Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #1
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Question Books

So, what are your favourte books and why?

I really liked 'Insomnia' by Stephen King. It's not really deep or anything, but I really really liked the concept.

And check out 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley if you haven't already. It's really got an awesome concept, and has somethings to say about society.

I also liked 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry. I read it in grade 7 for school and I remember being very impressed by it.

OH! One more! The 'Series of Unfortunate Events' by Lemony Snicket is really not great.
Check out www.lemonysnicket.com ; especially if you don't intend to read the series!
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #2
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
Brave New World is good, but complex. As is Steppenwolf, another favorite of mine.

But above all.. Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlen. Mwa.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #3
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
Re: Books

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadzoox

I also liked 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry
!!!!I JUST READ THAT BOOK!!! it was ok but my fav book is hellraiser by clive barker
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
My fav books are the Hobbit, and The Fellowship of the Ring. I love the whole Lord of the Rings series and pretty much anything by J.R.R. Tolkien. Watership Down is also a good read.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #5
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Small list:

Tales of mystery and Imagination, Edgar Allan Poe - Atmospheres and hidden meanings.

Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll - Carroll is the king of nonsense. This book is full of great imagery and humour.

De Profundis, Oscar Wilde - I love all his works, but this long letter is like a testament from the man of genius.

Diaries, Vaslav Nijinsky - Alternates moments of madness and interesting theories about life, power and arts.

The Call of Cthulhu, Howard Phillips Lovecraft - This is so damn creepy... Our senses and perceptions are so terribly weak...

Les Enfants Terribles, Jean Cocteau - As for Wilde, another work from a man of genius. Very morbid desription of relationships and beauty.

Brave New World, Aldous Huxley - Yes, I too am listing this book. This is a political, sociological essay about the power of technology. Sort of sci-fi, but only on the surface.

La Nausée, Jean Paul Sartre - A philosophical essay on the meaning of existence in the form of a novel.

The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov - This book can be read following different levels. It is so complex that is impossible to sum it up and explain why I love it.

1984, George Orwell - Well, like Brave New World, this is sci-fi only looking at it from the outside. It is so real that it can almost creep you out.

Dance Dance Dance, Haruki Murakami - Another book that mixes nonsense, inexplicable and mystery with more rational contents. And I love the style of this writer.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:56 AM   #6
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tales of mystery and Imagination, Edgar Allan Poe
Yes, I read the complete works of him, amazing!!! I had to read a few old books for school, by coincidence I checked out Poe. Fell in love with it and read (at least I think so) all of it. I really love murders in the rue morgue, the pit and the pendulum etc. strange and magnificient tales indeed.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:22 AM   #7
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune

Small list:

Tales of mystery and Imagination, Edgar Allan Poe - Atmospheres and hidden meanings.

The Call of Cthulhu, Howard Phillips Lovecraft - This is so damn creepy... Our senses and perceptions are so terribly weak...
Fortune, you are my personal hero! I have three thick books containing full versions of most of H.P. Lovecrafts stories. Small print so they fit it all in there. One of them is labeled "The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft" and entitled "Dreams of Terror and Death." The title doesnt work quite so well in my opinion because they're is just as much about fantasy woven into his horror fiction in this collection and deealing with fantastic visions and imagined and lost kingdoms in dreams. Well it's wonderful. It's a must read!
I think you can find it here: www.randomhouse/delrey/
So if you haven't already read further into his work and want to there you go Hope I could hook you up.

I also have an extremely thick book entitled "The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe" As far As I know most of it's there if not all of it. What was published that is. It not only includes All his stories, but all his poems, too and some essays and article excerpts and lectures that he has written. It includes the entire novella "Narrative of Gordon A. Pym."

And finally, for nwo I will mention another favorite author of mine. His name is Neil Gaiman and he has quite an impressive site at www.neilgaiman.com. Check it out. I don't know if you've ever heard of The Sandman adult comics series. It's won many awards, including The World Fantasy Award for one episode, which is an extremely prestigious award that's never been awarded to an author for a comic/graphic novel type thing before and hasn't since. His most famous book is probably Neverwhere (great fantasy/adventure story about a secret society of people and creatures and lore living in the secret passageways of the London Underground abandoned subway and sewer systems in the shadows. His newest one is American Gods, which is just ubelievable. There are preview summaries on the site if your interested.

Anybody else read this stuff?

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #8
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Anything from Hermann Hesse is good to me. I like his books. He's such a great author, and I like his influences too. The Eastern culture is very important for many of his works. Too bad he's often considered to be only a "commercial" author and not a great writer (he also won a Nobel prize after all!).
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #9
blindman
Sketch Penguin

blindman is on a distinguished road
A VERY small list from a man who is blind but can somehow read:

Stormwarning: a nice paced book...kinda uninteresting but it was (i think) the first book i finished reading.

The hobbit: Where better to start witht he LOTR books than with the hobbit? But it wasnt such a good start, for i didnt like it that much.

Lord of the flies: Pretty disturbing book...nice story..kinda physchological.. a very old book.

Those are the three books i've finished reading for i dont read much anymore.
Every book i finish is my favorite.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #10
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I like Lord of the Flies a lot! Used to be one of my fave books when I was younger!
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #11
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
I just perfer to read the tabloits everday, even though there full of lies.

But my fav book is Harry potter, the prisoner of azkaban, even though I despise Harry Potter, just read it out of the sheer bordem, and I really fell to it and found the plot is great.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #12
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Funny how i love books yet never read. I'm (suposedly) good at English Literature, but i've read only a few books... The Harry Potter and Discworld series work for me, but I've never really strayed from such mainstream books. I enjoyed the books that have been forced on me though ^_^ (so umm... Lord of The Flies and Far From the Madding Crowd)... As i've pretty much finished my exams, I may just start to read some books. Maybe.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 02:33 PM   #13
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
A few favourites;

Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger.

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

Such a Long Journey - Rohinton Mistry

The Fight Club - Chuck Palahnuik

Shogun - James Clavell

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

1984 - George Orwell

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

All good reads.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #14
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Tom Clancy novels, espically Rainbow Six

S.D. Perry's Resident Evil Novelizations

BattleField Earth

Anything by Stephen King

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #15
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Nice, thanks everyone! I'll have to make a book list and check these out over the summer!
Thanks again!
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 01:39 AM   #16
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1984, George Orwell - Well, like Brave New World, this is sci-fi only looking at it from the outside. It is so real that it can almost creep you out.

1984 - George Orwell
One of the books I gotta read this summer for school- sounds like a good read though.

In general, I don't read a whole lot, but here's what I've liked so far:

The Dark Tower series- Stephen King : Only read the first book as of yet ("The Gunslinger") but its looking to be a pretty good tale. The tale of Roland, the last gunslinger, who yearns to reach the Dark Tower to find out why the world has "moved on".

The Samurai- Shoshaku Endo(sp?): Very good read about three low-ranking samurais and their servants about their understanding of the richness and complexity of both their mission and Christianity. Didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

Lord of the Flies- William Golding: Read this back in 8th grade, and agree with those who've already listed it in this thread. Disturbing indeed.

On a Pale Horse- Piers Anthony: Part one of the "Incarnations of Immortality" series, this book deals with the office of death and its duties. Interesting read.

Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card: Neat Sci-Fi tale of the struggle of the "Bugger" alien threat against Earth, showcasing boy genius Ender Wiggin. Don't really care for the other books in the series though...

Other than that, I tried to get into the LOTR books, but except for the Hobbit (which was pretty entertaining) I couldn't get into the Fellowship of the Ring- gave up toward the end. So kinda negative on this one.

EDIT : Quick question- Anyone here read "A Tale of Two Cities" before, by Charles Dickens? It's also one of my summer reading books for school, and am wondering if its any good. On the outset, however, the book sounds kind of boring to me(something about the history of the Frence Revolution and stuff). I know its one of those old classic novels, but it doesn't sound like an enticing read. Any other opinions?

Last edited by DragonSphere; Jun 21st, 2003 at 01:47 AM..
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 01:22 PM   #17
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
I like a lot of different books... almost anything by michael chrighton... Airframe was really cool

Ummm.. Harry potter a lot. Right now i am reading the order of the phoenix(so far is the shit!!!) I have read the series(1-4) 8 times so far....And to think.... i used to make fun of people that read this stuff!! I got in school suspension and had no work so i decided i would read an HP book and w/in two months i had read all four.. and i hadnt read a book in two years before Harry

Brave new world is by far one of my favs... i also enjoy the trueisms that it holds w/ our society

And one of my all time faves is Starship troopers The movie wasnt that great so when i was assigned it for sci-fi class two years ago i wasnt too happy... But i read that book and then i read it again and again..... For me that is kindof like what halo embodies... and i looooovvveee halo

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:44 AM   #18
stormshadow
G.I. Joe Foe

stormshadow is on a distinguished road
Hey trunks69420 did you ever read the first Jurassic Park by Chrighton it is a good read, and I thought Timeline was preatty good to.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:48 AM   #19
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
Talking MMM Books....

I love reading!

I love all books by Chris Manby! Fantastic escapism!

Sophie Kinsella- Great fun to read, I loved the last one- Can u keep a secret! So fun, it had everything in it, laughter, tears, shock, anger, regret ect..

Annabel Giles- Birthday Girls! Great book! I loved how all the parts coincided with each other!

The Green Mile - Stephen King, Much better then the film even tho I loved the actors in it!

The Stand- Stephen King.

Harry potter series...all so gripping, Ive read them over and over again! Looking forward to getting my order of pheonix 2mora, its being delivered (im getting it for free! woohoo!) Cant wait!

Also I love reading my Cyclopedia! It has so many interesting facts in it! Ok now I sound like a geek! lol

Im being booted of the comp so i'll probly add more later!

Piggle
x x x x

Piggle_humsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:08 PM   #20
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by stormshadow

Hey trunks69420 did you ever read the first Jurassic Park by Chrighton it is a good read, and I thought Timeline was preatty good to.
Yeah.. that was so much better than the movie i thought.. .although i loved the movie a lot I like how in books you can get how a person is feeling and how they react to things.. in movies you can only infer what is happening in the persons head. I also liked Sphere and The lost world by MC... The lost world book is almost completely different than the 2nd movie and there is so much cooler stuff in the book... Like the whole expedition w/ the two kids in the cages and stuff... man that was some cool shite!

Piggle.. let me know what you think of the new HP... I am on chapter 7 right now...(The ministry of magic)... Man i love this book already... its as though i never left that magical world

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote