Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Angry Material things you can't have

I want to start this thread because I'm frustrated. Over a silly matter, to be honest, but still, it really makes me crazy. I've been looking for this liquor, called Midori, for a long time now. I love its taste, and I love cocktails with this melon liquor in it. In fact, I think I'm a melon addict. I can only find it at impossible prices. I don' think I want to buy a bottle of Midori at the same price of a bottle of champagne, without counting shipping costs, obviosly. Which would make it even more expensive. I know Campari is the US distributor for it. Campari is an Italian brand. Why would they distribute the Midori in the US and not in Italy? I'm mad at them. I'd kill them if I could. But I can't. And I won't have my Midori cocktails at home.

To make it brief: this thread is for letting other members know your frustration or lack of satisfaction regarding material - yes, not metaphysical - things you'd like to have, but you can't. It can be very important things you really need but can't afford, or silly stuff you can't find because of their rarity, or whatever. A good rant is better than nothing!
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
It's really funny how this Midori Liqueur is a Japanese brand (Suntory) that is now made in Mexico and is distributed by an Italian company in the United States.

There's a plethora of stuff I want but can't have due to lack of money and most money must go to tuition fees. Most of them are from Japan obviously and it makes me sad that there is a lack of international mail orders on most sites (not that I blame them though). I could use a shopping service but the commission fees are scarily high and this excludes the cost of the product itself!

I'm absolutely mad about zakka (which loosely means 'fun stuff'). Mostly I'm into zakka mugs and cups (or any unique/interesting mugs and cups) and I love giving them as gifts to my sister who is also crazy about them. I was lucky enough to come across a site that ships internationally but because shipping is very high (due to fragile items), it doesn't take a lot to reach the $100-$200 range.

I also want to find any sort of unique and fun housewares from Europe...again, mugs or cups or anything like that. But it's difficult to do so because I don't know if they ship internationally and it's hard to search for these sorts of things. A place I recently discovered and like is Kiosk Kiosk because they have international goodies but, again, I'm mostly looking for housewares.

There's more stuff but alas, this is just a sample.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Aubrey McFatum

Aubrey McFatum is on a distinguished road
What's this Midori?

Stuff I can't have right now? Let me think... I really need a new car, because the one I have is crap. I'm also into foreign stamps. Some of them are just beautiful, but very expensive if they're rare. And I'd like one of these e-books readers. I know they're not very useful, but I like reading and I like the idea of something like that just for reading books. something that isn't a portable computer or anything else with too many features and gadgets and gimmicks in it. I just think that maybe old paper books are less expensive for now

Do you believe in God?
The question is does God believe in me?

Aubrey McFatum
Aubrey McFatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
That's hard because there are many things I like when I see them, but I know I can't buy everything
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey McFatum
What's this Midori?
This comes from wikipedia:
Quote:
Midori is a bright, green-coloured, honeydew melon-flavored cordial made by Suntory. It is manufactured in Mexico, though it was originally made in Japan until 1987. It began life in 1978 with a launch party held in New York's infamous Studio 54.

Midori is usually 20-21% alcohol by volume. The name comes from midori, the Japanese word for "green".

As it is extremely sweet, Midori is rarely consumed by itself. It is generally used in a mixed drink or cocktail; for example, a Midori Illusion. Midori is usually mixed with lemonade, fresh lemon juice, lime juice, pineapple juice or orange juice. Sour flavours are often used to balance its sweetness.
The awfully bad bartender in me likes everything with Midori in it. The non-bartender me likes it as well. I would kill for a June Bug now. But Suntory don't really care
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Game related stuff, one thing I want is a PS3. When I walk through stores and I see the 60 and 80gbs sitting there...I feel like they're mocking me. Also a PSP would be nice so I can play MGS: PO. And speaking of which, the Metal Gear 20th Anniversary collection has me twitching to get it but it's inevitably useless since all I already own all the games. I also like the shiny packaging.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Big Dude
mwahahaha...

Big Dude is on a distinguished road
A 1981 Camaro. That car is sexy. The ones I come across are always just out of my area range or price range (at the moment). I feel so silly driving the Ford Focus I have now... The Camaro, it is teasing me, I know it is. The other day I drive down the street, and there's one! But, of course, I can't afford it... Some day, I hope, I will make one mine.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #8
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
A good sushi-joint, they had this great delivery and take-away. That had the greatest miso and californiaroll, but it took months to open and only weeks to close....

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #9
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
it took months to open and only weeks to close....
I know it sucks when something like this happens! It seems very often good things don't last long
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #10
Berserker
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
I know it sucks when something like this happens! It seems very often good things don't last long
What I can't comprehend is that most of the time they are unique and great joints that quickly dissapear, but shoarma, kebab, pizza or snackbars are around every corner...

Vincere Aut Mori
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #11
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
What I can't comprehend is that most of the time they are unique and great joints that quickly dissapear, but shoarma, kebab, pizza or snackbars are around every corner...
That's maybe because sushi & co. are still considered too much "exotic" and "snobbish", and the majority of people are very diffident, when not skeptical, about it. People prefer more popular tastes, more popular prices, more popular formula to something still unknown to their experience. It's a shame, but it's like this anywhere. Only very big cities with various multicultural influences or more open-minded attitude are usually the places where these kind of things have a discreet success.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
That's maybe because sushi & co. are still considered too much "exotic" and "snobbish", and the majority of people are very diffident, when not skeptical, about it. People prefer more popular tastes, more popular prices, more popular formula to something still unknown to their experience. It's a shame, but it's like this anywhere. Only very big cities with various multicultural influences or more open-minded attitude are usually the places where these kind of things have a discreet success.
Ironically, it's completely different around here, especially in larger places like New York, L.A., etc. Sushi and other things are actually an ongoing trend, something that is "hip" to eat nowadays for health reasons and because it, apparently, makes you look cool doing so. For this reason, the US is now, I think, on the top of the list for fish demands, mainly tuna, to satisfy the large number of sushi and sashimi restaurants as well as the "fusion-style" restaurants (stuff like French-Japanese, Thai-Japanese, etc.). And for this reason, the Japanese has turned to deer meat to put in their sushi as a replacement because they can't get tuna anymore. It's quite depressing really but no surprise. What's more hilarious is the fact that many people claim to "eat sushi all the time" yet they stay away from the more "strange" things like octopus, squid, eel, or fish roe and make a horrid face when you mention it. Then they reach for their California roll.

You Can Help

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #13
Berserker
misfit

I'm talking about a big city, still our city is run by tourists nowadays(in the centre at least). So all you get is very shitty quality and very bad hygiene. Most parts of amsterdam city centre you can hardly get a decent snack. Allthough sushi is also fashionable here, it's mostly in combination with a chinese kitchen in this what they call over here "wokrestaurants" with an "all you can eat" thing going on. I hate these places, you even have people who go there to eat and they get sushi and only eat the tuna or salmon off the top of the ngiri and throw away the rice. People like that we call "farmers" around here, cause they have no manners(sorry for all the agricultural people that have manners, no offence!). So if I want I can have sushi whenever I like, but just not at any decent place where it's done in a proper way. Especially around the centre you have mostly restaurants run by arab people who pretend to be italian, mexican, argentinian etc. Only if you know your way around the city you know where you can find the real italian, mexican etc. restaurants. If sushi tends to become even more popular I won't be surprised if I will see a arab guy pretending to be japanese....now that would be a trip...

Vincere Aut Mori
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Allthough sushi is also fashionable here, it's mostly in combination with a chinese kitchen in this what they call over here "wokrestaurants" with an "all you can eat" thing going on. I hate these places, you even have people who go there to eat and they get sushi and only eat the tuna or salmon off the top of the ngiri and throw away the rice. People like that we call "farmers" around here, cause they have no manners(sorry for all the agricultural people that have manners, no offence!).
Wok restaurants! That's interesting! Here, we call it "Chinese buffet" but it can be other stuff like American food. We also have those type of people too; the ones who throw away the rice and eat only the fish. There's a place two hours from where I live that is a Japanese/Asian buffet. You go in and can pick up as much sushi, vegetables, or Asian stuff as you want. When my family and I go there, I always see many Chinese (because they are cheap but not saying they all are) eating only the salmon, eel, tuna, or egg off the sushi and leaving the rice. Then the Americans who eat there are trying to stuff themselves with sushi with that "look-how-multicultural-I-am" sort of attitude.

Quote:
Especially around the centre you have mostly restaurants run by arab people who pretend to be italian, mexican, argentinian etc. Only if you know your way around the city you know where you can find the real italian, mexican etc. restaurants. If sushi tends to become even more popular I won't be surprised if I will see a arab guy pretending to be japanese....now that would be a trip...
Hehe, there's places like that in the States too...around here, there's this one Chinese restaurant that's completely owned and run by Mexicans and there's a Japanese restaurant that is run by Koreans.

You Can Help

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #15
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
My own car. At the moment I'm sharing it with my brother, and it means he often uses it, making me mad and leaving me without any other means of transportation, besides my old bike, of course!
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #16
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
I really want new clothes. But I can't afford to purchase any and I feel bad making my dad or sis buy me stuff so I usually only get new clothes when it's needed as in there are unfixable holes in my current items.
Right now I have one pair of jeans and 4 tops and that's my wardrobe which sucks but that's life.

I also really want a Nintendo Wii.. but I'll be the co-owner of one once I move in with my boyfriend so that's alright

and I want new DS Games but they are so frickin expensive that I find it impossible to justify the purchase.

There's more but I'll save that for another time

Piggle_humsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #17
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

UPDATE!!!

I just received 6 bottles of Midori as present. To celebrate I had 3 Melon Balls - Midori + Vodka + Pineapple Juice. I feel like a sponge, but it was so good
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #18
Berserker
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopu
UPDATE!!!

I just received 6 bottles of Midori as present. To celebrate I had 3 Melon Balls - Midori + Vodka + Pineapple Juice. I feel like a sponge, but it was so good
Congratz! Maybe you created some sort of miracleworking thread, that grants all your wishes! Let's see who's next!

Vincere Aut Mori
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #19
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

A miracleworking thread? I hope so! But if this is the case I'm afraid I will be coming everyday to post... and the thread will end becoming pointless
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #20
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Omedetou Pu! You must be very happy...savor them while you can!

Quote:
Congratz! Maybe you created some sort of miracleworking thread, that grants all your wishes! Let's see who's next!
Yeah, perhaps she did! I think I may be close to getting a PS3 which was on my list...we'll just have to wait and see.

You Can Help