Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #1
Jolie

Jolie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Just bought FFVIII...

Ok, the last time you suggested me to get FFVII, but I couldn't find it when I went to buy a new game, so I got FFVIII istead.

I must say: this game is really difficult! Not for the general stuff, but for the battle system which is way more complicated than the one of any other RPG game I've played. The junctions confuse me and even if I read the instructions carefully, I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Could you help me with the junction system, please? Any hints?
Jolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:06 PM   #2
Sword 4 Hire
Retired...

Sword 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
I would tell you but I STILL don't understand the junctioning system...

You should try and trade that game in for VII somewhere
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:32 AM   #3
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Trust me, the junction system does make sense after a while!

- S
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #4
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
Trust me, the junction system does make sense after a while!
agreed ^_^ - FFVIII seems confusing at first glance (was my first FF as well), but too many people get confused by the junction system. To be honest, you don't really need to worry about it too much at the begining of the game: just stock up on GFs (some are in sidequests others are obtained using the "Draw" command - Siren in the SeeD exam for instance)

Later on, you will want to use it, but its only really vital for the "big three" - Omega Weapon, Ultima Weapon and "the final boss" (no spoilers o course ^_^ ) - the key is just to get plenty of a highly powerful magic, and junction it to a stat that you want to be very big (100x Ultima on Squall's strength stat is probably the best you can do... but you're unlikely to be able to until around Disc 3 anyways)

You'll probably just be able to go through easily by drawing the occasional spell, and just use auto-junctioning.

Edit: as for getting FFVII.... In Europe its a fluke to find it, and you can't really order it. Not sure how it is in Argentina, but keep looking: you won't regret it ^_^
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:04 PM   #5
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Yep, it is pretty confusing at first, but you'll get it.

Like the artist said, you don't need to worry much about it in the beginning. Just make sure you have a good variety of magic as that is always a good thing.

If you're unsure about it; just use the auto-junctioning.
It'll set it all up for you. However, later on you'll want to do this manually as it'll be accusomed to your likings this way.
As you proceed, you'll be able to do it yourself.

A personal hint : Later on you'll be receiving all sorts of powerful magic. While it may be tempting to junction thos strong ones the most, you should be careful. *spoiler... well, I don't think so but what the hell*
Let's suppose you junctioned " life " to your HP. If during battle you use up large amounts of "life", you'll see your actualy HP depleting. That's because they're junctioned and the more you use that particular spell, the lesser the value.
Same goes for vice versa. The more you have of the spell, the higher the attributes will rise.

I know it sounds pretty confusing, but it does get simpler ! Trust me, FF8 is my favorite... I know almost all there is to know, and I know that it's not that hard.
Hang in there and you'll see it all fit in perfectly
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #6
Darkness 4 Hire
Hero of Darkness

Darkness 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
...FFVIII awesome

Nice pick up Jolie, dispite what others say...Final Fantasy VIII was one of my 1st RPGs and its still one of my favorites! The Junction systems gets eaiser along the road, don't frat still on course...if you wonder off you wont get it. If there are any specific details you want to know ask me. I beat this game to the very exstant of beating it. If you need help just ask!

...ps Seifer is horrible(Nice Demon Slice)
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:34 PM   #7
Sword 4 Hire
Retired...

Sword 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
Re: ...FFVIII awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkness 4 Hire

...ps Seifer is horrible(Nice Demon Slice)
now that was a direct insult to me

...very low blow
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 03:10 AM   #8
8ball

8ball is on a distinguished road
Final Fantasy VIII is a good game once u get used to has any ever got eden or somthing for a summoun my cousin did
8ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #9
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by 8ball
Final Fantasy VIII is a good game once u get used to has any ever got eden or somthing for a summoun my cousin did
yeah, from Tiamat the first time, and Ultima Weapon the second - the hardest GF by far to find is Doom Train. I've played the game about 3 times up to Esthar, and It took me until the third time to find where the hints actually start
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #10
Black Heart
Mighty Captain

Black Heart is on a distinguished road
I haven't found FFVIII junctions so confusing. Or better, I've found them confusing during the first hours of the game because you still have to get all the GFs, the magic spells and so on. Later, it becomes more easy, trust me. Despite its complexity, the juction system of FFVIII is one of the best systems for customizing the qualities of your characters in FF games IMO.
Black Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:12 PM   #11
Jolie

Jolie is on a distinguished road
Thanks anyone. I think I'm starting enjoying the game, much more than I was expecting. I've just finished disc one and I'm really into the story now, even if I have no clues on what will happen next. The junctions are still a bit difficult for me, but with some addictional Guardian Force it's getting better
Jolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:44 PM   #12
Darkness 4 Hire
Hero of Darkness

Darkness 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
Just keep leveling, whenever you get a chance and Quake and Torando are some of the best magic to junction so make sure to draw plenty of them and of course Curega!!
Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:52 AM   #13
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
The junctioning system was almost exactly the same thing it was with the materias in FF7. I guess this is not of much help for Jolie, tho

IS simple: as you already know, teh first thing you attach to your characters are the Guradian Forces. I really don't know if from the beginning the characters have a certain affinity to certain GF's or it's just somethign you build up. the only thing I'd recommend, is to keep the same GF's in the same chars, and avoid changing them as much as you can, so their affinities keep unaffected (example: let's say you have Ifrit attached to Squall for a while, and then you decide to detach Ifrit and attach Shiva. by using Shiva, Squall's affinity with Ifrit will decrease, and by default, Squall's affinity to ice will be weaker. You must have in mind the rules about elements, that I am sure you already know since long ago.)

Well, as for the "draw" command, is just teh same thing as if you were stealing. You just get magic from the enemies by doing this, the more you get, the better for you. What you shall know and have very clear, is the kind of magics you get. Some of them are elementals, and the others are just support or status magics. elementals are obvious: fire, ice, water, earth, thunder, wind, gravity/darkness, holy, flare, and ultima. (if I'm not wrong that's all of them)

Junctioning elemental mategics is basically the same thing as with GF's if you have fire juncioned to your weapon, you'll be stronger against ice or water elemental enemies, but weaker or just hand to hand against fire-based foes. And just remember that the more you have, the more powerful you are.

As you can also se, you have slots for attack and for defense. If you are fighing a thunder based boss, teh wisest thing is to do is to stcok up on thunder magic and pu it on the defense, so you can either be resistant to it's attacks, or immune to them, or in the best case, absorb them.

As for the status magics (poison, death, zombie, sleep, etc...) you use it the same way as with elementals, but with different purposes: to raise your chance either to cause status disorders to your enemies with your physical attacks, or to be able to defend yourself against such.

I guess that's the essential stuff that you need to know about junctioning. I hope that helps (although I know I can sound confusing a times )

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote