View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #42
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
yea, it's strategic marketing.

the publishing companies have the various regions catagorized, according to what audience will most likely buy what. Unfortunately, the majority of gamers outside of Japan just aren't likely to put the money down on the more extravagant editions of games..and the gamers who would buy these special editions lose to the majority.

Outside of specialty retailers like Gamestop lots of the LE/CE/SE/boxed sets..never make it outta Japan. Mostly due to the fact that Japanese gamers spend the money. That's slowly changing though, from what I've noticed there's been alot more LE/SE/CE games being released here in the United States. Example of this is the Final Fantasy XII Collectors Edition...this is the first type of Square/Enix release to come in a CE packaging. Although, it is limited to specialty retailers like Gamestop much like the MGS: Subsistence LE..it's still a start. These editions are nothing compared to the box sets Japan gets though, on that springs to mind is the Biohazard 4 box set..that was hardcore.
I agree. It's a good thing that things seem to be changing and special edition stuff are getting brought over...it'll be nice to get a boxset of a game that's fully translated instead of purchasing a LE/SE boxset with the original language game along with purchasing a translated game *cough* MGS3 Boxset *cough*. But in FFXII's case, I can't help but wonder why choose this game as a CE out of all of the past games that were much better (of course, I don't know if FFXII sucks or not, but it just seems odd to do so now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
As for the Europeans always getting jyped/ I still disagree..as i mentioned ICO, an exclusive Sony title and one of the best games on ps2 was released in special packagin and printed on a DVD-rom, PAL version is superior to the NTSC version in every regard. Silent Hill 3 was released on PAL format almost half a year in advance. Futhermore Final Fantyasy X international never saw a NTSC release.
Even though I agree with you on ICO and maybe a few other games; like I also believe Shenmue 2 was released in Europe for the Dreamcast? Sure, it's not one of the best games, but it's better having it on the DC rather than the Xbox, which kept messing up. But I don't know what to say really because it does seem Europe is always getting screwed over. Again, not the best example, but look at Katamari Damacy...Europe only received the sequel which is downright sad for such an original and quirky game. Plus, Europe always seems to get delays on most of their games.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02416 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,914KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start