Thread: Cooking Mama
View Single Post
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM   #8
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
My sister bought "Cooking Mama: Cook Off" today and we gave it a go. Here's my thoughts:

The gameplay is pretty much the same as the DS version (chop, stew, mold, etc.) so those who've played it should feel right at home; I think there are a few new "moves" but I haven't gotten far enough to know. The graphics are similar to the first as well except some of the ingredients and end results look slightly more improved and realistic looking. It makes me hungry playing the game!

The food list have expanded to desserts and international cuisines like Borscht, Tortillas, Cream Puffs, and more. This gives the game a bit more variety than the first. And because of the international cuisine, you've got international friends to compete against (too bad they're all girls). So you can challenge your French or Russian friend in making their native recipe (such as competing against your Japanese friend in making sushi). Each nationality gets their own theme/jingle song while cooking. Though it's not much, it's a lot better than the same jingle heard in the DS and also heard in this game's single and multi-player. Depending on the outcome of the battle, you get prizes that you can put in your virtual kitchen. Unfortunately, this virtual kitchen is so dull and boring because you can't interact with anything (not even zoom in or out).

The multiplayer mode is really fun to play because, well...you get to compete against your friends (who do not have super abilities like the AI). A multiplayer mode was missing from the DS so this is a welcome addition. You must unlock the recipes from single-player mode in order to play in multiplayer but this isn't a huge issue. As for single-player, it's the same as the DS. This time though, after you beat the recipe the first time, you can "Challenge" the recipe (which is almost the same as the challenges in the DS version) and earn points (though I don't know what these points are for).

Also, "Mama" and the international friends have voices now, so you can hear Mama commenting on your performance during and after the recipe. The good thing (but perhaps bad for some) is they didn't bother dubbing Mama's voice...so you basically have a Japanese female speaking heavily accented and sometimes incorrect English. So you'd hear "Geh-ting beh-tah!" (Getting better!) or "I'll hel-roop for you" (I'll help for you or correctly, "I'll help you"). The friends all speak in their native tongue which is a huge plus, at least for me.

Using the Remote to play makes the game fun and a pain at the same time. It's fun because the motions are a bit more realistic now. You can turn the remote sideways to roll out dough or to crank the meat grinder. And certain motions for cutting (like slicing shrimp) is pretty realistic and fun too...

...yet, the downside comes from the motion sensor. The sensor doesn't always register at the right time so you end up missing a few crucial steps and fail the recipe. Also, even though it's encouraged to turn the remote to make the step realistic, it doesn't always work because of the sensor. They tell you to turn the remote sideways to roll out dough...but it works better (and it's much easier) to simply point and shake the controller. Another downside is how incredibly anal the game is. The DS version was pretty nitpicky too but with the stylus, it was a bit more manageable. But this time with the remote, every single motion must be done exactly or you'll fail. A few examples: cutting squid or peeling shrimp. You have to hold down the B button and follow the arrow. That's all well and good but with the motion sensor and that you have to follow the line exactly (along with the timer ticking along), it makes that step a real pain to perform. A few hours into the game and you might end up having carpel tunnel because of all the excessive hand-wrist movement that is needed.

I don't think the game is bad because there's a good amount of replayability and variety this time; but I definitely don't think it's worth the $50 price tag.

Whoa, I didn't realize I actually wrote a review, hehe. But there you have it for those who are curious.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 23rd, 2007 at 06:52 AM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02259 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,927KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo