things up....
About the Truant thing..Point I was making is that parents shouldn't in most cases be punished for truant children as most of the time they can't do anythign about it!
And about robbery..I wasn't talking about armed robbery..yes I agree that is serious..I meant robbery as in someone breaking into a unoccupied house and stealing tv's ect.

Piggle
x x x x