View Single Post
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #39
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Hero

The thing is... Not a lot of Asians here in California are into Anime. Most of the Asians that we get anime from are adults, and older people. I've dated a Chinese girl and a Vietnamese girl and neither of them were into anime.
Well, to be honest, the whole "Asian girl" thing...not many of the Asian girls are into anime because of the whole issue that Asian girls are supposed to be "girly" and "into fashion". But I am surprised that you say that some other Asians you're friends with aren't into it. I mean, there is this one Asian guy from California who actually moved over to my town and he's into anime. He's gone now (back to CA I think) but while he was here, he was informing all the people about all these things. I never associated with him because he was too arrogant to me.
However....I can understand the whole "Asians" not being into the anime thing. Since anime is very common over in their countries (I mean, if you were an Asian person, the last thing you'd want to do is like something that's common in your own country. Asians have a thing like that: since they're trying hard to be "Americans" they're trying to push away their Asian "roots"). So anime is probably "boring" and "uninteresting" to them. But not all are like that, like that guy from CA.

Quote:
Where did I get anime from? From all my childhood American friends. It's not that much about Asian's bringing it over, at least here in California. I can't vouch for New York but here in California, anime has already become something for everyone.
Here's also another point though. You got your anime from your childhood American friends because Americans being exposed to this sort of thing is new. Like I said before, many like to find the hippest and newest things around and anime is one of those things that would be "new" to Americans because they never seen anything like this before.

I guess I should re-phrase all that I'm trying to say. Some Asians can introduce people to anime and Americans can too. Why? Asians can because it's common in their country and they'll have a lot of knowledge on it (if they're interested). Americans can because it's a totally different thing and they'll go all crazy over it because it's exciting and new (if they're into it). There are many different reasons, but because I keep hearing that "People in CA and NY are most into anime because they have stuff". It's probably stereotypical...and I guess I fell for it. I'm sorry to have sounded "all knowledgable" on this topic. I've been exposed to some Asians liking anime (there are a billion Koreans who adore anime in my school) and I've never really met any Asian not into it. That's why I said what I said. I also heard that since people in CA have all that stuff (stores, hobby places, etc.) they would be more into the anime. But I guess that was also stereotypical. I sincerely apologize for any confusion I may have caused. Thanks for telling me all these facts everyone.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03183 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,920KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start