Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:26 AM   #1
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Deus Ex 2: Invisible War

not bad at all, i'm finally leaving seattle's lower city.. i decided to go with sid , instead of the helicopter pilot i had to help in the WTO hangar.

what's everyones character mods?

I decided to use the female character, because the male voice actor for alex d. was boring the shit outta me. He sounded like harry from the original silent hill for playstation. The voice actress for alex d. Is also the same voice actress that voiced bloodrayne, i liked that game so i decided to stick with her.

here's mine:

health regeneration
strength enhancements
sound dampering movement
__

neural interface / i just maxed out on that one
emp discharge for melee weapons

I like all the ways there are to accomplish goals. the game seems real easy though, hopefully it picks up.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Feb 1st, 2004 at 06:29 AM..
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
I'm a sucker for anything Deus Ex (or something to do with Warren Spector for that matter), but the PC demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War (yeah, no "2" because that would confuse XBox owners - Thief III has suffered the same fate, and probably come off even worse. "Deadly Shadows" ) was really off-putting.

Its seems to me that they've got rid of the things that made Deus Ex good and made a half-baked ugly looking game. Yeah, Ugly. The lighting is the only thing that is great, and you can't even hide in the shadows anymore!!!!! And even though its aesthetically ugly, it still manages to gobble up processing power like nothing else. Optimise you fools!

And the main suspect? the XBox. I've got nothing against the XBox, but a developer who lazily holds BOTH versions of their game back by developing two identical versions for two different systems is just stupid. The interface is intrusive, ugly and barely functional - a PC keyboard allows for so many more inventory slots, so why not give them to us? As for unified ammo (wherein rockets draw from the same "ammo supply" as the riot prod), that isn't up to much either. Why has everything to be patronisingly simplified for two markets that have a bit of intelligence to their name? Why did the map size in the PC Version have to be limited because of the capabilities of the XBox?

The presentation isn't at all great - the voice acting is bareable for the most part... just about the best thing is the holo-jukebox with the Kidney Thieves tunes playing. Everything considered, Deus Ex: Invisible War isn't half as good as the original.

I also heard its shorter. Just what we need - another short (now almost completely) action orientated FPS. I so hope that Ion Storm don't crap up the Thief Series in the same way... early impression are NOT good.

Final Indignant Point: Europe has to wait 4 months for localisation. Not that i'm not completely capable of waiting through that time.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Infernal Mass
pariah

i still need to play the original Deus ex, this is my first outing with the series.

There's alot of talk in the game about what JC denton did. I'm just sora curious i guess. I'll probably buy that game in the near future.

i just have a few questions about that game/

does the original deus ex, have voice acting or is it all text.
Is there still multiple ways to complete objectives.

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:33 PM   #4
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Infernal Mass
does the original deus ex, have voice acting or is it all text.
Is there still multiple ways to complete objectives.
the original (realeased 2000) was indeed voice-acted: as far as i can tell, returning characters in Invisible War have the same voice actors. The voice acting wasn't always stunning (the Hong Kong levels got a lot of flak) but it had its moments ("I vanted Orange: It gave me lemon-lime!").

As for the multiple objectives thingy, that is very much what makes Deus Ex, Deus Ex. What I do think Invisible War has done a lot better, is to make it all non linear - when you make different choices, it will effect how the game pans out. In Deus Ex 1, a lot of the decisions you make are premature - if you choose not to fight a certain character for instance, you're just postponing the inevitable. What I think it did better, was really made you choose how to play the game - Invisible War gets rid of the Skills system, wherein you got experience points and had to "spend" them on weapons skills and such - a unskilled rifle user has a aiming cone measured in metres for example: sniping is virtually impossible at low experience levels because your aim waves around so much. Deus Ex 1 also did stealth better... not that it doesn't suffer from similar flaws to IW, but at least you could hide in the shadows!

In a way, playing the games this way round is better because you're as ignorant about the Dentons as the character you play... and one of the biggest plot twists isn't blindingly obvious to you before you even buy the game! I'd personally go for the PC version, but if you hit compatability troubles, get the PS2 version.

Edit: if you like Deus Ex 1, you'll probably also like System Shock 2. It uses the same RPG/FPS style, but replaces stealth and branching gameplay with horror and a cool persistant world (you can return to the early levels to look for stuff pretty much until the end of the game, and all the items you drop will remain). Its hard to come by, but comes recommended as one of the few examples of the RPG/FPS hybrid.

Last edited by kupoartist; Feb 1st, 2004 at 04:41 PM..
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Well, I got me a copy of DE - Invisible War... and un-installed it after about 5 minutes!

I have a P4 2.4ghz, 1GB RAM, GeForce 4Ti and it runs likes a dog.... hideous looking... The frame rate is like having blocks of lego thrown at your face!

Star Wars Galaxies is one gorgeous looking game - and it runs quicker than Invisible War... Hell, even Halo which wasn't eactly optimised either runs smoothly on my system!

How on earth can a game as shoddy looking as IW run about 100x slower than UT2003 (I get about 60fps on UT2003)?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a graphics whore... but you need to have a certain minimum framerate for a game to be playable...

I loved the first Deus Ex - and I still do.... I'm so glad I didn't buy the sequel!

- S
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM   #6
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
I have a P4 2.4ghz, 1GB RAM, GeForce 4Ti and it runs likes a dog.... hideous looking... The frame rate is like having blocks of lego thrown at your face!

How on earth can a game as shoddy looking as IW run about 100x slower than UT2003 (I get about 60fps on UT2003)?

- S
exactly the kinda reasons i stand by consoles for my gaming needs.

Thanks for the info on the original game kupoartist. Deus ex will probably be a little hard to find for the ps2 though. I'll check out the used games bin from time to time, or if i can find it brand new i'll pick it up.

skill points would've been pretty neat, especially with the neural interface mod.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Dactrius is on a distinguished road
It's disheartening to hear people say that DE2 is inferior to the original. I loved the first and played it non-stop for a week. Other than Morrowind it's the only massively open ended RPG I've played and I hoped for the same in the sequel. My friend has a beast of a machine and even he had troubles running it. I gave it a go myself. The graphics were poor and the frame-rate was s-l-o-w. The XBox demo runs better though, but a lot of people have been saying the controls are bad. I didn't get that feeling myself though...

The original was and still is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. I recommend it to anyone so long as they can stand playing an RPG in first person.
Dactrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #8
Infernal Mass
pariah

just finished up the game. pretty good overall, i give it about a 8.5. Good story, and i have a special place in my heart for games that offer multiple solutions.

Ponits deducted for bad AI, loading times..and that's about all the complaints i have with it.

If anyone is reading this and considering trying this game out. I recommend putting the game on hard difficulty. The normal setting was just too easy. Although i did run out of ammunition on liberty island, throughout the game i was fully stocked on medkits snacks after leaving seattle.

probably due to only having one mod that consumed energy. Although i rarely ever used the health regeneration.