View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #22
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

Ahhhh! Asian's don't = disgusting. You just heard some racist bastards speak out, which should be a crime. Too many people are racist in the US. Upset, angry, and jealous. But for every racist there are nice people in the US. Trust me on this, not everybody is stuck up on image and other people's opinions. It's just that some people are.
Heh, yeah I have. Ever since I was a kid, so that's why I'm a little upset against racists and all that. I know there's a lot of those people in other countries too and I know that many people have become a little more open to other cultures, but I still have those racist incidenst in my mind.

Quote:
And Meryl is right about the popularity thing. Game shows used to be damn popular two years ago in the US and now you have to order the Game Show network or stay up late to see one.
Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. This is what I fear about anime. I don't want anime to be just "another craze". This is what saddens me the most but I hope that with fans such as you, Vicious, myself, and many others, anime won't disappear or be "yesterday's news".

Quote:
I don't think that is the case. I think people in America who enjoy Anime just don't want to wait forever to watch something and understand what they are saying with out having to read for 20 straight minutes. I don't think they want their own style they just don't want to wait that long or learn a new language. I think that a lot of fans of Anime in America could come up with great ideas for new Animes.
I'm pretty sure that many fans of anime could come up with great stuff. I even know this one guy who said that he and his friend just might make an anime soon and I'm happy about that! I'm really glad, Preventer, that you stated that maybe American fans don't want their own style (Amerianime? ) but just want to have anime to understand and know. The only reason why I'm so...testy on this fact is because I don't like those anime styles which are anime..but have a little bit of cartoon in them. You guys know what I'm saying? ^^;;; I dunno...kinda looks odd.

Quote:
I think it is damn selfish to say Anime should only be made by Japanese people. That's like saying Basketball can only be played by Blacks because most good players are Black! THAT IS TOTAL BS AND IT IS RACIST! To blame it on their culture and "way of behavior" is so damn wrong! If that is truly how they feel then I give up watching it! But of course I have to believe you because you are Asian. RIGHT. I am part Asian myself and my grandmother is 100% Asian. Yet I don't claim I know part of everything that is Asian because I don't.

But you know what, I am 100% American. So maybe you don't know what I am talking about. It's just my culture and way of behavior that makes me like this.
I sense slight mocking in your post. While you say that it's BS and racist for for people to say "Only blacks could play b-ball", I think that a majority knows that a large percent of players are black. Another thing: someone mentioned earlier that it's almost like if saying white people shouldn't rap...okay...well, if there was an Asian person who decided to come over to the US and rap....do you think that a large majority would listen to it? I know that many probably wouldn't. To begin with, it's just odd to many that an Asian would rap...and I'm pretty sure that many would also say "Man, Asians should just not rap!" It's the same thing....why do you think an Asian rapper hasn't appeared in the US? And I know there are some Cantonese rappers/hiphop/R&B in Hong Kong (Johnny Cheung, for one) and he speaks English pretty well. But, he hasn't made it over here and he's popular in Hong Kong.
What I'm trying to say in that above post is that if things are traditionally a certain way, they should just stay that way. I mean, even though there are some Asian singers who'd like to make it big in the US, they know that it's kinda tough so they just make it big in their own country and whoever likes Asian music can import it.
I'm not saying that I know everything Asian because I'm born in the US and hung around Americans a lot....but I also kept some of my Asian roots....and plus, since I now associate with Asians now, I have met some Japanese people (not become friends, mind you only aqcuaintances) and their behavior is the same as I mentioned already. And if you guys don't believe me on "the Japanese would like to keep anime to Japanese", you can go onto AnimeNation and read the archives of that "Ask John" guy. I always had a feeling about the whole Japanese only thing, but there's a recent question called "Western mangaka" and he states it. And he's clearly an Anime/Manga/Japan guru, so you can take his word for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

Also Meryl I dont think you should apologise if you offended anyone in your posts. You have every right to express yourself in any manner you deem fit . Id hate for you to sensor yourself too much and we not get the full effect of your stance on the issue.
I'm not censoring myself at all....but I just didn't want to offend anyone on here because I know how I would hate to be offended myself.

Once again, I would like to say that I'm not saying that Americans shouldn't make their own anime. If they get the anime style down where it looks exactly like anime (because I seriously do not like those anime/cartoon types....anyone seen the newer "Dirty Pair" manga by that comic book artist? I didn't like it) then I'm all up for it. If anyone wants to go over to Japan and be a mangaka or draw anime, by all means, go for it! But as for me, I just enjoy anime from Japan more that's all and it's only my opinion.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04306 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,938KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start