Thread: Starcraft
View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #34
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
Red Alert was...okay, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the better RTS games to grace the gamer world, but StarCraft is just as good, if not a little bit better because of tactics diversity.

The problem with in my experience ALL C&C games is that the games devolve into slugfests after a while, with whoever can muster the greatest force of tanks and/or air cover being victorious. StarCraft has this problem in the beginning, but not so much near the end of a game, when rescources run low but are stockpiled in players' accounts. Talented players can utilize SC's high octane units and tear apart rushes with ease while smaller or just more diverse forces of theirs crush an opponent's base.

Of course, this all depends on who you play and the average player. Right now (I just TRIED playing StarCraft for some nostalgia a couple of weeks ago, online) the SC gaming community is overrun with, pardon my slightly racist overtones (I'm really not) cheating koreans & quebeqois, and arrogant Americans who seem to be mostly unintelligent and incapable of playing a fun, fair game. While C&C (Generals) has possibly the highest by-volume content of whiners out there. Occasionally you will find a gem though! Forge a team game where roles are really assigned and cover is given. Just a couple of nights ago I played a great game that must have lasted an hour (on the fastest speed setting. Phew! Why do people have to play so fast!?) where I played American and concentrated almost entirely on Air power and small forces of infantry to garrison lookouts, while my allies concentrated on Land armies consisting of tanks and infantry (One was Chinese, the other American). Our opponents played similarly, and I actually caught myself staring instead of fighting as huge tank armies clashed in the middle of a city while infantry took up positions in civillian buildings and Raptors and Migs crisscrossed the sky overhead delivering their payloads.

Heh. Actually that's at least one more aspect SC is at a disadvantage; Graphics. WAY outdated. *laughs* Though I do remember a few points of "Cooooooooool" when I first played the game, visualwise.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02210 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,883KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start