View Single Post
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #5
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Wow, it's been such a long time since I last played FF8, that I hardly remember how I used to junction the GFs to the characters. Let's see if I can...
  • Squall : Diablos, Bahamut, and later on, Eden. Important abilities for this group: Counter, Cover, auto-Protect, HP +80%, Str +60%, Revive.
  • Rinoa (): Leviathan and Pandemona. Important abilities: SumMag +40%, Magic +60%, ElemAtk x4, Recover, auto-Shell.
  • Quistis: Siren, Cerberus, and Alexander. Important abilities: Magic +60%, ElemDef x4, Spd +40%, atuo-Shell.
  • Zell: Quezacolt, Shiva, and Tonberry King (just cause Zell beat him ). [i]Important abilities: ElemAtk x4, Str +60%, Spd +40%.
  • Selphie: Carbuncle, Doomtrain, Jumbo Cactuary. Important abilities: auto-Haste, Magic +60%, Spr +60%, auto-Shell, auto-Protect, Return Damage.
  • Irvine: Ifrit, The Brothers. Important abilities: Str +60%, HP +80%, Vit +60%.

Yep, I found that pairing up the guardian forces with these specific characters worked best for me. Admittedly, some of the GF, like Tonberry King and Carbuncle (although very cute), I didn't use as much. In fact, Tonberry wasn't a very important GF for me, aside from its ability to let you use any shop you've already been to, which you will see come in handy very much later in the game (think disc 4). Carbuncle, well... I dunno about the rest, but I was never a fan of Reflect magic. Sure it's great to null and throw back the lesser magics (like the ones labeled fire1, fire2, fire3, etc), but I didn't find it useful for the devastating magics, like Ultima, Flater, Meteor because, uh, it doesn't work! Plus, later in the game you find yourself in need of healing magic during battles, and if Reflect is there, well, unless you quickly cast reflect on the enemies before casting healing magic, then you're screwed. Not good. That's why after around Disc 2, I found Carbuncle to be of not much use and only kept him around for his innate abilities.

The abilities I choose I think work great with my particular set-up. I do think you can only junction 3 or 4 abilities at a time, though, so sometimes you end up swapping them for particular points in the game. Also, some of the abilities I listen do not pertain to the respective GFs; I obtained a lot of cool abilities via items for the GFs. Some were really hard to find and very pricey, though.

Oh, and Mourdor has a good point: Aside from the islands on the edges of the eastern and western hemisperes on the map (Island closest to Hell and Heaven), the location where you find Bahamut is a great place to level up. Doomtrain is excellent for that because of the status' it causes on enemies thwarting their attacks, but if for some reason it is unavailable, you can always use Siren and the Status Atk-Junc ability.

And Mourdor is right again: You should get those GFs ASAP, not only because they are some of the strongest in the game, but also because getting them in Ultimecia's castle can be a bitch. It's actually a bit harder than people think.

Spoiler: show
Man, I LOVED the final battle. The randomness of it made me get all excited and crap. Argh! But I HATED it when I got Rinoa in my team. Stupid girl. It's all her fault!

But yes... don't you love this game? ^__^
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03090 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,912KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end