View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #38
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
that's always a risk, but TR 1,2,3 and 4 compare very poorly with MGS 1,2,3 and 4. There were no really big leaps made in the Tomb Raider games ever, we were playing the same game again, and again and again, no matter how the level designers dressed up and textured each "tomb" as a different locale (venice, the jungle, the arctic: they're all tomb-like) - the MGS games should be commended for their utterly distinct feel, their ability to keep it fresh.
I wasn't exactly comparing the "TR" series with "MGS" on a literal basis; I know these series are completely different in genre, story, and so on, but what I meant to do was just compare the idea of a long-running franchise that appeared successful in the beginning, but slowly diminished in popularity and/or style/good taste. Of course, obviously, "TR" went downhill much faster than "MGS" but there is the possibility that the same fate could happen with the "MGS" series, one will never know.

Quote:
Sons of Liberty wasn't all that different, but Snake Eater was frankly such a turn-around for the series that I'm confident that the series is far less likely to grow "tired".
Please don't get me wrong. It isn't that I want the "MGS" series to end. I mean, right after playing "Snake Eater" and thinking that this was the supposed "final" game to the series, I was severely depressed for a few days. Because, as you said, "Snake Eater" was a complete turn-around and it was incredibly fresh in all aspects of the gameplay and the story/character development were much more emotional and complex than the previous games. So, I was really upset it was the last one. But, once I heard there'll be a fourth game, I was thrilled.

But the idea of continuing the series and without Kojima in the director's chair left me sort of doubtful and fearful. Yes, it's possible the new director and/or the new team might make the future "MGS" games as much a success as the formers, but what if they don't? They might feel the pressure to live up to the name of the series and Kojima's legacy, so they'll wreck their brains trying to figure out an outstanding plot that'll blow the previous ones away and, as a result, the whole thing might come out convoluted and messy. Or they might not be able to keep the spirit or the style of the series as Kojima intended. Then the gamers who supported the continuation of the series will begin whining and bitching, "Omigod, what happened here?" or "This is not what we want! What's wrong with them?!" or "This game sucks! Why'd they make more?" and blah, blah, blah.

This is exactly what happened with the "Tomb Raider" series. Gamers wanted the series to continue and with the non-linear plot, it is so very possible to continue the series successfully as long as they stick with the elements that made the first game shine and a great story. But no. Gamers wanted more, they wanted more features, more clothes, better graphics, and so on. Then what happened? Everything started getting sour. Gamers complained...but some still bought it. And yes, I realize that CORE became greedy, stupid, and lazy, so they figured they already made a successful franchise so they can just cheat consumers out and I know that Kojima or the future director/team wouldn't become that way(hopefully) so there shouldn't be any worries and I shouldn't compare. But, if CORE had the same passion as Kojima, they really should've:

a) left the series at number 2 or 3
or
b) continued, but made the games unique and fresher than the formers.

So, what I'm trying to say is, too much of a good thing can be bad. Why not just leave the series at it's peak popularity or it's peak success? As in, letting gamers remember the games as a real legend, a real classic. And, as I said earlier, even though the future "TR" games were horrendous, some still bought it. Do you really want the outstanding "MGS" series to turn into something cheap like that? And yes, as I said, the future team might not turn money-greedy, but you'll never know. They might put out something mediocre, but just because it's the "MGS" name, people will still buy it.

Wanting more isn't bad, but it's because I love this series so and admire Kojima so much that I just want, excuse me if I'm being selfish, the games to be directed and done only by Kojima and his current team. Which is why I worry. And of course, I could be wrong in all that I'm saying; the future games might turn out fantastic and if that's the case, then I'll be very happy and admit that I was wrong in my doubts.

EDIT: Also, may I add that people might not care so much for the "MGS" series as much as some of us. I mean, "MGS3" didn't even win "Game of the Year"...instead, that honor went to "GTA: San Andreas"! Honestly, not being all fanboyish here, but it just goes to show that people prefer something involving random shooting and profanity instead of a game with a real passion running through its veins.

Quote:
and you know what? He may look faintly like Magnum PI in a sneaking suit, but I damn-well like Snake's new look.
Alrighty, I don't know if you're being hostile with this phrase, but I don't really mind old Snake, but I just don't like thinking about old people in general because they depress me so. Maybe I am just uber-sensitive to the needs and the idea of the elderly, but the idea that Snake is "aging" to this state, makes me fear and saddened at the fact that he could, well, very well die. Okay, so maybe it's really the idea of the death of a legendary hero that saddens me moreso than the elderly aspect and the oldness is just enhancing my fear. Oh God...Kojima won't make him die in "MGS4" will he?!?!

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Feb 10th, 2006 at 03:00 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02957 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,940KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo